The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Kyra_Maverick

Quote from: thisismyv on March 14, 2010, 10:13:54 PM
^ Sorry, I suck with wig-related advice, so all I can say is about achieving volume... the way hime gyaru get volume on the crown is by teasing their hair by back-combing it. However, the only way I know how to achieve that look is by pulling over the straight hair on top... ;;;
I hope someone answers you though! I came here from Cosplay.com too u__u;;

Anyways... I want to make Hazama's jacket from Blazblue, but I'm having a hard time figuring out a pattern/where to buy it! My friend made me a pattern out of newspaper, but I managed to lose some of the pieces....

Can someone point me in the direction of a good pattern, as well as what material I should be using? Thanks!

Here's a quick reference picture:
http://www.blazblue.com/wp-content/gallery/characters-full/hazama.jpg
His jacket really just looks like a trench coat or duster jacket with buckles hanging off the lapels. The most common trench coat patterns you'll find will be double breasted for women. However, try looking for a Matrix costume pattern, or maybe a cowboy duster jacket pattern. I think one of those should work just fine.

Your fabric store should have books of patterns to look through next to the filing cabinets the patterns are kept in. As for fabric, maybe a heavy broadcloth? The picture doesn't look like it's supposed to be any sort of special material.

Jidai Geki

Quote from: Jrock_miso on March 08, 2010, 07:45:17 PM
i am looking for the Sentai Go-Onger: Henshin Shift Changer to complete my Hanto outfit at a decent price i only see them online for 80 + 40 dollars S&H  please help

Are you looking for an actual Japanese release henshin/shifter?  These are expensive since the show has been off the air in Japan for over 2 years.  This show was brought to the U.S. by the Walt Disney Co., and broadcast under the name Power Rangers RPM, so this cosplay toy is available here in the U.S.  Here's a link for you to check out:

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3382198&CAWELAID=297198015

Again, if it's just for looks/cosplay... this one will be a more economical choice...

Hope this helps.

Aeon Akashi

This will be my first time ever cosplaying~ !! Sadly I can't make the costumes myself, I need to buy them online. D: Living where I am its sort of understandable though...well I need some help > <;; I want to cosplay as Duke, from Tales Of Vesperia...but the thing is.

I can't find his costume anywhere..!!! D: And I just can't make it...so I'd be really glad if anyone could give me a link to someplace of "Trust", of where I could buy it. Or if it comes to it someone offers themselves to make it...though I highly doubt that would happen..his costume seems pretty tough to make.

I don't have any money on myself yet, starting of the 3rd april I'll have my very own money~ <3 But if anyone could help me I'd be pretty damn grateful. Thanks in advance to anyone who lends me a hand~ !! Long live cosplays !!

Elizabeth238

Ok I totally want to be axel but i cant find a wig does any one have any good ideas .ps. i have already looked on ebay and found none that would fit me

RikuCosplayer

~Current Cosplays~ ~%Progress~

KH2 Riku: 100% Finished!
Alois Trancy: 100% Finished!

~Cons Attended~   ~Cons Attending~

-Yaoi Con 2009          Fanime 2012
-Fanime Con 2010
-Sac Anime Con 2010
-Fanime Con 2011 

I<3 Sora & Ciel Phantomhiv

TokenBlackGuy

Deviantart Profile. http://tokenblackguy1991.deviantart.com/

My Cosplay. TBA

OH MY GAWD YOU ARE SO NEEDY!!!!!

BSaphire

Quote from: Elizabeth238 on March 21, 2010, 05:12:53 PM
Ok I totally want to be axel but i cant find a wig does any one have any good ideas .ps. i have already looked on ebay and found none that would fit me

If CosWorx doesn't have it I recommend trying WoWWigs.com A few years ago Blue ~ Youk did a wig ordering test and those are the two best companies for cost, shipped on time, order online, easy to find, several payment options, and diversity of stock. Both received 5 out of 5 stars.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Charis

Amphigory is another good non-eBay source for wigs, in my opinion.  They're slower, but they've got a bigger selection than CosWorx does.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

PrincessPolka

what exactly is the dress code for cosplaying at fanime? Is there a dress code? I am not about to streak around naked, and I know not to have my privates hanging out! But I am considering a cosplay that would essentially be a 2 piece bathing suit. Would that be too much? What would you guys recommend?

Also, sorry if this topic is already up, but I searched and only found dress codes for the black and white ball!

maikiritori

As far as I know, there's no strict dress code. Obviously no naughty bits being shown. However, since there are minors running around; I would advise an as close to skin color body suit (spanx type) to wear underneath your cosplay if you are really worried about being reported. Blue~Youk made FF8 Siren (which is esentially a bathing suit with feathers) and a nude body suit under that is not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.
I hope this helps. Good luck with your cosplay.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

michiko nakano

the higher-ups will just say something like "it's a family convention, dress likewise" but then again there are men running around in nothing but boxers.  things like this:
are not frowned upon.  but things like this: get you kicked out of con.

lunarknight

~In relation to the post above~

Well to my understanding the first picture is OK, but it is pushing the boundaries in which it does stand on a gray line whether it can be considered sanctioned or not. For as mentioned above this is an event for all ages so what people display should relatively be eye friendly.

As for the second picture it shares the same problem as the first being one that stands on a gray line. However it can prove to be slightly disturbing to younger age groups.

But if you really want answers then a moderator should be a better choice for this question.

BSaphire

Fanime is a Family Convention as michiko nakano said :) and there are many small children present. That said...

Going by the pictures posted the first one is allowed, but if you are brave enough to endure the attention it will draw just make sure you have safety precautions in play just in case there are any costume failures. A skin colored body suit is a great investment.

As for Man Fae in the second picture... well I am now scared for life! EWWWW! and someone that decided to dress the like or for those who think they can get away with a character like "Chocolate" Forget it! Rovers will be on you quick and ask you to put some appropriate clothing on. I can tell you that if I saw it I would ask you to put some appropriate clothing on.

Going back to picture one I would like to mention that if you are wearing a two piece swimsuit style cosplay make sure your strings are tied in a knot that can't be easily undone and that if a photographer asks you for a picture and you don't feel comfortable with doing a pose for them just say "No thank you." If they persist then come to the gatherings table or the nearest rover and let them know you are being harassed by a photographer (Press badged or not) and let the Fanime staff handle the situation.

Many times males loose sight of the fact that female cosplayers may dress as characters that expose a lot of skin, but that is what the artist drew and not necessarily the morals of the girl. With that said just be careful of your surroundings.

I am moving this topic into the cosplay help me thread.

Hope the info helps you.
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Setsuryou

So I'm trying to figure out how to create a mask. For the most part, I've seen several videos of how to do it using clay/psuedo-clay, but I was wondering if there was another way to go about it.

I'm not trying to make any specific mask, I'm just looking to get the general outline for one. I bought a Hollow Ichigo mask that seems to be made of clay or a material close to it. I figured I'd use that as the template for an overlay process, but if there's an easier way to go about it, I'm all ears.

I'm hoping to be able to get this done before the con, despite that I'm not going to be cosplaying this year. The mask is going to be part of a set that I may debut at Expo should I decide to go to it this year.

Thanks for your time.

LaughLikeMad

hi there! First time cosplayer here! I'm going as Toph from The Last Airbender and already bought my costume, but I really wanna get the eyes right to complete the look, but I can't find any contacts that are less that $100, does anyone know of a good contact lenses sight that isn't to bad on the bank account?

Also, since I've come to understand that shoes are required, does anyone have ideas on how to create the illusion of bare feet while still wearing something?

Fructose

As for the white contacts for Toph, you are aware that any contact that covers your pupil completely will also render you blind, right? You'll need a buddy to lead you around the con. If you're fine with that, they can be found for like 70 after some searching for phrases like "white-out contact." I thought there used to be lenses that were like the white-outs but had a pinprick pupil, so they weren't totally accurate but neither were you totally blind, but I can't seem to find any.

As for bare feet, you could try something like Dance Paws but it would end up being up to the discretion of the person calling you on it as to whether that would count as barefoot or not. I would say just get some flesh colored or appropriate-looking (like what she would wear if she DID wear shoes) flip-flops and just step out of them for pictures. Just make sure to step a few feet away so they're not just sitting right there at your feet in the picture, you know? That same goes for bags, just set them down (within your eyeline, of course) for pics but out of frame.

LaughLikeMad

Yeah, I have been looking online for contact that don't cover the pupil, and price wise, it's just not worth it. I'm not to big on getting the eye color perfect, I just know that there are mean con goers out there that will call you on the smallest thing. Hopefully I don't come across to many of those.

michiko nakano

for all the people needing bare feet!

these are dance paws, might not be safe enough: http://gabiesboutique.com/UserFiles/product/dance-paws-419x448.jpg

flesh colored ballet shoes: http://www.centerstagellc.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/271lblog.jpg

half of a ballet shoe, might not be allowed due to lack of heel: http://www.rddancewear.com/images/ballet_pirouette_lg.jpg

jazz shoes: http://www.storesonline.com/members/547048/uploaded/JazzBoot.jpg

also, jelly shoes! http://c0424311.cdn.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/melissa-jelly-shoes.jpg

just a few suggestions :3

Setsuryou

Quote from: Setsuryou on March 25, 2010, 05:06:42 PM
So I'm trying to figure out how to create a mask. For the most part, I've seen several videos of how to do it using clay/psuedo-clay, but I was wondering if there was another way to go about it.

I'm not trying to make any specific mask, I'm just looking to get the general outline for one. I bought a Hollow Ichigo mask that seems to be made of clay or a material close to it. I figured I'd use that as the template for an overlay process, but if there's an easier way to go about it, I'm all ears.

I'm hoping to be able to get this done before the con, despite that I'm not going to be cosplaying this year. The mask is going to be part of a set that I may debut at Expo should I decide to go to it this year.

Thanks for your time.

Well I decided to go about the "clay" overlay process. It took me about 2.5 hours to do, and even then, the mask overlay isn't really that smooth. (I've never really been very good at making things with clays.) I'm glad I bought extra, so now I at least know how the process works. Though I think I'm going to try a different method later this week. Hopefully things will go alright.

Mikuko

My b/f is trying to do an Ace cosplay, but needs to find a log pose.  Any ideas?  I can't find any. :(