The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

udonoodle

MY TURN
alright my problem is finding natural looking red contacts
i purchased a pair of red contacts...but they came out very scary looking
anyone purchased red contacts that are "pretty" red rather then scary red?
what i mean is natural...the ones i have make it look like you are possesed rather then having real red eyes
thank you

maikiritori

@udonoodle
I understand your problem. However since red eyes don't occur natrually in humans, there aren't a lot of "natural" looking red contacts. You're looking for some that have some sort of two-tone or multi-tone effect.  I've listed a few sites that either give you good information on how to look and choose contacts, or sites that sell contacts that might be closer to what you're looking for.
The third link (discount lenses) has a "fox eye" red that when viewed on a person from a distance of 10 feet, would look fairly natural. Also keep in mind that your skin tone may effect how "natural" the contacts look. I hope this helped.

http://www.online-contact-lens-shop.com/

http://www.amasquerade.com/store_contacts.asp

http://www.discount-lenses.com/blog/products-page

http://color-my-eyes.com/c-11-halloween-contacts.aspx?pagenum=3
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

TheLorax

Hello! This would be my first time attending Fanime and I was wondering if cosplaying is strictly to be based on some sort of anime?
I was thinking along the lines of Elphaba from Wicked. Is that fine?

Also, the Masquerade thing. Is it a masquerade ball or is it a place where people perform?

Thank you for your time!

redroses3164

You can cosplay anything you want (as long as it follows the rules of course). It is never exclusively just anime cosplays out there. Elphaba is fine, I would encourage it actually because Wicked is a great place.

The Masquerade is a place where groups perform skits.

TheLorax

Awesome! :D
.....Where can I find these rules?

Good to know, 'cause I was thinking on showing up in a mask and everything.

Thanks so much! ^___^

Kyra_Maverick

http://www.fanime.com/events/displaying/ Scroll down for info on cosplaying

Basic rules would be decent coverage for clothing and no bare feet allowed. Also, a weapon policy will be posted eventually.

EJAY420

i AM LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO DO MY HAIR FOR FANIME. IM THINKING SOME BRAIDS. FOR 2 YEARS IVE BEEN HAVING TOP LONG HAIR.  I AM TRYING TO COSPLAY SASORI'S PUPPET HIROKU ( NARUTO SHIPPUUDEN). SOMEONE WITH EXPERIENCE PLEASE REPLY WITH HOW MUCH.
Most Impressive.

maikiritori

Sorry, I can't help you with this. However, if this were posted in the Cosplay Help Me thread, more people would be able to help you out.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

NoForests

This was my original costume idea but I would up having little money for it. My original idea was to get fluffy purple and pink striped leg warmers, but they're just too expensive and I couldn't find the fur to make them.

I would up buying this obnoxious, pink-and-more-pink hat/tail combo:
ttp://base1.googlehosted.com/base_media?q=http://www.catacombscds.com/images/alice_in_wonderland/cheshire-cat-hat.jpg&size=17&dhm=8aaee4a5&hl=en

And so it is a start, but what could possibly finish this up? Thank you so much for help!

Pengin-san

So I'm cosplaying a character with brown eyes, while I have teal-ish, blue-ish, not-so-brown eyes.  I'm leaning towards not buying contacts since they are rather expensive, but how bad would it be if I didn't?  I've been lucky with my past two cosplays, as they both had blue eyes.  I am a perfectionist, and I want this cosplay to be perfect.  Actually, I should ask, what do you see first in a cosplay that tells you the cosplayer did a good job?
I'm hosting a panel this year!  Come check out Visual Kei: More Than Music!  It will be filled with fun, glamor, and sheer awesome music!

BrightHeart76

Quote from: Pengin-san on April 14, 2010, 08:22:59 PM
So I'm cosplaying a character with brown eyes, while I have teal-ish, blue-ish, not-so-brown eyes.  I'm leaning towards not buying contacts since they are rather expensive, but how bad would it be if I didn't?  I've been lucky with my past two cosplays, as they both had blue eyes.  I am a perfectionist, and I want this cosplay to be perfect.  Actually, I should ask, what do you see first in a cosplay that tells you the cosplayer did a good job?

I have blue eyes and I've cosplayed a brown eyed character for years.  No one has ever called me on it.  You should be fine.  :)

When it comes to what I look for in a good cosplay that's not so simple.  I suppose the first test of a good cosplay is that I know who you are cosplaying as as soon as I look at you.  Appropriate colors and cloth type is important too.  The fit should be good.  I guess that's what I look for...don't know about anyone else.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

redroses3164

I'm looking for a good hoodie pattern. I could examine my own but I don't really understand the hood part.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: redroses3164 on April 15, 2010, 01:03:41 AM
I'm looking for a good hoodie pattern. I could examine my own but I don't really understand the hood part.
Before trying to make one, I'd check out some local thrift stores to see if it would be possible to modify one instead.

redroses3164

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on April 15, 2010, 11:26:44 AM
Before trying to make one, I'd check out some local thrift stores to see if it would be possible to modify one instead.

It's a bit of an odd colored one so I doubt I could find one but it's worth a shot.

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: redroses3164 on April 15, 2010, 10:33:45 PM
Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on April 15, 2010, 11:26:44 AM

It's a bit of an odd colored one so I doubt I could find one but it's worth a shot.
Worst case scenario you've got a cheap hoodie to dissect and build a pattern off of.   

Phantom Roxas

Cosplay suggestions? I'm unsure about which character I should go with, but I've considered Sora.

Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

Aeon Akashi

Hmn...can't anyone help me >: ?? I know the cosplay im trying to have ain't easy x A x;; Well if anyone thinks could help me make sure to send me a PM or something D:;;;

BSaphire

Quote from: Aeon Akashi on April 19, 2010, 11:13:56 PM
Hmn...can't anyone help me >: ?? I know the cosplay im trying to have ain't easy x A x;; Well if anyone thinks could help me make sure to send me a PM or something D:;;;
Most costumers  I know of are long since booked. So I can't direct you to any in particular. I will suggest looking on Cosplay [dot] com to see if there might be anyone with free time or possibly even the costume.

FYI... It is my practice (and a few other costumers I know) that they ask for 1/2 $ down up front (if they don't already have something pre-done for sell then it would be all of the $.) So if you look to consign this for next year you may want to find someone in the next few months.

As for this year... maybe look into a different cosplay that is easier to get together or maybe purchase on ebay.... etc.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

fanime_lo-ve

I was planning to make a new cosplay but.... this is will be my first time trying to make a mascot head. I'm not sure how to go about it. If you have any ideas let me know.

I plan to make a cosplay from Fairy Tail. The character I'm making is Happy! What materials do you think will be good to make this type of cosplay?
(>*0*)>Cosplays for 2010:<(*3*<)
{Soul Eater}-Mira Nygus
{Naruto Shippuuden}-7th Tailed (Shichibi)
{Bleach}- (Pendulum Arc) Yoruichi
{Teen Titans}- Bumble Bee
{Left for Dead 2}- Rochelle

prototypem

I got questions about wigs since it's my first time buying and using one.

I found a wig that looks very similar to the character I'm going to cosplay as, but the length is about 2 to 3 inches too long. Should I buy it and cut it to shorten it?
The other problem about the wig is that the hair moves in the opposite direction of the character I'm going to cosplay as. The hair is pointing left instead of right. I heard it's possible to reshape or restyle the hair, so how would I go about doing this?

*edit*
Nevermind. I just watched a lot of youtube videos and got my answer.