The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

pandaluvgame

I plan on cosplaying as a member of Shinsengumi. (from Hakuouki / Peacemaker / Kaze Hikaru)
I already have a kendo gi, now all i need is a haori ( i want to make it by myself since buying the costume costs a lot)

This is my 3rd time coming to Fanimecon, but I have no experience watsoever in cosplaying nor making costumes -___-
Is there anyone cosplaying as a Shinsengumi member and want to make it themselves??! Anyone has experience in making costume?! (sewing, fabric painting...)
Maybe we can get together and have the job done faster =D

****My aunt is willing to lend me her sewing machine & teach me how to sew.

Hope to get some response soon  :D

AthenaAngie

Quote from: Aeon Akashi on April 19, 2010, 11:13:56 PM
Hmn...can't anyone help me >: ?? I know the cosplay im trying to have ain't easy x A x;; Well if anyone thinks could help me make sure to send me a PM or something D:;;;

I found this~ but ish kinda spendy D: Hope it helps though~ Clickie ---> http://www.uscos00.com/index.php?gOo=goods_search_list.dwt&gcat=610&gtype=

Asa_Gohan

Im going to be cosplaying Hazama from Blazblue, and all I have to say that I havent even gotten started yet D= But thats besides the point...

Any tips on how to get started this ball rolling?  i dont even know the exact stuff that he would be wearing or like...Or where to start period since Im new to all of this Dx

This is the character that Im going to be doing...Okay...I kind of have a vague idea on where to get started. All I know is to get the fedora, white dress pants, black undershirt, I have NO clue how to do the double belt other than wear two of them, and get the white undershirt.  My biggest problem is how to do the coat...I have no clue on where to get started with that.

This sig isnt true anymore...I have to wait for a bit...

Rebeccakh

For anyone thats doing armor or somthing and doesnt want to spend tons of money on wonderflex or wants somthing sturdier than paper mache and is feeling out of time this tutorial for making armor our of craft foam is extremely helpful its cheap and relatively fast and easy

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

and heres one for a super cheap fast and easy hoop skirt if youre looking for puff and not necisarily historical accuracy but its just right for the anime look X3

http://www.funkyhorror.com/hoopskirt.htm

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on May 01, 2010, 04:45:24 AM
Im going to be cosplaying Hazama from Blazblue, and all I have to say that I havent even gotten started yet D= But thats besides the point...

Any tips on how to get started this ball rolling?  i dont even know the exact stuff that he would be wearing or like...Or where to start period since Im new to all of this Dx

This is the character that Im going to be doing...Okay...I kind of have a vague idea on where to get started. All I know is to get the fedora, white dress pants, black undershirt, I have NO clue how to do the double belt other than wear two of them, and get the white undershirt.  My biggest problem is how to do the coat...I have no clue on where to get started with that.
if youre good with working a sewing machine i suggest finding a coat pattern at a fabric store or walmart in the fabric aisle (yes im cheap > > ;) then modifying the peices to the correct size for the costume.
or if you dont want to make the whole thing yourself find a white dress coat and modify it to make it long enough and add on the belt thingers and detailing

michiko nakano

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on May 01, 2010, 04:45:24 AM

well, it's a trench coat, so... look for a white trench coat.  If you type it into ebay you'll find some, even though they might be womens' they'll be there.

Asa_Gohan

Thing is, I've yet to see a coat that has those kind of shoulders that you would find on a tux and the right collar too...

Charis

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on May 01, 2010, 02:16:17 PM
Thing is, I've yet to see a coat that has those kind of shoulders that you would find on a tux and the right collar too...

Here's the thing with 99% of the clothes in cosplay: you aren't going to find something commercial that's just right. You're not even likely to find a pattern that's just right.  So realistically, you've got several options:

1) Find something you think is "good enough" that's commercially available and go with that.
2) Make it yourself.
3) Commission someone to make it for you.

Or some combination of the three.  In any one of those, though, your first step is going to be assemble yourself a collection of reference images and take notes and possibly sketch out things -- make yourself a list of garments with details on what each one is. I'll usually describe fabric, make myself notes on what patterns I think might work, hardware (buckles, fasteners, etc.) that I'll need, and summarise the garment in a handful of words.  This helps codify what you're looking at, how many pieces you're looking for, and so on, as well as letting you note those little things you might miss at first glance.  From just a single pixellated picture, it's hard to tell what some of those details are, but for example that double belt looks like it *is* two belts in that picture, if only based on the fact that belt loops seem to be in different places on both. 
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

kyashiidreams

I'm going as Klavier Gavin, and I have EVERYTHING but the G necklace.. Anyone know how I could either make one or buy one?

Thanks in advance!

Chosen_Entity

Anyone know where I can purchase a nicer quality Akatsuki cloak? Cosplaying as a male, but I'm still 6 ft tall, so the bigger, the better!

Also, can anyone recommend a good white face/body paint? ("Good" as in won't run when I'm sweating like a dying walrus.)

Thanks in advance!

Asa_Gohan

I actually do have some pretty detailed pictures of his coat.  I wanna do it myself if possible.  I was thinking of doing something that would combine the first two.  At the very least I want a long white coat with the blazer like shoulders and atleast similar collar.  Even though i know that asking for even three things in a commercial product is a lot...Though in all honesty...Where the hell do I start?

AngelWings

I am having wig problems. So my character is tiara from shamanic princess and she has pigtails.  so I'm considering the stub method + Katie Blairs parting technique. But if I could find a pre parted wig in orange that would half the work. Help?

Then I have to try officer Jenny. just again considering stub + foamcore I just don't really want to break the bank with that and this one so I was wondering if there were other options for this wig. I really like the color of cosworx's teal, and was wondering if another wig came in a comparable color too. I was thinking maybe uber teasing and then getting the spikes off of that using the wig hair itself and maybe sewing in a few wefts to make up some of the volume and length for the spikes.

And last a good quality wig with enough volume plus curl to get this
I've found some options, but I was considering for this one to just get a straight wig and curl it myself. using the rollers technique.
but I also found this  http://amphigory.com/wigs_diana3.html and it looks pretty good.

Starherd

Quote from: Asa_Gohan on May 02, 2010, 01:41:28 AM
I actually do have some pretty detailed pictures of his coat.  I wanna do it myself if possible.  I was thinking of doing something that would combine the first two.  At the very least I want a long white coat with the blazer like shoulders and atleast similar collar.  Even though i know that asking for even three things in a commercial product is a lot...Though in all honesty...Where the hell do I start?

A trench coat is, at its most basic, a bunch of rectangles - but it doesn't sound like you're ready to start pattern-making from scratch just yet.  To get started, I recommend getting a basic coat pattern (in a fabric store or Wal-Mart's craft section).  Here's some examples close to what you want:

http://www.simplicity.com/p-3069-mens-costumes.aspx
(Good length; you'd have to leave off the duster-flap over the shoulders)

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2198-costumes.aspx
(I can't see the collar on the coat in this, but it looks like there isn't one, which would be easier for modification)

(If you're lucky, JoAnne Fabrics and Hancock Fabrics both have sales sometimes with patterns for $1 or $3 instead of full price.)
Also at the fabric store, you can buy shoulder pads to sew into the shoulders of your coat.  You'll need these to keep the shoulders from just sagging instead of being pointy like in the picture.

The hard part is learning to see how the pattern pieces are going to go together to complete the garment - how the edges fit together and what changes to the pattern will do to the finished product.  There's not really a way to learn this other than practice and experimentation.
You're going to want to get a medium to heavy weight fabric for the coat and vest - the coat will need it so as to look like a coat.  ^_^;  I use a lot of cotton twill myself, but there's slightly lighter synthetic things (polyester) that might work for this outfit too.  Go to a fabric store and see what you like the feel and weight and drape of.

For learning to adjust the pattern, you'll need something light (and very cheap) like unbleached muslin to start sewing with.  Once you study the pattern pieces and have an idea of how they fit together, trace them onto other paper (like butcher paper, which you can get by the roll) and try drawing the adjustments you think you'll need.

For the coat:
The shoulders of the front and back pieces will probably need to be made wider at the outside/armhole side, but the sleeve pattern piece mightn't need to be changed at all.  You'll probably have to make up the collar from scratch - use the collar pattern piece that comes with the bought pattern as a base, and make it as long and wide as you think you need.  Straps are easy - just rectangles - and can be sewn on with buttons (can just sew the button on top if you don't have time/ability to do button holes) or gold snaps (easier).

For the vest:
Even without a pattern to start from, this will be much easier once you've done the coat.  Just take in the shoulders and sides from the pattern pieces until you have a front and back piece that fit your body well, as opposed to being loose.  The front two pieces will need to overlap for closure.

Once you have cheap-material "blanks" made that fit the way you want them to, take them apart and use them as the pattern pieces to cut the real fabric from, and sew from there.

...But anyway... I wouldn't call this a beginning sewing/patterning project myself.  I learned sewing starting with pillowcases and tote bags.  XD  I'm afraid remote text help isn't awfully good, but I can try.  ...If you wanted/get desperate, I'd make the vest and coat for $60 and can hand-deliver at the con, but I'd need to know by May 15.  (I'll be in CA without my sewing machine as of the 24th, otherwise I could give more time there.  ^_^; )

Oh, and, for the two belts - you'll want to attach them to each other so that they stay centered relative to each other.  Making "loops" for them out of ribbon or spare material will help, and you can even sew the "loops" to the pants to help keep everything looking right during wear.

Home this helps at least a bit...
-Starherd
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

Starherd

Quote from: Chosen_Entity on May 02, 2010, 12:13:22 AM
Anyone know where I can purchase a nicer quality Akatsuki cloak? Cosplaying as a male, but I'm still 6 ft tall, so the bigger, the better!

Also, can anyone recommend a good white face/body paint? ("Good" as in won't run when I'm sweating like a dying walrus.)

Thanks in advance!

PM me - I can make an Akatsuki cloak.  :-)

As for face/body paint: I used to work in a costume shop, and learned a bit about theatrical makeup there.  The trick is, it's not the makeup so much as the procedure.

You'll want to start with clean dry skin and first apply makeup powder - this is important, because it helps to absorb the oils and sweat during wear.  Then you apply your makeup, and then use setting powder (usually different from the base powder - clear, basically) and spray barrier spray over that to set the makeup and keep it from smudging easily.

You'll may still need to reapply/touch-up for all-day wear, but I've gone most of a day (from lunchtime through like 2am) with this method without having to at Dracon*Con (in Atlanta in August), Bay Con (in San Jose in May) and San Diego ComicCon (also quite warm), without showing skin tone through my light blue makeup.  It just depends on your skin type and the amount of air conditioning available.

I highly recommend Ben Nye products for all this - it's an excellent theatrical makeup company - but when I did it, I used Ben Nye powders and cheap Halloween makeup (because it had the color I needed).  And it worked great.

For your base powder, use (Ben Nye) Super White Face Powder:
http://www.mrfuns.com/super-white-face-powder-p-3759.html
(this color will help your makeup stay looking white so you don't show through)

For your makeup: Ben Nye's cream makeups will likely produce the best result, but I got away with using cheaper, Halloween-packaged Mehron brand in a tube.  Either way, dabbing on cream makeup with a foam sponge will be the way to go.  Graftobian, Cinema Secrets, and Kryolan are good brands too, and so far as I know, all of them produce similar products to these.  I included the links so you can see what I'm talking about.

For your setting powder:
http://www.mrfuns.com/neutral-set-powder-p-3758.html

and for your barrier spray:
http://www.mrfuns.com/final-seal-p-3815.html

If you're in the Bay area, I can highly recommend Debbie Lyn's Costumes for makeup purchasing.  That's where I used to work.  :-)
http://www.dlcostumes.com/makeup.htm

-Starherd

Starherd

Quote from: Rebeccakh on May 01, 2010, 01:23:54 PM
For anyone thats doing armor or somthing and doesnt want to spend tons of money on wonderflex or wants somthing sturdier than paper mache and is feeling out of time this tutorial for making armor our of craft foam is extremely helpful its cheap and relatively fast and easy

http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

I can vouch for the awesomeness of this method.  I've made Sephiroth's shoulder armor, Vincent's claw, and Loz's Dual Hound weapon this way (all FF7 Advent Children).  Before Dual Hound and Vincent's claw (made simultaneiously), I'd never used the method before in my life.  It really is that easy!

...Though a heat gun from the scrapbooking section (it's used for embossing) of your local craft store will work a lot *better* than trying to shape craft foam over a hot stove, in my experience.  Be prepared to maybe burn your fingers.  ^_^;  Oh the things we do for our art...

-Starherd

Starherd

Quote from: pandaluvgame on April 24, 2010, 07:01:36 PM
I plan on cosplaying as a member of Shinsengumi. (from Hakuouki / Peacemaker / Kaze Hikaru)
I already have a kendo gi, now all i need is a haori ( i want to make it by myself since buying the costume costs a lot)

This is my 3rd time coming to Fanimecon, but I have no experience watsoever in cosplaying nor making costumes -___-
Is there anyone cosplaying as a Shinsengumi member and want to make it themselves??! Anyone has experience in making costume?! (sewing, fabric painting...)
Maybe we can get together and have the job done faster =D

****My aunt is willing to lend me her sewing machine & teach me how to sew.

I'd offer to visit and help, but I'm in Colorado... where are you?  ^_^;

Luckily, a haori is pretty simple in design, and fabric painting is pretty easy too (just make sure to follow the instructions).  The only difficulty I've ever had in making a kimono or haori has been with getting the collar to attach properly, and that just takes practice.  If you need a pattern, at costuming.org there's a pattern/picture that might help:
http://www.costuming.org/kimonopattern.jpg
(it's for a kimono, but with the below information can be of great help)
and there's some really good information here:
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13082

Googling "haori pattern" under google images comes up with a lot of helpful graphics.  :-)
-Starherd

Starherd

Quote from: kyashiidreams on May 01, 2010, 08:35:23 PM
I'm going as Klavier Gavin, and I have EVERYTHING but the G necklace.. Anyone know how I could either make one or buy one?

Thanks in advance!

There's a link to how to make armor using craft foam in the comments of this page - that same method might help you - you might have to pin it to your clothing, however, since it would be very light if made from craft foam.  Polymer clay might work too, and would have a better weight (to appear more realistic as a necklace).  Another option (in-between for weight) would be resin.  Did you have any idea of what kind of materials/weight you'd be interested in?

(...If you'd rather just commission one, PM me  ^_^; )
-Starherd

lycan510

This is my sister.

She needs a costume for Fanime. Anyone got any ideas for characters she could cosplay? Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE HELP.
Locked and Loaded, voices scream "Let's go!" "Come on!" "Do it!" "Here we go!"

Asa_Gohan

Starherd