The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Ruiichu

Quote from: BunofGovt on October 04, 2011, 08:42:14 PM
re the Zekrom's tail:  this is the Pokemon character?  In the picture I googled, it looks like there is another section from his rear end into the opening.  Unless it's his tail that goes into the opening (like it's a cover of some kind for the tail).  The connecting section makes it resemble a mushroom (stem part, then the cap/tail) of sorts (not really but just so I get the general idea of the shape).  You may have to build the connecting section and then add belt straps of some kind to hold it in place.  I can't imagine that you'd be able to just sew it on.  Would you be able to manage attaching it to a pair of shorts, then putting on the shorts?

Ah its a ginjinka that i made xD. Hm a belt huh? Yeah i assumed that having the connecting plug thing would make it too difficult but i guess from the sounds of it its nessicary? oof x.x i dont think i could do shorts... it wouldnt make my cosplay look as clean in my design but that would have been a good idea... looks like ill have to redraw my bottom to make sure it attachs well xD ( Thanks for the belt idea : D i just have to find a way to hide it somehow!)

maikiritori

Quote from: Ruiichu on October 05, 2011, 12:02:52 PM
Ah its a ginjinka that i made xD. Hm a belt huh? Yeah i assumed that having the connecting plug thing would make it too difficult but i guess from the sounds of it its nessicary? oof x.x i dont think i could do shorts... it wouldnt make my cosplay look as clean in my design but that would have been a good idea... looks like ill have to redraw my bottom to make sure it attachs well xD ( Thanks for the belt idea : D i just have to find a way to hide it somehow!)
Maybe you could make a kind of belt-type harness (I'm thinking of something similar to what climbers use) to wear under outfit. If you use the right kind of materials, and have the clasps in places that are more easily hidden (back by the tail area, inner thigh (back part of inner thigh) area) and you have a kind of flow-y skirt to cover the lumps... You'd end up with a sturdy support for the tail and connector piece, a fairly clean looking bottom for the outfit, and it would somewhat fit with the pokemon basis for your ginjinka.
Cosplay Gatherings Department Second 2010-2015
Cosplay Gatherings Department Staff 2009

tehesillytoast

So I am looking to create an amazing costume for the character Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars the Clone Wars. However I am a beginner at cosplaying and don't quite know where to begin exactly :( Can anyone point me in a positive direction?

If you follow the link it has a picture of the back. (im looking to create her season 3-4 outfit)
http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/characters/ahsokatano/#!/about

Phantom Roxas

I typically don't make costumes, as I rather buy them. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a cosplay of Vanitas from Kingdom Hearts?

Ruiichu

ah hello again this thread >:
looks like im havin another problem lol... [thank you bunofgovt for the help on the last one]

so i made a sword out of hard board and then covered it in paper mache... only to find out later when i painted it that its quite uneven and i can see the lines where the papers overlap and stuff... i was wondering... is there something i can put over the sword? i dunno i heard paper clay is smooth and nice?  But im not sure if i should or not x.x [if you need more details or even pictures im happy to provide x:]

amaya_JDB

I'm trying to do a Shigure cosplay (from Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple) and I have no clue what to do with the zig-zag eyebrows most of the characters have. And also she has a very short outfit, so if I wore something thin underneath so my you-know-what isn't showing would that look weird?

http://kenichi.wikia.com/wiki/Shigure_Kosaka (her eyebrows aren't shown very well here >.> but it's the best pic I can get without it being fan-base hentai)
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

kane64

Okay, so I have a friend of mine who really wants to do a Gundam Suit. But he wants to make it look legit, so no cardboard or cheap plastics.
Anybody have some suggestions to help out, like where to go to get supplies, how to make molds or who is willing to help out with the build??
Here is a basic model for reference for those who don't know what I am talking about.
(as if someone on here wouldn't know what a Gundam is)
"I'm addicted to Star Trek
"I'm a Klingon speaking federation freak
"I find I'm more inclined
"To spend the bulk of my time
"On the starship Enterprise
"Than talking to girls I meet"
-Deaf Pedestrians

BunofGovt

Quote from: amaya_JDB on October 29, 2011, 03:09:18 AM
I'm trying to do a Shigure cosplay (from Kenichi: The Mightiest Disciple) and I have no clue what to do with the zig-zag eyebrows most of the characters have. And also she has a very short outfit, so if I wore something thin underneath so my you-know-what isn't showing would that look weird?

http://kenichi.wikia.com/wiki/Shigure_Kosaka (her eyebrows aren't shown very well here >.> but it's the best pic I can get without it being fan-base hentai)

I think you could either shave your eyebrows or cover them with some kind of foundation make up to make them almost unnoticeable. Then use an eyebrow pencil or liner to draw the zig zag pattern on, if not the pencil type, then the fine brush type (like a tiny paintbrush) .  Try going to a makeup counter at a department store like Macy's or Nordstrom's and see if one of the staff can assist you with the proper foundation or cover-up type make up.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

heeroyuy135

I'm planning on cosplaying from Anime!Producer-san from THE iDOLM@STER. I got everything down except for the tie. The problem I'm having is keeping the stripes on the knot if I use a traditional tie. Would a clip-on tie or a zip-up tie be more effective here?

MikuMayhem

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on November 04, 2011, 10:14:53 PM
I'm planning on cosplaying from Anime!Producer-san from THE iDOLM@STER. I got everything down except for the tie. The problem I'm having is keeping the stripes on the knot if I use a traditional tie. Would a clip-on tie or a zip-up tie be more effective here?

I don't have a whole lot of experience with either kind of ties (I usually just use normal ties), and none at all with the clip-on ones, but I'd think that the zip up one would stay on better. Also, seeing as you don't have to tie or untie either, however the stripes are on the knot won't change. I guess it all comes down to whether you can find a zip up (or clip-on, really) one in the right colors and stripe width and whatnot... 

Rebeccakh

Quote from: amaya_JDB on October 29, 2011, 03:09:18 AM

What you do is get stick glue (yes the stuff you used in kindergarden) and cover your eyebrows in it, let it dry then cover with foundation. It'll hide them really well

Rebeccakh

Quote from: tehesillytoast on October 20, 2011, 02:36:54 PM
So I am looking to create an amazing costume for the character Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars the Clone Wars. However I am a beginner at cosplaying and don't quite know where to begin exactly :( Can anyone point me in a positive direction?

If you follow the link it has a picture of the back. (im looking to create her season 3-4 outfit)
http://www.starwars.com/explore/encyclopedia/characters/ahsokatano/#!/about
First you'll have to either be really tan or get costume makeup for her orange skin (or you could get that rub on fake tan stuff lol)
I'm not sure what you'd do about her head tentacles but research techniques for doing stuff like that it'll give you good ideas.

Find clothes that look similar to hers and modify, like her pants? Get some grey leggings and cut the shapes out on the side because its easier to mod pre existing clothing than buying a bunch of fabric and trying to make it yourself your first time.

And above all don't give up, don't procrastinate, and don't worry! Even if you do an ok job, people will still like your costume if you try your hardest. (The people at fanime are the nicest i've met at cons <3 )  and if anyone tries to tell you your costume is ugly or make you feel bad, they're either snooty cosplayers or mean hecklers.

LadyGlitterbow

Quote from: ShadowRoxas on October 21, 2011, 01:59:34 PM
I typically don't make costumes, as I rather buy them. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy a cosplay of Vanitas from Kingdom Hearts?

I would check out the marketplace on cosplay.com cause people are always selling gently used cosplays, especially from Kingdom Hearts. If you are lucky you might find something on a deal! If not, there are also ads on that site to get a commissioned cosplay. Good luck!

Rin_chan

Making my cosplay for the first time this year, pretty much sewing it all myself which I've never done, but think I can handle it. But I do have a few questions about body armor, I have no idea how to start it or what I should use and how to make it look nice.

Does anyone know any good websites or other cosplay forums I could get good info on?

azreale

Fanime '14:::

Sango (Inuyasha)
Vivaldi (HnKnA)
Tsubaki (Future Diary)
003 (Cyborg 009)
Chaika (Hitsugi no chaika)
Goth Annie (League of Legends)
Ashura (Tsubasa)
Catwoman (maybe)

Rin_chan

Quote from: azreale on November 28, 2011, 12:04:59 AM
http://jiajem.com/tutorials/armor/ I really like this method of making nice looking, lightweight armor

That's really awesome, I never thought of using that stuff before. Thanks :3

sickeningsweet

I apologize if my posts are tiring or ridiculous sounding... BUT, I am also going as my own OC during Fanime. She is a semi-gothic/victorian geisha. My only issue is finding a name for her. The costume is altogether, but the name is not. Any suggestions??? ???

sickeningsweet

tea

Would anyone happen to know a simple way to sew on dragon "spines" down the middle of a sweatshirt hood? Do I just take a scissor to the hood and..cut?

Aaaa sorry if the answer is obvious! I have no..skill in sewing..at all..

amaya_JDB

Having a dilemma here. Ok....so my fiance is currently trying to lose weight to cosplay Sebastian (Black Butler/Kuroshitsuji) but it's gonna be a while (maybe a couple years). Until then I'm figuring out who to cosplay to work with him. I'm too tall for Ciel (5' vs 5' 7" >.>;;; ), so I'm stuck between Grell and Mey-Rin. But...if height shouldn't play a factor then I'm stick with THREE choices.

Here's me:
http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af108/amaya_JDB/198208_10150116712639081_562139080_6468214_8319719_n-1.jpg
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>