The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

kohana ichibana

I am looking for this specific Bleach coat. It's Captain Yoruichi's uniform. I'm having trouble finding just this piece without the outfit. If anyone knows any good websites that would have this let me know :3

Otherwise I may need advice on making it myself.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

ikowashite

(I'm not sure if this is the right section, so move this thread if necessary.)

This year will be my first time going to Fanime, and it'll also be my first time cosplaying. I already have a majority of my cosplay complete, and the only thing I have left is to sew the dress. (I bought a pre-made pattern, but I plan on altering it.) My big question here is: In your opinion, is it better to stay true to the outfit(s) Chii actually wears in the anime, or is it perfectly fine for me to design my own dress that has a lot of elements inspired by Chii? (I plan on Frankensteining different elements from Chii's various dresses.)

sushisoap

Yes please, to both chibitalia and romano!! >w< I would love to get pictures with two of my most favorite grandchildren! We should definitely get a family group together. I'm just.. sensing the family portraiture that'll be going on. No one is going to be serious. Ever. 

Updating on steampunk Iggy, I got my base vest AND pants today, a huge success! My gf found this really nifty lock and key set... She wants me to inset the lock over my heart, and she as America wants to keep the key on a necklace. I squeed.

Quote@kohana ichibana
Otherwise I may need advice on making it myself.
Never fear, it seems pretty simple. If you look closely at it and the seams, you can see from the back that there are only a few pieces. Two back panels, Two sleeves, probably only two front panels, and a collar. That's just 7 pieces of fabric to be stuck together. ^w^ (Easier said than done though..)

MidnightPrincess94

QuoteYes please, to both chibitalia and romano!! >w< I would love to get pictures with two of my most favorite grandchildren! We should definitely get a family group together. I'm just.. sensing the family portraiture that'll be going on. No one is going to be serious. Ever. 

SWEEEEEEETTT!!! ths is gonna be the best family reunion ever!!! >w<

Haunterluvcookies

Quote from: sushisoap on February 11, 2012, 11:56:42 PM
Yes please, to both chibitalia and romano!! >w< I would love to get pictures with two of my most favorite grandchildren! We should definitely get a family group together. I'm just.. sensing the family portraiture that'll be going on. No one is going to be serious. Ever. 

I can't wait to meet you. Its going to be the best because we are awsome. Rome and the italies, best family ever.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Suzymofo

Who's doing it?
I must know.
I'm really leaning towards doing Daenerys, and it would be rad if others did characters as well.
Thoughts?

Laggy

Quote from: Suzymofo on February 12, 2012, 07:43:56 PM
Who's doing it?
I must know.
I'm really leaning towards doing Daenerys, and it would be rad if others did characters as well.
Thoughts?

I won't be cosplaying this year, as I'll be busy running a booth in the Artist Alley. But some good Game of Thrones cosplays would be awesome to see.

If you're going as Daenerys, you should totally go as her in the middle of eating the horse heart. It would be rather gruesome, but extremely cool to see haha.

Melly

i plan on doing Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's outfit from Tsukema Tsukeru.

http://youtu.be/NLy4cvRx7Vc

the second outfit, with all the little candy/food/idk bags on it /in the video at about 2:20 - the end

so im just curious on what kind of bags she has on her skirt.

i more than likely wont be able to get THE EXACT kinds of bags on that skirt. but i'd like to do the same kind of items XD

and i had no idea where to ask this. LMAO;;; and it probably seems quite random (Y); sorry LMAO; any help is nice though C:

princeofrose

Hello everyone!
I have a few questions!
My friend and I are crossplaying and we both need compression shirts (we need to squish are boobage) And we tried ordering male compression shirts (we got medium) but they are both too big and don't squish our breasts at all. My friend told us to try female compression shirts but those just  make us more curvy. Does anyone know a good way to bind the chest? Compression shirts or bandages etc.

Haunterluvcookies

Quote from: princeofrose on February 18, 2012, 07:40:19 PM
Hello everyone!
I have a few questions!
My friend and I are crossplaying and we both need compression shirts (we need to squish are boobage) And we tried ordering male compression shirts (we got medium) but they are both too big and don't squish our breasts at all. My friend told us to try female compression shirts but those just  make us more curvy. Does anyone know a good way to bind the chest? Compression shirts or bandages etc.

This is the site is were I got mine and I love it! It really works, for me at least.

http://t-kingdom.com/index.htm

Has a good selection and has all sizes. Hope this helps.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

princeofrose

Those look like they work really well but they are too pricy for me D: Do you know of anything that is cheaper?

Haunterluvcookies

Quote from: princeofrose on February 19, 2012, 07:06:26 PM
Those look like they work really well but they are too pricy for me D: Do you know of anything that is cheaper?

Sorry, I don't. I didn't like the price at first but I really needed it for a tight costume I was going to wear. I guess the only thing I can suggest is if you type chest binding into google you might find something; thats how I came across that site. Sorry about that.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

MidnightPrincess94

try using gauze wrap. my friend does tht and it seems to work very well. plus its really cheap  ;D

P.S heres a website tht lists tons of ideas. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709

BunofGovt

those bags look like snack bags of some kind, not candy, but some kinds of chips or puffs?  You might check Daiso (if there's one near you), they carry bento lunch supplies and some plastic bags for baked goods.  You might be able to get a variety of colored plastic bags there.  Or a party supply store.  Either that or go through a snack aisle at an asian or Japanese market and buy up bags.  If the snack is heavy, you might want to empty the bags and fill with cotton balls for puffiness.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

ikowashite

So, I'm having trouble as to how I should attach an extremely large bow onto the back of my dress for my cosplay.

The back of the dress has a zipper that goes all the way down pass the waist by about six inches. My main issue: the bow has to be at the waist, but the zipper is in the way. How would you guys suggest I attach the bow? Is there a way to make it easily attachable/removable? (I'm not too crazy with the idea of making it into a belt.)

Derp. Nevermind. I forgot I could just attach the bow with brooch clips. x.x

sushisoap

Quote from: MidnightPrincess94 on February 19, 2012, 10:17:28 PM
try using gauze wrap. my friend does tht and it seems to work very well. plus its really cheap  ;D

P.S heres a website tht lists tons of ideas. http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=15709
^ this. Ace bandage is the savior of many cosplayers, wrap it over a sports bra so it doesn't slide on skin.. They have widths up to 6 and more inches, which wrap nicely flat if you're doing something rather skintight. (no awkward creases and bumps)
Be careful what you wrap with. You need to be comfortable. If something isn't stretchy enough, you can damage your boobs (permanently, sometimes!), hurt your back, or even pass out. On experience, I wrapped tight enough to bind for a skintight wife beater, and my back was hurting so bad by the end of the day. Binding too tight puts pressure in spots that shouldn't..

Another really good idea my friend did was get one of those waist slimmers, and fastened it around her chest. Simple, clean, and apparently it worked really well...

Anyways, yeah. That's my motherly message, be careful! And good luck. C:

princeofrose

Thank you guys so much for the links and advice!
Oooo waist slimmer? I might use that. We still have 94 days so I will look around lol

amaya_JDB

What's a great place (greater Sac area) or site where I can find some peace-bonding friendly pistols or rifle?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Melly

hmm, i wish america had cute colored chips and such ;c LMAO

and ive never heard of Daiso ;o i pretty much live in nowheresville, california, but i will check out there website!

and i think the bags on the skirt are empty as far as i can tell ;o! or maybe they are.. /watching now to see if they are full or not v__v XD

thank you though <3!

MYNAMEISBUBBY

My friend and i need help.we're supposed to make keyblades.Oblivion and Oathkeeper.we're having problems figuring out how to make them...we haven't even started on them yet...so much for top priority.... :P
Keep calm and creep on.
ಠ_____ಠ