Is there any way to add a day to Fanime eventually?

Started by Yuki Valentine, February 12, 2010, 03:27:13 PM

Yuki Valentine

Hey, I was wondering (and have been wondering for some time) if there was a way that Fanime could be stretched to five days, so we would have three full days and two half days.  I know it would probably mess with some people's work schedules and stuff, but I think that a lot of people would love for that to happen.  What about you?  ^.^
Please check out my 8tracks account and add me!
http://8tracks.com/yuki_valentine

My YouTube account- http://www.youtube.com/user/xYukiValentine

PLEASE PLAY AND DONATE!!!

freerice.com and freepoverty.com

Liquid

Well, this is already the case if I remember correctly. :)

Thursday is unofficially a partial day. It is mostly in the evening and mostly for swap meet, con setup, and early badge pickups, but there was a dance or two last year as well. Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are full days. Monday is a half day.
Tyler R. - Fanime Staff
2009 & 2010 Rovers - Suits
2011 Rovers - Graveyard Base
2012 Rovers - Second & Head of Suits
2013 Con Ops - Assistant Trouble Shooter

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: Liquid on February 12, 2010, 03:40:03 PM
Well, this is already the case if I remember correctly. :)

Thursday is unofficially a partial day (mostly in the evening and mostly for swap meet, con setup, and early badge pickups.) Friday, Saturday, and Sunday are full days. Monday is a half day.

Yeah, but would there be a way to add an extra full day?  Two full days just doesn't seem enough...  T_T

Poof-Aro

There are three full days. Friday is a full day. So, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then Monday is a half day.
Fanime 2014 Cosplays:
Vaporeon
The Black and Silver Steampunk

My Cosplay Page

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: Ghetto Kitsune on February 12, 2010, 04:05:30 PM
There are three full days. Friday is a full day. So, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Then Monday is a half day.

I meant adding another day.  So there will be five days in all.  I don't really count Friday, cause nothing really happens.  Most of the people don't even get there till late Friday.

Knightfire

Starting work for Fanime 2011

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: Knightfire on February 12, 2010, 05:15:44 PM
You mean having day zero start on Wednesday?

Or have the last day end on Tuesday.  Either way.  =p

Tony

Quote from: Yuki Valentine on February 12, 2010, 04:56:54 PM
I meant adding another day.  So there will be five days in all.  I don't really count Friday, cause nothing really happens.  Most of the people don't even get there till late Friday.

There's plenty going on Friday. ;D I'd suspect there's almost as much programming on Friday as there is on Saturday. Sunday is just ridiculously packed!

But if you really want to experience the convention for more days, work your way up to senior staff! Facilities staffers, for example, are there for a week: Wednesday morning to Tuesday night. And it'd be an understatement to say nothing is going on in those days - my busiest days and best memories are from Wednesday, Thursday, and Tuesday of con. ;D
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Yuki Valentine

Quote from: Tony on February 12, 2010, 05:23:44 PM

There's plenty going on Friday. ;D I'd suspect there's almost as much programming on Friday as there is on Saturday. Sunday is just ridiculously packed!

But if you really want to experience the convention for more days, work your way up to senior staff! Facilities staffers, for example, are there for a week: Wednesday morning to Tuesday night. And it'd be an understatement to say nothing is going on in those days - my busiest days and best memories are from Wednesday, Thursday, and Tuesday of con. ;D

But still...  I don't really want to be part of the staff, I was just wondering if there was any way that another day could be added to Fanime.  That's all I was asking.  ^^;;

michiko nakano

dude.  events begin on thursday.  friday is full of things to do.  saturday is full of things to do.  sunday is jam packed with things to do.  and there are plenty of things happening on monday.

thursday= day of fanime
friday= day of fanime
saturday= day of fanime
sunday= day of fanime
monday= day of fanime

that's five.  i know people who stay monday night as well and leave on tuesday.  i also know people who get there on wednesday.  and before wednesday.  that's like seven days. 

PyronIkari

No... because it's unreasonable. Most people have work and school, having another day of a con costs thousands of dollars and a lot of man hours. There's no way they will have enough attendees to cover that. They'd also have to increase registration fees as well.

So the possibility is pretty unrealistic.

lyricaldanichan

Having a 5 day con would burn out a lot of staff and I would imagine not a lot of people can get 5 days off. -_-;;;

ewu

We already have a 5 day con. first events open around 5 on thurs and end around 5 on Monday. That's nearly 100 hours of programing.

To give some perspective on staff, because we run from Thursday to Monday in 2009 I was on the ground from Wednesday at 8:00AM till Tuesday 5:00PM. That is a full week and five days off work, unpaid. I love it and its great but any more time would mean more time off. Getting staff on Thursday is profoundly difficult already, it'll be even more difficult getting them on Wednesday or Tuesday, let alone enough staff for full programing on Thursday.

So really, the gist of it is not enough staff. so no.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Glitch

An extra day would spread the excitement of fanime too thin. There's something special about it not happening for a long duration of time and only once a year.
Plus I'm usually exhausted by mid monday. I don't even want to imagine what the staff goes through.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Ghetto Kitsune on February 12, 2010, 04:05:30 PM

So wait you want staff to have more events of Friday because it's not like Sat/Sun? (>>) *Counting/calculating*
As far as I can tell, the only thing that Friday lacks is a BIG event like the Masquerade or MusicFest. But to be honest most people I know don't even go to those events. Hell I only went to MusicFest last year.
Big events like these cost a lot more to put up then say a panel. And it requires extra planning by staff who have to use there own time to plan the convention.
It would be unfair of attendees to demand more days then what is already given. Thursday/Day0 is already very generous of Staff to hold for us. Asking for more would force Staff do cut some things off, raise attenence prices, Lower the overall quality of events, or a combination of the three.
Plus most of us have jobs/school so it would be unwise to go any longer then the given 5 days. The only ones who could probably get away with it are the lucky few who's schedules allow it. Or High Schoolers / Fanatics who ditch School / Work because they couldn't give a damn.
In my opinion

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Kertus

I also agree with the majority of posters in this thread.

It is unrealistic to add another day onto the con.  I go thursday-monday as it is which is great and makes me pretty tired by the end :P
Few people can skip out on that many days of school or work just for the con and asking even more of the staff already is a bit much.  I personally think plenty happens on Friday, hell since the con opens up for pre-reg stuff on thursday it's nice to check in and get settled in and already see cosplayers and talk to people.

I think OP needs to arrive on Thursday and stay the whole con to understand.
I for one am glad that staff opens the con on Thursday night which I think is an achievement itself  :)
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

michiko nakano

Yuki Valentine, if Fanime is leaving you unsatisfied, then I suggest you attend other cons in addition to it.

Jerry

its unfair of you to ask the literally hundreds of staff members as well as the executive staff that put in countless hours of their lives to dedicate to this convention that is already.

5 days [no matter how you debate it] long convention:
Thursday - day zero.
Friday, Sat, Sun, and Monday full days

As other posters have mentioned... Fanime works around the year to get things prepped for this big occasion and a good portion of staff start working as early as Wednesday morning [as they jokingly called Day minus 1] to get things starting and work well into wed evening After the con is official over [tear down] wrapping things up as well as start planning for the following year.

although the idea of being anything like say--- AX or San Diego Comic Con size [one of only conventions that has a day zero on a Wednesday night and go til Sunday--- only bcuz theres no monday holiday---] aready proves that any more than 4days with a preview night is plenty.

that or arrange your own cos-play fanime friends gatherings or go to other convention as people have been doing for quite some time now.

*edits*

being staff totally shows a different side of the coin--- and would probably help you understand everything that goes into the Convention and be more appreciative of how much effort goes into this Con--- considering once upon a time...

this Convention started off as 1 day con... ;) so you could say its grown a bit since its very humble beginnings. :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Tony

Woah, um - yes, I think we got the point across to Yuki Valentine. ^^; Let's have mercy on the unknowing...  ;D

As has been expressed, we just don't have the money or manpower to host another day of FanimeCon. When we open the FanimeConLand theme park in 20XX, we'll be open Spring through Fall.

I'd definitely suggest joining/hosting events before and after the convention. Just going with a group on Thursday - or even Wednesday night - and staying in a hotel really extends the experience.

But my offer to join staff still stands. I would encourage you to enjoy the con, but when you start wanting more, join up. It's a totally different experience, and you really get to experience the convention for even more days - year around, really. Many of us get together outside of the monthly meetings and the convention itself to hang out, and I've met some really fantastic friends that way. It really extends the Fanime experience.

Again, these past few years, I've been attending FanimeCon from Wednesday through Wednesday (as staff, of course) and it's totally different. The excitement as the convention is set up and staff and attendees flow in... the fun of having the place to yourself during teardown... great stuff.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

Jerry

Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2010, 12:01:13 PM
When we open the FanimeConLand theme park in 20XX, we'll be open Spring through Fall.

I think Tony is hinting that its just a matter of Time when Fanime buys out Great America or Raging Waters and we'll have our own theme park in no time. ;)

I like this idea.  :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D