Info For Artist Alley Reg

Started by imoto, February 10, 2010, 08:45:48 AM

ewu

For those anxious about membership confirmation and other issues: when AA staff approves your application, it essentially means that you have a table...

so congrats! and to those still waiting, good luck!
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Oniko

ok good, I've been waiting for a e-mail response about a question to complete everything and was worried what would happen if i didnt finish it up fast enough.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

chobitsfan

I am going so crazy checking my status every day 10X a day. When will we know if we are approved!? is there any kind of date by which we will know??? we have put a lot of time, money and effort into this and are really really anxious. Please, give us something here T_T

Ps we've been checking the fanime website for months trying to register then when it finally opened it didn't work and we got a late # (in the 400's) and I feel like we've done everything we possibly can. Just please please help we are going CRAZY

Haruka

Ditto.  I have quite the back-up of inventory.  I've been sewing since LAST Fanime.  Hope I gate in.  #486

~Willow's Closet~
Join me at Ani-Jam 2011 in Fresno, CA.  August 20-21

nainu

Quote from: chobitsfan on April 12, 2011, 02:08:53 PM
I am going so crazy checking my status every day 10X a day. When will we know if we are approved!? is there any kind of date by which we will know??? we have put a lot of time, money and effort into this and are really really anxious. Please, give us something here T_T

Ps we've been checking the fanime website for months trying to register then when it finally opened it didn't work and we got a late # (in the 400's) and I feel like we've done everything we possibly can. Just please please help we are going CRAZY

Agreed, I frequently check as well to see if Ive been approved, I signed up the first day registration was opened for AA. Glad to know Im not the only one going crazy >_>  #394

Mistiousstar

Quote from: nainu on April 12, 2011, 04:43:16 PM
Quote from: chobitsfan on April 12, 2011, 02:08:53 PM

Agreed, I frequently check as well to see if Ive been approved, I signed up the first day registration was opened for AA. Glad to know Im not the only one going crazy >_>  #394

Same here
I've been constantly checking my account, #420 TT.TT

phr34kish

They've already said they're not working strictly on number order, guys. :) Keep your chin up!

chobitsfan

thanks guys, it really really helps to know I am not the only one freaking out. It is just getting so CLOSE! T_T and numerical or no, I am still freaking out just because the con is only a little more than a month away and I STILL don't know what's going on TT_TT please please let the answer come soon. It would really really really help if we knew WHEN they were going to be done, even if it was "hey we won't have them done until the day of the con" (which would SUCK but at least I would not be so CONSTANTLY checking and hoping)

thanks guys, I hope we all get in :) if not I dunno what I am gunna do with all this STUFF I have :C

...btw this has to be said, sorry if it is bitchy, but "fielding 15 emails a day" is REALLY not much work if you ask me....um sorry XD just yeah I have to do an awful lot more than that on a daily basis sooooo.... *whistles* ok ya  XD

in srsness though, I so value what fanime brings me and my family we've always had a blast, but f'reals? I cannot believe how hectic and time consuming and stressful this whole process has been.

k don;t hate me I've been up all night better get some Z's XD

Kimba616

Quote from: chobitsfan on April 13, 2011, 03:25:12 AM
...btw this has to be said, sorry if it is bitchy, but "fielding 15 emails a day" is REALLY not much work if you ask me....um sorry XD just yeah I have to do an awful lot more than that on a daily basis sooooo.... *whistles* ok ya  XD

in srsness though, I so value what fanime brings me and my family we've always had a blast, but f'reals? I cannot believe how hectic and time consuming and stressful this whole process has been.

k don;t hate me I've been up all night better get some Z's XD

They're not talking about 15 facebook alerts that they can just delete. They're forms or questions they have to go through and respond accordingly. And it takes time out of their everyday lives. You may have a lot of time to waste online, but maybe they don't. They're volunteering for this, it's not like they're getting paid(as far as I know).

Being tired is no reason to say stuff like that about the staff. You can tell they're trying.

Oniko

You have to remember they are not being paid for this.  Like Kimba said this is out of their own personal time, and we dont know them personally.  They could have stressful hectic jobs or a family to deal with. And remember how many questions were coming up during the process or all the errors?  That could have given them more e-mails then expected or a lot of people that filled them out wrong.  From what past posts sounds like it is just one or two people sitting there trying to get through over 200+ emails. I'm sure they are trying their best with what they are given.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

ewu

Hey all,

Please note that the deadline to apply does not apply to the approval date. The deadline to apply was met the moment you submitted your application for approval.

Also, note that when you are approved you should have a table. So the fact that the member info or the sellers permit is not accepted, it will not affect if you get a table of not.

Good luck!
Eric
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

chobitsfan

Ok, srsly? TWO volunteers? UNPAID? I hope to GOD that's not how they are running things (if so i am very very sorry for those two people) this is a con that over SIXTEEN THOUSAND people go to. I imagine they got at least 300 applications for AA, to put that on TWO, UNPAID people would be CRAZY.

I mean that just logically makes no sense, tickets are what, 50$ (ave?) X 16,000= $800,000 , not to mention the merchant's fees and other stuff... they better dang well pay the people running a show as big as this.

If they don't then I am sincerely sorry. I understand having volunteers for things like running info booths or selling tickets at the show, but for something as time consuming as registration and running the web site there should be a paid team of people on things.

I do really really value fanime and the awesome times it brings us all, I just hope that the people running it get to enjoy it and not have unrealistic workloads put on them. And I think the idea of two unpaid volunteers running such huge aspects of it is crazy.

phr34kish

This email just went out to the AA mailing list. Hopefully this will help clear some stuff up, guys.

QuoteGreetings All,

We want first to express our thanks for the patience of all the artists as we work our way through the registration process. We received an enormous response to the Artist Alley registration. Unfortunately, there were many more requests for tables than tables available. We have managed to reorganize our original floor plan to increase the total number of tables and yet this still isn't enough to meet all of the requests we've received.

To be as fair as possible, we have decided to approve tables on the current "first come-first serve" basis up to the amount of tables we had originally designated. For the additional tables we were able to gain through the reorganization, we will be allotting them by random lottery from the remaining pool of artists so that everyone has a chance at getting a table. The lottery will simply be a random draw and not a jury system.

To all those who are asking, "When Will We Know?!?":  we have approved all the first come-first serve pool of tables. If you haven't either received an approval or an email asking clarification from us, you are eligible for the lottery.

The lottery will be run on the 16th when Alley registration is closed. The final block of tables will be approved shortly thereafter.

Sincerely,
Marc & Bree
FanimeCon 2011 Artist Alley

Topagae

Okay this email confuses me. How can you fairly allot tables on a "First Come First Serve" basis when all the people who currently have tables got to register before the general populace?

I say this because the link was broken for a long time at the start of registration. I had to get it from another AA friend. But I'm still in the lottery, what this means is that everyone who currently has a table had insider information that normal registrants didn't have, and those that patiently waited for the link to be fixed got the shaft. That isn't first come first served, because plenty of folk who were forced to wait could've and probably did get their before others, but didn't somehow discover the link to register. I call shenanigans.

Piper

As fabulous as this all is, I have to agree with Topagae.

A lot of people waited at the exact time it opened, but yet the lucky few smart enough to go check the forums/facebook for the link were fortunate enough to get tables as everyone else twiddled their thumbs waiting for the link on the website itself to appear. I luckily checked the forums but that wasn't until 6 hours later of stressing and crying tears of frustration. I don't know, it's just../sighs.

Well, it's sure great about the lottery, though I wish things were much more organized from the start, despite the very few members working on Artist Alley, which is a huge task that shouldn't be relying on only a few people to handle.

Sorry, I'm just frustrated, I mean no offense...keep working hard
Can't wait to see everyone!

phr34kish

I posted this in the other forum, but honestly, more people will see it here.

I know a lot of people were upset about the link not posted on the website. But they made sure and posted in multiple areas that everyone would know when and where the link would be available. The sent a time and place in an email, they posted it here on the forums, and they also did it on twitter and facebook. You could even link twitter to send a text message to your phone to get notices away from the computer. And from what it sounds like, most of the applicants were there during the server overload and got the link from the offsite locations the moment Fanime put up the link (almost exactly when they said they would.)

Yes, granted, I was allowed a table this go around, but I'm not sure you're cry for "favoritism" holds water. I've never had a table in the AA before, and I just followed the advice and steps provided on all the Fanime groups to make sure I got in. :/ They made information available to everyone, I'm finding it hard to believe they singled any one person, or group of people out.

nionio

I have to agree. There is no favoritism here.

They told us specifically that in the event the site did not post the link (aka crashed from sheer amount of refreshing) that we could find the link on FB and on their twitter. I also found it amazing that they shut down the forums such that when you went to them during registration time, they automatically displayed the AA reg link. Most artists who follow AA reg like a hawk check forums first in the event something goes wrong during registration.

Overall, Fanime had back up plans, and I applaud you guys for having them. Those of you who could not find the link, I'm sorry but it's wrong to call favoritism on the AA staff.

fidgey

Quote from: Topagae on April 13, 2011, 01:03:30 PM
That isn't first come first served, because plenty of folk who were forced to wait could've and probably did get their before others, but didn't somehow discover the link to register. I call shenanigans.

I apologize if I sound harsh but I don't believe you were "forced" to wait. We got our tables because we were proactive and worked hard to stay up to date by the minute.  Favoritism doesn't enter into it. We never had any inside information at all-- we were just extremely tenacious.

Oniko

Quote from: fidgey on April 13, 2011, 01:50:12 PM
Quote from: Topagae on April 13, 2011, 01:03:30 PM
That isn't first come first served, because plenty of folk who were forced to wait could've and probably did get their before others, but didn't somehow discover the link to register. I call shenanigans.

I apologize if I sound harsh but I don't believe you were "forced" to wait. We got our tables because we were proactive and worked hard to stay up to date by the minute.  Favoritism doesn't enter into it. We never had any inside information at all-- we were just extremely tenacious.

Agreed, this is the same thing that has always happened, so you just have to prepare yourself.  I dont even own a twitter account, but I used what sources I had and that was FB and e-mailing.  We were given plenty of warning and options.  It's like anything else, if you want the best chances it is best to do your resreach and look for all options.

P.S. @chobitsfan How much do you think it costs to rent out that convention center for 4 days 24 hours?  Not to mention the guests and celebs they have that come in, they dont expect their japanese singers to pay for their plane, food, and board. Lets not forget they rent out the place across the street and the ball is hold in a pretty ritzy hotel. I doubt they get to keep as much as we all hope.
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Miss S

Favoritism? Shenanigans? My group had been ready for registration since January, and we'd watched the forums/facebook/twitter obsessively since then, waiting for the link. That's all there was to it. There was no favoritism, just extreme dedication.