The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

ispyangie

Does anyone know where to buy a magician/tuxedo-type of jacket or get one made? Preferably under $100.

I'm cosplaying as Zatanna from the DC universe and I can't find a similiar jacket, more so, a jacket that would be fitting on me as I am quite petite. ):
Tweet @ispyangie

JewishCosplayer

Quote from: ispyangie on January 17, 2011, 08:09:09 PM
Does anyone know where to buy a magician/tuxedo-type of jacket or get one made? Preferably under $100.

I'm cosplaying as Zatanna from the DC universe and I can't find a similiar jacket, more so, a jacket that would be fitting on me as I am quite petite. ):

Have you tried a Bridal Store? Where I live, I've seen a few of those types of jackets for sale. They are made for both male and female body types. If you don't have a Bridal Store where you live, then I'd try Ebay. I hope this helps :) Good Luck!

roth14

Does anyone know a good online shop to buy a Temari wig? I can style and cut it, but I am hesitant to buy from Ebay. And Cosworx doesn't have what I am looking for.

JewishCosplayer

Quote from: roth14 on January 18, 2011, 01:25:44 PM
Does anyone know a good online shop to buy a Temari wig? I can style and cut it, but I am hesitant to buy from Ebay. And Cosworx doesn't have what I am looking for.

I had the same trouble when I cosplayed Temari. Try CosplayMagic, or CosplayStation. Maybe even CosplayFU. If they don't have a pre-styled one, they do have all types of blond wigs you can style yourself. :)

Rank

Quote from: ispyangie on January 17, 2011, 08:09:09 PM

The cost will probably be around $90-120, but Fan Plus Friend takes commissions.
You can see examples of their jackets here. I have friends who have purchased cosplay and lolita from them before, so I can vouch for their quality. Everything is lined and sewn very professionally. I would recommend giving them multiple example pictures and being VERY descriptive, because they make -exactly- what you ask them. Measurements are very helpful, too, but they also understand "knee length" or "mid-thigh" and so on, if you don't have an exact inch length but an idea of where you generally want something. You're definitely going to have to give them your actual body measurements, though.
As an aside, you can tell them to combine certain parts of their stock jackets, if there's anything workable there.

Alternatively, you can just buy a stock costume for $50 like this: http://www.halloweencostumes4u.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?ref=google&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=rub889322&Category_Code=super-hero-costumes&Store_Code=hal. I don't know the size chart or the quality of it, but the set is $50, and you get what you pay for when it comes to halloween store costumes...

As a DC fanatic I couldn't ignore your asking for help, haha.

ispyangie

Tweet @ispyangie

xichisex

So, I want to do this cosplay, but I don't know how to go about custom making the fabric. It is straight black with a specific gold detailing and I don't know if you cut out the patter and sew it on, or if there is a different type of technique that people use for applying your own custom designs. Anyone know of how it is done? I see people do it all the time and WITHOUT thread lines. Kind of like how the characters from Vampire Knight have those perfect white lines on their uniforms except my pattern is larger.

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Nina Star 9

It sould be very helpful to know what you are cosplaying or to see a picture of it. It's hard to recommend a technique without knowing what the finished result should be, since applique, stenciling, screenprinting, handpainting, etc. would all be best suited for different looks.

roth14

Quote from: JewishCosplayer on January 18, 2011, 04:56:30 PM

I had the same trouble when I cosplayed Temari. Try CosplayMagic, or CosplayStation. Maybe even CosplayFU. If they don't have a pre-styled one, they do have all types of blond wigs you can style yourself. :)

Thank You!

JewishCosplayer

Quote from: roth14 on January 20, 2011, 01:41:36 PM
Quote from: JewishCosplayer on January 18, 2011, 04:56:30 PM

Thank You!

Your welcome :D

Hikoki17

Hello fellow Fanime members! I can't decide between four different characters I've made up so I was wondering if you could please help me decide. I am going to leave votes open for a day. You can help by simply replying with the letter a, b, c, or d. Thank you for your time and please encourage other people to take a moment to vote too. Feel free to ask questions/comment! Thanks for your time!

Admiral Donuts

I vote for Billy McBeard, effeminate-pirate-who-you-would-never-guess-is-engaged-to-Debbie.

Kuudere

Quote from: Jeimizu on January 20, 2011, 03:40:33 PM
I vote for Billy McBeard, effeminate-pirate-who-you-would-never-guess-is-engaged-to-Debbie.

I second this. He's one of my all-time favorite characters.

TrueIXVI

Ok, so...this Fanime is going to be my first cosplay ever and I am very determined to go as Deathspank but the thing is...I want this costume perfect. Where could I find a site that'll do the armor and stuff? Any recommendations or advice I can get?

Reference pics:

- http://www.deathspank.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/DeathSpank-.png

- http://i53.tinypic.com/2yzg9qd.jpg

Thanks in adanvance! ;>
Hero to the downtrodden. Vanquisher of evil. Dispenser of JUSTICE.

CosplayDevotee

So, I am unfortunately ready to rip my hair out when it comes to this problem. I want to get a wig that is multi colored browns and blacks dreads that I could use for my steampunk cosplay, but I can't find one ANYWHERE! I figure, I will have to make one. Any ideas or tips?

This is the look I'm going for with my wig: Sorry about the size of the image, I couldn't find anything smaller.  :-[

xichisex

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on January 20, 2011, 08:15:52 AM
It sould be very helpful to know what you are cosplaying or to see a picture of it. It's hard to recommend a technique without knowing what the finished result should be, since applique, stenciling, screenprinting, handpainting, etc. would all be best suited for different looks.
Basically like this costume:

http://www.barbscosplaycorner.com/?page_id=330

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

xichisex

So, I want to cosplay as young Hinata and as Seras Victoria  for FanimeCon 2011 and those require full white contacts [or gray] and red contacts with a small black pupil. I was wondering if I could get some good sites from other cosplayers from where they ordered their contacts or if you have cosplayed as these characters before where you got the contacts for them and if they were good.

I have a prescription for glasses and will have one soon for contacts, so I'm not worried about the new law involving prescriptions.

Thank you!

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Kuudere

If you want the really good ones that they use in movies/TV/theatre, a great source is 9mm SFX. They have the Byakugan contacts and regular white eye ones. "Red Devil" sounds like it fits the other one's description. You WILL be paying for quality, though. They're FDA approved and used in the professional industry, and they have a price tag to match. I've heard they do commission work as well.

There are other sites out there that will give you similar contacts for less, but just be aware that not all of them are very reputable. I'm not saying all of them are bad, just keep your eyes open for the shady looking ones (like ones that do not ask for prescriptions.) You don't want to trust your sight to something that may harm it.

moonlit

First time cosplayer here, I wanna cosplay a black mage from FF because I think it would be easy. I have no clue where to get anything though. I assume I can buy a balaclava from a sports store and get some shiny yellow paper to make the head. Any suggestions for where to get anything else; I don't mind sewing I just need to know what kind of fabric I should use. Maybe a suggestion on what to use for eyes or where to get a staff.

Pics:
Character sketch
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/index.php?title=Black_Mage_(Final_Fantasy)&image=Blackmage-ff1-art-png

A costume for even more reference: I didn't even know I needed gloves
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs32/i/2008/216/7/3/Cosplay___Classic_Black_Mage_by_crystalclover.jpg

Simna

So I am trying to perfect a cosplay I already have....and the one thing it is missing....two of these:

Sawed-off M79 Grenade Launchers

Anyone know where I can get a couple full-size replica/toy versions of these for not too expensive?