The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Rebeccakh

Quote from: tea on December 18, 2011, 11:00:48 PM
Would anyone happen to know a simple way to sew on dragon "spines" down the middle of a sweatshirt hood? Do I just take a scissor to the hood and..cut?

Aaaa sorry if the answer is obvious! I have no..skill in sewing..at all..
nyuuuuuuuuu!!! >O<!!!

nonononono! *explodes*

you wont have to do any cutting on the sweatshirt D: just get material and make triangles and sew them together, stuff them so they stand up, then sew them onto the hood. It's pretty simple I suggest looking up "how to make a dragon hoodie" and you'll probably find some helpfull more in depth guides with pictures. Good luck!

xichisex

I'm going to be cosplaying Gumi this year, but I can't find a green wig cap anywhere! D: Anyone know of a site?

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

xichisex

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

pinkraintoday

This may sound absolutely ridiculous, but for a Roronoa Zoro cosplay, with wooden katana, how would I go about carrying them on my hip? He does not keep them propped in his haramaki, so ... Any ideas on some kind of cloth tie or tricky loops I could do? Perhaps sew holster-ish things onto my pants?

Chesid

I'm currently working on a cosplay of Princess Luna (a gijinka version, that is) from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. Specifically, the Season 2 version, with the flowy mane. Linked for ease of recognition/reference.

I have the long, wavy blue wig, but I'm wondering how I should tackle the purple look. I've had suggestions of attaching a thin, sparkly purple veil, but I'm also thinking that perhaps lightly spraying (like through a screen) the wig with purple glitter hairspray would work even better. My line of thinking is that it might be a complete pain to have to possibly readjust a veil every now and again, plus I'm afraid that it might dislodge entirely, say, during the Black & White Ball.

However, I'm worried that spraying the wig might make it too stiff to style (which, to be honest, my wig doesn't need much done to it -just a little brushing and maybe a trim in the bangs region; it's practically perfect as-is).

TL;DR: Does anybody else have experience with spraying a wig with glitter spray, or using a veil? Which is more practical for cosplay, and dancing?
Fanime '13:
(The Great and Powerful) Trixie - MLP:FiM
Ariel, "Kiss the Girl"/town dress - The Little Mermaid

BunofGovt

Quote from: pinkraintoday on January 08, 2012, 06:26:15 PM
This may sound absolutely ridiculous, but for a Roronoa Zoro cosplay, with wooden katana, how would I go about carrying them on my hip? He does not keep them propped in his haramaki, so ... Any ideas on some kind of cloth tie or tricky loops I could do? Perhaps sew holster-ish things onto my pants?

Either sew loops on to your pants, or maybe attach loops to a belt to wear just under the haramaki?  The cosplayers I've seen have just carried the katana so I don't know how else it could be done (the haramaki would have to be corset stiff to try attaching loops directly to it  :D)

Quote from: xichisex on January 05, 2012, 08:37:19 PM
I need a green wig cap, but I don't know where to buy one! D:

I thought cosworx.com had some before, but I can't find any there, or epic cosplay, or on Googling.  If you don't think a tan (light brown) wig cap will work, you might try getting some green panty hose and trying to fashion a wig cap from them.  St Patrick's day is coming up, so hopefully you'll be able to find some in the light green color.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

Charis

Wig caps are made of nylon, and as such can be dyed (I've used Jacquard acid dyes in the past) if you can't find one in the right shade.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Kpmonkeygirl

Sorry, I am new to anime conventions in general. I have never been to one. And pardon me if there is already a thread like this.

So right to the point, I hear that people make their own costumes. Could you please tell me where do you get the patterns? On Joanne fabrics I could not find any 'cosplay' patterns. I want to make at least 2 costumes so far; one for Soi Fong(The cape especially) from Bleach, Hinamori from Bleach, and MAYBE a maid. I am a pretty fast sewer, but not that good. My mother has a sewing machine and she said I could use it.

How do you guys get your patterns?

Thank you for taking your time to answer my question!
""To move is to stir, and to be valiant is to stand; therefore,
if tou art mov'd, thou runst away."

lovelessneko

I draw out the outfit and then break it down into shapes and how it would fit my body and look right. I pretty much make the pattern myself and figure out where the stitching would be less noticeable. I hope this makes sense. Have a friend who is more experience help if needed.
Fanime 2012 Cosplay!!
Princess Bubblegum
Angel Stocking
FEM!Hibari or Bianchi
Fran (maybe...)

Kpmonkeygirl

I was thinking about doing something like that, however I am not as good as a sewer as my sister.........>.>

Dany

Quote from: Kpmonkeygirl on January 20, 2012, 02:23:45 PM
So right to the point, I hear that people make their own costumes. Could you please tell me where do you get the patterns? On Joanne fabrics I could not find any 'cosplay' patterns. I want to make at least 2 costumes so far; one for Soi Fong(The cape especially) from Bleach, Hinamori from Bleach, and MAYBE a maid. I am a pretty fast sewer, but not that good. My mother has a sewing machine and she said I could use it.

How do you guys get your patterns?

A LOT of places. I would say about 75 percent of what I have is stuff I've grabbed up from the costume sections of the Big 3 pattern companies, and 20% from Truly Victorian, a site for..you guessed it, Victorian era historical patterns, and 5% from more obscure vendors like JP Ryan, Mantua Maker, etc. (again, most of these are historical). You usually will have to use parts of several patterns to piecemeal something together, and even then you might need to modify it for both sizing and fit.

JoAnn's is good for getting something fast and getting out from the Big 3 without having to wait for shipping, assume their stock is there. They also usually have books with pictures of clothes made from patterns and information. I tend to browse the costume and bridal/formalwear sections very heavily when I'm looking for patterns to use for projects. Generally, it's like a puzzle...you know what shapes you need, you just need a pattern that is close enough to get those shapes.

Throw in the occasional self-drafted thing, and it's like building Frankenstein :)

You're not likely to find "cosplay" patterns specifically named and specifically generated for an anime character, mostly for licensing reasons. The exception I have seen is in the Layers magazines from Japan, but usually it's a "character of the month" that I am assuming they got authorization to do and you would have to rely on them actually having a character you want. Cosmode also will issue out patterns for things from time to time, but again, they are usually generic patterns for commonplace anime character clothing...pants, jackets, pleated skirts, you know the drill. Bear in mind that Cosmode patterns, for whatever reason, do not provide seam allowances like the US companies do. I'm not sure whether this is due to preferences (some people like a certain size seam allowance to work with) or because of printing costs (though they already do THAT by drawing patterns on top of each other), but there's nothing like learning that the hard way XD
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Kpmonkeygirl

Okay! That helps! Thanks!

jingko

you can also get patterns that are similar to what your going to make and, using a blank pieces of paper, draw out what you need extra or to take out what you need. (taking out is easier to me) i would say doing it out of cheap muslin/cotton first so you have "pattern" to use for the final outfit that
1. fits better, and
2. works better.
but that's how i do it, and yes it does take time so start them with lots of time in advanced!
if your crunched on time then you can still do the above mentioned with the patterns but with the fabric that your going to be using.
(fyi by i little bit more then you need for mistakes and just for extra, you never know when you'll need it!)
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

laudanine

I'm a big fan of cannibalistic sewing, so to speak. I thrift-store trawl for things that are like what I need, then tear them apart and reassemble them until they look about right. Generally, no, that's not the final piece because it'll be part orange and part lace and part hideous floral pattern, but it makes a good mock up that one can then tear apart and use as a pattern. It does, however, cost you however much the thrift-store clothing was, so it can cost a little bit more then just finding the perfect $5 pattern.

I have a quick question about patterns, however, so I'll trow it up here: I'm trying to make an above-bust-line shrug with a mandarin collar. I was planning on finding a pattern for a blouse with a nice mandarin collar and sort of truncating the chest. Any other advice/input, or does that sound logical? (admittedly, I'm a bit intimidated by the mandarin collar. O_O )
"If you didn't want it, and I didn't need it..."

jingko

there are shrug patterns out there with that collar but if you get the right shrug then making a mandarin collar is not that hard to adapt. that what i would do.
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

laudanine

Most of the shrug patterns I'm finding have a plunging neckline, not really conducive to a mandarin collar. I'll keep your advice in mind and keep searching in both directions, but I never thought that it would be THIS part of the outfit that would frustrate me, lol!
"If you didn't want it, and I didn't need it..."

CommandantCat

Hellooo, Just a curious cosplayer just hoping that some help can be found!

I have for some time intended to make a lovely set of angel wings, for cosplay of a character perhaps, or my own design just so I can show off a fabulous set of moving wings!

I have the design layed out, and I believe I understand the pulley system. I also have the dimensions and a general idea as to how they will be worn, but is anyone experienced in making a pair of feathered wings?

Worn on the back through/under a jacket of some sort, a pulley system that could be either through the sleeves of by my side, either way.

Simply trying to find tips, perhaps specific materials, or any overall suggestions for this decently large project I will try to complete with 4 other original costumes for others before the convention rolls around

Thank you to anyone who can provide any defining information!

-CAT
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Maskenlav

I didn't make mine but I have a good idea on how your pulley should be. Have it go over your shoulders like an over-all strap hillbilly style and then toss on a shirt :D btw I had mine commissioned on www.cosplay.com OR a trusted cosplay website like www.cosplayhouse.com or www.mooncostume.com (it's halloween themed BUT they do cosplay very nicely and I strongly recommend moon costume. They reply faster and are understandable)

If your trying to make it I suggest you use 12-inch long white turkey flight feathers from www.Fancyfeather.com as your basic white ones. I had black feathers that are real and aren't plastic. I bought about 1,250 because I didn't know how many I would use and the box contained a mixture of left and right feathers and I wasn't sure how many of each there would be. Also I only had time to wait for one order lol
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

CommandantCat

Quote from: Maskenlav on January 26, 2012, 09:40:33 PM
I didn't make mine BUT I have a good idea on how your pulley should be. Have it go over your shoulders like an over-all strap hillbilly style and then toss on a shirt :D btw I had mine commissioned on www.cosplay.com OR a trusted cosplay website like www.cosplayhouse.com, www.cosplaymagic.com or www.mooncostume.com (it's halloween themed BUT they do cosplay very nicely)

If your trying to make it I suggest you use 12-inch long white turkey flight feathers from www.Fancyfeather.com as your basic white ones. I had black feathers that are real and aren't plastic. I bought about 1,250 because I didn't know how many I would use and the box contained a mixture of left and right feathers and I wasn't sure how many of each there would be. Also I only had time to wait for one order lol

Thanks for the idea on feather type! I was thinking of using the wings for an Ash Landers cosplay from Kuroshitsuji at some point in time, so I may just stick with white.. hm.. black would be quite bad-ass though..

Either way! I wish I had the will power.. and money... to fall prey to buying someone else's creation, sadly though this must be fabulously handmade!

I was going to make a basic backpack concept wings cannot be the lightest thing to wear (lol... almost a joke) while supported against a more firm back plate, which would then have the pulley / base fram of the wing attached.

COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Maskenlav

Haha np, got the idea from my post in the section huh? ;) I am doing a dark romance cosplay too so I can easily swap my red bowtie with the black tie and take off/on the vest lol if you need some more websites I'll be happy to do some research and request quotes then show you what they price and time of delivery, ect.
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"