The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: MYNAMEISBUBBY on February 26, 2012, 05:47:39 PM
My friend and i need help.we're supposed to make keyblades.Oblivion and Oathkeeper.we're having problems figuring out how to make them...we haven't even started on them yet...so much for top priority.... :P
try making them out of foam or cardboard and work from there. that way its light an easy to carry. my friends making a 6 foot tall sword and said that would help. hope it does!  ;D

BunofGovt

Daiso is like a Japanese dollar store.  If there isn't one in your area, you might try a party supply place (Party Time?) and see if they have colored plastic bags.  You can either use stickers (or even colored labels, dots from an office supply place) to see if you can make the bags look like snack bags.  Not sure if you could use colored paper sacks and (yes this may be time consuming) cut squares out of the front and tape or glue in colored cellophane to make it look like a snack bag.

Visit a liquor store or even to an ethnic type grocery store to see what their chips bags look like.

Good luck!
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.

MYNAMEISBUBBY

Quote from: MidnightPrincess94 on February 26, 2012, 08:18:03 PM
My friend and i need help.we're supposed to make keyblades.Oblivion and Oathkeeper.we're having problems figuring out how to make them...we haven't even started on them yet...so much for top priority.... :P
try making them out of foam or cardboard and work from there. that way its light an easy to carry. my friends making a 6 foot tall sword and said that would help. hope it does!  ;D
ok....that's what we thought.the hardest problem would be on oblivion.there's a chain in the middle and there are also a lot of details...for both keyblades. :P
Keep calm and creep on.
ಠ_____ಠ

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: MYNAMEISBUBBY on February 26, 2012, 09:03:37 PM
ok....that's what we thought.the hardest problem would be on oblivion.there's a chain in the middle and there are also a lot of details...for both keyblades. :P
for the chain one you could make it out of sheet metal. though tht would be a bit more expensive, time consumeing, and a little heavier but just a suggestion. :)

Haunterluvcookies

I am looking for very bright purple or violet contacts. I have never worn contacts and I am a complete noob.  ???
I have brown eyes that are between light and dark.
First I was wondering if eye measurements were needed when it came to contacts without a prescription?
I was wondering if anyone has every bought from this site?

http://www.fashion-contactlenses.com/contact-lenses/Vivacious-Violet-Extreme-Color-Contact-Lenses.html

Also how did you like them? Pros, cons please.  ;D

If this isn't the ones to use, any suggestions?

Thank you!  :)

Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

echoshadow

As a contact lens user I have to say be careful when ordering stuff from over seas.
First thing you need is the contact lens cleaner. Thats the stuff that clens the lenses. You can buy that anywhere. The dierctions are in the box. And a lens contaner.

Other than that just stick them in your eye. Lol. With clean hands.

Through out the day your eyes will get dry so pick up come eye drops for contact lenes. It usually takes about a week to get used to wearing them. So wear them before so you can get used to them. Other wise you eyes will turn blood shot red.

But I highy recommend you go to an optometrist and order color lenses through them. Like in Walmart.
Anymore questions feel free to ask.
Not your typical anime junkie.
MAL:Echoshadow's Anime List

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: echoshadow on February 28, 2012, 06:47:01 PM
As a contact lens user I have to say be careful when ordering stuff from over seas.
First thing you need is the contact lens cleaner. Thats the stuff that clens the lenses. You can buy that anywhere. The dierctions are in the box. And a lens contaner.

Through out the day your eyes will get dry so pick up come eye drops for contact lenes. It usually takes about a week to get used to wearing them. So wear them before so you can get used to them. Other wise you eyes will turn blood shot red.

But I highy recommend you go to an optometrist and order color lenses through them. Like in Walmart.

^ GOOD INFO HERE!! im a contact lens user too and basically thts all you need to kno, just keep clean hands, and contact drops and you're good. plus they'll show u how to wear them and usually recommend a good cleaner. o! and bring you're makeup to fix it. eyedrops can b a bit messy. and bring your contacts case in case they dry up too much you have it there to put thm in so u dn't have to worry  :D

Rebeccakh

I've always wanted to make a keyblade with this new technique I found out about but never got the chance. What you do is tape pieces of cardboard for bases for your spray foam to a pvc pipe. Spray expanding insulation foam onto the cardboard bases, spritz the foam with water to make it set up faster. Then once the foam is solid after a few hours, carve it down, then paper mache a few light layers over it to make it smooth. Let the paper mache dry solid then sand the paper mache (don't go past the paper mache) to smooth it. Then add a few layers of modge podge to make it even smoother. Finally use a spray paint or acrylic paint to do the colors and once it dries, seal it with acrylic finishing spray and voila!

Expanding insulation foam is extremely cheap ($3 something a can at the home improvement section at wal mart. They come in spray paint like cans. I get the black can type, it expands the biggest.) so you'd probably want 2-3 cans each per keyblade.(to be safe so you don't run out)
Here's a video demonstrating how to use it.
http://youtu.be/O23TM-z0OXk

*use gloves and maybe painters masks when you use the stuff, its not good when its wet but once its dry it's safe to handle*

I've used this technique on all my prop weapons this year (2 staffs, a pair of daggers, and a smaller sword) It's very sturdy and won't collapse during the day, yet its super light and won't wear you out carrying it around all day, plus you can get a really good 3-d look with it.

Haunterluvcookies

Thank you so much both of you. This will be very helpful in buying contacts.  ;D
Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on February 28, 2012, 07:46:09 PM

Thank you so much both of you. This will be very helpful in buying contacts.  ;D
I just bought cat eye contacts for my nekomata costume from that store round bout $26 so hopefully it works out *first time buying contacts too* XD

Haunterluvcookies

Quote from: Rebeccakh on February 28, 2012, 10:07:33 PM
Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on February 28, 2012, 07:46:09 PM

I just bought cat eye contacts for my nekomata costume from that store round bout $26 so hopefully it works out *first time buying contacts too* XD

Good luck! I am a bit nervous ordering for the first time... but I really want my costume complete for the con.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Laggy

Quote from: MYNAMEISBUBBY on February 26, 2012, 09:03:37 PM

The Spirit Store sells fake foam chains that look fairly realistic, and won't weigh you down online for like eight bucks. There's probably other places you can find them too, that's just the first thing that came to mind.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/product/gt-chain-w-lock/

L0Lpants

Yo, <--first time doing a cosplay at all, first time posting in this part in the forums, etc etc. Anywho, I need to get a customed Sket Dance wrist/ sweatband as seen worn by the trio in the show, but it's not available for purchase anywhere. Anybody know where i can get one & who to ask to make one?

As seen here on the left picture: http://suntzuanime.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/will-they-wont-they.png
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

Rebeccakh

Quote from: Captain L0Lpants on February 29, 2012, 12:34:08 AM
Yo, <--first time doing a cosplay at all, first time posting in this part in the forums, etc etc. Anywho, I need to get a customed Sket Dance wrist/ sweatband as seen worn by the trio in the show, but it's not available for purchase anywhere. Anybody know where i can get one & who to ask to make one?

As seen here on the left picture: http://suntzuanime.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/will-they-wont-they.png

Could try painting it on with white fabric paint on a black wristband yourself :c

kookiekween99

This might sound odd, but where can I find a plain blue dress for a reasonable price? I can only find stuff that already has designs on it or the fabric is cut in such a way that it's not usable.

I want to cosplay as the TARDIS. My idea was to find a plain navy blue dress, and just use fabric paint for the details. Then I would have a headband with the light thingie.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to do the headband, that would be awesome. It would be extra cool if I could actually get it to light up, but I know that might be difficult.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

Laggy

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 29, 2012, 07:54:07 PM
This might sound odd, but where can I find a plain blue dress for a reasonable price? I can only find stuff that already has designs on it or the fabric is cut in such a way that it's not usable.

I want to cosplay as the TARDIS. My idea was to find a plain navy blue dress, and just use fabric paint for the details. Then I would have a headband with the light thingie.

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to do the headband, that would be awesome. It would be extra cool if I could actually get it to light up, but I know that might be difficult.

I can't seem to find it on their website, but Radio Shack sells these small little portable LED lights. They're shaped like a tiny muffin, and you twist the bottom to turn on the light. They're super bright, and lasts like 140 hours. No wired required. I used them when I made a Portal gun a few years back. They work great.

Also, great costume idea. I'll keep an eye out for you!

amaya_JDB

Need help on 2 cosplays!

For my Mey-Rin cosplay I need a couple of pistols, but I don't know where to find some peace bonding friendly guns. Is there a site that might sell some?
And also it's said that her eyes are actually red, but in the anime it's brown. So...should I get red or brown contact lenses? My normal eyes are dark brown/black, and I have to pay an extra $50-70 for a pair 'cause my prescription is so high (-7.75 on both eyes x_X)

My fiance and his friend are cosplaying the FFF Inquisition from Baka and Test, and is there any ideas on how we can approach this? I have no sewing skills period! Is there a good site that does commitions or maybe even ideas on what we can do?

Thank you!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

Xia

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find prescription red contact lenses, preferably with power that is greater than -6.0. I've been looking around but haven't had much luck, and since I wear regular prescription contacts on a normal basis I want to make sure the ones I purchase are safe and reliable.

This is something I've been contemplating really recently and it isn't something that's super necessary (but I'm still interested), so if it ends up where I cannot find a set that works and that I can trust on, then I will be fine.

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: Xia on March 02, 2012, 04:51:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find prescription red contact lenses, preferably with power that is greater than -6.0. I've been looking around but haven't had much luck, and since I wear regular prescription contacts on a normal basis I want to make sure the ones I purchase are safe and reliable.

This is something I've been contemplating really recently and it isn't something that's super necessary (but I'm still interested), so if it ends up where I cannot find a set that works and that I can trust on, then I will be fine.

If i was you and you wear contacts already, i would try asking your optomitrist (is tht wat they're called?) and ask if they sell or know of any good places to find some nice ones. when it comes to things like this you wanna make sure you're doing whats best for your eyes.

BunofGovt

Quote from: kookiekween99 on February 29, 2012, 07:54:07 PM

Try Ross or Marshalls or Kohls (not sure if Kohls see dresses actually) for the blue dress.  Don't forget to check dresses, and if there's a section for formal dresses because you might find a solid color, and longer ones.  You might find something in the sleepwear section also, like a gown, or robe?

I too will be looking for you for pics! I don't know how big you will make the light on the headband, but you might try using one of those small emergency tap lights (I've seen them at hardware stores and Walgreens) inside the light fixture.
Life is too important to take seriously.  Seriously.