The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

aetherltd

How much wood do you need, and how big a piece?

For sheets, MDF is a good basic material. If you need boards, pine is the cheapest. It's all at Home Depot.
Trash wood isn't hard to find; many large stores and industrial plants will have trash wooden pallets around the back. Construction sites generate whole dumpsters full of wood cutoffs.

finnieon

sooo i was going to buy a wig wig online but then i was like i wonder if its hard to make your own wig sooo here i am anybody know how to make a miku kind of twin tail wig?
Weiss (RWBY)
kurumi (Date a live)
Celestia (danganronpa)
nonon jakuzure (kill la kill)
Nagisa (FREE!!)
White Rock Shooter (BRS)

dajoo

Is it hard? Not per say. The real thing is it is a long tedious process that will look horrible if you don't know what you're doing/how to layer the hair. I've seen pre-styled Miku Twin tails before and compared to the cost of buying all the materials needed to try and make one they are a steal. That said the best things you can do for a wig is always use a wig cap when wearing it, and getting a head block to put it on when not in use.

DarkMoonlitStar

"Find yourself, that's the key & I am the only person I can be, myself, that''s me."
2015 Cosplay -tentative-
Shiro- No Game No Life
Koujaku- DraMaticalMurder
Esdese/Esdeath- Akame ga Kiru!
Daiki Aomine-Kuroko no Basuke

ministrychick77

hi! i need help on a Deadpool cosplay.. well, advice as well. first time actually putting together a "real" cosplay. if anyone's done Deadpool and has advice..

mainly looking for help on the pattern for the black part of the back torso and the right fabric for the face to where i can see through the mask.

also, i have the basic red zentai suit and am planning to add black fabric. which fabric is best?
probable Fanime 2013 cosplays:
Deadpool (some version)
Grumpy Cat

Nina Star 9

Quote from: DarkMoonlitStar on November 27, 2012, 07:43:51 PM
Does anyone have any experience in making sports jerseys and screen printing? It's for my Aomine cosplay from Kuroko no Basuke.

Reference:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Kuroko-no-basuke-Gakuen-Aomine-Daiki-No-5-Jersey-Cosplay-Costume-/00/s/NjI4WDc2Ng==/$T2eC16NHJH8E9qSEU6VsBQ!UEK7dg!~~60_3.JPG
I don't have experience with screen printing (or sports jerseys, for that matter), but if you can't get the right equipment for it, making a vector of what you need, printing it out in the correct size, and using that to create a stencil would work quite well. I have always used manila folders for stencil material, but I have heard that freezer paper works well, and something like a ceral box cardboard would also work well, provided you can cut it cleanly (this advantage of this is the stiffness of it).

I'd practice with the stencil, since it takes a bit of finesse to get down, before you do your final, but if you can't screenprint...well, this will only cost you a bottle of fabric paint (as you likely have a folder, a paintbrush, etc.), and it isn't very tough to do. When painting, I try to weight down the stencil so it doesn't shift, and then carefully do the outer edges first, working my way in, doing touch-ups after the stencil is removed on any globby or less-than-crisp edges.
For the parts that are enclosed lines with a center (like the A, or two of the radicals on the kanji), I'd just hold the center piece in place, which takes a little practice to get right, but works. (You can pin it down, if nothing else) You can also leave a small "support" holding the center in place, and then going over where the support was by hand (or making another stencil just of that small area, but you'd have to not only make two stencils, but wait until the paint was fully dry)

Screenprinting will get you that distinctively smooth and crisp look, so it's a better option if you can do it, but if you can't stenciling is a close second.

Good luck!

DarkMoonlitStar

@Nina Star 9 Thanks for the suggestions! I'm still trying to decide what to do (I haven't gotten any materials yet). I was thinking the same thing, if I can't screenprint then I'd paint it on myself.
"Find yourself, that's the key & I am the only person I can be, myself, that''s me."
2015 Cosplay -tentative-
Shiro- No Game No Life
Koujaku- DraMaticalMurder
Esdese/Esdeath- Akame ga Kiru!
Daiki Aomine-Kuroko no Basuke

dajoo

Also try and do a test run on a similar fabric to see how the paint/dye will absorb/spread. I've used dark tshirt printer transfer paper before for things like that. It comes out pretty good and then you don't have to worry about stencils, just vectoring up a good design.  You can get the paper at Michael's where they have the shirt decorating stuff. If you have one available to you and are going the paint route try using an airbrush first as it will give you the look without having to gob on the paint as much.

xSvenja

Can anyone give any suggestions on how to make Judal's bracelets and necklace? (The Labyrinth of Magic or Magi) I want to make them easy to slip on and off but also accurate to the character. any suggestions?

frej2514

Hi
I'm a short haired blond, pale girl, and i need some Ideas for cosplays.
They have to be rather simple or cheap to buy. (make-up is not a problem just the clothes)
I love to cosplay either the gory-type of characters or the happy/hyper/cute ones^^
:)

Naiagu

Fanime line up 2017:
Thur:
Fri: Ruby Rose 4th Season
Sat: Sa-chan(Gintama)
Sun: AM Haruhi (Ouran) / PM Phichit (YOI)

echoshadow

simple enough, and yet tried and true.. school girl/boy.
That's as simple as it gets really. And hair length/color really doesn't matter. One word: wigs.
You can get some good ones from $30-60.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

Lucifargundam

Edward Elric? Winry? Lt. Hawkeye? (full-metal alchemist)
Faye Valentine(purple hair, Cowboy Bebop)
Meryl Stryfe(black hair) Zazie the beast (trigun)
Sylvia Van Hossen (Princess lover, long-hair pulled back)
Balalaika(scarred face, long hair) Eda(nun-costume and shades)    (Black Lagoon)
Lurichiyo Kasumiouji, Neliel Tu Odelschwank(green hair), Yachiru Kusajishi(pink hair)(Bleach)

if that the master a 'prentice have,
Entirely then that he him tell,
That he the craft ably may know,
Wheresoever he go under the sun.

Rhoswen

Quote from: trooper715 on August 29, 2012, 10:00:27 AM
Quote from: azreale on August 12, 2012, 06:08:40 PM
So, I'm sculpting a Psycho mask From the Borderlands game...
Heres what they look like for those who don't know the game:

Here's what I have so far: crappy photo quality, but its what i got.
I'll be painting on most of the details once i make a cast of this, but want opinions and critiques first.  details like the eyes, facial markings and such will be added later.
My question is, does anyone thing anything structurally needs to be changed? Am I way off?  Its my first time making a full mask, let alone one so detailed... any critique helps!  Thanks1

Don't skimp on the smoothing!  Looks like a good start but definitely still very rough. What material are you working with?

Thanks so much ^.^ I hope I can make it because It's been hard with school and sports >.<
Stars cannot shine without Darkness.

SeverusSnapeLovesMe

I am making my first My Little Pony costume this year - Fluttershy. I have no idea how to make wings as I have never made wings before this cosplay. Any suggestions on material or "how-to" would be greatly appreciated.

Magetastic

Quote from: SeverusSnapeLovesMe on January 24, 2013, 11:25:57 AM
I am making my first My Little Pony costume this year - Fluttershy. I have no idea how to make wings as I have never made wings before this cosplay. Any suggestions on material or "how-to" would be greatly appreciated.
Hey there. :D

I made some wings for my Fluttershy! I have a tutorial on my tumblr showing my process plus the original link to the YouTube video that I took some help from too.

http://magetastic.tumblr.com/post/32630402274/ok-so-early-this-month-a-friend-of-mine-ana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALtpxsgRCcQ

I also made the wings again with felt (or any fabric you like) and stuffed them. They kinda flopped down but they'll look really good and full if you sew them on to your costume.

http://tmblr.co/ZtKPguabo6BR

Anyway, hope I helped. :3
Fanime 2013 line up:
Friday: Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It-Ralph)
Saturday: Fluttershy (My Little Pony-Friendship Is Magic)
Sunday: Aladdin (Magi)

Magetastic

Quote from: echoshadow on January 22, 2013, 01:55:28 AM
That's as simple as it gets really. And hair length/color really doesn't matter. One word: wigs.
Quote from: echoshadow on January 22, 2013, 01:55:28 AM
Speaking of school girl....do you like Fushigi Yuugi? You could try Yui Hongo.

http://download.minitokyo.net/Yui.Hongo.47654.jpg

Also there's this site, you can search by trait: http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/

I already did a basic search for you: http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/sresults.php?sex=2&eye_color=0&hair_color=2&hair_length=4&age=0&mimikko=0&mymax=20&otherchar=0
Fanime 2013 line up:
Friday: Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It-Ralph)
Saturday: Fluttershy (My Little Pony-Friendship Is Magic)
Sunday: Aladdin (Magi)

SeverusSnapeLovesMe

Quote from: Magetastic on January 24, 2013, 03:35:31 PM
Quote from: SeverusSnapeLovesMe on January 24, 2013, 11:25:57 AM
Hey there. :D

I made some wings for my Fluttershy! I have a tutorial on my tumblr showing my process plus the original link to the YouTube video that I took some help from too.

http://magetastic.tumblr.com/post/32630402274/ok-so-early-this-month-a-friend-of-mine-ana

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALtpxsgRCcQ

I also made the wings again with felt (or any fabric you like) and stuffed them. They kinda flopped down but they'll look really good and full if you sew them on to your costume.

http://tmblr.co/ZtKPguabo6BR

Anyway, hope I helped. :3

Thank you! That is amazing! Complete lifesaver! 

octorok

Hi guys! I really wanna cosplay Togame this year, but I'm not sure what fabric to use. I am a semi-competent seamstress (I've made a handful of hoodies with zippers) but I've never worked with shiny fabric like silk or satin.

Togame is an imperial servant, so her duds have to look fly.

QUESTIONS:
1. Are there any nonshiny fabrics I can use that will still look good?
2. Are certain shiny fabrics easier to use than others?

Thanks so much, guys!

Nina Star 9

If you want sheen, but not too much, and want ease of sewing, I'd look at a nice mid-weight cotton sateen. It is a cotton fiber with a satin weave, so it has sheen, but isn't SHINY like poly satin can be, nor is it slippery like silk or poly can be. It will also give you a nice drape on those sleeves, and will be more screen-accurate than a shinier fabric would be.

I love cotton sateen. I use it pretty often, actually. Here are some examples. (Ignore things like unpressed costumes and messy floors in progress shots...and my face, derp...also, the black dress uses a heavier weight stretch sateen, and the gold uses a lighter weight quilting sateen, with a bonus "wrong" side of satin for the underside of the skirt, with the white applique and tie with the black dress being the "wrong" side of poly dupioni, which as a slight nubby texture)

I think that the weight, drape, and level of sheen would be appropriate. I use it where I want something with lustre and a fancier look without being shiny.

You can also use a dull satin or the "wrong" side of satin. The basic rule of thumb is the lss shiny the fabric, the less slippery it is. And really, with good pinning, and a little practice, it isn't really that difficult to sew a fabric with sheen.

Certain satins tend to fray quite easily, though, so be careful to properly finish your seams. You shouldn't have an issue with a heavier sateen, though.