The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Hodge Bodge

see if you can get liquid fiberglass to coat the foam. Or you try solid fiberglass blocks, carve them down and shape for you blade.

wear gloves, goggles and face protection working with fiberglass though.  Check out an industrial hardware store.

This is what a friend of mine did for a cosplay one year.
100% glomp friendly, Bring on the pain!  :X

Cartoon Lunatic

I hope i'm putting this post in the right place!

But I need some help with a jacket for a cosplay i'm working on. I plan to do Red Hood from the animated film, Batman: Under The Red Hood. All I really need now, Is the jacket. But how the heck do i obtain such a jacket? Is is made of leather? Leather would cost to much to commision. Basically what i really need to know, is there a place that specialzies in making jackets, and such other garments?

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/images/users/gallerypictures/9376L.JPG

Fanime 2011 Cosplays:
The Red Hood: 100% Complete
Rocket Grunt: 100% Complete
NOOB-SAIBOT: 90% Getting there!

username_error

At Cartoon Lunatic.
doesn't look like leather to me but check out biker jackets or bomber jackets.
Cosplays for Fanime-
Izaya Orihara Durarara 95% Done
Suit Izaya Durarara 75% Done
Aoba Kuronuma Durarara 90% done

Rcsi1

I'm going to be to be on the "Hetalia Budget Cooking" panel as Canada. I usually use my own hair but was told that in this setting, I need a wig. I've looked online and found that the wigs that look more like his hair than my own but they're currently outside of my budget (as I'm already spending a lot of money on the con hotel, and transportation fares). As I'm not used to looking for cosplay wigs because I use my own hair so much, does anyone know where I can get a reasonably priced Canada wig that's of decent quality?

If not, would any Canada cosplayers be willing to lend me their wigs for the panel? I can even pay so it would be renting rather than borrowing.

I was told I couldn't withdraw from the panel at this point so any advice would be very helpful. Thank you.
PASTAAAAAAAAAAA!

Cosplay plans for Fanime:

Character CD!France (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Military!Canada (Axis Powers Hetalia)
Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji)

cesspooloflight

Would anyone happen to know how I could make a Yasogami High School emblem patch from Persona 4? Also, how would I a dotted pattern for the jacket?

Reference:http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000026328

Yoko

Cosplay at FanimeCon (5/27-30 San Jose)?

Enjoy shopping of Cosplay outfits at
http://on.fb.me/hKS9Gh
and
http://bit.ly/hPrg8d

Please LIKE! us at j-Grab Fan Page ♡Arigato, Yoko♡

Chen-Yakumo

I bought this really cute Chinese kung-fu outfit from either Fanime last year or one of the SacAnimes and wanted to wear it again, but I don't know if any anime character actually wears the outfit.

http://ichigo-uchiha.deviantart.com/gallery/28566721#/d2rf9pw The outfit is #2

Or, if no one in an anime wears that type of costume, I might go as Madotsuki from Yume Nikki. Will I be known if I cosplay Madotsuki? (That's always my problem, I will cosplay characters that no one knows)
Cosplays planned for Fanime: Kinoshita Hideyoshi, Chen, to be decided.

Melly

hmm i'm not entirely sure if this is the correct thread to post this but;

any ideas on were to buy a basic/plain corset :v? or know a brand of nice shapewear? .A.

Nina Star 9

http://i56.tinypic.com/35li339.jpg

So. I'm in the middle of making that hammer (I'm using a craft foam + cheesecloth method, then covering it in some sort of lightweight clay for the texture and then painting it), but I have no clue what to do about the pole.

I'm thinking maybe PVC pipe (lightweight, sturdy), but I'm afraid it might bend, even though it won't be too long (under 6') and the hammer portion isn't all -that- heavy (though still unfinished). I'm afraid that a wooden pole might be too heavy for me to carry around half the day. Any advice?

Once I get a pole, I want to attach it in a way that it can be removed easily for transport. I was thinking that I could just make a chamber the same size as the end of the pole on the underside of my hammer, but I'm scared of it slipping off too easily. Any advice for that? Could I maybe pad out my pole on the top in order to give it a tighter fit but still make it removeable?

As for the clay, I want something that is air drying but very lightweight. I already have the three main ridges on the shell (built up out of my craft foam), so I just need to define them slightly and build up the spikes. I don't have a lot of clay experience, so I'd like some advice on that, as well.

...and speaking of clay (haha, I have too many questions!), I just thought of another problem. I was going to make the spiraly bit coming off of the bottom of the shell base and wrapping around the pole out of clay, as well. How would I attach that, and would it be sturdier to attach that to the pole itself or to the bottom of the shell? If I attatched it to the shell, it would help hold on the pole, I would think, but would be more delicate once I removed the hammer from the pole. If i attached it to the pole, I'm afraid of it falling off.

Oh God, and I have to figure out how to make those spikes on my armwarmers without poking myself in the eye with them. ;o;

thanks~~

username_error

Solution to problem one. Get PVC and put a thick dowel inside of it if you are worried about it bending. you can cover the hole at the bottom with cheesecloth and hot glue
Cosplays for Fanime-

Tangosucka

I'm in a process of cosplaying as Hunk from Resident Evil and I've reached to a dead end. I've managed to get the black BDU's (battle dress uniform), boots, gloves, helmet, knee & elbow pads, tactical pouches, belt, pistol holster (right thigh), and magazine/pouch holster (left thigh). However, I can't find an accurate gas mask, vest, tan shoulder pads, red reflective lenses, and props (pistol and tmp machine gun) to make it complete. I've went to my local military surplus stores and airsoft stores (I rarely trust ebay and other online stores-sorry, I get skeptical when I give out my credit card number and personal information) and I am STUCK and I am sad how I've gotten this far only to fall to a dead end.

If there are other Hunk cosplayers from the past or anyone that has any suggestions or answers to my situation, please let me know! :D

DivineVTDragon

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 24, 2011, 10:01:35 PM

I'm thinking maybe PVC pipe (lightweight, sturdy), but I'm afraid it might bend, even though it won't be too long (under 6') and the hammer portion isn't all -that- heavy (though still unfinished). I'm afraid that a wooden pole might be too heavy for me to carry around half the day. Any advice?

Use a thick dowel. They sell these at just about every craft store (I go to Michaels).

QuoteOnce I get a pole, I want to attach it in a way that it can be removed easily for transport. I was thinking that I could just make a chamber the same size as the end of the pole on the underside of my hammer, but I'm scared of it slipping off too easily. Any advice for that? Could I maybe pad out my pole on the top in order to give it a tighter fit but still make it removeable?

Use wood glue or any bonder really. Just make sure to sand it afterwords.

QuoteAs for the clay, I want something that is air drying but very lightweight. I already have the three main ridges on the shell (built up out of my craft foam), so I just need to define them slightly and build up the spikes. I don't have a lot of clay experience, so I'd like some advice on that, as well.

There are various "clays" you could use.

1) DAS airdray clay: works VERY well and light weight enough to carry around on top of a pole. It's a little bit on the expensive side ($8 for a bag). It dries relatively fast, so using gloves helps out the process a lot. Some problems I've encountered with it is that it tends to leave some bumps if you don't work at it well enough. Problem is fixed with light sanding though. Also, once it's dried you can't really add more on top of the dried clay (it'll slide right off).

2) Sculpy and other assorted brands: Light-wieght, easy to use, but requires you to bake it. It's $4 for a small square, so it's fairly expensive. I only use this for the small details like spikes/swirls/etc.

3) Craft Model Magic: The lightest substance you can get. When I say light, I mean paper light. It's not really clay, but it works just as well for sculpting/kneading. It's also not that expensive ($4 for a bag). Unlike DAS, you can continue to stack more of the product on already dried parts. The only problem is that it is difficult to use because it leaves bumps and will generally annoy you. It's also a tad bit difficult to sand because it's not really a hard product, but more like... dried foam. It takes about 2-3 days to dry, and even then it's still soft. The ways to counter these problems is to sand carefully and seal it after it becomes "hard."

There's one more which name eludes me, but it's basically DAS but better. As such it's more expensive ($11 a bag).

Quote...and speaking of clay (haha, I have too many questions!), I just thought of another problem. I was going to make the spiraly bit coming off of the bottom of the shell base and wrapping around the pole out of clay, as well. How would I attach that, and would it be sturdier to attach that to the pole itself or to the bottom of the shell? If I attatched it to the shell, it would help hold on the pole, I would think, but would be more delicate once I removed the hammer from the pole. If i attached it to the pole, I'm afraid of it falling off.

Of the clays I mentioned, both sculpy and model magic works fine with the wrapping. I would just make the whole shell connected to the pole via clay (after attaching it properly of course) to make it one big hammer (or were you looking to make it into 2 parts?)

QuoteOh God, and I have to figure out how to make those spikes on my armwarmers without poking myself in the eye with them. ;o;

Model Magic, it won't hurt much if you poke yourself with it.

Nina Star 9

Thanks for all the tips!

For the pole, do they make wooden dowels long enough? I've only seen the short (2-3") kind, not ones 6" tall like I need.

And yes, I'd like the shell part of the hammer removeable from the pole for easier trandport and storage. Any ideas on how to make it so I can take it off when I need but so it will stay on when it is on?

DivineVTDragon

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 27, 2011, 07:13:26 PM
Thanks for all the tips!

For the pole, do they make wooden dowels long enough? I've only seen the short (2-3") kind, not ones 6" tall like I need.

And yes, I'd like the shell part of the hammer removeable from the pole for easier trandport and storage. Any ideas on how to make it so I can take it off when I need but so it will stay on when it is on?

I would just buy two and bond them together via wood glue.

That is a tricky one (I don't have much expertise in removable staffs), but how I would do it would be to use a dremmel and sand down the pole end/hammer base to make a niche for the pole and hammer and connect them. Though this process takes more time and effort. Shouldn't be TOO hard if you use the clay and make an indentation on where to attach the two.

username_error

I wouldn't use wood glue. Wood glue and duct tape or something around the outside helping support it.
Cosplays for Fanime-

DivineVTDragon

Quote from: username_error on April 27, 2011, 08:33:07 PM
I wouldn't use wood glue. Wood glue and duct tape or something around the outside helping support it.

Not sure if that's right, but you just stated not to use wood glue, then advocated using it.

Anyway, duct tape makes things look "last minute" shoddy, and it is VERY hard to paint over it. I would refrain from using it unless you have to. Wood glue when sanded down bonds items tightly together and is easily painted over.

Melly

ok i need help in modifying a dress ;a;

ok so... i'm deciding on which Hachi cosplay to do, i could always fix my last years shirt, or i can do a new one. which i pretty have two choices i wanna do. and one im leaning more towards @.@

basically i need to make this dress;

and you see i actually made a yellow dress KIND OF like that in high school

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/3162/dress005.jpg

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/8286/dress004.jpg

i realize the dress i made isnt as uh.. rounded, but that doesnt really bother me much.

what i need help with is how to uh.. fake the wrap-around-ness of the dress.

i was thinking i could just roundishly cut where i'd have the bow then sew ribbons on top of it and then have like some rounded cut off ness at the bottom (where the "wrap" would meet)

but i'm not 100% sure. i really don't wanna mess with the upper part of the dress cause i dont remember how to sew well LOL.

sorry the ref was huge ;A;;

username_error

Quote from: DivineVTDragon on April 27, 2011, 11:03:02 PM
Quote from: username_error on April 27, 2011, 08:33:07 PM

Not sure if that's right, but you just stated not to use wood glue, then advocated using it.

Anyway, duct tape makes things look "last minute" shoddy, and it is VERY hard to paint over it. I would refrain from using it unless you have to. Wood glue when sanded down bonds items tightly together and is easily painted over.

I forgot to say "just' wood glue. And this is going inside for a support so who cares if it looks shotty?
Cosplays for Fanime-

Charis

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 27, 2011, 07:13:26 PM

Home Despot and similar places sell longer wooden poles -- I got a 1" diametre one for this halberd and it hardly weighs much of anything -- I think it's actually lighter than an equivalent piece of PVC would be.  (That's about 6 1/2 feet tall, for reference, and cut down from what they sell.)
For me, I attached that halberd head with some heavy-duty magnets (one set on the inside of the halberd head, one set inset into the pole itself), which might work for you.  Depending on the angles, you could also possibly try to peg it together.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Rebeccakh

Quote from: cesspooloflight on April 14, 2011, 03:26:57 PM
Would anyone happen to know how I could make a Yasogami High School emblem patch from Persona 4? Also, how would I a dotted pattern for the jacket?

Reference:http://www.cospa.com/detail/id/00000026328
for the dots i would try using fabric paint and paint them on (very carefully) if youre hard pressed and cant find a fabric or somthing that has the pattern same for the patch just paint it really nice and you should be good to go