ever fall into the "Uncanny Valley" ?

Started by Jerry, February 12, 2010, 10:16:49 AM

Jerry

So people have been tossing this phrase around --- " uncanny valley "

and at first I had no idea what ppl were talking about- thank goodness for the internet:

----------------------
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley

The uncanny valley is a hypothesis regarding the field of robotics.[1] The theory holds that when robots and other facsimiles of humans look and act almost like actual humans, it causes a response of revulsion among human observers. The "valley" in question is a dip in a proposed graph of the positivity of human reaction as a function of a robot's lifelikeness.

The term was coined by roboticist Masahiro Mori as Bukimi no Tani Genshō (不気味の谷現象) in 1970, and has been linked to Ernst Jentsch's concept of "the uncanny" identified in a 1906 essay, "On the Psychology of the Uncanny".[2] Jentsch's conception is famously elaborated upon by Sigmund Freud in a 1919 essay titled "The Uncanny" ("Das Unheimliche").[3] A similar problem exists in realistic 3D computer animation, such as with the films Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within,[4] The Polar Express,[4] and Beowulf.[5]

-------------------

So using the example - I do remember the first time I experienced this feeling --- Back in the day when I saw Final Fantasy: Spirits Within - I spent about 1/2 the movie convincing myself that the movie was CGI and not filled with real people.

So to CGI movies bother you? or do you prefer the "old fashioned" way of puppets / animatronics / man in rubber [godzilla] suit?

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Tony

They can. The big fight scene in Matrix Reloaded - totally CG. Neo looks like an animated corpse to me, in that scene.

Avatar, on the other hand - and this is no modest praise - I actually forgot at parts that that Navi were computer-rendered. I honestly think that's the biggest achievement of that particular film. (Though the 3D effect is a close second.)
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Moonblossom

RealDolls. God, those things scare the ever-loving daylights out of me.

Really, any vaguely animatronic silicone-based human replicas. Most of the robots coming out of Japan currently do it as well.

Most CG stuff nowadays doesn't bother me, but yeah, the Spirits Within sort of screwed with my perceptions for a while. I think the biggest problem was that the characters don't breathe. Like, their bodies aren't in constant but subtle motion as their lungs should theoretically be expanding and contracting. There are a few scenes where they pant heavily for effect, but just regular breathing is non-existent

Knightfire

Quote from: Moonblossom on February 12, 2010, 02:11:07 PM
RealDolls. God, those things scare the ever-loving daylights out of me.

Really, any vaguely animatronic silicone-based human replicas. Most of the robots coming out of Japan currently do it as well.

Most CG stuff nowadays doesn't bother me, but yeah, the Spirits Within sort of screwed with my perceptions for a while. I think the biggest problem was that the characters don't breathe. Like, their bodies aren't in constant but subtle motion as their lungs should theoretically be expanding and contracting. There are a few scenes where they pant heavily for effect, but just regular breathing is non-existent

I never thought about that, gonna have to watch that movie again sometime soon to observe.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Jerry

I recently saw Final Fantasy VII Advent Children "Complete" --- almost 25min of additional footage and more brutal fight scenes...

OMG is that blood on Cloud's face?  :o

the thing that irked me---- was that in EVERY Rain or scene where the water and hair is involved... the hair NEVER gets wet. :P
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Sunara Ishi

I love almost all of those, types of animation, actually... I suppose I must be one of the few that doesn't get affected. Even robots in human form doesn't bug me.... as long as they are pretty. XP Probably the only human-like animation, that does bug me, are those few that are stuck in the limbo-land; unable to decide if it wants to be human-like or not. "Beowolf" made me cringe... but CGI like "Final Fantasy: Spirits Within" are good.

Now, blow-up dolls... those are creepy; So is this.
るう~
o(≧∀≦)O
"Doesn't break even when run over by a tank! The most durable ballpoint pen in world!"-Nebula