The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

CommandantCat

Well it seems like I can't find feathers thick enough for a good full winged look I have designed, but, my search goes on! I have found a forum or two that will help with the base design, but thank you though! Any help is well appreciated.
COMMANDANT CAT
----
Cosplay, Art, and Costuming
=
Kuroshitsuji - William T. Spears
Homestuck - Gamzee Maraka (jester!Gamzee)
Originals - Mad Hatter, Evil Angel

Maskenlav

You can always go hunting and pluck them out ;D LOL good luck! Hope to see a fellow winged cosplayer :)
"I'll do it! I'll marry you!"

CommandantCat

I only hope this is the correct place to drop this post, but I am looking for a little cosplay help, hopefully from a fellow Homestucker.

I am going to be cosplaying an original Gamzee from Homestuck at 2012, and I am still looking for the best brand of make-up / pricing of the makeup. I have had cheap halloween store quality in the past, and it tends to chip away as the day goes on.  I was told Ben Nye was a good product, any confirmations of previous troll cosplayers?

Also. If you had Gamzee on a stage, for a couple minutes, what song would you like to hear him sing? Because I am bringing a banjo or mandolin...

And the horns man, how do I keep them on, they just.. keep... tilting...
yeah... yeah..
COMMANDANT CAT
----
=

keitoghostie

Ben Nye is excellent, I've used it to cosplay Nepeta and had no problems with it. I'm pretty sure I didn't get grey on anyone and it looked very nice (although the cadaver grey color did show up as being a bit pinkish in some photos)
It was about $9 for 0.5oz of it which doesn't sound like a lot but it goes a LONG way. I used it for three days of cosplay and I probably only used 1/5 of what was in there (although I only used it on my face, neck, chest, and forearms)!!

Hanyaan's tutorial is a great one to follow for applying Gamzee's makeup!! In the info bar in the video she has her tutorial for creating general troll makeup!
It might be a good idea to buy the makeup now as opposed to closer to fanime because I'd heard a lot of people say when they tried to order or buy it, the color(s) they needed were all sold out.

As far as the horns, you might want to add a bit of weight in the opposite direction of where they're tilting (such as adding a bit of clay to the base to balance things out) OR you could remake the horns with a more lightweight material (styrofoam works excellently)

I can't think of any songs right now??? dang sorry!

I hope this all was helpful though!

CommandantCat

Quote from: keitoghostie on January 28, 2012, 02:13:30 PM
Ben Nye is excellent, I've used it to cosplay Nepeta and had no problems with it. I'm pretty sure I didn't get grey on anyone and it looked very nice (although the cadaver grey color did show up as being a bit pinkish in some photos)
It was about $9 for 0.5oz of it which doesn't sound like a lot but it goes a LONG way. I used it for three days of cosplay and I probably only used 1/5 of what was in there (although I only used it on my face, neck, chest, and forearms)!!

Alright awesome! I had no idea on the pricing so that is actually a lot better than I expected!

Hanyaan's tutorial is a great one to follow for applying Gamzee's makeup!! In the info bar in the video she has her tutorial for creating general troll makeup!
It might be a good idea to buy the makeup now as opposed to closer to fanime because I'd heard a lot of people say when they tried to order or buy it, the color(s) they needed were all sold out.

Okay wow, the tutorial was really helpful, and yeah for sure, I am ordering it with my Tavros as soon as possible, we just had to see the pricing and how much but now I have a much clearer idea :D

As far as the horns, you might want to add a bit of weight in the opposite direction of where they're tilting (such as adding a bit of clay to the base to balance things out) OR you could remake the horns with a more lightweight material (styrofoam works excellently)

Oh well, I have my horns already, they are a little banged up from a party but they are actually being painted with a finishing seal now, a foam base with simple mache and paint. Decent. My only issue is attaching them either to the wig or on the headband I set up.. it will be both I am assuming now.

I can't think of any songs right now??? dang sorry!

And OH no worries >u> I am actually writing a bard's song like one from Skyrim. Oh so classy.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP, LINKS AND PRICING!
COMMANDANT CAT
----
=

MidnightPrincess94

please do comment, i would like a good decent honest opinion :D
and please no harsh words...  :'(

Haunterluvcookies

Me as hungary would say: SO CUTE! I want to hug! My Chibitalia! (not a creeper I swear)

Me would say: I think you should go for it, if you sound like the character than that makes you perfect for the role. Thats awsome, I can only slightly do a british accent.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

MidnightPrincess94

thank you! im very tempted to do so! as for you i will definitely do it whn we meet up. lol ^u^

Haunterluvcookies

Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Haunterluvcookies

So I got a huge question. I am trying to make a belt and a collar piece look like metal or shiny. Also I am trying to make the shoulder armor look 3D, I plan on using foam and paper mache and other things. Is that the right idea or is there any other things I could use or do to make it 3D. Iam so new at amor making so nothing to crazy, I don't know weilding or carving. I just need some serious help... I will include pics. PLEASE HELP!!!! Thank you...

Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

robertpatrician

I'm looking to purchase either a complete anime costume or a few pieces to augment other outfits (Such as renfaire gear).  Could someone please recommend an online shop that has a good selection and good service?  Much appreciated.

robertpatrician

I'd appreciate the community's input on what online stores are the best for purchase of cosplay equipment.  I'm looking to augment my various outfit (renfaire gear with mask) with a large anime wig, possibly pick up a complete outfit.  What stores would you recommend for selection and service?

robozombisaurus

When I bought cosplays I would always go to qqcosplay. Just because I could trust them and know I was getting quality work. Also if they do not have the cosplay you want you can always commission it, they are very friendly.
Pinkie pie- my little pony
Missing no. Snorlax & Sylveon- Pokemon
Lumpy space princess- Adventure time
Stocking,geek boy(gender bent)- panty and stocking

Takumaru

Will there be any guilty crown cosplayers this year.  Im going to be cosplaying Ouma Shu.  Would love to meet and hang with other GC lovers =)

Talia Does RP

I'm probably going to go as Nomiya (complete with "Ask me about ruining my student's lives!" sign taped to his back) for at least one day.  Is anyone else going as a character from Katawa Shoujo?  A meet-up would be kind of cool.
2023 tabletop staff, author, professional GM.  Ask me about Lancer, Valor, Bliss Stage, and Isekai/Online.

KyuuBob

-kip.

amaya_JDB

Trying to cosplay Mey-Rin from Kuroshitsuji but I'm not sure about the eye color. I did research and I guess her eyes are supposed to be red, but the anime shows it being brown. So...should I get red contacts, brown ones, or is it not that important and just stick with my dark brown/black eyes?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Haunterluvcookies

Hello everyone! I calling out all cosplayers for Fanime 2012. I want to know what costume and series your coming as? Special things about your costume? Or how your costume is coming along? I am very curious about this and would love to know. Thanks.

For me I plan on cosplaying three series: Hetalia, Bleach, and Saint Seiya.

For hetalia I plan on being Romano, Hungary for sure.

For Bleach I plan on being the cute, adorable Wonderweiss.

And For Saint Seiya I plan on being Shun/Hades.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Dany

It's all still coming together, but I'll throw it into some form of format:

D'Eon de Beaumont - Le Chevalier D'Eon. He was finished last year but only worn twice, so I want to get some more use out of him.

Either Emeraldas from Queen Emeraldas or Miime from Captain Harlock. One of these will be worn for the Friday Old School Gathering/Leiji Matsumoto gathering.

Oscar from Rose of Versailles. I started her last year, and I'm working now to have her finished in time for AOD and therefore Fanime. I don't know when I'll have time to wear her though. I'll figure that out as things get closer.

Yuria from Fist of the North Star - Ken's Rage - I'll start her after I finish Oscar. So very exited to work on this!!

MAYBE Grell from Black Butler, if I can get his coat finished and a slightly better wig, but Yuria needs to be taken care of first, because of Reasons (i.e. I've only been wanting to make the dang dress since FOREVER).
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

sugarpunch18

Awesome! I'm cosplaying for three days with my friend and lil sis! Our cosplays are as follows~

FMA:
Me ~ Trisha Elric
Sis ~ Fem!Ling Yao
Friend ~ Winry Rockbell (Travel Gear)

Durarara!!:
Me ~ Fem!Shizuo Heiwajima
Sis ~ Fem!Izaya Orihara
Friend ~ Fem!Masaomi Kida

Skip Beat! (LoveMe Uniforms):
Me ~ Kyoko Mogami
Sis ~ Kanae Kotonami (Moko-san)
Friend ~ Chiori Amamiya