The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

akillakai

Quote from: Starherd on August 14, 2010, 08:43:22 PM
Quote from: akillakai on August 14, 2010, 09:30:35 AM
Hi! I'm doing my first cosplay, which is Dead Master, and I'm not sure how to wear her wings?

The back of my dress won't be open like that, and I'm planning on just making her wings out of cardboard then covering it up with craft foam.
I was also planning on just making it one piece, instead of the two different wings.

If the back of your dress won't be open, you could attach the wings to the back of the dress using strong magnets.  (There's a silver 1/2"-or-so disc kind at Michael's that are <i>incredibly</i> strong).  Put one set on the wings on the outside (facing away from your skin - can cover them with craft foam or whatever material, or paint over them, if you want), and use the other set on the inside of the dress.  May want to test first through layers, to see that you get magnets strong enough.  Sewing the wings to the dress would be another option, though not as removable.
That sounds like a good idea.
How would the magnet attach to my dress though?

Starherd

Quote from: akillakai on August 14, 2010, 10:30:02 PM
Hi! I'm doing my first cosplay, which is Dead Master, and I'm not sure how to wear her wings?

The back of my dress won't be open like that, and I'm planning on just making her wings out of cardboard then covering it up with craft foam.
I was also planning on just making it one piece, instead of the two different wings.

If the back of your dress won't be open, you could attach the wings to the back of the dress using strong magnets.  (There's a silver 1/2"-or-so disc kind at Michael's that are <i>incredibly</i> strong).  Put one set on the wings on the outside (facing away from your skin - can cover them with craft foam or whatever material, or paint over them, if you want), and use the other set on the inside of the dress.  May want to test first through layers, to see that you get magnets strong enough.  Sewing the wings to the dress would be another option, though not as removable.

Could sew it in with a small patch, to keep them in one place.  That'd be handy, come to think of it.  Not sure what kind of glue might work on them, if any...
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

akillakai

Quote from: Starherd on August 14, 2010, 10:39:15 PM

Could sew it in with a small patch, to keep them in one place.  That'd be handy, come to think of it.  Not sure what kind of glue might work on them, if any...
Um, what if I don't know how to sew?
>.<

BSaphire

Quote from: Starherd on August 14, 2010, 08:56:26 PM
Quote from: Rebeccakh on July 01, 2010, 02:41:31 AM
ok so im starting 2 new costumes for next year and i had a few questions before i get started on them
first off for my ouka costume

i was wondering how you'd go about making the werefeet boot things
i was planing on making shoe coverings but im worried about having a hard time walking in them x _ x im imagining id have to do the scuba fin waddle
second on her boa, does anyone know how to achieve that nice soft look of it? ive seen some people make it and it looks like a really fluffy towel so i was considering stuffing it a bit and what would i make the ends on it out of?

Hey - if nobody's suggested it yet, and you don't want to use fake fur for the long hair/tassels on the ends there, maybe you could use white wigs?  Might be able to find a couple cheap after Halloween, even.  :-)
I did Ouka Manga version with my daughter Youko_Kurama (pictured) Here is a private photo shoot I did (pg 5 & 6.) If you have any questions send me an email or a pm. Most of the work on this costume was hand done due to my sewing machine died.
http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/15557/p5
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Starherd

Quote from: akillakai on August 15, 2010, 08:34:36 AM

>.<

...Bother.  If I was there, I could show you; it'd be a very small amount of hand-sewing.  -_-;  ...Know anyone who does at all?  Wouldn't take any more skill than it does to replace a button, and they at least used to teach that in the military even... XD

akillakai

Quote from: Starherd on August 15, 2010, 03:45:15 PM

>.<

...Bother.  If I was there, I could show you; it'd be a very small amount of hand-sewing.  -_-;  ...Know anyone who does at all?  Wouldn't take any more skill than it does to replace a button, and they at least used to teach that in the military even... XD
Ah, there's no one I know who knows how to sew.
I'm hoping to be able to take some sewing classes soon, though.

Starherd

Quote from: akillakai on August 15, 2010, 05:00:55 PM

Um, what if I don't know how to sew?  >.<

It would only take some hand-sewing, rather than dealing with a machine, which is usually what classes are for.  Maybe this will help?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855908_hand-sew-patch-clothing.html
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDf07ZoVpoQ
(You'll want to sew the patches with the magnets inside on the inside of the dress, though, rather than the outside)

akillakai

Quote from: Starherd on August 15, 2010, 05:53:27 PM
Quote from: akillakai on August 15, 2010, 05:00:55 PM

Um, what if I don't know how to sew?  >.<

It would only take some hand-sewing, rather than dealing with a machine, which is usually what classes are for.  Maybe this will help?
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855908_hand-sew-patch-clothing.html
or
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDf07ZoVpoQ
(You'll want to sew the patches with the magnets inside on the inside of the dress, though, rather than the outside)
Thank you very much for all your help!
This seems pretty do-able.

Nina Star 9

Thank you so much, BSaphire! That was really helpful. <3

I doubt I'll be able to mold fiberglass, so I think I'll use fabric for those parts (and that way they can match the fabric around my legs, too). Now, where would I find a saftey cone, and would that be really heavy to carry (keep in mind that I have a pretty small frame, so carrying something really heavy around would be quite difficult!).

Haha, I'm glad that you think that people will take my picture. <3 I'm always worried about that because I've gone years where no one has taken my picture (or even said anything to me about my costume), and it's pretty discouraging. (Though I think I got enough pictures as Ulala this year to make up for all 8 of my previous Fanimes, no matter how many pics I got those years!)

I also need some convincing to do another cosplay... See, I really want to cosplay as Ayla from Chrono Trigger, but she wears hardly more than a fur bikini (fur bikini, small waist wrap that hardly covers anything, long scarf, wristbands, short boots), and that scares me. I'm thinking that if I lengthen the wrap into a full wrap-around skirt (still a short one, but something to cover my fur bikini bottoms) and lengthen the top slightly, I could do it, but I'm still a bit scared. I have the body to pull it off, so that's not a problem, and I've done both belly-baring and nothing-but-briefs-on-the-bottom cosplays, but I've never done one that combines the two AND adds the chest AND has the 'advantage' of being a sexy cavewoman. Should I go for it anyway? (If I don't, then I'll just go as Marle, who wears more clothing)

BSaphire

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on August 15, 2010, 09:51:21 PM
Thank you so much, BSaphire! That was really helpful. <3

I doubt I'll be able to mold fiberglass, so I think I'll use fabric for those parts (and that way they can match the fabric around my legs, too). Now, where would I find a saftey cone, and would that be really heavy to carry (keep in mind that I have a pretty small frame, so carrying something really heavy around would be quite difficult!).

Haha, I'm glad that you think that people will take my picture. <3 I'm always worried about that because I've gone years where no one has taken my picture (or even said anything to me about my costume), and it's pretty discouraging. (Though I think I got enough pictures as Ulala this year to make up for all 8 of my previous Fanimes, no matter how many pics I got those years!)

I also need some convincing to do another cosplay... See, I really want to cosplay as Ayla from Chrono Trigger, but she wears hardly more than a fur bikini (fur bikini, small waist wrap that hardly covers anything, long scarf, wristbands, short boots), and that scares me. I'm thinking that if I lengthen the wrap into a full wrap-around skirt (still a short one, but something to cover my fur bikini bottoms) and lengthen the top slightly, I could do it, but I'm still a bit scared. I have the body to pull it off, so that's not a problem, and I've done both belly-baring and nothing-but-briefs-on-the-bottom cosplays, but I've never done one that combines the two AND adds the chest AND has the 'advantage' of being a sexy cavewoman. Should I go for it anyway? (If I don't, then I'll just go as Marle, who wears more clothing)
I picked up four small ones a few years ago at Target. Start there and if not then try construction stores like Home Depot. When I was coaching cheer we would get assorted sizes mega phones that parents could buy (just a simple plastic cone that had mascot and logo on it) so there are some ideas for the cone. Work with the materials you are comfortable with until you develop the skills to work with other materials.

As for your other cosplay I can only say that if you feel comfortable with the idea of it then go for it. Modify the skirt if need be, I see nothing wrong with that, you need to feel comfortable and self assured in some cosplays in order to really pull them off. Glad I could help. Once I started costuming shopping in ANY store changed into "hummm... this could work for this cosplay." I can't even begin to tell you the number of things I have taken apart and recycled pieces of it in order to accomplish a cosplay. :)

I quit wearing a lot of cosplay that required the stop and pose for pics aspect, but I too will be bringing that back next year because I miss the joy I had cosplaying. So less work and more COSPLAY! YEAH!!!
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

FireDracon

Hi this will be my second year going to Fanime, i went to 2010 as Ward Zabac from ff8, For 2011 i want to tri something more difficult. This year im going to go as Cait Sith from ff7. And the problem im having is MOG. Yes the giant mog that Cait Sith rides on. Im going to be inside it. But heres my question how should i make it. We have an idea on how to make it fat. Use a hula hoop with straps that strap over my shoulders. But the problem has to make a frame or how to even put the costume together in the first place. Please help.

MyMidnightAffair

Hey there!
I just have some questions about HIMM's cosplay I plan on doing. :0
Does anyone know where I can find the fabric for the apron & ruffles shown here?

And what type of glue would you suggest I use when I create the ruffled headpiece & glue it to an actual white headband?
Super glue?
Gun glue?
Thanks!~

kagome437

hello, this is my second year going to fanime. first time going for the enitre weekend. yayz!!!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t255/kagome437/king_of_hell_v01_p132.jpg
i'm going to cosplay as majeh envoy version alternate color..its the guy in the picture. well i'm wondering if anyone knows how to style his hair go up like axel and dbz hair and then back down. its like a lobsided upside down v.
please help if you can, cuz i'm still staring at different wigs.

Charis

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on August 17, 2010, 05:48:35 PMDoes anyone know where I can find the fabric for the apron & ruffles shown here?

Looks like a fairly simple flat-woven material to me; I'd go look at your local fabric shop (e.g. JoAnn's) and look in the quilter's cottons for a heavier-weight material -- mostly because you'd want heavier to not show the black through.  Don't go too heavy (like a bottomweight or twill), because you'll lose a lot of the definition in the ruffles then.

As for affixing the ruffle to the headband: you could sew it on, but hot glue should be quite viable.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: Charis on August 18, 2010, 08:07:34 AM
Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on August 17, 2010, 05:48:35 PMDoes anyone know where I can find the fabric for the apron & ruffles shown here?

Looks like a fairly simple flat-woven material to me; I'd go look at your local fabric shop (e.g. JoAnn's) and look in the quilter's cottons for a heavier-weight material -- mostly because you'd want heavier to not show the black through.  Don't go too heavy (like a bottomweight or twill), because you'll lose a lot of the definition in the ruffles then.

As for affixing the ruffle to the headband: you could sew it on, but hot glue should be quite viable.

Thank you for your help! :D
I'll be sure to check JoAnn's this weekend or so.

Nina Star 9

Thanks for the advice~

I honestly felt kind of naked as Ulala, since I'm not used to having my midriff exposed, but after wearing it for a little while, I felt much better about it. I think that Ayla will be sort of the same way, and that is definately a costume that I will need some confidence to pull off! I've pretty much convinced myself to do it, if for nothing else but having something super easy to make to balance out the much more complicated Lady Blackpearl.

I'll have to track you down and show you my giant hammer at the con, and I want to see your costumes! Vanessa and I tried to find you on Sunday (after the picnic) this past con, but no one knew where you were. ;o; I thought you would have liked my dress.

Melly

ooh i has a question.

well more like a

"should i do this"

type thing.

oki well for my Misaki cosplay she wears like a baseball jersey type shirt xD

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100109151805/welcometothenhk/images/e/e9/Chara02.gif

and i was thinking of just getting a shirt like that but white/black and dying it Yellow

but then i got to thinking... do you think the black would like.. bleed into the yellow?

Charis

Quote from: Melly on August 22, 2010, 09:50:47 PMand i was thinking of just getting a shirt like that but white/black and dying it Yellow

but then i got to thinking... do you think the black would like.. bleed into the yellow?

Unlikely.  Commercial dyes are usually set pretty solidly, and in my experience you're unlikely to get that to run in the process of overdyeing the garment.  If you're worried, wash the garment first to get rid of any leftovers and then dye it, and you'll most likely be okay.  (Red is the one exception to this, in my experience; red dyes are particularly cranky about setting, which is why you'll get pink underwear if you wash them with that new red shirt. XD )
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Melly

oh i wasnt scared of over dying it ^^ but more of.. black getting into my yellow and turning into like.. caca color :(  XDD