The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

BSaphire

So you want to cosplay and you aren't sure who or which character? Maybe your stuck on how to sew a part of your cosplay? Your no good at props/wigs/costume so where can you buy it? How about what kind of pattern could help you create that piece? Of course there are always the "Where/What kind of makeup?" "Looking for this or that wig, where can I get it?" "Contact lenses and what do you think?"

These questions and thousands of others are always being asked. Well here is the perfect one stop shop thread for you to post those questions and where other cospeeps can offer their help to solve those many cosplaying dilemmas that go into each project we choose. Sometimes it is just choosing that stops us from cosplaying and those questions are ok too! :)

Post your questions here and include links to photos of the subject if possible.

Much love to all cospeeps!
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

BSaphire

Quote from: angeljibrille on March 13, 2007, 04:53:36 PM
Please post pointers and questions you want answered here.

General Sites
So You Want to Cosplay...
Cosplay Crimes - (and how to avoid committing them)
Cosplay.com
Studio Creation's Tips & Guides
Limit Break's Beginner Guide
The Costume Page

Prop Weapons
Anime Weapons
Avatrix's Guide To Making The Kubikiri Houcho

Armor
The Armor Archive
Armor for the Fiberglass-Phobic
Fiberglass 101 & 102
Organic Armor
Here are some links that angeljibrille had up on the previous thread "Cosplay Sewing and Construction Support Thread" There were so many pages to it that many peeps did not go looking through all the great info. Here is the link to it should you want to check it out:

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,6856.0.html

Feel free to post your questions here, or take the time to help out a fellow cospeep or two by offering some "friendly" advice on how to solve their dilemma.

Squidges
B
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Knightfire

First time cosplayer here, wanting to go as Frank West from Deadrising. I already plan on making a mega buster out of the Bumblebee Canon toy, but I'm at a loss at making the Servebot Helmet. There are plenty of pics of the finished product on the interest, but google yielded no results as far as tutorials goes. Any help would be nice.

Also what fabrics should the jacket and pants be? Or does it boil down to personal choice?

pic related

Starting work for Fanime 2011

Nina Star 9

It's hard to tell from that picture, but the jacket looks like leather to me.

The pants would be made of normal trouser material. Not denim, like jeans, but that thinner, softer fabric for dress slacks.

Knightfire

The hardest part is nailing the jacket down. I'm trying to find the right thickness of leather, and a problem that keeps coming up is the right color for the jacket, oficial art leads it to be black, but in game it's more of a brown.

Here's more pictures, posting links this time though because they are large.

http://mognetcentral.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/frank_west.jpg
http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbox360/image/article/723/723705/dead-rising-20060805103858080.jpg
http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbox360/image/article/719/719704/dead-rising-20060719004700525.jpg

I also want to make a Mega Buster and Servbot helmet for the costume. I already have the Mega buster planned out, but I don't even know where to begin on the helmet. Here's one that's pretty accurate.

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs36/f/2008/282/2/d/Cosplay_Check__Servbot_by_Rhythm_Wily.jpg
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Nina Star 9

I would lean toward black. The official artwork is black, and the second in-game image looks black. The other in-game image is probably just from the lighting.

Besides, black would look better, I think. :D

yumicchi88

Question about altering patterns.

I recently got this pattern and I want to alter the length of the shirt.
There is a line saying "cut to lengthen/shorten" on the pattern, but I just want to lengthen the end.
If I change that part of the pattern, the waist position will be lower than where actually is.
Would i still lengthen from that line in any case?
This year I will Volunteer!

Excited about Karaoke Contest!!

BSaphire

Quote from: yumicchi88 on March 05, 2010, 10:42:43 PM
Question about altering patterns.

There is a line saying "cut to lengthen/shorten" on the pattern, but I just want to lengthen the end.
If I change that part of the pattern, the waist position will be lower than where actually is.

I am assuming that your waist falls directly on that line and the corresponding sides fall correctly  on your sides down towards your hips so you just want it longer at the bottom. If all you want to do is add inches the bottom then do not use the line at the waist. If this was pants or a skirt then it would be a different story.

**NOTE** Best rule of thumb is to add more than you need by 1/2" or 1". It is always better to add to much and take a little away than to not add enough and have to start all over :)

Take a ruler and extend the pattern lines on the sides at the bottom to your desired length.
Remember to do both sides on both the back and the front pieces so that you are adding your length all the way around.

If the bottom of the pattern flares outward on both sides, be sure to follow the gradual extension (meaning the line running up and down on the sides should continue it's flow outwards from waist.

So now you have your two side lines extended on both the back and the front pieces.
To add the bottom line (which is normally curved) you will need to add the same inches to each portion of the original cutting line.

For example if you added two inches to the side line then you will go to the middle of the bottom cut line line and place your ruler on it, then add two inches to the original line. Follow the line and continue to add two inches evenly across the bottom.

Again, be sure to do your back and your front pattern pieces. Also check over everything twice before cutting so you are sure it is extended the way you want it to be. Measure twice--Cut once.

This should help you extend the length of your shirt with out loosing your waist. Now if you have a button-up type front closure, it may also require some changes, however I don't want to confuse you so if you need to know just ask.
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Dany

Quote from: yumicchi88 on March 05, 2010, 10:42:43 PMQuestion about altering patterns.

Generally, if everything else matches up to where you need it to be, and you're not adding a lot, then yes, you should be able to tweek the ends in the way you're suggesting (BSaphire did a good job of explaining :) ). If you are adding more than two inches, however, I would recommend using the cut point to do it instead.

The reason that the cut line is there is that it is the point of the pattern that alterations will make minimal impact to the garment structure and how it drapes. It also provides a straight line on which to help make the addition of length even with minimal measurement effort

Also, in some cases it is easier to add the amount you want at the cut point than at the ends. An example would be on a dress with a big hem...the time it would take to add to the end of your pattern pieces, versus at the cut point, would be significantly longer and can impact the drape of the hem of the dress. 
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Jrock_miso

i am looking for the Sentai Go-Onger: Henshin Shift Changer to complete my Hanto outfit at a decent price i only see them online for 80 + 40 dollars S&H  please help

BSaphire

Quote from: Dany on March 06, 2010, 03:28:57 PM
Quote from: yumicchi88 on March 05, 2010, 10:42:43 PMQuestion about altering patterns.

Generally, if everything else matches up to where you need it to be, and you're not adding a lot, then yes, you should be able to tweek the ends in the way you're suggesting (BSaphire did a good job of explaining :) ). If you are adding more than two inches, however, I would recommend using the cut point to do it instead.

The reason that the cut line is there is that it is the point of the pattern that alterations will make minimal impact to the garment structure and how it drapes. It also provides a straight line on which to help make the addition of length even with minimal measurement effort

Also, in some cases it is easier to add the amount you want at the cut point than at the ends. An example would be on a dress with a big hem...the time it would take to add to the end of your pattern pieces, versus at the cut point, would be significantly longer and can impact the drape of the hem of the dress. 
Thank you Dany ^^) This info will help others understand "why" that line is there before they jump in with both feet and run the risk of making a big mistake. I agree that if you are adding more than a few inches you should use that line like Dany says.
BSaphire
Founder:
AC   DC

Melly

oki so i wanna cosplay Suzuna Kuraki from Kao No Nai Tsuki/Moonlight Lady and you should all know that's a Hentai >>; and well i'm probalby gonna go in her like.. school outfit but like.. i also wanna go in her shirt XD is it bad to just run around in a shirt >_>; like an oversized mans shirt

http://media.photobucket.com/image/suzuna%20kuraki/XxSanitariumXxAsylumXx/Suzuna%20Kuraki/MoonLightLady.jpg

I WOULD NOT BE JUST NUDE UNDER IT XD but it's pretty much just a super huge shirt ;; and reminds me of Mytho from princess tutu.. http://animeshoujocereza.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/princess-tutu-vol1-4.jpg xD and i know people have cosplayed as him in that.. so it should be ok right 8D?!

Foxberry

I would suggest wearing little shorts, like white bike shorts, or a color to match your men's shirt. I don't see the issue otherwise.

Dany

Quote from: Foxberry on March 10, 2010, 05:35:34 PM
I would suggest wearing little shorts, like white bike shorts, or a color to match your men's shirt. I don't see the issue otherwise.

Look into skintone as well, it might cause a doubletake or two, but it's covering your important places.

Melly

ooh so i should wear nude colored stuff 8DD so i can just appear nakie! how fun XDD

Dany

Quote from: Melly on March 11, 2010, 11:59:56 AM
ooh so i should wear nude colored stuff 8DD so i can just appear nakie! how fun XDD

That's the idea. The important part is that all of the appropriate bits are covered. If they happened to be covered with a material that matches your skin, then a little creative posing in photos (and maybe some work in Photoshop) will get you the illusion of naked without actually BEING naked.

I know of someone several years ago that did something like this when she was doing a historical costume of one of those bare-breasted goddess statues (I forgot the name of them and where they are from). She used skintone fabric and airbrushed her breast details. From a distance, it was disturbingly convincing!

Now..I'm not sure if you want to go as far as adding details.  That may be an issue for a con where things should probably stay around PG or so. But it is another option so that you can portray the character as they actually look without compromising some modesty (and there may be other events where you COULD add the details down the road).

Nina Star 9

Also posted on Cosplay.com, but since I'm not getting any replies there, I thought I'd try here, too.

I'm planning on cosplaying Regina Berry from the Pheonix Wright series, and as you can see, her hair has quite a bit of volume on top. I was planning on doing a style closer to what himegyaru wear instead of the sausage curls (since those would look silly on me), but I was wondering how to go about this style. I don't want a bouffant where the hair looks slicked back over it (like there is some sort of support underneath), but rather lots of volumized curls on top, like the examples.

My current plan is to buy Amphigory's Alisa wig, add in a weft or two up top, and curling those to get as much volume as possible out of them, but I'm not sure how well my plan will work, since I don't know if it will get me the volume on top. Should I go with wefts that match the rest of my wig and curl those and hope that the sheer volume of curled hair will keep that style, or will that be too heavy to support itself? Or should I go with smaller wefts sewn in underneath and curled to add bulk to just the top? I don't want anything big enough to need a foamcore base or anything, just volume, but I also don't want to look like a cheesy '80s music video or anything. :<

Any advice? Should I just scrap my plans altogether and go for a totally different wig, and if so, which one should I go for?

Thank you very much. :D <3

keiko.

^ Sorry, I suck with wig-related advice, so all I can say is about achieving volume... the way hime gyaru get volume on the crown is by teasing their hair by back-combing it. However, the only way I know how to achieve that look is by pulling over the straight hair on top... ;;;
I hope someone answers you though! I came here from Cosplay.com too u__u;;

Anyways... I want to make Hazama's jacket from Blazblue, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a pattern/where to buy it! My friend made me a pattern out of newspaper, but I managed to lose some of the pieces....

Can someone point me in the direction of a good pattern, as well as what material I should be using? Thanks!

Here's a quick reference picture:
http://www.blazblue.com/wp-content/gallery/characters-full/hazama.jpg

Nina Star 9

I know how to do himegal hair on real hair, but this is wig fiber, not real hair. I don't think that the level of backcombing needed for true hime hair can be safely used on wig fiber. :/

Thanks for the advice anyway, though.