Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

Jin

Same question as Skuldchan, except I have a studio. Can my writer and web designer sell? They don't draw, so they don't have a portfolio, but they're still part of the studio and contribute to it in other aspects. I registered with the studio name, and we'll only be getting one seller's permit. Am I the only one allowed to represent the studio since I'm the only one who draws?

darkkako

I'm not an official source, so please don't take me 100% on this. I'm fairly certain, based on what I've read and what I've experienced in previous years, that it's perfectly fine for your friends/helpers to sell your art. The important thing is that they cannot make sales if their name is not on the table. In the registration form, when you added more people to your table, I think I remember being a box you could check off that said the person wouldn't be contributing art. If you didn't add them then I think you can email the AA staff to get them added. If you have friends/helpers that aren't on the table, they're allowed to sit behind your table and watch it while you take a bathroom break but they're not allowed handle money.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: darkkako on March 30, 2011, 02:07:04 AM
I'm not an official source, so please don't take me 100% on this. I'm fairly certain, based on what I've read and what I've experienced in previous years, that it's perfectly fine for your friends/helpers to sell your art. The important thing is that they cannot make sales if their name is not on the table. In the registration form, when you added more people to your table, I think I remember being a box you could check off that said the person wouldn't be contributing art. If you didn't add them then I think you can email the AA staff to get them added. If you have friends/helpers that aren't on the table, they're allowed to sit behind your table and watch it while you take a bathroom break but they're not allowed handle money.

This is exactly it!

Pretty much someone can help you sell only if they have been added as an artist or helper to your table.
Kio
FanimeCon Artist Alley Staff 2011
Anime Expo LPTS Staff 2011
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011
Cafe Kintoki Maid/Host, Co-Manager 2011

cowsrcute

I signed up for the artist alley a short while ago but and yesturday I was able to relog on and see the page that says waiting for approval. I just want to check when I get approved but today I tried to log on a couple times and it keeps saying page not found after I click ok to sign in.

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: cowsrcute on March 30, 2011, 09:06:22 AM
I signed up for the artist alley a short while ago but and yesturday I was able to relog on and see the page that says waiting for approval. I just want to check when I get approved but today I tried to log on a couple times and it keeps saying page not found after I click ok to sign in.

You will be notified by email when you are approved, so you don't have sign in to check. Saves you the trouble. (: As for the page error, it may have been a temporary bug. Try logging in again?
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Hachimitsu

for your boyfriend, I don't think he might need a portfolio, because who ever is responsible for the table will be incharge.. your boyfriend should'nt worry about selling stuff since your partner with him!..

Besides, hes there to support you. I did it before with my little sister and she sold some nice stickers... There are also other people as well who are "starving artists" and would like to ask if anyone is willing to share a table with (him or her). Try not to panic so much about it.. whoever registered the table must have the portfolio, your partner should'nt be worry about submitting a portfolio!...
but again, i could be wrong now that I saw a sign saying "HALF a table" and FULL table...
I thought you just get a table for only $30, yet im surprised its now $60 and you cannot get more than 1 table as it once was long ago...

Skuldchan

So basically others can help so long as they are put on the registration as a helper. Then we put the helper on our sellers permit.
Well I'm glad that was answered. :)

mcmissa

I had a question, I understand that it will take a week. I am wondering if people have already been approved. I ask because I signed up when it first open and it is Thursday now - makes me a bit nervous!

Thank you!

ewu

I can tell you that no one has been approved. I do not know where you all got a week, but as you can see, that won't happen.

The Artist side was fully developed, but the admin/Fanime side is still being developed. When that finishes, then the approvals will start coming in.

Thanks all!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Jin

Quote from: ewu on March 31, 2011, 10:34:36 AM
I do not know where you all got a week, but as you can see, that won't happen.

Quote from: Ren_Zhao on March 26, 2011, 12:13:04 PM

Also, some messages from the head:

At this moment in time, an artist is free to create a new account but the odds of getting in are very low.  It's still first-come, first-serve.

A couple of people have asked how long would it take for us to notify artists and to allow them to finish the signup process for those who made it.  We are giving ourselves a goal of one week to do so.

It was in a previous post.

ewu

Approvals will START coming in tonight or tomorrow.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

VocaloidHaine

Oh no! Sorry if this may sound like a complicated question but since my friend and I are both selling at the table, and my other friend is unable to sit behind with us (Max 2 ppl behind the table). Then my other friend is able to switch off with one of us at some times right? But I was really unaware of having to list the names of helpers in the application! So..is it still possible to add her in the list somehow? >.<;;

Ren_Zhao

Quote from: VocaloidHaine on March 31, 2011, 07:21:38 PM
Oh no! Sorry if this may sound like a complicated question but since my friend and I are both selling at the table, and my other friend is unable to sit behind with us (Max 2 ppl behind the table). Then my other friend is able to switch off with one of us at some times right? But I was really unaware of having to list the names of helpers in the application! So..is it still possible to add her in the list somehow? >.<;;

Your other friend can certainly switch off with you two. Email artistalley[at]fanime.com to have her added. (:
Kio
--
Fanimaid Cafe Maid 2011

Quatrina

Oh my god it just figures that the forums would decide to stop e-mailing me when this thread updates right before THINGS ACTUALLY HAPPEN. I really hope I haven't missed my chance by being a week slow, ugh. I swear I thought I'd joined some mailing list too, and that didn't come through either? This year REALLY REALLY DOES NOT WANT ME TO GO TO CONS. -_-

While this submission thing might seem like a good idea, it really slows the whole process down even more after it already started ridiculously late. People running the show had trouble finding the time to even open registration, and now they have to find the time to review every single applicant's portfolio? If you're going to do something time-consuming like this in the future, you should really try to get the ball rolling with MUCH more advance.

I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing. I guess the whole thing's probably moot, since it's already been A WHOLE WEEK SINCE IT OPENED I should just give up on this con completely. So much for thinking I'd get to go experience a new con this year.

tickyhead

Way to act like they did it on purpose just to mess with you, Quatrina. Maybe you should take a deep breath and calm down a bit before you post. The people behind Fanime are human. Humans make mistakes and can be forgetful, and they can try new ways to administrate if they think it will be better. Next time, instead of relying on a string of code to do your work for you, try actively involving yourself with the various social networks you can find EVERY SINGLE MID-SIZED ANIME CONVENTION on, twitter was a life saver for me this year. If you really want to be involved in something, then be more on the ball and lose the "everything is against me" attitude.

On topic, I was wondering what specific information we need to email to the artists alley admins to add helpers to our application? Will they have to buy separate badges? (Also, I am still confused about artists alley registration and badge registration, if we register for the AA does our approved application include a badge for the con itself, or do we have to get both separately? There have been conflicting answers in previous posts.)
あんた の 靴様 は 今 何処だ!?

idontknow

Quote from: Quatrina on March 31, 2011, 09:14:19 PM
Oh my god it just figures that the forums would decide to stop e-mailing me when this thread updates right before THINGS ACTUALLY HAPPEN. I really hope I haven't missed my chance by being a week slow, ugh. I swear I thought I'd joined some mailing list too, and that didn't come through either? This year REALLY REALLY DOES NOT WANT ME TO GO TO CONS. -_-

While this submission thing might seem like a good idea, it really slows the whole process down even more after it already started ridiculously late. People running the show had trouble finding the time to even open registration, and now they have to find the time to review every single applicant's portfolio? If you're going to do something time-consuming like this in the future, you should really try to get the ball rolling with MUCH more advance.

I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing. I guess the whole thing's probably moot, since it's already been A WHOLE WEEK SINCE IT OPENED I should just give up on this con completely. So much for thinking I'd get to go experience a new con this year.

I agree with what tickyhead said. Don't take your anger out on the moderators, they have lives too. You should probably check your e-mail block list or something. I stopped getting e-mails from Fanime because I accidentally blocked the notification e-mail.

Submissions take a lot of time, but I think they are a good idea because I've seen artists sell works that are obviously from other artists. It's not really a "perfect" way to stop those from doing so, but at least it's a start. And just because you couldn't get an artist alley table doesn't mean you shouldn't go. Heck, I went one year without a pass and still had a great time hanging around the hallways and meeting people. Don't let artist alley signups get in the way of joining Fanime.

Quatrina

Okay, I know I was an idiot for not thinking something was up when everything was so quiet for so long, and I'm kicking myself for that, thanks. It's still frustrating, and I'm sorry if I feel the need to vent a little. I've already lost one major con that I was a regular at this year to a completely ridiculous words-per-minute race, so I'm really kind of upset to lose another one I wanted to look forward to. I didn't mean to come across as completely blaming the people working this con, even though the delays really made me unsure if I should even try going, since it made the advance planning window uncomfortably short, especially for people who want to go in from out of state. I just wanted to mention the fact that this process basically ends up as another delay as something to think about, honestly. I'm sorry if it came out as an attack, and I NEVER said anyone did any of this on purpose. I'm just really angry with the whole situation.

And the forums started e-mailing me again today after I checked them again, so I don't even know what's up with that. I guess I might as well take off the notification, since I seem to no longer have anything to be notified of, and have now made everyone here hate me. I don't actually live in California, so there's not really any point in me spending the money on a plane ticket to go there. I quite honestly don't know what to do with myself at a con if I don't have a table.

solipoo

tickyhead: everyone who wants to attend fanime's rooms and panels has to buy a badge. your helpers will need to buy separate badges if they want to get into AA. also your other question, registering for a table does not include a badge by default, you will have to buy a separate registration badge. but i think that if you are approved for the table, they will include an option that lets you buy the badge at the same time as the table. i'm not 100% sure, but i've already bought my badge, so i won't be doing that.

quatrina: there's nothing wrong with going to a con without a table... in fact, this year is my first year trying to get a table, and i'm kind of sad i'll probably miss a lot of the happenings around the con. :( exploring fanime is pretty fun too. there's always SOMETHIN' going on, and i feel like if this is your first time going it would be a waste to spend it behind a table. that's just my opinion, though. don't give up on fanime forever. it's a great con.

Sneath

Quatrina: We don't hate u :D

I used to go to Fanime for the Con, but I'm not as in to it anymore. I wouldn't go if it weren't for the AA.

Not to get hopes up for no reasons, but last year I had sort of the same situation. I missed the start of registration (i don't remember by how much), and got put on the wait-list... I'd been talking on the forums, and checking the facebook, but the one time I'm not checking it constanly I missed it.
So, I'm on the wait-list, and its already May and nothing, so I figure I'm not going at all and start making other plans.
On May 17th (what is that... a week and a half before the con?) I got an email saying I was off the wait-list and could register. O_o
I had a lot of finals in the coming weeks, and I hadn't prepared my inventory at all, but I scraped by pretty well considering.

So, if you're out of state... it might not be worth it to hold out for it, but it might be possible.

This ends story time with Sneath. Thank you.

darkkako

It' s also possible you may find someone willing to share their table space, Quatrina.