The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on May 12, 2010, 05:07:32 PM
Quote from: bsan89 on May 11, 2010, 06:59:50 PM
Hey guys I'm about 80% done with my updated costume
for Killzone. Here's the guy I'm cosplaying. I need help on the goggle.

Hellghast Grenadier

I got the idea from this:
http://the-mirror-melts.deviantart.com/art/Splinter-Cell-night-goggles-127109858

Here's what I have:
1.) Home Depo "SAFETY GOGGLE"
2.) (I forgot the exact measurement) 1/2 PVC tube.
3.) x4 red 5mm light
4.) double AA battery.

What I need:
-I need a "RED" plastic soda bottle.
I have no idea where I can find one. Red soda bottle are usually clear bottle
fill with red soda.

What I done:
-First I hot glue all x4 pvc tube to the safety goggle.
-spray paint the entire model black
-cut holes behind glue pvc tube.
-put in 5mm light
-tape double a battery to side of safety goggle.

It look great so far, I just need to cover the front of the tube like in the pix.
She said she use plastic bottle and cut circle out of it.
The problem is I CANT FIND ANY RED PLASTIC Bottle to cut.
I found green and it look great if I were cosplaying Splinter Cell.
Head over to the kids project section of a craft store. You'll want to buy some plastic 'googley' eyes in the size you need. Then, look for a stained glass painting kit. The paint in those kits dries semi-transparent so you can still kinda see out of them.

Cut the backing off the 'googley' eyes and pull out the eye part. Paint the the plastic dome until it is evenly and sufficiently red.
guaah that sounds perfect for my taokaka mask i was just going to use red plastic stuff but thatll make it look a lot better ty ty > w <

Kyra_Maverick

You're all welcome! This is the same thing I did for my Mokona mascot costume a few years ago and it worked out great.

thistledown

So, I am trying to cosplay as the Airship Pilot in the print of that name by Hakubaikou.  I've been practicing with test coats and hats for a while now, and am ready to make the final version, but I still can not decide to make it of velvet or leather.  I've heard recomendations for both, so I thought I'd get some more.

Here is the deviant art page with the print on it.
http://hakubaikou.deviantart.com/art/airship-pilot-7118476

Nina Star 9

Quote from: LOVE.SAE on May 11, 2010, 11:11:34 PM
Good luck dear~
Also, I guess it will depend what kind of styrofoam you use. I was thinking of the typical holey ones that are crispy, the ones that usually come in sphere shapes. My friend and I had to make nose shapes out of them for our crafts class, it was really frustrated at first, but then we tried sanding the edges and it worked really well. I really do recommend plaster to go over the styrofoam though! Like a thin layer, and it will really fill in sports and make it smooth. I can tell you the plaster brand I like to use and stuff too ;D It's so nice to use to smooth things and it sands very smoothly! It's just an eggish shape you're trying to make, right? :3

Awww Is the hair you cut off just plain straight hair?
That's the kind I'm thinking of, too, but I think that they also make some that is more solid? I'm not sure, I'll have to take a look at the craft store next time I'm there.

I haven't cut off the hair yet, but when/if I do, it will be plain straight hair, yes.

I actually came up with another idea for it, but I don't know how well it will work:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=207986

auroramarija

Hey I was just curious as to whether anyone has ever made or even just has an idea of how to make Orihime from Bleach's shoes from when she is in Las Noches.
I can't even find a legit picture of her entire outfit so I would know what parts of the shoes are black and which parts are white!!!  So I'm completely lost and I am going insane.
I'm having issues making the top that has the cape hanging from it too(not the dress piece or the hakama those are done) but I'm dealing with the top. My main issue now is the shoes for sure.
Any help would be soooooo appreciated!!
Fanime 2011 cosplays: Jihl Nabaat (FFXIII); Thief (Assassins Creed Brotherhood)

ayame_nguyen

Quote from: auroramarija on May 16, 2010, 09:57:37 AM
Hey I was just curious as to whether anyone has ever made or even just has an idea of how to make Orihime from Bleach's shoes from when she is in Las Noches.
I can't even find a legit picture of her entire outfit so I would know what parts of the shoes are black and which parts are white!!!  So I'm completely lost and I am going insane.
I'm having issues making the top that has the cape hanging from it too(not the dress piece or the hakama those are done) but I'm dealing with the top. My main issue now is the shoes for sure.
Any help would be soooooo appreciated!!
i hope this helps :)
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r86/narusaku4eva7777/Inoue_Orihime_by_messa.jpg

MyMidnightAffair

Hello!
I'm currently & DESPERATELY looking for a costume store near Gilroy, San Jose, or Morgan Hill.
Why?
I need a pink wig for my Izuna cosplay... (preferably a short cut pink bob)

Please & thank you for your patience & help!
>__________<

forever adel

I believe this is in the proper forum but if not just tell me.

Now, I am going to be cosplaying Lightning this year but her wig is throwing me off..what should I do to fix it and make it look more like her?

I have already trimmed the bangs some..and styled it from this picture but I still think the bangs need something..help?

http://i415.photobucket.com/albums/pp235/danceraddi/1.jpg

You can find more cosplay photos and updates through my links!!
www.facebook.com/adelcosplay
www.foreveradel.deviantart.com

forever adel

And I am not sure if it's heat resistant it did say it was high quality japanese heat fiber..?

AuroraDreamer

I personally think the bangs look alright. Maybe it seem odd, because you have your hair over your shoulder that is one the same side of your bangs. I noticed in pictures of Lightning, she has it on the other side. Maybe try that and see it looks better?

SilentJ

For one, her bangs sway towards the right side. Another thing that might help would be to straighten the bangs.
Also, Lightning's curls aren't that extreme, so perhaps try to lessen them? Just a little though.

This image helps explain what I mean.
http://www.ff-xiii.net/images/screens/119lightning.jpg

'Hope that was helpful.

Devi 1313

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on May 16, 2010, 09:26:17 PM
Hello!
I'm currently & DESPERATELY looking for a costume store near Gilroy, San Jose, or Morgan Hill.
Why?
I need a pink wig for my Izuna cosplay... (preferably a short cut pink bob)

Please & thank you for your patience & help!
>__________<

Check out Victoria's Dance & Costume on San Carlos and Natasha's Attic on Bascom, both in San Jose. There's the costume trunk in Gilroy, but their hours are kind of iffy.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Eda Clawthorne Season 1 & 2
Reagan Ridley

https://www.facebook.com/Devi1313

Devi 1313

Oh, while I'm here, can someone help me find a suitable substitute for styrofoam to use for head bolts? The styrofoam was easy to shape, but to try and smooth and prep for spray painting was impossible. I'm looking for like a lightweight wood cylinder or a small paper box I could modify into a bolt shape. I'd really prefer them to be as smooth as possible.

Here's the character I'm doing:
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

forever adel

Thank you! One question though, can I straighten wig hair and not burn it?

@Nana: I used a really useful primer that was liquid and I painted on (it's safe for styrofoam and doesn't break it down.) it's called Delta Ceramcoat "All Purpose Sealer" it's the Prep one and it's clear and in a white bottle.

I got it at my local Joanne's Fabric store, you could probably also get it at Michaels or some place similiar!! I would also recommend using acrylic based paint (folk art works really well) and it spreads easy and it won't melt your styrofoam! Hope this helps!

forever adel

Quote from: Nana on May 21, 2010, 09:40:34 PM
Oh, while I'm here, can someone help me find a suitable substitute for styrofoam to use for head bolts? The styrofoam was easy to shape, but to try and smooth and prep for spray painting was impossible. I'm looking for like a lightweight wood cylinder or a small paper box I could modify into a bolt shape. I'd really prefer them to be as smooth as possible.

also! If you use model magic over the edges and the bolts, it'll give it the smooth look you are searching for! :D

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Nana on May 21, 2010, 09:40:34 PM

or you could layer mod podge (i used the one with the yellow lable to give my big zipper pull a shiny plastic look and they sell it in any craft store or even wal mart next to the crafts and paints and glues)
its like glue stuff but it dries clear and is sturdy and easily paintable and theres instructions for sanding it down on the back of the bottle to make it smooth and make the paint stick

Nina Star 9

I do not recommend Modge Podge for sealing styrofoam.

I used some yesterday to seal a prop gun, and either I didn't seal it well enough or the Modge Podge didn't work, but the paint I used on top of it ended up dissolving the styrofoam, even in places that should have been well-covered in Modge Podge.

I'd find a different sealant or a different material if I were you.

Rebeccakh

x . x ive only used it ontop of wonderflex plastic layered extremely thick so im sorry for bad info T . T but it might work if you end up using wood or somthing  .  u  .

Devi 1313

I'm just tired of using styrofoam. Trying to get it smooth is like trying to fill in the nooks and crannies of an english muffin. Does anyone know of any sort of paper or wood alternative? I've considered chopping up round boxes.
Fanime 2023:
Wario
Reagan Ridley

michiko nakano

your own spit will dissolve your own blood on material.  works best if the blood is wet.

i've poked myself with needles and scissors while sewing light colored costumes, and getting blood on costumes and clothes sucks.