The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Charis

Quote from: Melly on August 23, 2010, 02:42:39 PM
oh i wasnt scared of over dying it ^^ but more of.. black getting into my yellow and turning into like.. caca color :(  XDD

If you're getting a shirt that's white and black and dyeing it yellow, that shouldn't be a problem.  That's what I was trying to say in my response; I meant overdyeing as in going over an existing dye job (e.g. something already partially dyed black), not as in getting it too dark.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  Short version: you should be fine. :D
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Rebeccakh

ahh youre right! x w x i never thought of that ty *hug* im gonna be buying a lot of white wigs from halloween  > >;

FireDracon

I dont know if people just skipped it cause its to hard or just did notice it but. Im want to make the Cait Sith's Mog.

Im thinking of using some hula hoops, but any other advice would be great.

kagome437

Quote from: kagome437 on August 17, 2010, 06:43:10 PM
hello, this is my second year going to fanime. first time going for the enitre weekend. yayz!!!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t255/kagome437/king_of_hell_v01_p132.jpg
i'm going to cosplay as majeh envoy version alternate color..its the guy in the picture. well i'm wondering if anyone knows how to style his hair go up like axel and dbz hair and then back down. its like a lobsided upside down v.
please help if you can, cuz i'm still staring at different wigs.
well i got an ivy wig from cosworx for it, but i still need some advice on the construction half of it, how should i make it go up,and then come back down, and be able to stay that way?

Starherd

Quote from: FireDracon on August 28, 2010, 09:34:35 AM
I dont know if people just skipped it cause its to hard or just did notice it but. Im want to make the Cait Sith's Mog.

Im thinking of using some hula hoops, but any other advice would be great.

You could string together hoops - not necessarily hula hoops; you could make them from firm plastic tube with a piece of dowel stuck inside to put the cut ends together, so that you can have gradiated sizes - so that when they're inside the fur shell, they hang like a chinese lantern to give it the round shape, maybe.  Then that part could collapse pretty flat, too, which is an advantage for storage and travel.

The disadvantage with hoops is that they won't necessarily give a smooth shape.  What I've seen manufactured mascot costumes do sometimes is create the interior shape out of upholstery foam (making it like a hollow ball) with the fur shell put over that.  It can smush to about half its width for storage/travel, or could be made so that the foam pieces would remove entirely and individually store flat.

Another option would be to get one of those inflatable sumo wrestler costumes at Halloween and cover it, but I'm not sure if they'd be sturdy enough for that; I've never met one in person inflated.  Yet.
I Do Cosplay Commissions - PM Me!

Remember to smell good for every con. ZOMG Smells
The right scent can really complete your outfit!

STFU Studios thanks everyone who came by in the AA! See you soon!

Starherd

Quote from: kagome437 on August 28, 2010, 09:57:40 PM
Quote from: kagome437 on August 17, 2010, 06:43:10 PM
hello, this is my second year going to fanime. first time going for the enitre weekend. yayz!!!
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t255/kagome437/king_of_hell_v01_p132.jpg
i'm going to cosplay as majeh envoy version alternate color..its the guy in the picture. well i'm wondering if anyone knows how to style his hair go up like axel and dbz hair and then back down. its like a lobsided upside down v.
please help if you can, cuz i'm still staring at different wigs.
well i got an ivy wig from cosworx for it, but i still need some advice on the construction half of it, how should i make it go up,and then come back down, and be able to stay that way?

My best try would be to shape the locks using elmer's glue, and if they refused to stay in the correct place, work in some v. similar-colored wire to hold them in the right position.  (They'll take a good bit of glue though.  You'd want to use latex gloves and scoop it on your fingers, and then work it into the hair the way you would putting hair gel in your own hair.  And you'd have to hold it in place as it dried.)

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: Rebeccakh on August 24, 2010, 01:20:22 PM
ahh youre right! x w x i never thought of that ty *hug* im gonna be buying a lot of white wigs from halloween  > >;
I'm gonna do that too. O:
I heard Joann's sells Halloween wigs for cheep prices.. > >

Rebeccakh

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on August 30, 2010, 08:49:41 PM
Quote from: Rebeccakh on August 24, 2010, 01:20:22 PM
I'm gonna do that too. O:
I heard Joann's sells Halloween wigs for cheep prices.. > >
really? D: i hope so cause i was gonna go buy some white fur from there and if i could snag some wigs there while im at it thatd be awesome
oh oh cosplay.com got their own wig shop im getting the two that im wearing on my head from there
http://shop.cosplay.com/wigs/cosplay-com.html

kookiekween99

This may seem like a silly question, but where would I find a good cat collar? I thought I could find one at one of the Halloween/party stores, but they're all either too simple, too cheaply made, or just not my style. It's too late to get it in time for Halloween, but it'd still be nice to have at Fanime.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Nina Star 9

Quote from: kookiekween99 on October 28, 2010, 06:25:08 PM
This may seem like a silly question, but where would I find a good cat collar? I thought I could find one at one of the Halloween/party stores, but they're all either too simple, too cheaply made, or just not my style. It's too late to get it in time for Halloween, but it'd still be nice to have at Fanime.
This will sound even sillier, but have you tried a pet store? I mean, hopefully your neck isn't as small as a cat's, but if you got a simple dog collar and attached a bell to it, it would be pretty much the same thing (and would fit around your neck).

Starherd

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on October 30, 2010, 09:01:04 AM
Does anyone know where I can find white short aprons like here? :: http://cgi.ebay.com/cos0010-He-My-Master-Maid-Dress-Cosplay-Costume-/280496928989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414eeb78dd#ht_3236wt_905

I don't know where to buy, but the apron alone looks pretty simple to make - there's patterns at fabric stores for such (I've used them before so I know they make 'em).  Do you sew at all?  :)
-Starherd

MyMidnightAffair

Quote from: Starherd on October 30, 2010, 10:17:44 AM
Does anyone know where I can find white short aprons like here? :: http://cgi.ebay.com/cos0010-He-My-Master-Maid-Dress-Cosplay-Costume-/280496928989?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414eeb78dd#ht_3236wt_905

I don't know where to buy, but the apron alone looks pretty simple to make - there's patterns at fabric stores for such (I've used them before so I know they make 'em).  Do you sew at all?  :)
-Starherd

Thanks for your help.
And no, I do not. ^^
But I'm thinking of creating an apron out of white unwanted bedsheets.

Melly

so i totally already got my Euphemia wig, i wore it like.. twice and the part that i guess lays on my back? XD is realllllllllly frizzy/tangled...

so my question is how do i get the frizzyness out with out.. brushing threw the curls...

or do you think it'd be ok to brush threw the curls? would they bounce back into place or would they like.. go straight D:?... turn wavy ;;?...  :'( :'(

i tried googling this problem with no .. help XD;

so please and thank you ;O;

if i need to post a wig so you can see the kind of curls it has i will ;o

Starherd

Quote from: MyMidnightAffair on October 30, 2010, 10:49:04 AM
Quote from: Starherd on October 30, 2010, 10:17:44 AM

-Starherd

That sounds like it would work just fine, actually.  :)  Good luck!
-Starherd

Thanks for your help.
And no, I do not. ^^
But I'm thinking of creating an apron out of white unwanted bedsheets.

artisticpsyco

Go ahead and brush through the curls, just be gentle and use a good comb (no paddle brushes or anything OTL they cause horror stories with wigs). If your curls are less prominent just twist them around your finger and they should come back c: Thats what I do with my Luka wig and my natural hair.

Melly

well the curls seem like they're kinda... hairsprayed? o-o

should i take a piccy ;-;? cause im so scared to ruin it XD... /takes picture right now

Melly

this makes my wig look really cheap and ugly ;;...

but it's really a very nice high quality wig<3.

stupid flash..

and frizz.. :u

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/897/028ts.jpg

that's kinda the inside part that's frizzy XD...

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/5073/029mq.jpg

BSaphire

Quote from: Melly on October 30, 2010, 12:35:12 PM
so i totally already got my Euphemia wig, i wore it like.. twice and the part that i guess lays on my back? XD is realllllllllly frizzy/tangled...

so my question is how do i get the frizzyness out with out.. brushing threw the curls...

or do you think it'd be ok to brush threw the curls? would they bounce back into place or would they like.. go straight D:?... turn wavy ;;?...  :'( :'(

i tried googling this problem with no .. help XD;

so please and thank you ;O;

if i need to post a wig so you can see the kind of curls it has i will ;o
I have not seen your wig so I am offering blind pointers to you.

First off, Do Not Brush it. Most every brush out there can cause more trouble then it is worth when it comes to wigs. A REALLY wide tooth comb will work just fine. ALSO NOTE that when you work with a wig you do not start at the top and work down RATHER you work from the bottom up. Try not to tug/pull/stretch the knots out. Work at each one slowly with the end tooth of the comb/your fingers/or something like a pencil. This way you won't damage the wig hair fiber as much and that means less FRIZZIES!

Here is my suggestions on the process:

If you have a foam wig head attach the wig to the head and pin it in place.

If you have a wig head stand then you would attach the head to the dowel so that the wig hair will fall naturally or as it is styled. If you do not have a stand then secure the head so that it will not move as much as you can while leaving the wig mostly open to be detangled.

STARTING at the bottom of the wig hair, comb out the bottom two inches all the way across while slowly working out the tangles with your fingers and the WIDE tooth comb.

CONTINUE this process up the wig every two inches till you get close to the nap of the neck area of the wig.

NOTE: It may help to part the sections (sides and back) in to several areas and secure them with banana clips to keep each area separate as you go. Parting the hair is not done from the top of the wig down. It is done by separating out the sections, each row of two inches, as you go.

THE length of the wig will help you determine the best layout for the above process, but once you have the majority of it combed through you need to then think about how you will store it. I personally keep most of my wigs in their original bags with the hair net around them (the black net thing that was over the wig when it came) and then transport them that way.

WHEN you get to the head portion of the wig you will slowly work you way around the wig moving up as you go.

Once it is all untangled you may need to spruce up your curls. You can take them by curls/sections and wrap it around a FOAM roller that can be secured by a banana type hair clip or you can carefully fold it together and then apply the hair net back over the hair.

*NOTE* washing and setting a wig is another process. There are great tutorials out there on wig care and styling. You can find lots on Cosplay.com. Try to be a little specific to help narrow your search when looking in their forums.

Hope this info helps. :D
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Melly

i have piccies of the wig in my post above yours ;o!

so it should be ok to comb threw the curls ;o?

most of the tangels are like.. RIGHT above the curls, not so much the curls themself (from what it looks like to me XD)