The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Jerry

Quote from: Affliction on January 20, 2011, 09:50:08 PM
So, I am unfortunately ready to rip my hair out when it comes to this problem. I want to get a wig that is multi colored browns and blacks dreads that I could use for my steampunk cosplay, but I can't find one ANYWHERE! I figure, I will have to make one. Any ideas or tips?

This is the look I'm going for with my wig: Sorry about the size of the image, I couldn't find anything smaller.  :-[

I just went to the Ewardian ball where a booth was selling these type of wig styles.

http://www.tessfelixhairdresser.com/pages/syntheticdreadlocks

hope you find what your looking for! Good Luck.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Kzuna

hey there,

This year will be my first time going to FanimeCon -pretty much my first anime related event, ever - and i need some major help.

So I've decided to cosplay something.
and i know i can buy costumes but...

i have this feeling that the whole experience would be so much more enjoyable and satisfying if i actually made my costume, so thats what im going to do.

but frankly i have no idea where to even start looking for how to make a costume.
I mean, can't blame a guy if things like sewing never crossed his mind right :).

so what i want to know is, where do you guys (all you pros out there~~) usually get your materials from? I'm thinking of things like fabric, lace, thread....etc, along those lines. And where would be good places to find actual sewing patterns to work from? I prefer to not have to buy BOOKS but i wouldn't mind.
any help would be Greatly appreciated!!!

*sorry if i posted in the wrong area

Griff223

nvm posted in the wrong place lol!

xichisex

Quote from: MeowDesu on January 22, 2011, 11:28:14 PM
If you want the really good ones that they use in movies/TV/theatre, a great source is 9mm SFX. They have the Byakugan contacts and regular white eye ones. "Red Devil" sounds like it fits the other one's description. You WILL be paying for quality, though. They're FDA approved and used in the professional industry, and they have a price tag to match. I've heard they do commission work as well.

There are other sites out there that will give you similar contacts for less, but just be aware that not all of them are very reputable. I'm not saying all of them are bad, just keep your eyes open for the shady looking ones (like ones that do not ask for prescriptions.) You don't want to trust your sight to something that may harm it.
Thank you for the tips about that website for contacts. I have another question about contacts though. And about Hinata. xD Sorry about that. So..Normally she doesn't exactly have the Byakugan eyes. So would you recommend just a light lavender or plain white eye for her everyday?

FanimeCon Cosplay 2013

Hikoki17

So I started the second season of Kuroshitsuji (Black Butler) and I'm a bit lost. I noticed that Grell has a different outfit - mainly different vest and different shoes. I can't decide which outfit to use when I cosplay as him >.<; And I also don't get why season two doesn't continue from season one. It seems almost like it's starting over again. Someone please help!

Kimba616

Quote from: Kzuna on January 26, 2011, 09:15:36 PM
so what i want to know is, where do you guys (all you pros out there~~) usually get your materials from? I'm thinking of things like fabric, lace, thread....etc, along those lines. And where would be good places to find actual sewing patterns to work from? I prefer to not have to buy BOOKS but i wouldn't mind.
any help would be Greatly appreciated!!!

The places I frequent most for cosplay are JoAnns , Hancock fabrics, Michaels, and thrift stores/goodwill. If you''re just starting out on cosplay, thrift stores are a good place to start since you can buy cheap, already constructed clothing, that you can either incorporate into your costume or cut up and use for patterns. Also, I first learned how to sew my watching others do it. If you don't know anyone who sews, youtube videos work just as well. :]

Charis

Quote from: Kzuna on January 26, 2011, 09:15:36 PMso what i want to know is, where do you guys (all you pros out there~~) usually get your materials from? I'm thinking of things like fabric, lace, thread....etc, along those lines. And where would be good places to find actual sewing patterns to work from? I prefer to not have to buy BOOKS but i wouldn't mind. any help would be Greatly appreciated!!!

Seconding JoAnn's and Michael's -- the latter, along with OSH/Home Despot for prop and accessory supplies, the former for fabrics and notions (thread, fasteners, interfacing, zippers, etc.).  Because my nearest JoAnn's is an hour away, I do a lot of my fabric shopping online: Fabric.com and Dharma Trading are the two sites I use most often.  Dharma's more for undyed fabrics (or natural colours -- white, off-white, some black), but I've taken to dyeing a lot of my own stuff and they're fabulous for that.  They also carry some things that can be used for accessories, as well as knitted cotton lace and silk ribbon and some other similar stuff.
If you're crazy like me, there's also the Fabric District in Los Angeles, but that's another sort of matter. :)

Kimba makes some good suggestions with thrift stores for pattern 'frameworks'; I've also done some pattern drafting by using my own clothes and tracing them onto newsprint.  There are, both in video and text/picture form, tutorials for a plethora of sewing techniques online, and your public library will almost certainly have books on the subject.  I knew basic hand and machine sewing when I started cosplay, but nothing about working with patterns, and I've learned a lot since then just by experimenting and doing -- I still tend to use patterns only as the most basic of basics.  You'll find, with a lot of cosplays, that you have to modify patterns anyway.  If you have a JoAnn's nearby, they'll usually hold sales with a particular pattern brand going for $1 or $2, and it's not a bad idea to pick up something similar to what you have in mind -- particularly if you're not familiar with sewing -- as a construction reference.

Hope that ramble's of some help to you. Good luck with your projects! :)
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Rodney_Pheonix

I am currently working on an Anti-Material rifle prop from the Fallout 'verse', and I've run into a standstill. the issue I'm running into is "How the heck am I going to connect the barrel assembly to the stock I've made."

I've thought of glue and metal binding straps.. but nothing I can think of really works for me in my mind at least, thus I turn to you.

Here's photos of my latest mock up, the duct tape on the barrel shows about where I want to put some kind of fasteners.  Disregard the gorilla tape holding on the bipod. I generally know how I'm going to do that.

Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Kzuna

Awesome! exactly the kind of info i was looking for, thanks you guys!!!

Rodney_Pheonix

It was me being an idiot for the most part.
Personal FanimeCon 2015 Fund: ?/?
Planned 2014 Cosplays:
Kiev Klanker
A young Sidrovich?
HL2 Combine (concept art trenchcoat one)
Something something....no idea yet.

Hikoki17

Thank you for your help :) I have just one more question. Would it be better to just go and buy the whole cosplay outfit or to make it myself? Like I mentioned, this will be my first time cosplaying, but I do have the money to order one of my three outfits.

Charis

Quote from: Hikoki17 on January 28, 2011, 08:09:01 PM
Thank you for your help :) I have just one more question. Would it be better to just go and buy the whole cosplay outfit or to make it myself? Like I mentioned, this will be my first time cosplaying, but I do have the money to order one of my three outfits.

That's a matter of personal preference, I'd say, as well as time and your skill level relative to the costume (and what you expect in terms of a costume versus cost).  Personally I prefer to make my own stuff, but that's partly that I sincerely enjoy the crafty side, partly pride in my own work, partly stupid perfectionist tendencies and partly just being weirdly proportioned.  Ultimately, since cosplay is about having fun (at least IMO), I'd say do whichever would maximise that.
(Probably no help, but I'm afraid that's the only kind of answer I can give.)

Rodney: Is it something you're going to be taking apart and reassembling, or is it going to travel intact?  Because the first thing that comes to mind is screws, anchoring straps, and some particularly good strong glue ...  (My monitor's half burned out so I apologise if I've missed something obvious about assembly in the pictures. <_< ) Looks neat, though!
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Ockman

I'm coming out to fanime from Wisconsin. I'm gonna be visiting a friend out there during the same weekend, and we plan on coming to the convention. I've never been to one of these conventions before, and I've never done cosplay before. I've been debating so much if I should cosplay, I want to because I would enjoy it if I could pull it off. The problem is I honestly can't think of a single character from a game or anime that I could pull off in terms of looks.

As it is, I don't know how well any costume I make, or buy parts for will turn out. Persona 4 is one of my favorite games ever, and for a while I just kept thinking maybe I could as the MC from P4.  Even if I make the perfect costume, I don't have the face for it. I don't have the good looks to pass off any anime style characters, nor am I Japanese.

I've been trying to think of other characters I like that aren't so Japanese, but the costumes become a little too elaborate for me to possibly construct. I'm trying to resist the idea of just buying a costume, because part of cosplaying is making the costume I always thought.

I know it's hard for anyone to possibly help me without knowing what I look like, and what my build is like. If anyone could give me some advice, and would like to try to help, please feel free to let me know! Perhaps I can show you what I look like, because I really could use some ideas on what someone thinks I could pull off.

Kertus

Well I think cosplay comes down to what are you trying to do?
Look realistic/accurate or just have a fun time? And that should guide how much effort and what you do for your cosplay.
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

BSaphire

Quote from: Rodney_Pheonix on January 28, 2011, 07:00:39 PM
off topic.....considering the name of the forum is 'Cosplay! Construction, Tips, Gatherings, Advice' is it so unreasonable that this forum would be a place to post questions and or ask for adice in regards to construction of cosplays/props?
I move threads like this into a central thread so that they can get answered. Plus, when you add in that there are currently 69 official threads and 8 events for Fanime 2011 it becomes several pages deep of active threads. So if you end up being buried several pages down then who will see your thread? So I'm moving you to the "Help me" thread in hopes of you getting an answer to your questions.
BSaphire
BSaphire
Cosplayer Gatherings Organizer 2005-2015
Cosplayer Gatherings Department Head 2009-2015
BSP - Cosplayer, Costumer, Photographer, Journalist
Founder:
AC   DC

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Ockman on January 29, 2011, 06:15:26 AM
I'm coming out to fanime from Wisconsin. I'm gonna be visiting a friend out there during the same weekend, and we plan on coming to the convention. I've never been to one of these conventions before, and I've never done cosplay before. I've been debating so much if I should cosplay, I want to because I would enjoy it if I could pull it off. The problem is I honestly can't think of a single character from a game or anime that I could pull off in terms of looks.

As it is, I don't know how well any costume I make, or buy parts for will turn out. Persona 4 is one of my favorite games ever, and for a while I just kept thinking maybe I could as the MC from P4.  Even if I make the perfect costume, I don't have the face for it. I don't have the good looks to pass off any anime style characters, nor am I Japanese.

I've been trying to think of other characters I like that aren't so Japanese, but the costumes become a little too elaborate for me to possibly construct. I'm trying to resist the idea of just buying a costume, because part of cosplaying is making the costume I always thought.

I know it's hard for anyone to possibly help me without knowing what I look like, and what my build is like. If anyone could give me some advice, and would like to try to help, please feel free to let me know! Perhaps I can show you what I look like, because I really could use some ideas on what someone thinks I could pull off.
*fangasm i love shin megami/persona series* ok ok now that thats done i say go for it whether you've got the face or not isnt a big thing i mean if you work really hard on the costume and you look decent as yourself (because we all know we usually dont look 100% like the charachters we do whether were asian or not or our skin color or whatever (ive had a few experiences at cons where people have looked at me like im a nothing cause i dont look just right or my body shape doesn't fit) but you just throw caution to the wind and do it seriously its so fun doing cosplay >:3 (and to all the people that think if you're not asian you shouldn't be cosplaying poop on you) but that costume seems pretty easy just get the right clothes a good wig and some glasses and youre ready to go (some modding on clothes that are similar to his would work best

Rank

Quote from: xichisex on January 22, 2011, 05:49:16 PM
So, I want to cosplay as young Hinata and as Seras Victoria  for FanimeCon 2011 and those require full white contacts [or gray] and red contacts with a small black pupil. I was wondering if I could get some good sites from other cosplayers from where they ordered their contacts or if you have cosplayed as these characters before where you got the contacts for them and if they were good.

I have a prescription for glasses and will have one soon for contacts, so I'm not worried about the new law involving prescriptions.

Thank you!

I can personally recommend this site, eXtreme SFX. Prices are great, and the lenses are comfortable (unless you're not used to wearing lenses at all). On that, I would highly recommend wearing whatever contact lenses you end up choosing at least a couple of weeks in advance of the Con. Trust me.

Coincidentally, I bought red contacts from them called "Dark Angel". I have had them for over a year, I wear them sparingly but upkeep them. They work good as new. Here is a picture with me wearing them. I have blue eyes but the iris is opaque, so it will look the same on all eye colors. These are non-prescription, so I cannot vouch for the accuracy of that.

There are a few reds, but these are the ones that would most suit Seras:
http://extremesfx.com/p-116-dark-angel.aspx
http://extremesfx.com/p-61-red-vampire.aspx
http://extremesfx.com/p-177-red-twilight.aspx  <-- really really popular, but I have heard they don't appear as bright on darker eye-colors.

You can Google and YouTube the color/name of most lenses and find people wearing them on all different colors of eyes.

As for gray/white... it's impossible to have completely white contacts that you will be able to see out of, and 'milky' contacts are extremely expensive, like, $300 expensive. 9mmfx has a few pairs of semi-opaque white, but I've seen most Hinatas go with:
http://extremesfx.com/p-71-manson.aspx (example: http://dawnb359.deviantart.com/art/hinata-cosplay-P-177762011?q=sort%3Atime+gallery%3Adawnb359&qo=3).

Hope that helped some, good luck on your hunt.

JewishCosplayer

So I have a 4ft x 6ft  Belarus flag, but I'm not sure how tall I should make the flag pole. I'm 5'8, and since I'll be wearing heels, I'll be about 5'9 or so. How tall would you recommend I make the pole? Thanks :)

ThunderMuffn

Quote from: Jerry on January 24, 2011, 04:24:30 PM

I just went to the Ewardian ball where a booth was selling these type of wig styles.

http://www.tessfelixhairdresser.com/pages/syntheticdreadlocks

hope you find what your looking for! Good Luck.

Was just talking about this on
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12828.msg406460.html#msg406460

That site has some nice pieces, but they can be made or got for less.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ArtemisArtemis

FireDracon

Im thinking of being pyramid head, but i feel im a little short at 5'5" so i was thinking of maybe some stilts to make myself taller. Anyone know of any good stilts or ways i can make myself taller?