Staying Thursday-Monday or Friday-Monday??....

Started by leslie, February 16, 2010, 10:45:16 PM

leslie

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone has any advice about how long to stay at fanime?? This is my first time at fanime and I have no idea what to expect so I was wondering if I should go Thurs-Mon or Fri-Mon?? As of right now I have a room booked at the St. Claire for Thurs-Mon, but I don't know if I should keep that or change it to Friday, help please!!! What are the benefits of staying Thurs-Mon instead of Fri-Mon?? All advice whether it is good or bad would be much appreciated!!

Thanks ;D
"Vodka means water in Russian, you know."

BrightHeart76

Thursday is the infamous "Day Zero".  It's a lot quieter and is a good way to kind of ease your way into the insanity that is Fanime.  Some years they have extra events, some years they don't.  It depends on what's available and what the planners choose to do that year.  You can pick up your Pre-Reg badge that day and that is usually the first night of the Swap Meet.  The line for your Pre-Reg badge is usually amazing.  Lot's of really excited people having a lot of fun.  The Swap Meet is great, and I usually enjoy it more the first night.  A good place to find good deals and see things you wouldn't normally see in the dealers room.  I've made some great buys in there before. 

Friday is good too.  Everything opens up on Friday.  The bonus there is you don't have to pay for your room Thursday night...that's a lot of money to spend if you're not going to do much on Thursday.

It really depends on you.  What do you want to do?  For me I like being there early because I spend part of Thursday and Friday branching out and seeing things in the Bay Area.  I went to the Tech last year, that was fun.  There are some really neat places to visit and explore if you're a tourist like me.  :)
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Kyra_Maverick

Thursday for sure! You have all day to unpack before you head over to the convention center to pick up your badge. You get the added bonus of not missing any of the excitement because everyone else is in line with you.

Thursday has other perks as well such as the Swapmeet, early Stage Zero programming, early video screenings and a good nights rest before everything starts on Friday.

Mr Anime

I stay from Thursday-Monday. But that's 'cause I have to drive up from L.A. Getting there on Thursday gives me a chance to recover from the boredom of the drive. Not much to see on the 5. Plus I'm able to pick up my badge before the mad rush on Friday morning. Plus you can check out the Swapmeet and get a little gaming in. Even though I suck.  :D
I'm the best at what I do. And what I do isn't very nice.

heeroyuy135

This'll be my first Thursday-Monday Fanime that I attend. Since I'm leaving on Thursday, I don't have to haul food down with me as I can go buy food from the local grocery stores the night before and thus I can haul more con-related stuff with me. Plus I can get some rest and have the peace of mind knowing that I'm not rushing to get everything down on Friday when I might be missing out.

FanFicGuru

I"m staying Thursday through Sunday. I don't hang out on monday because it's too depressing. The convention center is dead by like 2 PM...so I take off on Sunday while it's still hustling and bustling. lol...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Super No 1

I usually stay Thursday-Tuesday.  I drive up from Los Angeles so I would rather get there on Thursday.  I can get a decent night's rest and be ready to start the con on Friday morning.  If I were to travel up on Friday, I'd be too tired to do anything once I arrived.  Sunday night is still a good night for socializing and I usually end up staying up until really early on Monday morning.  I don't want to drive back to LA without another decent night's rest.  Monday night is pretty sad because the whole place is so empty, but it sure is relaxing.
Nergene A.
-super-no1.com - (Owner)
-J!-ENT - (Staff Photographer)
-Cosplay Underground - (Cosplay pictorials)

leslie

Thanks everybody for all the great advice!!
Hopefully my roommates and I can for sure make it that Thursday because from what everyone says it is going to be a lot of fun!!
I'm so excited I can't wait!! :D

Foxberry

I haven't attended before but we're staying Thurs-Monday because we want to make the most out of what we have. I suppose that we could just leave early instead but I'd rather go as long as possible. ^^ Though room-checkout is at 12pm anyway on Monday so even if it dies out at 2pm it's fine. We're going Thursday though because we're in Daly City and it would just be easier for us to arrive there on Thursday since we're going on Cal-Train and we'd miss a good deal of the con if we go on Friday and we'd have to get up very very early and I'm no morning person haha.

leslie

Quote from: Foxberry on March 08, 2010, 11:30:21 PM
I haven't attended before but we're staying Thurs-Monday because we want to make the most out of what we have. I suppose that we could just leave early instead but I'd rather go as long as possible. ^^ Though room-checkout is at 12pm anyway on Monday so even if it dies out at 2pm it's fine. We're going Thursday though because we're in Daly City and it would just be easier for us to arrive there on Thursday since we're going on Cal-Train and we'd miss a good deal of the con if we go on Friday and we'd have to get up very very early and I'm no morning person haha.

Yeah that makes sense. My friends and I are driving down from Sacramento so it would be a little bit more relaxing to show up on Thursday. Plus, as you pointed out we would miss part of the con on Friday and it's my first fanime con so I want to experience as much as I can! :D

So I will for sure be arriving Thursday instead of Friday! I'm sure it is going to be so much fun! Yay for day zero! ;D

Setsuryou

Thursday is simply THE BEST day to start out on. Thursday late night/Friday morning long line is LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG. And some people like to gather in massive clumps in the lines and that just causes all kinds of havoc, i.e. ¬_¬;

And if you happen to get your badge early Thursday, it gives you some time to enjoy a few other events going on before the con. And there's this wonderful little restaurant just a couple blocks down that serves some good food (I can haz sake? pl0x? =^o^=)

leslie

I love how everyone has reassured me that choosing to go on Thursday is a must! Thank you everyone! :D

Sora

I would say th-m, since it gives more time to unpack and everything. Also, you don't have to rush everything and not waste the con lining up in reg.
"Don't give me any orders."

Setsuryou

Quote from: leslie on March 24, 2010, 08:03:15 PM

Yeah that makes sense. My friends and I are driving down from Sacramento so it would be a little bit more relaxing to show up on Thursday. Plus, as you pointed out we would miss part of the con on Friday and it's my first fanime con so I want to experience as much as I can! :D

So I will for sure be arriving Thursday instead of Friday! I'm sure it is going to be so much fun! Yay for day zero! ;D

Of course, this is assuming you've registered already.

It's rather sad when people who haven't registered just come on Thursday not knowing the rules. ._.

leslie

Quote from: Setsuryou on March 25, 2010, 12:27:54 AM
Quote from: leslie on March 24, 2010, 08:03:15 PM

Of course, this is assuming you've registered already.

It's rather sad when people who haven't registered just come on Thursday not knowing the rules. ._.

I am already registered and my hotel room is already booked as well. So I have no worries. ;)

Eurobeat King

I usually am at the con from Thursday morning til Monday afternoon.  This year I have to get there early and stand in-line for pre-reg. to get my badge.  And like last year, since I took 4 days off from work, they'll probably ask me to close that evening, meaning I have to leave the con by 2:00pm even though there's still a good amount of people still there.   :'(

"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

leslie

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2010, 08:56:19 AM
I usually am at the con from Thursday morning til Monday afternoon.  This year I have to get there early and stand in-line for pre-reg. to get my badge.  And like last year, since I took 4 days off from work, they'll probably ask me to close that evening, meaning I have to leave the con by 2:00pm even though there's still a good amount of people still there.   :'(

What time does fanime usually end on Monday?? Sorry if that's a dumb question this is my first fanime.

ewu

Dealers room closes at 3 and closing ceremonies usually start at about 3 but some video rooms run till 4. Most panels are done by 1. The concourse is pretty empty by 4 and rooms are pretty much all closed down at 5.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

leslie

Quote from: ewu on March 26, 2010, 08:28:52 PM
Dealers room closes at 3 and closing ceremonies usually start at about 3 but some video rooms run till 4. Most panels are done by 1. The concourse is pretty empty by 4 and rooms are pretty much all closed down at 5.

Thank you! That is really good info to know. :)

Eurobeat King

Quote from: leslie on March 26, 2010, 08:10:00 PM
Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 26, 2010, 08:56:19 AM

What time does fanime usually end on Monday?? Sorry if that's a dumb question this is my first fanime.

Most of the time the dealers' room closes before 3pm, and Stage Zero goes on for most of the afternoon.  Cosplayers still hang-out around the Fountains area too.  For those who are coming from outside of CA or from So.CA they might leave early, while the locals stay until they leave.  To me, that's when the con ends.. when you leave.   :'(
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."