SF Cherry Blossom Festival

Started by shy-cosplayer, February 15, 2010, 05:34:23 PM

Foxberry

Wait a couple of days before CBF 18th date before making the call, it could be sweltering that day or it could be really cold.

Oniko

It's been weird here.... sunny one moment and raining the next.  I agree wait till a little while before and kind of feel it out.
06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

Dany

Here's what I've been using for the time being for weather reports because it has a 15 day forecast:

http://www.accuweather.com/us/ca/san-francisco/94102/forecast-month.asp

It was sunny and 56 last I looked there, now it's sunny and 71. That's.. a big difference. Then again, a 15 day forecast is more likely to fluctuate than a 10 day or sooner forecast.  Once it hits 10 days away (about three to four days from now), things will get a little more consistent and reliable. It's also the max for forecasting on Weather.com as well.

Speaking of which..

http://www.weather.com/outlook/recreation/outdoors/monthly/USCA0987

They are reporting chances of rain the week before between 30 and 60%, the higher percentages on the 15th and 16th.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Barnes

The 18th, eh? It's either this, or driving lessons.
Decisions, decisions.
Also a Proud Fanime Con Attendee since 1998!
Yay, Haruko.
http://myanimelist.net/profile/CapeBarnes

AbsolutelyCursed

You could use the driving lessons to go to SF and back after the festival.

leslie

If I'm driving from Sacramento should I just drive all the way to SF or should I park at one of the bart stations and take bart??
I know parking in SF can be really bad so I'm not sure which would be better because I'm also not too familiar with bart, but I have done it a couple times.

I need some advice please!
"Vodka means water in Russian, you know."

RyuHayabusa

Quote from: leslie on April 06, 2010, 06:28:57 PM
If I'm driving from Sacramento should I just drive all the way to SF or should I park at one of the bart stations and take bart??
I know parking in SF can be really bad so I'm not sure which would be better because I'm also not too familiar with bart, but I have done it a couple times.

I'm going to be doing the same thing as you are, but since I'm coming up from Hayward, I'll drive to West Oakland BART, park my car there and then take BART into the city. If you are coming from Sacramento, park at Richmond and take it from there.
My own Cosplay Photography Page:
AnimeCraft Entertainment LLC

lyricaldanichan

I wouldn't leave your car in Richmond. Better to drive to Concord and take the BART from there, they have a lot of parking and easy to
get to.

lady_tomoko

Definately take bart.I tried driving to the cherry blossom festival last year(BIG MISTAKE).I drove around for 40 miuntes trying to find a parking spot and i had to end up going home because there was no parking :'(I am definatley taking the train this year.

Dany

Quote from: lady_tomoko on April 07, 2010, 11:30:59 AM
Definately take bart.I tried driving to the cherry blossom festival last year(BIG MISTAKE).I drove around for 40 miuntes trying to find a parking spot and i had to end up going home because there was no parking :'(I am definatley taking the train this year.

Ugh! That had to stink :(

Speaking of which..anyone have a suggestion on what time to show up for parking if we want to try to get into the lot connecting to the Hotel Kabuki?  We're coming in on Saturday, but I'm trying to see when would be a good time to try to get there so we don't have to worry about moving for a little while.

My guess is Very Early. :P

leslie

Quote from: RyuHayabusa on April 07, 2010, 01:42:48 AM

I'm going to be doing the same thing as you are, but since I'm coming up from Hayward, I'll drive to West Oakland BART, park my car there and then take BART into the city. If you are coming from Sacramento, park at Richmond and take it from there.

Ok that sounds good, but I was thinking of parking at El Cerrito de Norte because I usually park there when I go to Berkeley.
Another question, which stop would I get off at if I take bart?? I have never taken it passed Berkeley.

Dany

Quote from: leslie on April 07, 2010, 04:51:04 PM
Ok that sounds good, but I was thinking of parking at El Cerrito de Norte because I usually park there when I go to Berkeley.
Another question, which stop would I get off at if I take bart?? I have never taken it passed Berkeley.

Civic Center. Coming in from East Bay, it's the stop after Powell Street.

If you look up "civic center BART san francisco" in Google, you'll get a map of the area surrounding it. Personal suggestion for walking (others may have a better option, but this is what I remember) runs like this:

-Walk on Market towards Hyde Street (it's 8th Street south of Market, Hyde north of Market). You should be walking towards the Orpheum Theater.
-cross Hyde Street and go towards Grove Street.
-Follow Grove Street one block to Larkin
-The City Hall park will be visible across Larkin. People traditionally gather on the side of the park next to City Hall itself, so you'll just have to cross the street and go to the other side of the park.

Andy

I'll be attending, hoping I can snag some good purchases here and there at the event.
Pro, as in: Accomplished, educated, perservering, passionate, precise, great, heroic, better than the rest, pokemon master. Jank, as in: weak, undernourished, failure, disgrace, uneducated, smellys like fish.

RikuCosplayer

Quote from: Dany on April 01, 2010, 03:41:20 PM
Quote from: RikuCosplayer on April 01, 2010, 07:01:36 AM
Btw, How do you get in the Cherry Blossom Festival
parade? And which parade session will have the cosplayers
in it? I want to know because I might want to be in the
parade. :3

Easy :) You just need to register at Japan Video in San Francisco, especially if you want to be in the costume contest..the last day to register is April 11th.  There is just a quick form that you fill out to get a confirmation number.

Then, everyone meets at SF City Hall on Sunday April 18th (there is only one parade, so no sessions), time depending on what you are doing.  Contest entrants (or folks who want to enjoy watching the costumes for the contest) should arrive at 10 AM. Parade only folks can arrive at 12 noon.

You don't -technically- have to register to just walk the parade route with the group, but as mentioned, Japan Video has, in the past, put together goody bags for all of the participants who do...it's not a guarantee for this year, but if they do it, you shouldn't let yourself get left out.

Hope that helps!

Ahh, thanks so much for the info! Its a good thing
Im going on the 18th, or I'd be missing out! lol
Pluss Im going on that day for the parade, and
my mother said I can go in costume. xp

Sorry for the late reply!^^;
~Current Cosplays~ ~%Progress~

KH2 Riku: 100% Finished!
Alois Trancy: 100% Finished!

~Cons Attended~   ~Cons Attending~

-Yaoi Con 2009          Fanime 2012
-Fanime Con 2010
-Sac Anime Con 2010
-Fanime Con 2011 

I<3 Sora & Ciel Phantomhiv

RikuCosplayer

Quote from: Angelx624 on April 04, 2010, 11:46:56 PM
@Dany, well last time it seemed they did. owO; They put all the Haruhi Suzumiya cosplayers in front sorta. XD That's all I know.

@Riku and Hanasuki, yesh the parade is the 18th. :3 Lol okies so if you guys can go that day a mini KH gathering we shall have! =P

O.M.Gee! A mini KH gathering at CBF?!
Im deffinitly up for this one!! YES! Two
big events in April! Cherry Blossom Festival
and the Fanime con. April Rocks!!! =D
-Excited, dances around Happily-

Sorry for the late reply.^^;;

<3 RikuCosplayer
~Current Cosplays~ ~%Progress~

KH2 Riku: 100% Finished!
Alois Trancy: 100% Finished!

~Cons Attended~   ~Cons Attending~

-Yaoi Con 2009          Fanime 2012
-Fanime Con 2010
-Sac Anime Con 2010
-Fanime Con 2011 

I<3 Sora & Ciel Phantomhiv

leslie

Quote from: Dany on April 07, 2010, 05:25:54 PM
Quote from: leslie on April 07, 2010, 04:51:04 PM

Civic Center. Coming in from East Bay, it's the stop after Powell Street.

If you look up "civic center BART san francisco" in Google, you'll get a map of the area surrounding it. Personal suggestion for walking (others may have a better option, but this is what I remember) runs like this:

-Walk on Market towards Hyde Street (it's 8th Street south of Market, Hyde north of Market). You should be walking towards the Orpheum Theater.
-cross Hyde Street and go towards Grove Street.
-Follow Grove Street one block to Larkin
-The City Hall park will be visible across Larkin. People traditionally gather on the side of the park next to City Hall itself, so you'll just have to cross the street and go to the other side of the park.

Ooo thanks!! This will help me out a lot!! I can't wait, my first CBF is going to be awesome!! ;D

Dany

Quote from: leslie on April 08, 2010, 03:04:38 PM
Ooo thanks!! This will help me out a lot!! I can't wait, my first CBF is going to be awesome!! ;D

No problem :D

Oh dear. *eyes calendar* One week and one day left for me to finish (because I refuse to do a thing on Saturday other than be a tourist :P).

Oniko

06- Ragnarok Huntress / 07- Haruhi Suzumiya
08- Shana / 09 - Luluko
10 - Holo / 11 - Flaaffy
12 - Inga / 13 - Lizbeth

prototypem

It's still too early too tell based on the weather forecast. Just hope it will be sunny.

Dany

Here's the Weather.com link for the 10 day forecast:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USCA0987

Right now it is saying "few showers", but it was saying no rain before that, so anything could occur at this point.

For now, I'm just going to plan to bring ultra-compact umbrellas and will see if Japan Video has a rain plan :)