The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Starherd

Quote from: maikiritori on June 24, 2010, 10:37:14 AM
@ Starherd
Yep it is a modified Org XIII cloak. Riku's outer vest covers most of the details, but the chest seamlines for the Org cloak are there. It looks like he took the hood off along with the sleeves, which is why in my last post I said you could leave the hood off if you wanted too. As for the rest of the bulk, the cloak is actually a riding trenchcoat. The back seam has a small gauge zipper that runs from hip to hem and has clasps
on the inside of the two edges. The clasps close like chaps around the legs (the inner leg) so the cloak/trenchcoat becomes a kind of jump suit. In the wild west cowboys who could affoard them wore them a lot. They're very outdated and hard to find, but that's how I would do it. Same for Roxas (Twilight Town) he's taken the sleeves off, but if you look closely while playing, you can see the white pants covering the cloak.

That wouldn't surprise me for character design; I've worked on Kadaj from Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, which is constructed pretty much exactly like that (same character designer).  (All three of the FF7 AC Remnants are wearing the same outfit, just cut up/modified different ways.  Loz's is cut short to make a jacket, Yazoo's is left long and would be closest to the original design, and Kadaj's has been modified so that the lower part of the coat straps to his legs over his pants.) However, as we discovered in doing Kadaj in medium-to-heavy-weight garment leather, the design is impractical.  It makes it difficult to sit (because of how the back alters length when it bends forward - google about making spandex bodysuits to learn more about that) and shifts around the legs badly with just walking, restricting movement.  We got it down pretty well, but my apprentice was still never able to fully sit in that outfit.

Can you show me pictures/screencaps or tell me where this information is from, though?  I researched a lot with the original KH2 game character designs in in high res, playing the game, and with the manga,  and I'm not seeing anything about this.  I don't see a back lower zipper at all on any of the coats, and it *really* doesn't look like Riku's got extra material in his pants, strapped down or not.  (...Oh goodness don't take that one out of context.)  And the vest cuts off above the waist of the pants, showing off the midriff of the shirt, where it's got none of the Org. coat seams or pockets.  See here - no Org. coat seam lines evident.  In this screencap, it can clearly be seen that the undershirt is not tucked in, and is at most hip-length.

In addition, do you mean this outfit for Roxas?  (Here's an official CGI rendering of that character artwork.)  Roxas is clearly wearing pants with a fly and a short undershirt with a white-based bottom hem that lays over the pants, in these pictures - definitely not stuffed inside the pants.  It also has a separating jacket zipper rather than a parka zipper (with two heads) like the Org. coats, in a different gague and style than the Org. coats.  If you look closely you can see the collar and yoke seams similar to the Org. coat, but the vertical seams are not present, and the top of the collar is entirely different.
This screencap clearly shows that the undershirt isn't tucked in, and instead has a lower hem at (again) about hip height at the lowest.

That duster design seems to be more of a modern/Spagetti Western thing than authentic 1800s/Turn-of-the-Century Western.  (Dusters themselves originated in Australia.)  Here's an example.  They also seem content to snap around the bottom of the leg rather than the thigh, which wouldn't help with it getting twisted around while walking but, if there was enough room for it to slide up and down, could make it possible to sit comfortably.

...Sorry.  I work with accuracy in mind and were I to make it that way, I'd need to be able to provide the documentation for customers, so I need screencaps or other artwork (or to be pointed at where to look).

I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

maikiritori

I see I've been corrected. As I was saying if I were to make it, I'd use the modified Org cloack if we were going strictly off the first reference pic. The second one does show a vest that is not tucked in. In the second pic I honestly couldn't tell if there were not Org seam lines on the chest. To me it looks like it, so I would put them in. (My phone doesn't zoom in with enough clarity to see.) However thinking of the character, I really wouldn't be surprised if he had kept his cloak and modified it. (Seeing as he was running around as Ansem for most of II. Albiet for a good reason, but it seems, to me at least, to be in character).  And as for Roxas, I'm going strictly off of game play. I've never had an interest in making his costume, so what it looked like to me was a modified Org cloak.

As for the zippers, they can eaisly be hidden by fabric when zipped. Some (as I learned in my research for the KGA version of Eclair) even look like decrative piping. ( A friend was messing with a picture and zoomed in more than I can and we found that the gold and hearts were in fact zippers and their corresponding pulls.) I have had the chance to actually examine a riding trench. The one that I was able to look at had been like I described. The person who owned it had inherited it and from how they talked about it, it wasn't meant to be walked in with it strapped around the thighs. It was meant for riding horses during rainy months. A modern version would have snaps, but the one I had my hands on had straps.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

Starherd

Quote from: maikiritori on June 24, 2010, 12:54:09 PM
I see I've been corrected. As I was saying if I were to make it, I'd use the modified Org cloack if we were going strictly off the first reference pic. The second one does show a vest that is not tucked in. In the second pic I honestly couldn't tell if there were not Org seam lines on the chest. To me it looks like it, so I would put them in. (My phone doesn't zoom in with enough clarity to see.) However thinking of the character, I really wouldn't be surprised if he had kept his cloak and modified it. (Seeing as he was running around as Ansem for most of II. Albiet for a good reason, but it seems, to me at least, to be in character).  And as for Roxas, I'm going strictly off of game play. I've never had an interest in making his costume, so what it looked like to me was a modified Org cloak.

As for the zippers, they can eaisly be hidden by fabric when zipped. Some (as I learned in my research for the KGA version of Eclair) even look like decrative piping. ( A friend was messing with a picture and zoomed in more than I can and we found that the gold and hearts were in fact zippers and their corresponding pulls.) I have had the chance to actually examine a riding trench. The one that I was able to look at had been like I described. The person who owned it had inherited it and from how they talked about it, it wasn't meant to be walked in with it strapped around the thighs. It was meant for riding horses during rainy months. A modern version would have snaps, but the one I had my hands on had straps.

Don't misunderstand me - I find it likely for the characters too, that's why I flailed.  ^_^;  Like I said, I go for accuracy; I'd hate to have missed something.

*looks up Eclair* Oh wow.  I can see them being functional zippers and even being how to get into the outfit, but man that's complicated.  XD

I'm going to guess that riding coats like that would be pretty rare, then.  I've only ever seen the re-enactors around here go for coats that would sit over the back of a saddle and down the sides like a cloak, rather than fastening around the legs, and the ones I've talked to before to didn't favor long coats as accurate at all (they were complaining about Spagetti Westerns).  Might be just the local group.  Learn something every day.  ^_^

maikiritori

Sorry for panicking you. ^_^ didn't mean to. Those coats are pretty hard to find. It might not have been authentic. At the time I didn't know half as much as I do now. But since we are on the help me thread, any suggestions for the giant heart pull tabs for Eclair's zippers?

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&gl=us&source=mog&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=7103&fsdt=10852&sa=2&q=kiddy+girl+and+eclair#i=10
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

Starherd

Quote from: maikiritori on June 24, 2010, 05:01:43 PM
Sorry for panicking you. ^_^ didn't mean to. Those coats are pretty hard to find. It might not have been authentic. At the time I didn't know half as much as I do now. But since we are on the help me thread, any suggestions for the giant heart pull tabs for Eclair's zippers?

http://www.google.com/m/search?site=images&gl=us&source=mog&aq=f&oq=&aqi=-k0d0t0&fkt=7103&fsdt=10852&sa=2&q=kiddy+girl+and+eclair#i=10

I'd guess polymer clay (Fimo/Sculpey) (shaped around wadded foil to keep it lighter).  I'd bake it with a heavy jump ring in it, and then use wire cutters to cut off the zipper's original pull and use another jump ring to connect it to the zipper.

Sometimes you can find hard/smooth styrofoam heart shapes at craft stores, but I don't know if those would be the right size/shape, exactly.  Might be worth a look at Michael's or such, though.

Rebeccakh

ok so im starting 2 new costumes for next year and i had a few questions before i get started on them
first off for my ouka costume

i was wondering how you'd go about making the werefeet boot things
i was planing on making shoe coverings but im worried about having a hard time walking in them x _ x im imagining id have to do the scuba fin waddle
second on her boa, does anyone know how to achieve that nice soft look of it? ive seen some people make it and it looks like a really fluffy towel so i was considering stuffing it a bit and what would i make the ends on it out of?

second my fran costume

i know i dont have perfect skin all over my body so i wanted to get like a skin colored tan leotard or somthing to cover most of my body where it needs it if anyone knows somewhere where they sell stuff like that I live over in Manteca Ca, so if there's somewhere around there that sells things like that itd be much appreciated if you could give me the location of it
i also wanted to know where i could get a butt length silver white wig like her hair so some links would be nice to online shops but not too exspensive i dont need it to be that high quality since im going to attach it to her helmet and ears and put a strap on the bottom to hold it all on and its supposed to look a bit messy
third my friend thats coming over to visit me and go to the con with me loves her shoes because they have a two pronged heel (weird right?) i saw a lady on cosplay.com use a weird thing with 2 screws on it and she sawed off the heel and attached the two screws to where the heel was and made the right shape with clay, now i know i dont have the tools to do that so any easier ides for making her famous two pronged heel?

himitsu_

Hey there, I'm gonna be cosplaying as Mello from Death Note for Fanime 2011.
http://www.nautiljon.com/images/perso/grandes/Death_Note/mello.jpg
I want the cosplay to be quite accurate, and I've begun to compare anime screenshots and consider prior cosplays.

I don't know if the manga is more popular (and so cosplayers base their costumes on that Mello), but I've NEVER seen a cosplay with a Mello wearing a brown vest.

If you look at the link above, the vest color looks brown...
So my dilemna is...should I make my outfit more accurate to anime (brown vest)?
Even if it's at the risk of being less recognizable? (Since most cosplayers associate a black, quilted vest to Mello)

Anyway feedback would be great. I'm getting intense about this, haha.

BrightHeart76

Even without looking at your reference picture I always think of Mellow's vest as brown (like the chocolate he loves).  I actually always thought it was brown leather.  I would think you would be more recognizable with the brown vest than with the black...but that's just me.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

himitsu_

Quote from: BrightHeart76 on July 07, 2010, 02:06:15 AM
Even without looking at your reference picture I always think of Mellow's vest as brown (like the chocolate he loves).  I actually always thought it was brown leather.  I would think you would be more recognizable with the brown vest than with the black...but that's just me.

Thanks for the input! :)

AnimeFans4Yaoi

:) Hoping someone could offer any advice. One of our members (Nicallette) wants to cosplay her OC Slytherin character at FanimeCON 2011, but she's having some trouble. Some of her problems are:

1. What would be the best/cheapest way to make the robes? The kind that have the arms and hood with the green inside. (Like the robes Draco wears in Prisoner of Azakaban) She has a black cloak from Halloween as a backup but would prefer the robe. What fabric would be the best for the robe, and the green inside? Any other tips for the robe would be helpful!

2. What would be the best way to copy the Slytherin logo(patch)? How would it be attached to the robe?

Any other advice you can think of is welcomed. She has very little money but wants the cosplay to look as close to the robes the Slytherin students wear.

Here are a couple reference pics: (Not for Draco just the robes)
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/LaurenJessica_01/malfoy.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/AGreenSandStorm/Draco%20Malfoy/Draco.jpg

Green_Tea

Quote from: AnimeFans4Yaoi on July 12, 2010, 12:20:03 AM
:) Hoping someone could offer any advice. One of our members (Nicallette) wants to cosplay her OC Slytherin character at FanimeCON 2011, but she's having some trouble. Some of her problems are:

1. What would be the best/cheapest way to make the robes? The kind that have the arms and hood with the green inside. (Like the robes Draco wears in Prisoner of Azakaban) She has a black cloak from Halloween as a backup but would prefer the robe. What fabric would be the best for the robe, and the green inside? Any other tips for the robe would be helpful!

2. What would be the best way to copy the Slytherin logo(patch)? How would it be attached to the robe?

Any other advice you can think of is welcomed. She has very little money but wants the cosplay to look as close to the robes the Slytherin students wear.

Here are a couple reference pics: (Not for Draco just the robes)
http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh233/LaurenJessica_01/malfoy.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc204/AGreenSandStorm/Draco%20Malfoy/Draco.jpg

1. The robe: There are two patterns from Simplicity that might work for the robe linked below. As far as fabric, stay away from things that are very stretch or very thick as they can get really difficult to sew if you're inexperienced. The best thing you could do is talk to someone at a local fabric store for help. They can even help you read the patterns and make sure you buy enough fabric most of the time. Also, as it gets really hot at Fanime you might want to go for some nice breathable cottons.

2. You can get Slytherin patches on ebay, and a lot of them are really simple to attach because they're iron on. I found one with free shipping for $3.50.

http://www.simplicity.com/p-2272-costumes.aspx
(I think this one looks closer to the one you're trying to duplicate.)
http://www.simplicity.com/p-2620-costumes.aspx
2011 Cosplay Plans: (Vocaloid) Cantarella-Kaito 0%, (Professor Layton) Luke 0%, (Ponyo) Ponyo's Dad 0%

Sacred_miko

Um, I'm a cosplay noob. That is to say I usually always just buy my costumes and go to conventions. But I wanted to go as a level one akuma from D. Gray-man, and seeing as no one has that costume I was going to try and make it myself. I was reading a whole bunch of tutorials on fun foam and stuff, but I'm just not sure as to what materials would be best to use to make the outer shell/body of the akuma. If anybody could help, absolutely any tips or advice would be greatly and very much appreciated. ^^ Thanks in advance.

If if haven't watched D. Gray Man before, a level one akuma looks like this;

http://media.photobucket.com/image/level%20one%20akuma/shonenjump2993/31ch1-1.jpg

Nyanko

ok so im doing Juri Han from Super Street Fighter 4 and have a few questions. So for people that play the game, in the game her colors tend to change, particuraly (i know i spelled it wrong, chill) on her arm sleeves. Now sometimes its purple, other times its blue-ish and then its black-ish. I'm just looking for some feedback on what generally the colors there are percieved to be. Also, her hair...how to get it that puffy without the wig being quite heavy and still having it be accurate as well. Thanks for your help in advance!

http://ps3life.nl/data/upload/01LwV-20090930-1254318163.jpg
http://www.bitmob.com/images/stories/MISC_IMAGES/korean%20gaming/Korea_04_BMP_jpgcopy%20%281%29.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_zd7XhbH-HRE/S8FXU3tKhjI/AAAAAAAADFM/w8uzmfQNfAs/s1600/juri.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/S2BoIKKNctI/AAAAAAAA_9s/zl6H5m0CpMo/s400/female_street_fighter_costumes_26.jpg
http://iplaywinner.com/storage/super-sf4-dev-blog-11dec09-3.jpg

~Blood for betrayal~
http://nekae.deviantart.com/
Fanime2013
Penelo ff12
Sailor Moon

Nina Star 9

I think I'm going to go as Lady Blackpearl from Legend of Mana, but I have one really big problem. A really big, fish-shaped problem.

See, she has this giant hammer that looks like a fish with the head cut off. I'm not great with props, and all the hammer tutorials I can find are for simple shapes (cubes and cylinders) and wouldn't adapt well to a more complex shape like a fish. I'm thinking maybe a support made of thin cardboard or craft foam for the body, then building up off of that with ???, attaching it to a broomhandle or a length of PVC pipe, and painting the whole thing. If I used clay of some sort to build up the texture and spikes, I would probably need some sort of support system underneath them so that they are stable. What would I use for that? Also, the fin on the back end is quite perplexing, as I would need something of the same material as the rest of the spikes that sticks stright out in long, thin spikes that I can attach ???? to for the webbing in the fins. Would fabric look stupid for the webbing, by the way?

I'm a little scared to do this one (I'm not badass enough for the character, for one, and two, it's pretty complex in the way that probably doesn't translate well to real life, and three, I'm a bit scared that I'll put in all this work and then not have any pictures taken because she's super obscure), but I'm still excited. It will be quite a challenge, and I'm a huge fan of the game. :D

explosive_artist

I know it's a tad bit early, but I need some help. My younger brother(about 7) wants to cosplay as Mothra next year. The problem is, I'm not sure where to start for making an outfit that's supposed to be for a girl, for a boy. And pointers in the right direction?
Matthew Patel - Scott Pilgrim's Precious Little Life/Vs The World

Mami Tomoe -gender bend-

Finnick Odair -arena-

BSaphire

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on August 08, 2010, 11:46:38 PM
I think I'm going to go as Lady Blackpearl from Legend of Mana, but I have one really big problem. A really big, fish-shaped problem.

See, she has this giant hammer that looks like a fish with the head cut off. I'm not great with props, and all the hammer tutorials I can find are for simple shapes (cubes and cylinders) and wouldn't adapt well to a more complex shape like a fish. I'm thinking maybe a support made of thin cardboard or craft foam for the body, then building up off of that with ???, attaching it to a broomhandle or a length of PVC pipe, and painting the whole thing. If I used clay of some sort to build up the texture and spikes, I would probably need some sort of support system underneath them so that they are stable. What would I use for that? Also, the fin on the back end is quite perplexing, as I would need something of the same material as the rest of the spikes that sticks stright out in long, thin spikes that I can attach ???? to for the webbing in the fins. Would fabric look stupid for the webbing, by the way?

I'm a little scared to do this one (I'm not badass enough for the character, for one, and two, it's pretty complex in the way that probably doesn't translate well to real life, and three, I'm a bit scared that I'll put in all this work and then not have any pictures taken because she's super obscure), but I'm still excited. It will be quite a challenge, and I'm a huge fan of the game. :D
Going by the pic you provided...
1.  I see a safety cone (with the bottom trimmed.) For the large round end of the safety cone I would suggest cutting a piece of medium to heavy interfacing & covering it with some black fabric. Once attached put the entire cone into a nylon (which would add to forming a base texture for application of the shell looking portion) and adhere it the cone pressing it in where needed. I would suggest getting some Styrofoam (cone shaped) to insert into the middle of the safety cone so that it adds stability to the main pole once attached and would assist in supporting the spikes at the end.
2.  As for the spikes and the webbing I would suggest nylons cut and stretched over dowels (or sandwiched in between the wood.) How ever you decide to stretch and secure it I would then add the shell looking material and finish off with primer and paint.
3.  For the main body that attaches to the pole I would probably use fiberglass over a shell/snail shaped frame. This could be done out of fabric, but I would use fiberglass and mold it. The body reminds me of a conch shell and you could find some shell to glue and color, but I think that would be more work. For the part that wraps down the pole I would use more of what ever I did for the main part. 

I think people would take pictures of you even if they didn't know the character. That prop just screams "Take My Picture!" :)

Hope this helps give you some ideas on how to make it.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

akillakai

Hi! I'm doing my first cosplay, which is Dead Master, and I'm not sure how to wear her wings?

The back of my dress won't be open like that, and I'm planning on just making her wings out of cardboard then covering it up with craft foam.
I was also planning on just making it one piece, instead of the two different wings.

kagome437

well you can always make a skin colored leotard, with flexible cardboard/plastic (padded on skin side) on the inside of the leotard. and attach the wings so that it still looks like skin, but isnt. but it still has something to keep it supported on your back.

Starherd

Quote from: akillakai on August 14, 2010, 09:30:35 AM
Hi! I'm doing my first cosplay, which is Dead Master, and I'm not sure how to wear her wings?

The back of my dress won't be open like that, and I'm planning on just making her wings out of cardboard then covering it up with craft foam.
I was also planning on just making it one piece, instead of the two different wings.

If the back of your dress won't be open, you could attach the wings to the back of the dress using strong magnets.  (There's a silver 1/2"-or-so disc kind at Michael's that are <i>incredibly</i> strong).  Put one set on the wings on the outside (facing away from your skin - can cover them with craft foam or whatever material, or paint over them, if you want), and use the other set on the inside of the dress.  May want to test first through layers, to see that you get magnets strong enough.  Sewing the wings to the dress would be another option, though not as removable.

Starherd

Quote from: Rebeccakh on July 01, 2010, 02:41:31 AM
ok so im starting 2 new costumes for next year and i had a few questions before i get started on them
first off for my ouka costume

i was wondering how you'd go about making the werefeet boot things
i was planing on making shoe coverings but im worried about having a hard time walking in them x _ x im imagining id have to do the scuba fin waddle
second on her boa, does anyone know how to achieve that nice soft look of it? ive seen some people make it and it looks like a really fluffy towel so i was considering stuffing it a bit and what would i make the ends on it out of?

Hey - if nobody's suggested it yet, and you don't want to use fake fur for the long hair/tassels on the ends there, maybe you could use white wigs?  Might be able to find a couple cheap after Halloween, even.  :-)