The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

dajoo

Elmer's glue isn't a bad way to go about it, but you might also try real stitch thread(or something of that guage,) and use spirit gum to adhere it to your face. Gives the most realistic look because you really have stitches on your face.
Quote from: koolcalcat1 on June 10, 2012, 12:42:07 PM
So i have a question how would one make face-stiches with out latex? (I'm allergic)

Rhoswen

So cosplay id Alice "um" from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.
? is what materials can i use and how to make the sword look like metal?
there is a picture of the movie prop in link below.
http://geekfemme.blogspot.com/2010/03/nerdy-photo-monday-alice-in-wonderland.html
Thank you for any help ^.^
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

Yorika~

So first, is there any good site to buy cosplay that doesn't use paypal. My parents don't have one and refuse to get one.
Cosplay Line-up:
Suiseiseki - Rozen Maiden
Takahashi Minami - AKB0048
Young Angelina Durless - Kuroshitsuji
Secret Cosplay - MLP
Nagisa Motomiya - AKB0048

Possibly
Makoto - Free!

AnimefanJJ

Quote from: SUISEISEKI~DESU! on July 21, 2012, 07:25:47 PM
So first, is there any good site to buy cosplay that doesn't use paypal. My parents don't have one and refuse to get one.
there isn't many that I know of. Most of them use paypal heavily because it is easy.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Rikun

Hey everyone!  I'm considering dressing for the next Fanime, but I figured before I even begin to construct it, I was wondering if his flamethrower was ever an issue.

I want to know in advance before I start buying parts and whatnot.  If I CAN bring this to con, I'd like some advice as to how I could construct this as cheaply as possible and what kind of components would be best to use.

I also wanted advice on how to build the Pyro's airtank on his back, especially how to best make the harness so I can wear it.

Thanks!

kane64

Quote from: Rikun on July 24, 2012, 08:48:40 AM
Hey everyone!  I'm considering dressing for the next Fanime, but I figured before I even begin to construct it, I was wondering if his flamethrower was ever an issue.

I want to know in advance before I start buying parts and whatnot.  If I CAN bring this to con, I'd like some advice as to how I could construct this as cheaply as possible and what kind of components would be best to use.

I also wanted advice on how to build the Pyro's airtank on his back, especially how to best make the harness so I can wear it.

Thanks!
I believe that the flamethrower is fine... if you don't have an actual propane tank attached to it and none of the mechanics on it actually work.
"I'm addicted to Star Trek
"I'm a Klingon speaking federation freak
"I find I'm more inclined
"To spend the bulk of my time
"On the starship Enterprise
"Than talking to girls I meet"
-Deaf Pedestrians

Admiral Donuts

Quote from: Rikun on July 24, 2012, 08:48:40 AM
, I'd like some advice as to how I could construct this as cheaply as possible and what kind of components would be best to use.

A 2 litre pop bottle might do for the air tank, a pair of suspenders from a military surplus store would be a cheap start to a harness. Military surplus is the place to look for a gas mask if you don't have one.

As for a propane tank, a really good substitute would be an empty mini-draught keg, I bought one in San Jose for $20 (and THAT was filled with beer) so you can probably find one at a recycling depot for a few bucks if you don't want the beer.

as for the other parts of the flamethrower, plumbing section of the hardware store and old vacuum cleaner attachments should work well.

Haunterluvcookies

I got a question for anyone. Any ideas would be of great help. I was wondering if anyone knew anyting about traditional chinese clothing for men. Mabye some sights that I can buy the clothing from.

Anything would be of great help. Thanks  ;D
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

koolcalcat1

I NEED HELP!!!

how do i attach a horn to a wig? (My liitle pony cosplay) What would be the least damagin to the wig but the most durable as well?

I should also say the horn is big and made out of duck tape/

azreale

So, I'm sculpting a Psycho mask From the Borderlands game...
Heres what they look like for those who don't know the game:

Here's what I have so far: crappy photo quality, but its what i got.
I'll be painting on most of the details once i make a cast of this, but want opinions and critiques first.  details like the eyes, facial markings and such will be added later.
My question is, does anyone thing anything structurally needs to be changed? Am I way off?  Its my first time making a full mask, let alone one so detailed... any critique helps!  Thanks1
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Dagger-6

Quote from: Pologirl on July 19, 2012, 02:43:50 PM
So cosplay id Alice "um" from Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland.
? is what materials can i use and how to make the sword look like metal?
there is a picture of the movie prop in link below.
http://geekfemme.blogspot.com/2010/03/nerdy-photo-monday-alice-in-wonderland.html
Thank you for any help ^.^

If you want to make something look like metal, the biggest keys are a nice base texture and s a good paint job.

For texture, whether you're working with foam, bondo, or plastic, make sure you get something workable.  The vast majority of props I see that stick out like a sore thumb tend to be paper mache products which retain their lumpy newspaper clumped form underneath.  There are few metal objects in the world with that texture.

For painting, Stan Winston Studios has a great video entitled "METALLIC PAINTING TECHNIQUES" that I highly recommend purchasing.  Here is a preview:
http://youtu.be/IrAyrV7M_ZA

Good luck!

Dagger-6

Quote from: azreale on August 12, 2012, 06:08:40 PM
So, I'm sculpting a Psycho mask From the Borderlands game...
Heres what they look like for those who don't know the game:

Here's what I have so far: crappy photo quality, but its what i got.
I'll be painting on most of the details once i make a cast of this, but want opinions and critiques first.  details like the eyes, facial markings and such will be added later.
My question is, does anyone thing anything structurally needs to be changed? Am I way off?  Its my first time making a full mask, let alone one so detailed... any critique helps!  Thanks1

Don't skimp on the smoothing!  Looks like a good start but definitely still very rough. What material are you working with?

therandomeer

Hello there! I plan on cosplaying as Sollux in Fanime 2013. I've mastered his lisp and voice to the best of my ability, but my problem is the costume. Do you lovely cosplayers had any advice for making horns, buying shirts, or anything at all? My friends also plan on going as Homestuck characters, such as Eridan and Jane Crocker. Any advice would be gratefully appreciated!
"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

Makise09

Looking for help on buying a cosplay. I'm aiming to be Inori from Guilty Crown but don't really know the best place to buy it. I'm looking for the white version but most places I've seen sell the main red/orange outfit. If anyone can point me in a good direction I'd very much appreciate it.

Chesid

Google is your friend for this; you can buy the shirts premade, I've seen horns for sale on Etsy, as well as ebay. If you want to make them yourself to lower costs, you can find tutorials on deviantart.
Fanime '13:
(The Great and Powerful) Trixie - MLP:FiM
Ariel, "Kiss the Girl"/town dress - The Little Mermaid

therandomeer

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." -SH

InsaneMist

what is the cheapest wood material to make props with?

Dagger-6

I would recommend MDF.  It's cheap, easy to sand and shape.  And it has very little wood grain/texture.  You can find boards of it in various thicknesses at Home Depot or any other similar store.

dajoo

Balsa is also a good wood to use. It does have a grain to it, but the nice thing is that it is light weight and easy to cut with even an exacto knife. What are you trying to make as that can influence what type of wood/material to use.

archer1989

Myself, I tend to stick with pine, it's easy to mess with if you use a jigsaw and sandpaper, easy to paint and fairly inexpensive and the weapons I craft tend to be fairly durable as long as they are not used in actual combat.  They also tend to have a nice weight to them so they weapon, say a sword, is not to heavy or to light.