Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

Quatrina

I just saw the faq thread which is pretty awesome! (Especially the link to that help with filling out the sales permit form, that was helpful when I was doing it, but I had to find it myself!) Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I wasn't sure if I should go reply there since it's so empty (and I also figured people who are watching this thread waiting for information might want to know it's there) so I just came over here to say something. On the part about fanart I think it would be good to mention that fanart is okay before going into the whole "don't trace stuff" part just to make that clear, since there are some cons that are trying to limit it or get rid of it completely, which I think is ridiculous, but I won't get into that right now. Having the whole answer sound completely negative makes it seem a little like fanart isn't allowed at all if you're not reading carefully. But other than that it looks pretty good!l

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Quatrina on February 09, 2011, 08:13:28 PM
I just saw the faq thread which is pretty awesome! (Especially the link to that help with filling out the sales permit form, that was helpful when I was doing it, but I had to find it myself!) Thanks for taking the time to put it together. I wasn't sure if I should go reply there since it's so empty (and I also figured people who are watching this thread waiting for information might want to know it's there) so I just came over here to say something. On the part about fanart I think it would be good to mention that fanart is okay before going into the whole "don't trace stuff" part just to make that clear, since there are some cons that are trying to limit it or get rid of it completely, which I think is ridiculous, but I won't get into that right now. Having the whole answer sound completely negative makes it seem a little like fanart isn't allowed at all if you're not reading carefully. But other than that it looks pretty good!l

Thanks for linking the FAQ! I can't believe I forgot to do that! Also thank you for your suggestion. I added another question above it. The original question was only about limitations on fanart, so hopefully adding another question clears up that fanart is still allowed.
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

VocaloidHaine

Hi again!

Sorry just had another question to ask, I read in a previous post that we will only need to provide our Badge registration number to get a table~ And I was just wondering where we can find out what our registration number is? Is it the "Invoice" number or somewhere else? Sorry for the inconvenience! ><;

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: VocaloidHaine on February 10, 2011, 06:09:16 PM
Hi again!

Sorry just had another question to ask, I read in a previous post that we will only need to provide our Badge registration number to get a table~ And I was just wondering where we can find out what our registration number is? Is it the "Invoice" number or somewhere else? Sorry for the inconvenience! ><;

Last year, on the Paypal invoice/history, it said "Fanime Pre-Reg badge for: [name] Item#[number]". The Item# should be your registration number.

No worries, I am here to answer your questions after all. (:
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Stephan

I am really dissapointed in the lack of information available on the website itself. I have been checking back for weeks waiting for information as to what I'll need for AA to come up. Being that it will be my first year at the convention, I did not know if I needed to pre-reg before I can apply for a badge, do I need some sort of permit? Etc. So I go to buy my badge just in case.

Then I come to the forums to see people's feedback on the convention. I had only heard good things about how it is run in the past from others. I do not like visiting convention forums very often but I was curious as to some of the feedback that I might find on it, and find the AA thread. Upon which I see the "We'll be up really soon! Btw, hope you got your permits and stuff!" posts and my heart sinks. I find it quite unprofessional to only supply information on a forum that only a select number of people who know to look for it to see. I had thought the whole reason a convention would have a website was to put the information on it, as is the trend with every other convention I have been to.  I have sent my mail off today, (2 weeks to get there, 3-4 weeks to get back to me since I am out of country) and will probably not get them in time if the con's version of "soon" is in the next week or two. I hope I will be able to receive a refund on my registration should I not qualify to apply for a table in the absence of this permit.

idontknow

Quote from: Stephan on February 11, 2011, 03:31:12 PM
I am really dissapointed in the lack of information available on the website itself. I have been checking back for weeks waiting for information as to what I'll need for AA to come up. Being that it will be my first year at the convention, I did not know if I needed to pre-reg before I can apply for a badge, do I need some sort of permit? Etc. So I go to buy my badge just in case.

Then I come to the forums to see people's feedback on the convention. I had only heard good things about how it is run in the past from others. I do not like visiting convention forums very often but I was curious as to some of the feedback that I might find on it, and find the AA thread. Upon which I see the "We'll be up really soon! Btw, hope you got your permits and stuff!" posts and my heart sinks. I find it quite unprofessional to only supply information on a forum that only a select number of people who know to look for it to see. I had thought the whole reason a convention would have a website was to put the information on it, as is the trend with every other convention I have been to.  I have sent my mail off today, (2 weeks to get there, 3-4 weeks to get back to me since I am out of country) and will probably not get them in time if the con's version of "soon" is in the next week or two. I hope I will be able to receive a refund on my registration should I not qualify to apply for a table in the absence of this permit.

I'm sorry to hear that and I agree with the lack of information that the website provides, but it has always been like that in the past (although, it wouldn't hurt to put stuff like seller's permits, age requirements, etc on the website *hint hint* haha). I was once in your boat and I didn't find out about the seller's permit or whatnot until after they posted the application online. You shouldn't worry too much though,  even with my "disadvantage" I was still able to sign up for a table. AA tables go quickly, but it's not like they're gone in a week. And what did you send in the mail? Your registration? You can probably talk to registration and ask if they e-mail you your registration # or whatnot. Fanime can deal with special cases like yours (btw, I'm not an official Fanime personal, so if backfires, sorry for giving you the wrong info @_@)

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on January 24, 2011, 01:39:03 AM
Hi everyone! Update: You will need to have a paid Fanime badge (i.e., your registration number) for AA registration, but not your permit number. As long as you get your seller's permits before the time of the actual convention, you all have nothing to worry about! So, feel free to wait until registration has begun to send in your seller's permit applications, as that should be more than enough time before the convention begins. Hope that will relieve much of the anxiety regarding permits for now. :P
It's a page or so back, and it's easy to miss. As long as you get your sellers permit before the convention you should be fine.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Stephan on February 11, 2011, 03:31:12 PM

Then I come to the forums to see people's feedback on the convention. I had only heard good things about how it is run in the past from others. I do not like visiting convention forums very often but I was curious as to some of the feedback that I might find on it, and find the AA thread. Upon which I see the "We'll be up really soon! Btw, hope you got your permits and stuff!" posts and my heart sinks. I find it quite unprofessional to only supply information on a forum that only a select number of people who know to look for it to see. I had thought the whole reason a convention would have a website was to put the information on it, as is the trend with every other convention I have been to.  I have sent my mail off today, (2 weeks to get there, 3-4 weeks to get back to me since I am out of country) and will probably not get them in time if the con's version of "soon" is in the next week or two. I hope I will be able to receive a refund on my registration should I not qualify to apply for a table in the absence of this permit.

If you (and others) could please read the FAQ that I took the time to put together before getting angry about having no information, that would be better... ): There is a reason it's there, after all.

FAQ >>>>>>>>HERE

I hope that's noticeable enough.

All the information we are sure of at the moment is in the FAQ. If it's not in there, we don't have a definite answer as of yet. I will do my best to update with information the moment I receive any updates.

To my knowledge, the AA department has no control over how the website itself is updated, even with things regarding our own information on the site. I believe it is a semi-lengthy process asking the department in charge of updating the website to get any new information up.... I do not have the proper access to update the website. However, I have sent in a request to my head to get the website updated with at least the FAQ or a link to the FAQ as soon as possible.

Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Ren_Zhao

Update!
The website has now been updated with a copy of the FAQ.

Check it out!
http://www.fanime.com/art/artist-alley-faq/
It's linked from the main art page as well.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Sneath

Hi Ren!
Should general AA questions (not about reg) be posted in the FAQ thread or here?
Oh well, here goes...

I emailed artistalley[at]fanime.com a few months back, but they never responded, and I know the forums alive. :)

"Can artist alley vendors sell "destash" or kits?
In my case, it would be little baggies of chainmaille rings with and/or without instructions if people want to make their own. I have materials that I want to get rid of, and it would at least cut my losses for unused supplies, but I could see how it could be more "dealer hall", than "artist alley"."

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Sneath on February 12, 2011, 01:53:59 PM
Hi Ren!
Should general AA questions (not about reg) be posted in the FAQ thread or here?
Oh well, here goes...

I emailed artistalley[at]fanime.com a few months back, but they never responded, and I know the forums alive. :)

"Can artist alley vendors sell "destash" or kits?
In my case, it would be little baggies of chainmaille rings with and/or without instructions if people want to make their own. I have materials that I want to get rid of, and it would at least cut my losses for unused supplies, but I could see how it could be more "dealer hall", than "artist alley"."

Here's fine for any type of question. (:

We recently tested emailing artistalley[at]fanime.com and someone will respond, so feel free to email again! Perhaps the email was not being monitored a few months ago?

Selling "destash" or kits should be fine, as long as you aren't selling large, large quantities of things all at once. Especially if there's instructions, that would be a very cool idea. I'll let you know if anything changes!
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Sneath

K. I got a follow up email about selling "destash" and extra art materials.

"Because destash are items that are already existing product, they may not be sold in the Artist Alley.  Since crafting instructions are of your own creation, those are OK on their own."

and the next response when I asked about kits:

"Unless you made those [beautiful pieces of awesome], you couldn't sell them as "kits"."

Bummer! But good to know ahead of time.

youkosu

Hihi o.ob i sent an email about this a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet which makes me kind of nervous about whether or not it was received  so i thought i'd try just posting my question here @_@

i talked to stacy about this last year at artist alley, but i wanted a definite answer before i throw in all my money for supplies and everything else i need... if i have a health permit, in addition to the normal business license, can i sell food (some of which will be anime geeked out) that does not compete with what the convention center sells at artist alley? the conclusion we arrived at back then was probably but i wanted to be sure xD i'm really eager to make what i have planned and am willing to put in a little extra work to make it happen

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: youkosu on February 16, 2011, 03:37:04 AM
Hihi o.ob i sent an email about this a couple days ago but haven't heard back yet which makes me kind of nervous about whether or not it was received  so i thought i'd try just posting my question here @_@

i talked to stacy about this last year at artist alley, but i wanted a definite answer before i throw in all my money for supplies and everything else i need... if i have a health permit, in addition to the normal business license, can i sell food (some of which will be anime geeked out) that does not compete with what the convention center sells at artist alley? the conclusion we arrived at back then was probably but i wanted to be sure xD i'm really eager to make what i have planned and am willing to put in a little extra work to make it happen

In previous years, the contract has stated that you cannot sell food in the artist alley. Since you have a health permit, I will double check for you with the head, but the answer is likely to be the same.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on February 17, 2011, 02:13:52 AM
Quote from: youkosu on February 16, 2011, 03:37:04 AM

In previous years, the contract has stated that you cannot sell food in the artist alley. Since you have a health permit, I will double check for you with the head, but the answer is likely to be the same.

Got a reply:

"To get a health permit, everything would need to be prepared in a certified kitchen. It could not just be made at home expecting to get a permit for that. They also elaborated that dealers are only even allowed to sell food on a limited basis.

To summarize, the pending Artist Alley Table Agreement says artists may NOT offer or sell food or beverages."

Sorry! I will be updating the FAQ with this as well.
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

youkosu

well there is a certified professional kitchen i would be renting to make the food in, since i'm familiar with all the health regulations regarding food. i myself am certified for food safety. i'm a professional lookin for somewhere to sell my ideas basically =P i don't suppose that'd make any difference xD? haha

that's good to know tho. thanks for looking into this for me so quickly =)

ewu

Yah, really AA is not for food, and us as a convention do not want to deal with the issues it brings up. At least not for the AA, maybe if you were in the dealers room, we would consider it.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

kimchikawaii

Sorry if I'm missing something but am hoping to sell for the first time so had a question. I saw in the FAQ that all people at the table must have a permit. I have my brand that I run as a small business on my own, but my friend is coming to help me sell just this one time on Saturday at Fanime. This is really the only time she will be doing business related to my brand as she is not a co-owner or anything. Would she still need to have permit even if I will be taking care of all the taxes and paperwork?

Thanks in advance for any help!

misosoupaddict

(I feel silly for asking this but...)

Where do we find the "registration #" required to sign up for AA when the time comes? Someone said it would be on PayPal invoice, but i don't have one since i paid in person at last year's con for me and my sister. I have the receipt, with our "Member IDs #: F1#####etc."
Is this the same number?
Find me in Artist's Alley 2011!
deviantart gallery

chibidrunksanzo

So this may seem like a nitpicky food question, but are we allowed to give away store bought treats?  For example, if I have a jar of lollipops on my table that people could grab.