The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

AnimefanJJ

Stitcher here(hand sewer) if you have any questions on hand sewing im me or just quote me here.
Banned for breaking promises - http://forums.fanime.com/index.php?topic=17617

Umbrallina

U-uh.. hi ... this is my first time cosplaying something with alittle tiny bit more effort...

im cosplaying Stocking from Panty Stocking and Garterbelt... the Fly away version...

and uhm her stocking..

as shown here -->

oh... sorry if the image is too large... im not good at internet shortcuts....

uhm... anyways... her stocking sock...

i bought thigh high white socks already and was planning to cut the actual foot part and wear that...

but the question is.... uhm.. how do i go about getting the wide blue stripes on it....

ive researched and looked for thigh high wide striped blue socks.. but none of them fit the criteria...

and ive also looked into dyeing... but it would be impossible to get to be a perfect line...

and ive been thinking maybe getting acrylic paint + fabric medium and painting it on? ... but ive never done it before and dont want to fail...

any tips or help please? c:

Charis

Quote from: Umbrallina on June 28, 2011, 01:59:05 AMand ive been thinking maybe getting acrylic paint + fabric medium and painting it on? ... but ive never done it before and dont want to fail...

any tips or help please? c:

Use painter's tape to mark your lines -- that'll give you a crisper edge than (usually) just freehanding will.  Also, make absolutely sure you get a fabric paint that will stretch if the sock will be stretched around your leg (which it looks like it is).  In your shoes, I'd mark (very lightly, with a chalk pen or fade-away marker) where each line should go while I was wearing the sock and then slide it over cardboard or suchlike to keep it taut and from sticking to itself while I painted.

If you're cutting the foot off the sock, make sure to hem it so that it doesn't unravel further -- and you can always use the cut-off bit to test your paints out -- see if you have to worry about things like wicking, how stretchy it'll be after, etc.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

FireDracon

Im thinking of going to be cosplaying something rather difficult. Well least i think its difficult. Im planning on being one of the knights from White knight Chronicles. Either the White Knight or the Dragon knight. Images below. Was wondering how i should do the armor. Was thinking Cardboard. but was wondering if there was something better. that wont get ruined during transportation.

Rebeccakh

Quote from: FireDracon on August 03, 2011, 06:30:06 PM
Im thinking of going to be cosplaying something rather difficult. Well least i think its difficult. Im planning on being one of the knights from White knight Chronicles. Either the White Knight or the Dragon knight. Images below. Was wondering how i should do the armor. Was thinking Cardboard. but was wondering if there was something better. that wont get ruined during transportation.
I'd say wonderflex plastic (look it up you can buy it online)
orrr you can use craft foam :D you can buy it at walmart for 5$ a pack and there's tutorials online on how to do it
craft foam is lighter, wonderflex is sturdier but a little more pricey but they will both give you a better armor look than cardboard

ThunderMuffn

Quote from: Charis on June 30, 2011, 11:07:21 AMAlso, make absolutely sure you get a fabric paint that will stretch if the sock will be stretched around your leg (which it looks like it is).  In your shoes, I'd mark (very lightly, with a chalk pen or fade-away marker) where each line should go while I was wearing the sock and then slide it over cardboard or suchlike to keep it taut and from sticking to itself while I painted.
I think the paint you use will make a big difference here: liquid paints that you apply via brush tend not to stretch as well as the aerosol spray-on paints. For these, I'm speaking of fabric paint only: you might be able to use generic old spray paint, but I have no good experiences with the stuff!

FireDracon

im looking for someone in the 707 area that might be able to help me make my costume. i decided to go with the dragon knight. casue well it looks bad ass.

RowanRavensong

Hello all. I am going to cosplay Hello Kitty for Samhain... Halloween (I more or less use to calling it Samhain sorry if I refer to it as that.). Anyway so I am getting the costume from Spirit. There was one I wanted to do last year, but this year I lost a bet and now I am obligated to wear it (even in front of my parents.). I even have to go out and about on Samhain dressed like this. I mean I dont have a problem with it because I will be in a more open minded area of town.

I was wonderig if a costume from Spirit REALLY counts as a "Cosplay."
I ask so that if it is approved so I can wear it to Fanime.

I will paste the picture below but let me embelish my few changes. Ok so I am going to wear the initial costume, but I am going to wear shear white (OR Ideally Soft or Baby Pink) Ruffle Butt shorts, and white GoGo boots (If I can find it I will attach a red bow to each boot.) Of course I will paint whiskers on myself to more capture the effect.

So what do you guys think?
And here is the picture;

maikiritori

First and foremost, I don't think the costume pictured will be an issue. I would be careful with the sheer white as it may end up showing some naughty bits.
Next, the word cosplay is just short for "costume play", so any costume can be cosplay. Having said that, there are some cosplayers out there that are a little bit snooty; if you didn't make it, it's not really cosplay. Don't listen to the snooty ones, because ANY costume can be cosplay.
If you have any other questions, or are just looking for ideas, the Cosplay Help Me! thread (can be found here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,13581.0.html ) is really useful. And, of course there is always the very important...

The Weapons and Peace Bonding and Costume Policy, which can be found here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16577.0.html

I hope this helps. If you have any problems, questions or just want to hang out during con; please stop by the Cosplayer Gatherings Department table or the Cosplayer Hangout. ;) We'll be glad to have you.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

RowanRavensong

haha well thats a bit of help but here....;
QuoteI would be careful with the sheer white as it may end up showing some naughty bits.
Uhm almost any leggings on me will be sheer, haha I have bigger legs, not thunder thighs... but I have strong legs, I use to do Ballet, and then moved for 2 years of Tai Chi (I did it so I force my body against itself I tense up when I do Tai Chi to get some strength in it as Master taught me to do). So I have some muscle haha.

But of course I will cover up the "naughties" of the costume. I mean I am secure with myself, but not so secure as to have another "Man-Fay" Incident (I dont know if you were there for that- or have even heard of it, but it DID happen at Fanime lol)

And of course I dont listen to the snoots. I kinda just blow them off more often than not. Although I am guilty of being a snoot when someone just tosses something together and does not put any heart into it. I just told them "You call that Cosplay? Put some heart and pride into your work, it does not even have to be expensive."
But thats the farthest I will go as being a snootie snoot.

Anyway yeah, thanks, that was a good bit of info. IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE THIS A BIT LESS "NAUGHTY" LET ME KNOW! =D
(P.S I will not take answers like "dont wear it", "dress your own gender", or "just wear pants"

BunofGovt

If you're worried about under the skirt, you could always wear some puffy bloomer shorts underneath.  That might give the skirt a little more flounciness, too.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

maikiritori

bahamutknightzero

Regarding the leggings problem, have you considered tights (kind of like the ones they sell at American Apparel which are solid and don't show skin)?

Glitch

As long as you behave yourself, it's all good.

kagome437

Hey i posted this under the "looking for.." 2012 thread but was directed to post this piece here, I'm hoping someone can help me. so here i go.

My second Cosplay is the one I'm worried about the most this year. It will be the first time I've taken on something this difficult. (note: I'm still a newbie). I will be cosplaying as Majeh from King of Hell. his envoy version that shows up in the first 2 books (alternate coloring)(pictures at bottom) . This has been over a year project. I'm fearful of traveling with such an overly styled wig. so any tips for traveling with it would be helpful. (we are driving if that helps). Also any tips for styling would be great because I'm working with an cosworx Ivy wig, that i have just dyed to the perfect color and am still trying to figure out how to make his hair arc. the difficulty I'm having with his hair, i would like it to look like his hair, but still retain its movement that it shows inside the book.
so any and all advice is much appreciated.

(cute little collage i made of his hair angles) >_<

MikuMayhem

Quote from: RowanRavensong on September 03, 2011, 08:30:59 AM
Anyway yeah, thanks, that was a good bit of info. IF YOU CAN THINK OF ANYTHING I CAN DO TO MAKE THIS A BIT LESS "NAUGHTY" LET ME KNOW! =D
(P.S I will not take answers like "dont wear it", "dress your own gender", or "just wear pants"

As BunofGovt said, I'm sure bloomers would work, and if you combined those with white stockings or tights under the bloomers, I'm sure it would be fine (even the sheer ones). You could probably even find ruffly bloomers. (which, you know, I will be totally jealous of~ xD )

Good luck~

BunofGovt

Quote from: kagome437 on September 06, 2011, 04:06:39 PM
Hey i posted this under the "looking for.." 2012 thread but was directed to post this piece here, I'm hoping someone can help me. so here i go.

My second Cosplay is the one I'm worried about the most this year. It will be the first time I've taken on something this difficult. (note: I'm still a newbie). I will be cosplaying as Majeh from King of Hell. his envoy version that shows up in the first 2 books (alternate coloring)(pictures at bottom) . This has been over a year project. I'm fearful of traveling with such an overly styled wig. so any tips for traveling with it would be helpful. (we are driving if that helps). Also any tips for styling would be great because I'm working with an cosworx Ivy wig, that i have just dyed to the perfect color and am still trying to figure out how to make his hair arc. the difficulty I'm having with his hair, i would like it to look like his hair, but still retain its movement that it shows inside the book.

I'm new to styling wigs so I hope someone else will chime in with advice.  Try this first with someone else's hair or another wig.  Ladies used to get their hair in a bouffant style by 'ratting' it.  Take a section of hair, hold it straight up with one hand, then use a comb in the other hand to lightly comb down one side of the section of hair.  This creates a sort of rat's nest affect.  The rat's nest becomes the base or support, and then smooth the top layer of hair over it. Spray to hold in place.

OR

Can you try putting something like a styrofoam block or paper cone as a base under the hair, and then glue or use doublesided tape to hold the hair in place?  I'm not sure I described that too clearly, sorry.  I've seen it in a magazine.  Get something that is the shape of the arc you want and cover it glue or tape, then carefully lay the hair on top of that.  I don't know if you'd be able to get the 'shape' under the hair enough so you could glue it.  In the magazine, they actually had hair from a second wig I think to cover with, and then attached the whole piece on the first wig.

maikiritori

Quote from: BunofGovt on September 16, 2011, 10:13:40 PM
Quote from: kagome437 on September 06, 2011, 04:06:39 PM

I'm new to styling wigs so I hope someone else will chime in with advice.  Try this first with someone else's hair or another wig.  Ladies used to get their hair in a bouffant style by 'ratting' it.  Take a section of hair, hold it straight up with one hand, then use a comb in the other hand to lightly comb down one side of the section of hair.  This creates a sort of rat's nest affect.  The rat's nest becomes the base or support, and then smooth the top layer of hair over it. Spray to hold in place.

OR

Can you try putting something like a styrofoam block or paper cone as a base under the hair, and then glue or use doublesided tape to hold the hair in place?  I'm not sure I described that too clearly, sorry.  I've seen it in a magazine.  Get something that is the shape of the arc you want and cover it glue or tape, then carefully lay the hair on top of that.  I don't know if you'd be able to get the 'shape' under the hair enough so you could glue it.  In the magazine, they actually had hair from a second wig I think to cover with, and then attached the whole piece on the first wig.

You could also paint the base (if you're using Styrofoam or paper) to the same color as the wig. It'll save you monies in the long run, as extra wigs or pony falls could cost some major moolah.

Ruiichu

excuse me! Does anyone here know how to attach a BIG hollow tail to a costume? x.x

it's kinda like this... --->

the outfit im wearing in like a one piece boyshort styled swimsuit thing >: ! thank you!!

BunofGovt

re the Zekrom's tail:  this is the Pokemon character?  In the picture I googled, it looks like there is another section from his rear end into the opening.  Unless it's his tail that goes into the opening (like it's a cover of some kind for the tail).  The connecting section makes it resemble a mushroom (stem part, then the cap/tail) of sorts (not really but just so I get the general idea of the shape).  You may have to build the connecting section and then add belt straps of some kind to hold it in place.  I can't imagine that you'd be able to just sew it on.  Would you be able to manage attaching it to a pair of shorts, then putting on the shorts?