The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

BSaphire

Quote from: Melly on November 04, 2010, 11:02:05 PM
i have piccies of the wig in my post above yours ;o!

so it should be ok to comb threw the curls ;o?

most of the tangels are like.. RIGHT above the curls, not so much the curls themselves (from what it looks like to me XD)
It should be ok to comb through, but make sure your comb's teeth are wide apart. If you have a hair pic like African Americans use that would be ok too. A standard comb's teeth are closer together than what I'm suggesting. If there is a beauty supply store near you I would try there to find yourself a comb. You don't really need "fat" teeth, just a good gap in between the teeth like between your fingers if you flex them straight.

After looking at the pics I offer this suggestion:
Comb through the entire wig from the bottom up and when you get it untangled then go through and pull apart the individual sections and wrap the bottom "curled" part around individual foam rollers. Secure each one and then put your hair net over the body of the wig. You can then either store it in the original bag or on a foam wig head.

You may be tempted to use a curling iron on your wig, but I caution against it. I have found that wigs have a tendency to retain the original curl's memory and will bounce back to that form.

To prevent this type of tangle's in the future I would suggest a hair scrunchie or banana clip around the lower half to isolate the movement. Not while your having pics shot mind you XD but when your eating lunch, sitting in a video room, or outside hanging out especially. The longer the wig the more tangles from just wearing it and then a little breeze will compound that. X)

Hope these suggestions help.
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Melly

oki i tried that, i skipped the foam rollers though ;a;.. everytime i put one on but seperating it just seemed to just re-frizz it a bit xDD...

but the curls stayed for the most part ;o~ which is relieving *O*... the wig seems a bit fuller now though but im now worried XD!

Sherbert

I've been looking around a bit for costumes and ideas, I'm going to be going as Snow Villiers from FFXIII and I found one of these pre-made cosplay outfits:

http://www.cosplaymagic.com/fifaxi13snvi.html

And I'm looking at it and the arm strap thing I would remake, and maybe wear different pants, but where would I ever find that coat or the inner blue garment or even those gloves? I would have to make them, and me being a guy who's never sewed before would this be worthwhile into looking into? I want to make my own outfit, but with something like this, it's a little different. Like I may help a friend do a Mass Effect 2 N7 armor, something like that of course has to be made, but requires little to no sewing or even messing with actual fabric. It's just a lot of foam and perhaps fiberglass and bondo, stuff I know how to work with. Anyways, there's a Sazh costume on there as well that my friend is going to be cosplaying as. What do many of you recommend seeing as a lot of you have done this before?

I was Snow Villiers from FFXIII accompanied by a Sazh Kastroy from the same game at Fanime 2011. If you have pictures of either of us send me a pm or email! Thanks!

BSaphire

Quote from: Melly on November 09, 2010, 06:55:20 PM
oki i tried that, i skipped the foam rollers though ;a;.. everytime i put one on but seperating it just seemed to just re-frizz it a bit xDD...

but the curls stayed for the most part ;o~ which is relieving *O*... the wig seems a bit fuller now though but im now worried XD!
So I take it that everything worked out for you then and I'm glad that I could help. :)

I personally dread combing out long wigs. It is extremely time consuming, but if I do it when I get home from con then I don't forget and I'm not scrambling to do it at the last minute. The long curly wigs are the worst XD because taking those sections and combing them through then rolling them.. *UGH! As for the fullness to the wig... that is only temporary.
Squidge
B
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

lilakid

Hey. First time maybe cosplaying for 2011 fanime. I'm bald and I was thinking about cosplaying as Aang the last air bender. I was wondering if people knew where I could buy monk clothing or have premades =P.

MyMidnightAffair

Hello!
I need a little help on Keito Nichi's Brigade outfit::

Reference Picture :
http://img705.imageshack.us/img705/1802/nichikate.jpg
I know how to create the mask, but I don't know what type of fabric/material I'd need to create her outfit. The outfit seems like it would hug the skin a little, & it shapes the natural curves of the body. And about the magenta-like "collar" (I'm not quite sure what the name of that is, so please let me know!) Should I use cardboard and cover it with fabric?

I appreciate the help!
~( ^O^ )~

Nina Star 9

I'd use some sort of very fine knit probably with spandex/lycra/stretchy stuff as one of the fibers. If you need to, just go to the fabric store, start feeling every fabric, and choose one (that comes in both black and white -- you'll probably have to do colourblocking unless you were planing on dyeing the stripes, which might be difficult or impossible with synthetics) that feels and looks right. Stretch it over your hands, your body, etc. to see how it conforms.

For the collar, I'd use a very stiff interfacing. You can get interfacing that is practically a board that you stick in your fabric, and that should keep the collar stiff while still being washable. I'd also sew some thin wire into the edge of the collar so it will keep its shape. You may need to stick some wire down the center back or somewhere to keep the entire thing from flopping down, though. Or maybe continue the interfacing down into the rest of that piece instead of ending it at the edge of the collar?

...Well, I have trouble keeping very stiff and large collars from flopping over, so my advice might not be the best. =_____=;

On that note...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/studio51/4655913876/in/set-72157624172602502/
See how the collar is flopped over? How should I fix that? I've already added more wire to try to keep it stading up, an dit helped a little, but not much. It's a pretty heavy piece, so maybe I jut need thicker wire?

Rodney_Pheonix

I'm going to be starting a project using it to make the armor piece that the NCR combat rangers wear in Fallout New Vegas and was wondering if anyone had experience in using it?
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Jiang Jin

Jiang Jin

azreale

Quote from: pandasquirl on June 01, 2010, 08:18:18 PM
Hii. I'm starting cosplay making early (very lol) because i usually end up procrastinating and coming up with easy cosplays >3< I found out that my best friend was going as Kallen next year and that made me feel like I WANT TO BE AWESOME TOO. Annnddd, I want to challenge my Grandma xDD JK she'll be helping. So i was wondering which cosplay would cost the least and which cosplay would be best? Should I be a moogle, Souseiseki(Rozen Maiden), or Chihiro (Spirited Away, Sen) ALSO. PLEASE BE AWARE IF THE WEATHER AND ITS COMFORT LEVEL x] Thankss youu  ;D
be souseiseki! my Bf and i will be there as suigintou and Laplace so another RM character would be GREAT!
Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Rin_chan

Hello fellow con-goers! I'm planning to be Azu-nyan from K-ON! this year, but am having trouble finding an affordable wig. The cheapest I've seen yet is 40. Anyone else know a good sight?

Zexion

I would like to go as Ezio from ACD
Or the Harlequin.
:D

Though, I would like to know where to buy that outfits and I would like good material like leather or "plether" as they say

kagome437

This current upcoming Fanime, majority of costumes have been made.
i'm having issues making a corset, can't seem to find a pattern or an existing one similar to it. can anyone help me?

also i'm pre-starting the cosplay for the next fanime as well (orginally ment to be for this con..but cosplays pushed by a con TT.TT) i need help with the wig, i purchased a long ivy wig in firestorm red i need help getting it to stay in the shape i want it too, and getting it there in that shape...also traveling to the convention with it..

referances

corset:  http://kyubikitsy.deviantart.com/art/Christmas-Chobits-2003-56131078

WIG: http://www.mangafox.com/manga/king_of_hell/v01/c005/3.html  

http://www.mangafox.com/manga/king_of_hell/v01/c004/15.html

please help ^^

Nina Star 9

A pattern for that shouldn't be too difficult to find or alter. It doesn't look like you'd need a fully functioning corset, just a structured bodice, right? I would try looking first at the Halloween section for barmaid-type bodices, since that shape reminds me a lot of dirndl. It doesn't even look all that stiff. It mostly just looks like a bodice (not a separate top, but attached to the skirt) with princess seams, a V-shaped waist, and lacing up the front. I can't see what the neckline looks like. Do you have any better refrence images? It would be easier to find something specific if I had a better idea of what it looked like.

Try historical patterns, Halloween patterns, and patterns recomended for lolita dresses (look at some lolita websites for lists of suitable patterns -- I think lolitafashion.org has one, and I'm sure the EGL comm on LJ has one, just ask if you need links). The basic shape isn't too difficult to make, but you may have a bit of trouble getting the lacing looking right if you add it to a pre-existing pattern.

Good luck! If you need any more clarification, just ask.

JewishCosplayer

;D I'm super excited for FanimeCON '11

Only, I'm a lil' worried about a few things. I'm planning on going as Belarus ( my friends are also cosplaying from Hetalia), however, we are having trouble with making our countries flags. I'm not sure what materials we are allowed to use for the construction ??? Can anyone help?

Also what fabric should we use for the flags? Since both Canada and Belarus' have symbols to put on, the leaf and the design on the side of Belarus' flag.

We need...

Ukraine Flag: http://unimaps.com/flags-europe/ukraine-flag.gif
Canada Flag: http://www.enchantedlearning.com/school/Canada/flagbig.GIF
Belgium Flag: http://wwp.greenwichmeantime.com/time-zone/europe/european-union/belgium/images/belgium-flag.jpg
Belarus Flag: http://unimaps.com/flags-europe/belarus-flag.gif

What should the poles be made of? I don't want to have them taken away  :'(

Question two...

I have a wig I'm planning on using for Belarus, here's a picture: http://jewishlolita.deviantart.com/gallery/24747096?offset=48#/d3223ba
It's the perfect texture and color, but it's a lil to big, and it falls off my head. I don't have a wig cap, which I plan on getting but because it's so big, it groups together in the back and the hair separates, so you see the stuff under. Which is why I wore a hood over the back, but I don't wanna do that at the convention. I don't have the money for another wig, any suggestions?

Thank you!!

Kuudere

Quote from: Rin_chan on January 01, 2011, 03:12:16 PM
Hello fellow con-goers! I'm planning to be Azu-nyan from K-ON! this year, but am having trouble finding an affordable wig. The cheapest I've seen yet is 40. Anyone else know a good sight?

Ebay is your friend for cheap, good wigs. Costume store wigs are usually, in my experience, of horrible quality, but the ones I've purchased from ebay have been great. Speaking from experience as someone who did a character with pigtails like yours, you will have much more luck going the short-wig-with-clip-on-tails. It won't look perfect from the back, but you can trim it to make it look better. You will not have ANY luck turning a regular long wig into pigtails unless it has a lot of hair and a skincap (difficult to find). If you go this route like I tried to do, you will have big gaps showing your real hair underneath, since it's typically only a net inside. Remember that you can always cut the hair of a wig, so even though it looks too long as it is, you can always fix it. You might end up saving money going that way rather than looking at wigs specifically styled for your character. Here are a few under $40 that I found on ebay for you:
$20.99 (free shipping)
$35.00 (free shipping)
$31.99 (free shipping)

Hope that helps!

Kuudere

Quote from: JewishCosplayer on January 16, 2011, 08:47:02 PM

Question two...

I have a wig I'm planning on using for Belarus, here's a picture: http://jewishlolita.deviantart.com/gallery/24747096?offset=48#/d3223ba
It's the perfect texture and color, but it's a lil to big, and it falls off my head. I don't have a wig cap, which I plan on getting but because it's so big, it groups together in the back and the hair separates, so you see the stuff under. Which is why I wore a hood over the back, but I don't wanna do that at the convention. I don't have the money for another wig, any suggestions?

Thank you!!

You tried it on with a wig cap and it still didn't work out? That seems odd. The wig cap usually is what makes everything fit snugly. Tie your hair into a ponytail and put on the wig cap, then distribute your hair underneath so it isn't lumpy in one place (never had a problem with it being lumpy, but I don't know how much hair you have). If your hair won't stay in place, bobby pin it, then put the wig cap on. After that, put your wig on. If for whatever reason your wig still keeps slipping off, bobby pin the wig to the wig cap, then it won't be going anywhere. If your wig cap shows through your wig (it shouldn't, but if), I would recommend getting one to match the color of your wig so that it is less noticeable. Or am I completely reading this problem wrong? I might need a picture of the problem in that case.

EDIT: If I AM reading it wrong and you never used a wig cap with your wig, I would highly suggest you buy one (they are ridiculously cheap). It will most likely look pretty bad without one holding your hair in place. Maybe I'm picky, but I kinda cringe when I see people going without them and you can see their hair coming out from under the wig. It kills the cosplay for me.

JewishCosplayer

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 16, 2011, 11:12:32 PM
Quote from: JewishCosplayer on January 16, 2011, 08:47:02 PM

Question two...

Thank you!!

You tried it on with a wig cap and it still didn't work out? That seems odd. The wig cap usually is what makes everything fit snugly. Tie your hair into a ponytail and put on the wig cap, then distribute your hair underneath so it isn't lumpy in one place (never had a problem with it being lumpy, but I don't know how much hair you have). If your hair won't stay in place, bobby pin it, then put the wig cap on. After that, put your wig on. If for whatever reason your wig still keeps slipping off, bobby pin the wig to the wig cap, then it won't be going anywhere. If your wig cap shows through your wig (it shouldn't, but if), I would recommend getting one to match the color of your wig so that it is less noticeable. Or am I completely reading this problem wrong? I might need a picture of the problem in that case.

EDIT: If I AM reading it wrong and you never used a wig cap with your wig, I would highly suggest you buy one (they are ridiculously cheap). It will most likely look pretty bad without one holding your hair in place. Maybe I'm picky, but I kinda cringe when I see people going without them and you can see their hair coming out from under the wig. It kills the cosplay for me.

Thank you. I had a wig cap before, and I used it, but the wig was still too heavy and kept falling back. If it doesn't fall off, then the hair in the back starts to separate and the wig lining shows. I'll post a picture when I can of the issue. Also, thank you for taking the time to help :)

Rank

Hi! I'm thinking about making a Killer's Kabuto to go with my Solly cosplay. I'm not sure where to start, except maybe getting a cheap plastic military helmet from a costume shop for the base. I've got access to all kinds of saws, drills, and a dad who can use them, so it doesn't have to be made from straight craft store supplies.

A picture of the kabuto:

Thanks in advance for any direction I'm able to get!