Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

WhiteTreeFox

man thanks for all the answers so far you guys are way awesome!! I do have one more question which hopefully will be easy:

Can I alone register for a table if I have a paid Fanime registration even if my friend (who will be sharing a table with me) does not? The reason is because I'd like to register a table but if we are unable to grab one we won't be going to Fanime at all, so I was hoping we would both not have to register for the table since the badges are non refundable.

So I guess, what I am asking is: Do we need to provide registration information for all people behind the table at the AA registration? I hope that makes sense!!

thank you sooo much everyone, I really do appreciate it (:

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: WhiteTreeFox on January 31, 2011, 05:33:34 PM
man thanks for all the answers so far you guys are way awesome!! I do have one more question which hopefully will be easy:

Can I alone register for a table if I have a paid Fanime registration even if my friend (who will be sharing a table with me) does not? The reason is because I'd like to register a table but if we are unable to grab one we won't be going to Fanime at all, so I was hoping we would both not have to register for the table since the badges are non refundable.

So I guess, what I am asking is: Do we need to provide registration information for all people behind the table at the AA registration? I hope that makes sense!!

thank you sooo much everyone, I really do appreciate it (:

That should be alright, just as long as you're the one registering for the table (since you have a paid registration) and you provide the information of the person you're sharing with when table assignments and such are being finalized. I hope you get a table; Fanime is really worth going to! :)
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

WhiteTreeFox

Ren_Zhao thank you for your uber fast reply! You're the best  ;D

Quatrina

Hi I'm trying to get into the artist alley this year and I have some questions about it! Mostly just about what it's like, since I have never been. I live in Texas, and am trying to branch out into some out of state cons. I have been looking through this thread but it's so much to wade through, especially since it spans from last year too! Is there an organized general AA FAQ with this sort of information on it anywhere? If not I think it would be really beneficial to make one so people who are new to the con know better what to expect!

Anyway, here are some questions I have:

Does the AA have hours? Does it shut down and go behind security or something at a certain time, or can artists stay there at all hours? (I usually go to A-kon, which is split into a level of each kind, though I really prefer being able to stay at my table late at night rather than being kicked out at a certain hour.)

Are there ridiculous fanart rules? It seems more and more cons are adopting no fanart policies or trying to limit or regulate it, which I think is a terrible thing both for artists and the cons! If it has any rules at all restricting fanart, it's basically a "you're not welcome here" to me, and I would hate to commit to an expensive flight and hotel room and not even be able to make anything back!

I found the post where it says you have to have a paid fanime badge before getting a table, but if I don't have a table to make some money I likely won't be able to go to the con at all! Can you get refunds for those if plans fall through? Have you considered packaging badges with tables like some cons do?

I'm sure there are more things I should be asking, but I can't think of them right now. Any help would be appreciated!

Haruka

To those of you wondering how early you can get a Seller's Permit, I do not believe there is a date deadline.  I applied for mine at the end of January and the permit and tax paperwork has already arrived.
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: WhiteTreeFox on February 01, 2011, 09:45:02 PM
Ren_Zhao thank you for your uber fast reply! You're the best  ;D

Aww thanks, I'm trying my best to check back everyday! (:

Quote from: Quatrina on February 03, 2011, 06:31:28 PM
Hi I'm trying to get into the artist alley this year and I have some questions about it! Mostly just about what it's like, since I have never been. I live in Texas, and am trying to branch out into some out of state cons. I have been looking through this thread but it's so much to wade through, especially since it spans from last year too! Is there an organized general AA FAQ with this sort of information on it anywhere? If not I think it would be really beneficial to make one so people who are new to the con know better what to expect!

I think that is a good idea, and I will create an AA FAQ thread. (:
Edit:
(To be honest, I need sleep tonight...getting sick.. but I will get on that ASAP!)
In the meantime, here's the FAQ from 2009. The information still holds true, besides all the stuff about specific years.
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11694.0.html

Does the AA have hours? Does it shut down and go behind security or something at a certain time, or can artists stay there at all hours? (I usually go to A-kon, which is split into a level of each kind, though I really prefer being able to stay at my table late at night rather than being kicked out at a certain hour.)

Sorry, the AA will have hours. They are from morning until evening, usually about 10 AM to 6 PM, if I remember correctly. The hours may change for this year, so that's just an estimate! Artists always get one hour before opening and one hour after closing to set up and break down/pack up tables. So, make sure you have a place to go after AA is closed!

Are there ridiculous fanart rules? It seems more and more cons are adopting no fanart policies or trying to limit or regulate it, which I think is a terrible thing both for artists and the cons! If it has any rules at all restricting fanart, it's basically a "you're not welcome here" to me, and I would hate to commit to an expensive flight and hotel room and not even be able to make anything back!

Fanart is definitely welcome. Copying artwork or any sort of plagiarism, is not. As long as you aren't mass-printing copies of your fanart, it's fine. Also, to be safe, be sure to keep in mind the 30% rule. Companies can't complain about your fanart if you have changed 30% of the character, including color and clothes. ;P Other than that, we look forward to seeing your artwork, fanart or not!

I found the post where it says you have to have a paid fanime badge before getting a table, but if I don't have a table to make some money I likely won't be able to go to the con at all! Can you get refunds for those if plans fall through? Have you considered packaging badges with tables like some cons do?

So far, there's been no news about packaging badges with tables for this year, although we may have tried that in a prior year... If you can't make it this year because you didn't get in for a table (which I hope is not the case!), then the worst case is you can always transfer your badge to the next year or to a friend, as long as you notify someone. I'll let you know if there's any updates from the AA side, but for now assume badges are under the registration department and tables are under artist alley.

Hope that helped you!

Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

ewu

Some additions and corrections. but thanks Ren_Zhao for fielding them first.

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on February 04, 2011, 01:42:39 AM
Sorry, the AA will have hours. They are from morning until evening, usually about 10 AM to 6 PM, if I remember correctly. The hours may change for this year, so that's just an estimate! Artists always get one hour before opening and one hour after closing to set up and break down/pack up tables. So, make sure you have a place to go after AA is closed!

Hours should be something close to this:
Friday (2:00pm – 8:00pm)
Saturday (10:30am – 7:00pm)
Sunday (10:30am – 7:00pm)
Monday (10:30am – 4:00pm)

Also, to be safe, be sure to keep in mind the 30% rule. Companies can't complain about your fanart if you have changed 30% of the character, including color and clothes.

There is no such rule....I cannot begin to explain the complexity of the law...BUT here is the the rule: There may not be reproductions of any existing licensed merchandise in any form. This includes the tracing, copying, scanning, downloading or editing of copyrighted artwork, characters and logos if such works are not the original creation of the artist.

We will not be packaging the memberships with the tables. We may try that in future years but not this year.

see post below: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13534.msg405363.html#msg405363

If you can't make it this year because you didn't get in for a table (which I hope is not the case!), then the worst case is you can always transfer your membership to the next year or to a friend, as long as you notify someone.

Note that when you register you acknowledge that the memberships are nonrefundable and nontransferable. If you do not get a table, we will not be able to refund your membership. The Alley is intended for artists to get together and share works.

We would love for you to be able to sell your works and make some money off of it, but when it comes to a point where artists are making lots of of money or basically going to the convention for free it makes us reconsider the goals and the mood that the artists bring to this event. The table cost is substantially subsidized in comparison to the cost of the event. FanimeCon membership fees pay for much of the cost. We have the Alley so that members can come in an see a variety of artists and enjoy the artists' works. However, when is it that it shifts from the artist paying for their own con experience to every other member paying for the artist's experience? When does the balance shift to where the members are paying a disproportionate cost for the artists to be here, the members are paying too much for the event to be set up, and the money would be better spent on other forms of programming?

Sorry to be such a hardass, but these are the rules and they have all been established for their individual reasons. If you have any questions about them, please email artistalleyATfanimeDOTcom or registrationATfanimeDOTcom depending on your question.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Quatrina

QuoteWe would love for you to be able to sell your works and make some money off of it, but when it comes to a point where artists are making lots of of money or basically going to the convention for free it makes us reconsider the goals and the mood that the artists bring to this event. The table cost is substantially subsidized in comparison to the cost of the event. FanimeCon membership fees pay for much of the cost. We have the Alley so that members can come in an see a variety of artists and enjoy the artists' works. However, when is it that it shifts from the artist paying for their own con experience to every other member paying for the artist's experience? When does the balance shift to where the members are paying a disproportionate cost for the artists to be here, the members are paying too much for the event to be set up, and the money would be better spent on other forms of programming?

I'm sorry, but that attitude doesn't even make any sense. Do you think artists SHOULDN'T be making money or something? OF COURSE artists go to these cons with the goal of making money! Sure they want to meet other people and all that too, but it is the fact that they are making money that allows them to do that. For some people it's not worth a plane ticket and hotel room just to go to a con. Not all of us have the disposable income to do something that will ultimately only end up as a huge drain. That's why I've so far only been able to go to local cons. We take the risk that we won't break even, but we hope to at least make up some of the cost with our tables. And seeing it as the other members paying for the artist's experience is really skewed logic. They're paying for art, and they choose which artists to support. Obviously some artists will be more successful than others, that's true everywhere. The artists do give the con money both for their table and membership, what more do you want from them? If you really feel like artists are more of a drain on the con than an asset, that's really not a welcoming attitude, and it makes me feel you would be happier abolishing the artist alley altogether.

haircurl

Quote from: Quatrina on February 04, 2011, 10:19:10 AM
QuoteWe would love for you to be able to sell your works and make some money off of it, but when it comes to a point where artists are making lots of of money or basically going to the convention for free it makes us reconsider the goals and the mood that the artists bring to this event. The table cost is substantially subsidized in comparison to the cost of the event. FanimeCon membership fees pay for much of the cost. We have the Alley so that members can come in an see a variety of artists and enjoy the artists' works. However, when is it that it shifts from the artist paying for their own con experience to every other member paying for the artist's experience? When does the balance shift to where the members are paying a disproportionate cost for the artists to be here, the members are paying too much for the event to be set up, and the money would be better spent on other forms of programming?

I'm sorry, but that attitude doesn't even make any sense. Do you think artists SHOULDN'T be making money or something? OF COURSE artists go to these cons with the goal of making money! Sure they want to meet other people and all that too, but it is the fact that they are making money that allows them to do that. For some people it's not worth a plane ticket and hotel room just to go to a con. Not all of us have the disposable income to do something that will ultimately only end up as a huge drain. That's why I've so far only been able to go to local cons. We take the risk that we won't break even, but we hope to at least make up some of the cost with our tables. And seeing it as the other members paying for the artist's experience is really skewed logic. They're paying for art, and they choose which artists to support. Obviously some artists will be more successful than others, that's true everywhere. The artists do give the con money both for their table and membership, what more do you want from them? If you really feel like artists are more of a drain on the con than an asset, that's really not a welcoming attitude, and it makes me feel you would be happier abolishing the artist alley altogether.

+1

I have to agree. As for the part about abolishing AA, just so you know the only reason me and my group of friends even bother with Fanime is to make money and chill at AA. If we weren't making any profit and literally only making enough to get back for the badge and table, none of us would bother. Keep in mind, we also have to pay to MAKE the stuff out of our own pocket. As for the other members, like you said, they pick which artists they want to spend their money on.

M

Quote from: haircurl on February 04, 2011, 10:26:54 AM+1

I have to agree. As for the part about abolishing AA, just so you know the only reason me and my group of friends even bother with Fanime is to make money and chill at AA. If we weren't making any profit and literally only making enough to get back for the badge and table, none of us would bother. Keep in mind, we also have to pay to MAKE the stuff out of our own pocket. As for the other members, like you said, they pick which artists they want to spend their money on.
I think you two are looking into what Eric said too much.

FanimeCon provides the AA for artists of all skillsets and it is there for people to show off their craft. The rules and policies that has been set are there to ensure that they are fair among everyone that sells anything at FanimeCon (Dealers, I'm looking at you). In previous years, we've seen a huge number of artists coming into AA with the intent of modifying others artworks to make a quick buck. This is not the intent of FanimeCon and is one of the many reasons why we set so many rules for AA.

I am not sure if I am allowed to say this, but FanimeCon actually takes a huge cost hit to allow the AA to happen and we take that hit to allow everyone to enjoy the works of the artists in there. I'm not saying this so that you guys will start to pity us or anything, but I felt like you two are just taking Eric's quote the wrong way.

TLDR: We love the artists that are in the Artists Alley. We have rules that are set for a certain reason. If some of the rules rubs you the wrong way, just ask (e-mail, forum post, etc.) before reacting.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

haircurl

Quote from: MPLe on February 04, 2011, 10:43:29 AM

FanimeCon provides the AA for artists of all skillsets and it is there for people to show off their craft. The rules and policies that has been set are there to ensure that they are fair among everyone that sells anything at FanimeCon (Dealers, I'm looking at you). In previous years, we've seen a huge number of artists coming into AA with the intent of modifying others artworks to make a quick buck. This is not the intent of FanimeCon and is one of the many reasons why we set so many rules for AA.

I am not sure if I am allowed to say this, but FanimeCon actually takes a huge cost hit to allow the AA to happen and we take that hit to allow everyone to enjoy the works of the artists in there. I'm not saying this so that you guys will start to pity us or anything, but I felt like you two are just taking Eric's quote the wrong way.

TLDR: We love the artists that are in the Artists Alley. We have rules that are set for a certain reason. If some of the rules rubs you the wrong way, just ask (e-mail, forum post, etc.) before reacting.

Understandable. All conventions have rules and whatnot. I guess he worded it wrong, and he made it sound like artists shouldn't be allowed to profit. To be blunt, that last bit was random considering it had nothing to do with the reply.

Quatrina

Quote from: MPLe on February 04, 2011, 10:43:29 AM
Quote from: haircurl on February 04, 2011, 10:26:54 AM+1

This isn't even about rules in the slightest. We know there are those, and I think at least those of us who have been doing this for a while understand them for the most part. I know there's the odd person who dabbles in plagiarism and such, but I like to think more often than not the artists at the alley do their own work and the ones that don't get caught and removed. But this isn't about that, either. And I do realize that cons cost a lot of money to put on. I guess he thinks artists shouldn't be in it for the money or something, but the fact is even if we aren't really, it's the money that makes it possible for us to go be a part of the con in the first place. What I have a problem with is implying that we can't be a positive influence on the con if our goal there is to make money. We can certainly meet new people, make new friends, and do all those fun con things while we make money at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. Honestly, for this one I'd be happy to even come close to breaking even just for the opportunity to go to a con I've never been to before with a friend I don't get to see often due to geographical differences.

M

Quote from: haircurl on February 04, 2011, 10:51:06 AMUnderstandable. All conventions have rules and whatnot. I guess he worded it wrong, and he made it sound like artists shouldn't be allowed to profit. To be blunt, that last bit was random considering it had nothing to do with the reply.
I'll admit, Eric has a way with words. :) Thank god he's not our Marketing guy.

Quote from: Quatrina on February 04, 2011, 10:54:27 AMThis isn't even about rules in the slightest. We know there are those, and I think at least those of us who have been doing this for a while understand them for the most part. I know there's the odd person who dabbles in plagiarism and such, but I like to think more often than not the artists at the alley do their own work and the ones that don't get caught and removed. But this isn't about that, either. And I do realize that cons cost a lot of money to put on. I guess he thinks artists shouldn't be in it for the money or something, but the fact is even if we aren't really, it's the money that makes it possible for us to go be a part of the con in the first place. What I have a problem with is implying that we can't be a positive influence on the con if our goal there is to make money. We can certainly meet new people, make new friends, and do all those fun con things while we make money at the same time. The two are not mutually exclusive. Honestly, for this one I'd be happy to even come close to breaking even just for the opportunity to go to a con I've never been to before with a friend I don't get to see often due to geographical differences.
Understood. The way Eric worded it was a bit strong. Trust me, if we actually thought that AA didn't make a positive impact, we wouldn't continue it.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

ewu

Looks like we will likely be supporting the ability to pay for reg along with the table and so you will not need to take that risk.

In the end its all about the members, and a small number of artists have soiled a bit of the reputation of the room. We just want it to be fair and not have a small few take advantage of the FanimeCon community as a whole.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Ren_Zhao

Sorry for the outdated information from me, everyone! Regarding fanart, that was from my own personal experience as an AA artist, but that was also information I got from the AA head a few years ago. Listen to Eric, he knows what's up! Sorry again! o>

@Quatrina, haircurl
Although you are going to be coming to FanimeCon to sell artwork, we hope that the main reason you are coming is to have fun and enjoy the con and its programming. As I very well understand, many AA artists do make a significant portion of their income through selling at various cons' AA, so it is understandable that getting a table is a major, major concern, but we can only hope that it does not affect your decision to come to FanimeCon to have fun.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

haircurl

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on February 04, 2011, 06:08:13 PM
Although you are going to be coming to FanimeCon to sell artwork, we hope that the main reason you are coming is to have fun and enjoy the con and its programming. As I very well understand, many AA artists do make a significant portion of their income through selling at various cons' AA, so it is understandable that getting a table is a major, major concern, but we can only hope that it does not affect your decision to come to FanimeCon to have fun.

Yeah, of course. Hence the "chill" part. But without jobs, we do need to make whatever we spend back, y'know? It doesn't affect me, as I'm still going to try to get a table.

Quatrina

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on February 04, 2011, 06:08:13 PM
Sorry for the outdated information from me, everyone! Regarding fanart, that was from my own personal experience as an AA artist, but that was also information I got from the AA head a few years ago. Listen to Eric, he knows what's up! Sorry again! o>

@Quatrina, haircurl

If I was local it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but as I am coming from out of state, the whole table thing is pretty much necessary. I don't expect to make a significant profit off this with how much it's going to cost just to go, but I don't think I can justify going at all if I can't expect to offset it at least a bit. And maybe I'm weird but I just don't know what to do with myself at a convention at all if I'm not behind a table so whatever other programming is there usually doesn't make any difference to me. :\

Anyway, not to derail this too much, I had another line of questions about the tables themselves that I think would also be good to add to a faq if someone is making one. I'm guessing a lot of this information is probably in whatever gets released when they open up, but I think it's good to know ahead of time so you can plan for setups and know what to expect.

So, tables: How big are they? Are there any unusual restrictions on displays? Are tablecloths provided or do we need to bring them if we want them? Is it going to be behind somewhere secure when the alley isn't open so we can more or less safely leave some stuff behind and not have to break down/set up the whole thing every night/morning? (It seems to me that if it wasn't there would be no reason to close the alley in the first place, but I don't know.)

Agh, I feel like I'm being so annoying and have possibly already managed to make enemies or something. I should probably go back to being an internet hermit and stop bugging everyone over here!

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Quatrina on February 04, 2011, 07:04:23 PM
If I was local it wouldn't be such a huge deal, but as I am coming from out of state, the whole table thing is pretty much necessary. I don't expect to make a significant profit off this with how much it's going to cost just to go, but I don't think I can justify going at all if I can't expect to offset it at least a bit. And maybe I'm weird but I just don't know what to do with myself at a convention at all if I'm not behind a table so whatever other programming is there usually doesn't make any difference to me. :\

That's exactly how I felt....until I started cosplaying, haha. I went into a video room for the first time last year even though I'd been attending conventions since 2005. :x Just my opinion, but I felt like, if I'm going to a con, I might as well at least try to check out the other programming because that way, I know I'm getting my money's worth for the badge instead of just sitting behind a table all day. And then I finally started doing other things. '_'b But that's just me!

So, tables: How big are they? Are there any unusual restrictions on displays? Are tablecloths provided or do we need to bring them if we want them? Is it going to be behind somewhere secure when the alley isn't open so we can more or less safely leave some stuff behind and not have to break down/set up the whole thing every night/morning? (It seems to me that if it wasn't there would be no reason to close the alley in the first place, but I don't know.)

-Tables are 2' x 6'.
-Only restrictions for displays are: 1) make sure they don't get in the way of others, 2) make sure they aren't falling over (they should be safely secured to the table), and 3) make sure there is no inappropriate materials on display in the open (i.e., mature content that minors can easily see).
-Tablecloths are provided, and may not be removed or tampered with. From previous years, you may, however, bring your own tablecloth to cover the one provided. I know some artists like to have more colorful tablecloths to coordinate with their friends and such.
-"The rooms will be secured after hours, but the facility access corridors will not be closed or locked.  FanimeCon is not liable for lost or stolen goods.  We suggest that you take any valuables with you when you leave for the evening." Copy/paste from a previous year's contract.
You can leave things behind, such as your display, just be aware of any possible risk of doing so.

Agh, I feel like I'm being so annoying and have possibly already managed to make enemies or something. I should probably go back to being an internet hermit and stop bugging everyone over here!

Oh no, please don't! Questions are always good! Opinions are even better, so we know what we can improve on for the following years. (:
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Lowah

I'm sorry if i'm repeating this question when others may have been repeating it over and over, but is there a confirmed date for when table sales go up? I've been checking back on this forum thread because it seems to hold the most important Artist Alley information, but i wasn't really sure. And in that case, is there a better place to check up on that information so that i don't end up repeating others. ;3;

This will be my first time trying to get a table at fanime so i don't want to mess up my plans XD;;

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Lowah on February 05, 2011, 02:08:34 AM
I'm sorry if i'm repeating this question when others may have been repeating it over and over, but is there a confirmed date for when table sales go up? I've been checking back on this forum thread because it seems to hold the most important Artist Alley information, but i wasn't really sure. And in that case, is there a better place to check up on that information so that i don't end up repeating others. ;3;

This will be my first time trying to get a table at fanime so i don't want to mess up my plans XD;;

There is not yet a confirmed date, but registration is planned to open sometime this month. We will let you know ASAP!

I am working on an AA FAQ for this year. (: I've just sent it to the AA head for review before I post it.

Good luck!
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011