The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Armored-Heart

Quote from: Starherd on May 11, 2010, 02:21:15 PM
Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 11, 2010, 11:11:44 AM
... I had ordered one but it looks like a total mess and just will not do. D: I have no experience with styling wigs myself and also have little to no time on my hands, so it'd be easier to buy one. Though I also need to be able to afford it. xD;

I don't know where you could get one that would look like that, but if you ordered one and it has the right length even if the style's a wreck, it can probably be salvaged.  Doesn't take that long either, just a little patience.  Do you have a picture of what you have?

(Where are you?  I'll be in the Bay Area from the 24th on and might be able to help, if you really need.)

-Starherd

Yup, here's a photo: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/KK-the-Fox/Snapshot_20100511.jpg It's also a bit sticky and has an... odd smell to it. o_o;

I live in Pleasanton, which is in the Bay Area about a half hour drive from San Jose. :B
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

pandaluvgame

Quote from: Starherd on May 02, 2010, 06:20:08 PM
Quote from: pandaluvgame on April 24, 2010, 07:01:36 PM
I plan on cosplaying as a member of Shinsengumi. (from Hakuouki / Peacemaker / Kaze Hikaru)
I already have a kendo gi, now all i need is a haori ( i want to make it by myself since buying the costume costs a lot)

This is my 3rd time coming to Fanimecon, but I have no experience watsoever in cosplaying nor making costumes -___-
Is there anyone cosplaying as a Shinsengumi member and want to make it themselves??! Anyone has experience in making costume?! (sewing, fabric painting...)
Maybe we can get together and have the job done faster =D

****My aunt is willing to lend me her sewing machine & teach me how to sew.

I'd offer to visit and help, but I'm in Colorado... where are you?  ^_^;

Luckily, a haori is pretty simple in design, and fabric painting is pretty easy too (just make sure to follow the instructions).  The only difficulty I've ever had in making a kimono or haori has been with getting the collar to attach properly, and that just takes practice.  If you need a pattern, at costuming.org there's a pattern/picture that might help:
http://www.costuming.org/kimonopattern.jpg
(it's for a kimono, but with the below information can be of great help)
and there's some really good information here:
http://www.immortalgeisha.com/ig_bb/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=13082

Googling "haori pattern" under google images comes up with a lot of helpful graphics.  :-)
-Starherd

Wow...Thank you for all the information! I also did some research and realized that it'd take lots of effort to make costumes on my own. I still want to give it a try though. ^__^
So u live in Colorado?? Will you go to the con?? I live right here in San Jose. LUCKY me =)))

AngelWings

Quote from: Starherd on May 11, 2010, 12:26:05 AM
Quote from: AngelWings on May 10, 2010, 11:38:12 PM
Hey I was wondering if anyone knew how well this wig and the ponytail extensions took dye? I'm a little concerned, because of the styling on the extensions. Unfortunately it doesn't come in orange sooo? Suggestions please.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-CURLY-CREME-BRULEE-PALE-BLONDE-PONYTAILS-cosplay-wig-/400119073270?cmd=ViewItem&pt=US_CSA_MWA_Wigs_Extensions&hash=item5d28f489f6
if the above doesn't show try cosplaywigs.com 2 CURLY CREME BRULEE PALE BLONDE PONYTAILS

Most wigs don't take RIT dye well (I've had luck, but it depends entirely on what the wig's made of and the brightness of the color you want, so it really was just luck), and human hair dye isn't so good either - both are made for organic things (i.e. real hair or cotton fabric), not synthetic.  So, brilliant people came up with this:

Dying wigs using sharpie marker ink.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947

I haven't had this go wrong yet.  Works on more than wigs, too... so wear latex gloves and cover your work area to keep it safe.  ^_^

-Starherd

Thanks for the info. Mainly I was concerned because I'd heard that pre-styled wigs might not take any sort of coloring well

bsan89

Hey guys I'm about 80% done with my updated costume
for Killzone. Here's the guy I'm cosplaying. I need help on the goggle.

Hellghast Grenadier

I got the idea from this:
http://the-mirror-melts.deviantart.com/art/Splinter-Cell-night-goggles-127109858

Here's what I have:
1.) Home Depo "SAFETY GOGGLE"
2.) (I forgot the exact measurement) 1/2 PVC tube.
3.) x4 red 5mm light
4.) double AA battery.

What I need:
-I need a [COLOR="Red"]"RED" [/COLOR] plastic soda bottle.
I have no idea where I can find one. Red soda bottle are usually clear bottle
fill with red soda.

What I done:
-First I hot glue all x4 pvc tube to the safety goggle.
-spray paint the entire model black
-cut holes behind glue pvc tube.
-put in 5mm light
-tape double a battery to side of safety goggle.

It look great so far, I just need to cover the front of the tube like in the pix.
She said she use plastic bottle and cut circle out of it.
The problem is I CANT FIND ANY RED PLASTIC Bottle to cut.
I found green and it look great if I were cosplaying Splinter Cell.

Starherd

Quote from: bsan89 on May 11, 2010, 06:59:50 PM
What I need:
It look great so far, I just need to cover the front of the tube like in the pix.

If you can't find anything else, at craft stores like Michael's you can get red cellophane (comes in a roll like gift wrap).  It's thin and you'd have to layer it with some soda bottle or blister package plastic for stability, but it's transparent red.
(If you can't find any, I may have a roll about and could send you some - let me know.  I'll see if I can find the roll.  It might have been thrown away last move... *frets*)

(Geeze, I keep answering questions... can't tell what I love doing with my life, can ya  XD )

-Starherd
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

Starherd

Quote from: AngelWings on May 11, 2010, 05:46:44 PM
Quote from: Starherd on May 11, 2010, 12:26:05 AM
Most wigs don't take RIT dye well (I've had luck, but it depends entirely on what the wig's made of and the brightness of the color you want, so it really was just luck), and human hair dye isn't so good either - both are made for organic things (i.e. real hair or cotton fabric), not synthetic.  So, brilliant people came up with this:

Dying wigs using sharpie marker ink.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=82947

I haven't had this go wrong yet.  Works on more than wigs, too... so wear latex gloves and cover your work area to keep it safe.  ^_^

-Starherd

Thanks for the info. Mainly I was concerned because I'd heard that pre-styled wigs might not take any sort of coloring well

I'd think that would depend on what was used to style it - sprays and things might interfere with the dye taking.  The pictures you showed didn't look like something a lot of glue/hairspray was used on, though, at least not to me.  Good luck!

-Starherd

Starherd

Quote from: pandaluvgame on May 11, 2010, 05:42:57 PM
Wow...Thank you for all the information! I also did some research and realized that it'd take lots of effort to make costumes on my own. I still want to give it a try though. ^__^
So u live in Colorado?? Will you go to the con?? I live right here in San Jose. LUCKY me =)))

I wish you luck!  It's a lot of work but it's a good skill to learn, too.  ^_^

I used to live in Santa Clara until a few years ago.  I'm lucky enough to get to go back this year for Fanime - will be in the Artist Alley selling, for a lot of the time, but hopefully that just means that the trip will pay for itself.  XD

-Starherd

Chosen_Entity

Hey guys! Thanks for all your help so far, but I have (yet another) question. :3

I'm looking into buying a compression shirt, but I'm not sure which size to buy! The sizes go by bust size (cm), but do I measure with the girls as they are, or squash them and measure as how flat I'd like to be?

I was going to try binding, but my chest is to big to make it possible without forfeiting my ability to breathe.

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: Chosen_Entity on May 11, 2010, 08:32:45 PM
Hey guys! Thanks for all your help so far, but I have (yet another) question. :3

I'm looking into buying a compression shirt, but I'm not sure which size to buy! The sizes go by bust size (cm), but do I measure with the girls as they are, or squash them and measure as how flat I'd like to be?

I was going to try binding, but my chest is to big to make it possible without forfeiting my ability to breathe.

It sometimes depend on where you purchase them or what company that makes them.
But most likely DEFINITELY DO NOT SQUISH YOUR BOOBS.
You want to take your band measurement and add 1 for each letter of your cup size.
Ex. If you were 34B, B would equal 2 and go with the number 34 when ordering the shirt.
Sometimes ordering and chart sizes are different on some sites, but this would be the basic.
Just make sure to use your normal measurements.

Starherd

Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 11, 2010, 05:16:20 PM
Yup, here's a photo: http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l33/KK-the-Fox/Snapshot_20100511.jpg It's also a bit sticky and has an... odd smell to it. o_o;

I live in Pleasanton, which is in the Bay Area about a half hour drive from San Jose. :B

Hmm... That looks like a really good base, but like it's not been styled much at all.  If it's sticky and smells odd, might be due to hairspray.  I'd recommend giving it a wash (shampoo, lukewarm water in a sink, and then hang it up to dry.  I've had success hanging wigs in the shower to drip-dry, from shower heads and such.

Then to style it, I recommend plain old Elmer's glue for spiking it as in the picture.  Usually what I do is pin the wig to a styrofoam wig head, suspend the wig head upside down (usually in the shower again, by stringing wire around the curtain rod, the shower head, and the neck of the wig head), and use the Elmer's glue to style it.  (I wear latex gloves, but you don't have to.  Elmer's glue washes off easy, and should you want to restyle the wig, soapy water will take the glue out later.)  Hanging it upside-down helps the gravity-defying styles stay in place while they dry.  Getting a bit of glue down near the roots of the wig helps spikes hold up.

...I'll be in San Mateo myself, but I don't know what my transportation situation from there is going to be like.  But maybe we can make it work if you decide that in-person help is in order.  ^_^

-Starherd

LOVE.SAE

What I need:
-I need a RED plastic soda bottle.
fill with red soda.

Moutain Dew Code Red~ Not sure if they still sell it, it was limited.

Nina Star 9

I need to figure out how to make a prop gun. Well, not just any prop gun -- Ulala's gun from Space Channel 5.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6105/ulalaoi7.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/8Billie8Joe8Luver121/ulala.jpg

(It's really hard to find good pictures of her gun!)

Basically, I need to find something to make the main part, which is an odd, rounded oblong shape. (The rest is going to be made out of foam and/or wooden beads, whatever I can find at the craft store.) What should I use?

Also, I need to make a holster. Her gun, thanks to the wonders of Dreamcast graphics, seems to just float on the strap going around her leg. For the strap, I was thinking about making almost like a garter (elastic covered in fabric), but I'm not sure how to attach the gun to it. Any suggestions?

Also, I have an aesthetic question about my wig. I'm not doing the highly shaped pigtails that she has because they would look silly on me.
I was thinking about doing slightly longer and curly pigtails to get the volume that is accurate while still having a cute wig.
I would love a shorter version of these pigtails:
http://i44.tinypic.com/309sxz5.jpg
Bt these pigtails are also really cute:
http://i39.tinypic.com/mcx3iv.jpg
Would that be too unaccurate to the original character? I'm just thinking that I want a wig that I can use for things other than cosplay down the road, and instead of wefting the hair I cut off and making another set of pigtails now, I'd rather have a happy meduim kind of style. Good idea or bad idea?

Armored-Heart

Quote from: Starherd on May 11, 2010, 08:51:47 PM
Quote from: Armored-Heart on May 11, 2010, 05:16:20 PM

Hmm... That looks like a really good base, but like it's not been styled much at all.  If it's sticky and smells odd, might be due to hairspray.  I'd recommend giving it a wash (shampoo, lukewarm water in a sink, and then hang it up to dry.  I've had success hanging wigs in the shower to drip-dry, from shower heads and such.

Then to style it, I recommend plain old Elmer's glue for spiking it as in the picture.  Usually what I do is pin the wig to a styrofoam wig head, suspend the wig head upside down (usually in the shower again, by stringing wire around the curtain rod, the shower head, and the neck of the wig head), and use the Elmer's glue to style it.  (I wear latex gloves, but you don't have to.  Elmer's glue washes off easy, and should you want to restyle the wig, soapy water will take the glue out later.)  Hanging it upside-down helps the gravity-defying styles stay in place while they dry.  Getting a bit of glue down near the roots of the wig helps spikes hold up.

...I'll be in San Mateo myself, but I don't know what my transportation situation from there is going to be like.  But maybe we can make it work if you decide that in-person help is in order.  ^_^

-Starherd

Sounds pretty good, thanks! <3 I'll wash it first and then see what I can do.
Not attending for 2014. Sorry!

bsan89

Quote from: LOVE.SAE on May 11, 2010, 08:54:19 PM
What I need:
-I need a RED plastic soda bottle.
fill with red soda.

Moutain Dew Code Red~ Not sure if they still sell it, it was limited.

I remember those being a clear plastic bottle with the drink dye red.

LOVE.SAE

Quote from: bsan89 on May 11, 2010, 09:41:27 PM
I remember those being a clear plastic bottle with the drink dye red.

Ahhh sorry D:
I can only think of red glass bottles.
I think the red cellophane is a good idea though = w =

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on May 11, 2010, 09:12:16 PM
I need to figure out how to make a prop gun. Well, not just any prop gun -- Ulala's gun from Space Channel 5.

http://img114.imageshack.us/img114/6105/ulalaoi7.jpg
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b127/8Billie8Joe8Luver121/ulala.jpg

(It's really hard to find good pictures of her gun!)

Basically, I need to find something to make the main part, which is an odd, rounded oblong shape. (The rest is going to be made out of foam and/or wooden beads, whatever I can find at the craft store.) What should I use?

Also, I need to make a holster. Her gun, thanks to the wonders of Dreamcast graphics, seems to just float on the strap going around her leg. For the strap, I was thinking about making almost like a garter (elastic covered in fabric), but I'm not sure how to attach the gun to it. Any suggestions?

Also, I have an aesthetic question about my wig. I'm not doing the highly shaped pigtails that she has because they would look silly on me.
I was thinking about doing slightly longer and curly pigtails to get the volume that is accurate while still having a cute wig.
I would love a shorter version of these pigtails:
http://i44.tinypic.com/309sxz5.jpg
Bt these pigtails are also really cute:
http://i39.tinypic.com/mcx3iv.jpg
Would that be too unaccurate to the original character? I'm just thinking that I want a wig that I can use for things other than cosplay down the road, and instead of wefting the hair I cut off and making another set of pigtails now, I'd rather have a happy meduim kind of style. Good idea or bad idea?

I'd probably use Styrofoam as well since it would be easy to sand it like that shape, but if it were me, I would put plaster (the type that comes in powder and you mix with some water) over the foam, then smooth the plaster with sandpaper then paint to your desired color, or spray. The plaster is fun to work with over props , but powdered types would need to be worked with fast because they dry fast in cups. :X

I don't think I can help you with the holster, sorry ; 3 ;

The wigs would be cute, but I think the curls would make it a bit too inaccurate. Maybe a more subtle curl if you would really want curls. I think as long as you have pink pigtails it won't be too inaccurate, they don't have to be so high up either. Have you tried wigs with clipped on pigtails/ponytails? My friend has a white Neru wig with two long detachable pigtails and they're really handy. Without the pigtails, it's just a nice short white wig. :3

Nina Star 9

I was thinking styrofoam, but I wasn't sure if they made the shapes that I would need, and there's no way that I'd be able to carve that. XD Thanks~ I think I'll just see what they have at the craft store.

I have clip-on ponytails, but I can't easily get new ones in the same colour as my wig so I can change out the style. :/ That's my problem I was going to weft the hair I cut off and then make new ones, but that seems like a lot of work, so I thought that I'd try to get something that could be somewhere in between. Thanks for your opionion, though. I'm still on the fence about it.

LOVE.SAE

Good luck dear~
Also, I guess it will depend what kind of styrofoam you use. I was thinking of the typical holey ones that are crispy, the ones that usually come in sphere shapes. My friend and I had to make nose shapes out of them for our crafts class, it was really frustrated at first, but then we tried sanding the edges and it worked really well. I really do recommend plaster to go over the styrofoam though! Like a thin layer, and it will really fill in sports and make it smooth. I can tell you the plaster brand I like to use and stuff too ;D It's so nice to use to smooth things and it sands very smoothly! It's just an eggish shape you're trying to make, right? :3

Awww Is the hair you cut off just plain straight hair?

Starherd

Quote from: Starherd on May 11, 2010, 08:13:55 PM
What I need:

If you can't find anything else, at craft stores like Michael's you can get red cellophane...
(If you can't find any, I may have a roll about and could send you some - let me know.  I'll see if I can find the roll...)

Update: Found the red cellophane!  PM me with your address if you'd like me to send some for you - I can definitely spare a stamp, and it'll save you a couple bucks.  I'm sure not doing anything immediate with it.  ^_^

-Starherd

Kyra_Maverick

Hellghast Grenadier

http://the-mirror-melts.deviantart.com/art/Splinter-Cell-night-goggles-127109858

Here's what I have:
3.) x4 red 5mm light
4.) double AA battery.

What I need:
-I need a "RED" plastic soda bottle.
fill with red soda.

What I done:
-put in 5mm light

Head over to the kids project section of a craft store. You'll want to buy some plastic 'googley' eyes in the size you need. Then, look for a stained glass painting kit. The paint in those kits dries semi-transparent so you can still kinda see out of them.

Cut the backing off the 'googley' eyes and pull out the eye part. Paint the the plastic dome until it is evenly and sufficiently red.

bsan89

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 12, 2010, 05:07:32 PM

Hellghast Grenadier

Here's what I have:
3.) x4 red 5mm light
4.) double AA battery.

What I need:
-I need a "RED" plastic soda bottle.
fill with red soda.

What I done:
-put in 5mm light

Head over to the kids project section of a craft store. You'll want to buy some plastic 'googley' eyes in the size you need. Then, look for a stained glass painting kit. The paint in those kits dries semi-transparent so you can still kinda see out of them.

Cut the backing off the 'googley' eyes and pull out the eye part. Paint the the plastic dome until it is evenly and sufficiently red.

Haha you know what? I think I'll try that too!
MUCH THANKS!