The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

Nina Star 9

Quote from: dajoo on March 31, 2012, 08:59:21 PM
If fabrics r us does fail you I found these two knits on fabrics.com.
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=00b5f358-1617-4af4-a1b7-ebe36e3051de
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=6fefbcbd-797f-45ef-9184-4d9119f5c0f6

You'd probably want the first one for the project you're doing. The only annoying thing is you'd have to darken every other stripe, which could be done with fabric markers. Also remember to get a stretch needle before trying to sew it or it will be an unholy mess.
Darkening every other stripe would be difficult, time-consuming, messy, and probably end up looking really cheesy.

Rinoa's rib knit is a wider rib than the one linked to here, so the "negative" part shows up more, making it look striped. It isn't; it's just how the "negative" part of a rib knit looks darker due to seeing the backside of the knit and it being in shadow, giving what you are seeing as a striped appearance. Any rib knit will give that effect naturally without having to be striped.

I need a bit of advice on a prop gun.
I was planning on carving it out of probably a block of styrofoam, then sealing the foam with something and painting it. Since the gun is fairly flat, I was going to just use a sheet of foam so i just have to worry about an outline istead of carving the sides, as well, like I would if I used something like expanding insulation foam. I also need a rather large single sheet, since I don't want to have to somehow join together two pieces to create the entire length of the gun.

Would this even work? I'm not sure what to seal the foam with, or even if the rather porous foam I was looking at would be a good option. I was thinking of using gesso to seal the foam, but I'm afraid it will just sink into all the little holes and I'd need a -lot- to get a smooth coat. If that wouldn't work, what would? I was hoping that I could seal it (sand it, seal it again, etc.), apply my decorations (which will be a combination of cut pieces of craft foam glued on and hot glue directly applied to create the raised designs), and paint it, without having to cover it in something between the sealant and the decorations/paint. Would that work, and how sturdy would it be?

Also, I was planning on using a length of PVC pipe for the barrel (which goes all the way back, so I would just need to glue it into a channel on the top of the gun), but I don't know what kind of glue to use to attatch it (I guess that partly depends on how I seal the gun?) or if that will be too heavy, especially considering how lightweight the body of the gun could potentially be. Any tips there?

I was planning on doing something like this, where piece 1 is the styrofoam body, piece 2 is the PVC pipe, piece 3 is an extra, decorative piece (though it might be good to make it structural somehow... any ideas?), and piece 4 is shaped craft foam that hides the junction (thank you, Atlus character designers, for giving her a decorative piece right there!).

Thank you!

DarkMoonlitStar

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 09, 2012, 09:39:29 AM
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=00b5f358-1617-4af4-a1b7-ebe36e3051de
http://www.fabric.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=6fefbcbd-797f-45ef-9184-4d9119f5c0f6

You'd probably want the first one for the project you're doing. The only annoying thing is you'd have to darken every other stripe, which could be done with fabric markers. Also remember to get a stretch needle before trying to sew it or it will be an unholy mess.
Darkening every other stripe would be difficult, time-consuming, messy, and probably end up looking really cheesy.

Rinoa's rib knit is a wider rib than the one linked to here, so the "negative" part shows up more, making it look striped. It isn't; it's just how the "negative" part of a rib knit looks darker due to seeing the backside of the knit and it being in shadow, giving what you are seeing as a striped appearance. Any rib knit will give that effect naturally without having to be striped.

I was planning on carving it out of probably a block of styrofoam, then sealing the foam with something and painting it. Since the gun is fairly flat, I was going to just use a sheet of foam so i just have to worry about an outline istead of carving the sides, as well, like I would if I used something like expanding insulation foam. I also need a rather large single sheet, since I don't want to have to somehow join together two pieces to create the entire length of the gun.

Would this even work? I'm not sure what to seal the foam with, or even if the rather porous foam I was looking at would be a good option. I was thinking of using gesso to seal the foam, but I'm afraid it will just sink into all the little holes and I'd need a -lot- to get a smooth coat. If that wouldn't work, what would? I was hoping that I could seal it (sand it, seal it again, etc.), apply my decorations (which will be a combination of cut pieces of craft foam glued on and hot glue directly applied to create the raised designs), and paint it, without having to cover it in something between the sealant and the decorations/paint. Would that work, and how sturdy would it be?

Also, I was planning on using a length of PVC pipe for the barrel (which goes all the way back, so I would just need to glue it into a channel on the top of the gun), but I don't know what kind of glue to use to attatch it (I guess that partly depends on how I seal the gun?) or if that will be too heavy, especially considering how lightweight the body of the gun could potentially be. Any tips there?

I was planning on doing something like this, where piece 1 is the styrofoam body, piece 2 is the PVC pipe, piece 3 is an extra, decorative piece (though it might be good to make it structural somehow... any ideas?), and piece 4 is shaped craft foam that hides the junction (thank you, Atlus character designers, for giving her a decorative piece right there!).

Thank you!

Yeah I ended up buying the fabric suggested and the ribs are small but I'll just have to use it...not enough time and money to look for other ones for now...But either way I hope it turns out alright despite it being a bit too green and too small of ribbing xD

As for the prop gun you can probably use pvc pipes for piece 2 and 3. and in the area around piece 4 where all 3 main parts of the gun meets you could use some strong adhesive like gorilla glue (it expands and foams as well). Mind's sorta blanking at creativity atm but for the craft foam, it tends to dry up and crack after a while if you leave it just painted so you should seal it with something as well. I've used a gloss finish mod podge glue when that happened and it looked fine after touching up the paint a bit. I don't usually use foam and foam sheets so I couldn't give any suggestions about those...I mainly use paper mache and that usually works out just fine for me (having made a scythe and trident out of paper mache and other parts).
"Find yourself, that's the key & I am the only person I can be, myself, that''s me."
2015 Cosplay -tentative-
Shiro- No Game No Life
Koujaku- DraMaticalMurder
Esdese/Esdeath- Akame ga Kiru!
Daiki Aomine-Kuroko no Basuke

dajoo

Quote from: DarkMoonlitStar on April 10, 2012, 12:30:45 AM
Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 09, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

Thank you!

Yeah I ended up buying the fabric suggested and the ribs are small but I'll just have to use it...not enough time and money to look for other ones for now...But either way I hope it turns out alright despite it being a bit too green and too small of ribbing xD

As for the prop gun you can probably use pvc pipes for piece 2 and 3. and in the area around piece 4 where all 3 main parts of the gun meets you could use some strong adhesive like gorilla glue (it expands and foams as well). Mind's sorta blanking at creativity atm but for the craft foam, it tends to dry up and crack after a while if you leave it just painted so you should seal it with something as well. I've used a gloss finish mod podge glue when that happened and it looked fine after touching up the paint a bit. I don't usually use foam and foam sheets so I couldn't give any suggestions about those...I mainly use paper mache and that usually works out just fine for me (having made a scythe and trident out of paper mache and other parts).

Sorry that the ribbing is off. It's hard to tell when you look at the stuff online. In the future fabric.com does sell swatches of the fabric so you can see it in the real world before you buy it. I figured the darker was the inverted ribbing, but didn't see any wide ribbed knits online in that color, so I suggested what could help make the look. For coloring to keep the mess down I would suggest fabric pens. I did a custom plaid with fabric pens on Maka's skirt and it came out great.

As for the gun I agree the pvc pipes for the barrels is a great idea. For the body and stock I would suggest a closed cell foam like polystyrene. This is the kind of foam that is used to make shock absorbers for electronics when being shipped. It's just a little heavier, but a hell of a lot more structurally sound. http://www.closedcellfoams.com/polystyrene.html

Nina Star 9

DarkMoonlitStar>
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think I can use a pipe for part 3, though, unless I use a very, very thin pipe and cover it in a decorative material, since it isn't very pipe-like on her actual gun.
As for paper mache, how would that work? I know how to use it when covering something (or using a mold to cover or fill in for smaller pieces, then removing the mold for a hollow piece or removing it from the mold for a solid piece), but I've always thought that for a larger item like a rifle, I'd need a base material to cover? I've never heard of using it as the main and only material on something that large, without anything underneath it as a base.

Dajoo>
Polystyrene might be better, then. I don't mind a little bit more weight to give added strength, especially since I was already woried that it might be too lightweight to support that PVC pipe. Thanks for the suggestions. Where would I find something like that in person, I wonder? Also, I would still need to seal it, right? Would gesso work for that, like I was thinking of using for styrofoam?

Thank you!

dajoo

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 10, 2012, 03:57:46 PM

Dajoo>
Polystyrene might be better, then. I don't mind a little bit more weight to give added strength, especially since I was already woried that it might be too lightweight to support that PVC pipe. Thanks for the suggestions. Where would I find something like that in person, I wonder? Also, I would still need to seal it, right? Would gesso work for that, like I was thinking of using for styrofoam?

Thank you!

In the past I had a friend that worked at Bestbuy and he was able to get me some from a tv they had sold without the box. You might try asking to see if anyone you know has some recent electornics purchase, see if you have an inside contact, or worst case scenario go dumpster diving. Sorry I don't  know of any places that sell it in person. I used paper clay as base and then gessoed it. I don't know if you can skip the clay or not .

kookiekween99

Quoting because it got buried under another dicussion and I'd still like some help if anyone's willing to offer.

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 07, 2012, 03:23:42 PM
Is it possible/easy to stylize a wig and how?

I finally got the wig I ordered around a month ago. However, I'm not all that happy with the bangs.

This is my wig:

This is the character:

(Chisame Hasegawa from Negima)
Bigger picture: http://mjv-art.org/pictures/get_image/17167-1280x960-mahou+sensei+negima-hasegawa+chisame-chiu-roulin+rouge.jpg

I think I have to cut the bangs shorter and some of the main hair shorter to go in the front. Is there some special way to cut wigs or can I just treat it like normal hair?

Also, she has that annoying little piece of hair standing up in the air like that. Is there anything I can do to replicate that?

Keep in mind I have absolutely no experience with wigs whatsoever. ^^;
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 15, 2012, 09:52:51 AM
Quoting because it got buried under another dicussion and I'd still like some help if anyone's willing to offer.

I finally got the wig I ordered around a month ago. However, I'm not all that happy with the bangs.

This is my wig:

This is the character:

Bigger picture: http://mjv-art.org/pictures/get_image/17167-1280x960-mahou+sensei+negima-hasegawa+chisame-chiu-roulin+rouge.jpg

I think I have to cut the bangs shorter and some of the main hair shorter to go in the front. Is there some special way to cut wigs or can I just treat it like normal hair?

Also, she has that annoying little piece of hair standing up in the air like that. Is there anything I can do to replicate that?

If i was u i'd cut it just like normal hair. and to help make it stick up use some gel or heavy hair product tht'll make it stand up. which can also be washed out easily.  :)

Mint

Quote from: kookiekween99 on April 15, 2012, 09:52:51 AM

This is my wig:

This is the character:

Basically, yes, you do cut it like regular hair, except with one idea in mind: It WONT grow back. So you do so carefully. :3  

The way I do it, is put the wig on, and mark with a sharpie at a point a little longer than what I want it to be (For bangs, at least). I then take it off and put it on a wig head, and make a really rough, blunt cut straight across that length. So, yes, now the bangs are shorter, but they're probably not as short as you want them, and they will be cut really roughly, and look quite bad.
Then what I do is I take my scissors (I use something like these: http://www.guystyleguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/small-scissors.jpg which are meant for cosmetic/hair things, and are easier to use when it comes to managing wigs) and I cut vertically, or at a slight angle. The idea of this is to thin the edges so you have less of a rough cut, and more so bangs that look how normal hair looks.

Basically going for a look that looks like: http://shessmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/short-red-wig-with-bangs.jpg

instead of: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zxeC5jkbvzw/TdGOCkvOqmI/AAAAAAAAAKs/B9uzSLpfnLo/s1600/IMG_0442.JPG

After you thin out the ends a bit (you could also use thinning shears), it should look a lot nicer than if simply cut straight across. But also, thinning it out this way will make them a bit shorter, and so after they look good on the wig head (again, careful to not make them too short), put the wig back on and see if they are an ok length. If too long, put it back on the wig head and trim vertically again.

Sorry if that's really confusing. u_u;;

For the ahoge, all it seems it would need is a good helping of hair gel (Got2Be Glue is what a lot of people really like to use). Cut it to the right length, and then lather it with the gel, and take a hairdryer to it as you shape it. That SHOULD be enough, however, if it's not, you would use wire to keep it up.

For future reference, here's a whole boatload of tutorials on just about everything: http://cosplaytutorial.com/list.php
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

kane64

I am curious if anyone knows of, or has a place that they prefer to go to, that can make some custom shirts? Cause the shirt I want to have made for my costume is a little more complicated then just a simple press on image.

Any and all help would be appreciated. :)
"I'm addicted to Star Trek
"I'm a Klingon speaking federation freak
"I find I'm more inclined
"To spend the bulk of my time
"On the starship Enterprise
"Than talking to girls I meet"
-Deaf Pedestrians

MYNAMEISBUBBY

i have to make a dress for paula.from kuroshitsuji.it's like a big puffy old fashioned dress,except plainer.i have no idea where to start.>.>
Keep calm and creep on.
ಠ_____ಠ

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: MYNAMEISBUBBY on April 23, 2012, 08:47:19 PM
i have to make a dress for paula.from kuroshitsuji.it's like a big puffy old fashioned dress,except plainer.i have no idea where to start.>.>
try going to sewing stores and finding patterns of the dress and make it from there. OR! grab pieces of patterns from different dresses tht'll help create tht dress all together. thts wat im doing for one of my cosplays, rather thn buying it online. hope ths helps  :)

opalwhisker

hey so I'm going to be doing a cosplay of Kaito Kuroba
<< Him
in his Kaito Kid disguise
Seen here >>
and I really want to have his hair be accurate. I'm a girl who has pretty much the same color hair as he does so I don't have a wig for him, but my hair is long (about 4 inches past the shoulder) is there anyway I can pin up and spry or gel my hair so it looks like his? I'd really rather not cut my hair is it can be avoided XD;

koolcalcat1

Dose anyone know how to make an underbust corset? I need to make one that ties in the back...

Charis

Quote from: koolcalcat1 on April 29, 2012, 04:28:52 PM
Dose anyone know how to make an underbust corset? I need to make one that ties in the back...

The pattern I use for mine is by Laughing Moon, and I've liked it rather well.  It's made to have a front busk and back lacing, though the busk can be drafted out quite easily if you don't need it.  I don't know if you're looking for a functioning corset or a cosmetic piece; if it's the latter, then you may be able to find a costume pattern that you can adapt.

Opalwhisker: try Got2BGlued hair glue.  We made a friend's hair stand completely upright for a shoot with it.  Though fair warning -- it's a sticky pain to work with, so make sure you can wash your hands off after.  I found out that out the hard way. XD
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: opalwhisker on April 29, 2012, 02:55:41 PM
hey so I'm going to be doing a cosplay of Kaito Kuroba
<< Him
in his Kaito Kid disguise
Seen here >>
and I really want to have his hair be accurate. I'm a girl who has pretty much the same color hair as he does so I don't have a wig for him, but my hair is long (about 4 inches past the shoulder) is there anyway I can pin up and spry or gel my hair so it looks like his? I'd really rather not cut my hair is it can be avoided XD;
u could try flipping it up so the bottom ends do those kind of spikes or w/e they are in the pic? thts my best advice for not using a wig.

MidnightPrincess94

Quote from: koolcalcat1 on April 29, 2012, 04:28:52 PM
try going to local sewing stores and looking for patterns. if not hot topic or stores online might have some. hope this helps.  :)

Haunterluvcookies

So fanime is around the corner and HAVE THE BIGGEST PROBLEM EVER....other than messy wig hair..
I was wondering if anyone knew the best way to pack for an airplane? I have mutiple costumes including two pices of armor that are quite big, okay medieum sized. I would prefer not to have to pay extra for baggage at the airport...

any advice would help... I have flown before but never to a con with costumes and such. Thanks! ;D
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Charis

Are you flying an airline that lets you check luggage free?  There are still a few left nowadays.  If you are, then your life is much easier, since technically a box can be checked instead of luggage.

If you're not (welcome to my world XD ), then your best bet is to very carefully read your airline's carry-on luggage regulations.  What I usually do is put everything compressible into ziplock bags, which have the dual purpose of saving space and keeping everything isolated in case you have a spill.  Things like underwear, socks, small pieces of costumes -- those work well in corners and to fill in gaps.  Fold your larger pieces neatly.  Work shoes in around them.  Pick out bigger/heavier pieces and wear them on the plane if you can -- I usually fly with my knee boots, since they're the bulkiest pair of shoes I have for con, and take a jacket or outer layer with me.  Get a suitcase as big as your airline's carry-on guidelines will allow, preferably one with a gusset; pack it with the gusset open and then carefully zip it closed to get more compression.  It's possible to fit a LOT in a suitcase if you pack it carefully, even with cosplay involved.  Give yourself time and fuss things around until you've got the best configuration.

Most airlines do not count jackets, hats, or umbrellas towards carry-on luggage limits.  You can take advantage of this if you've got hats for cosplay, or a bulky outer jacket or something like that.  (I used to travel with a heavy wool cloak -- which wouldn't have been possible without this rule.)  Within reason, food and beverages to be consumed on the flight also does not apply, which frees up a little more space for carry-on, potentially.    If you've got a wig you're worried about damaging spikes or such on, consider wearing it as well (but be aware that might make sitting uncomfortable).  Take a tote bag or a backpack as your second carry-on to maximise space.

The armour's where you're likely to run into problems, depending on the size and how fragile it is.  If it's not too fragile, you may be able to get away with putting it into your suitcase and just padding the hell out of it with everything else you have.  If it is, try putting it into your second carry-on bag so you can control how it's handled.  If neither is an option due to size, then you'll either have to check it or mail it.  Mailing is actually not a bad option if you send it early enough that you don't have to worry about rush charges and if you can pack it to avoid oversize charges; I usually do FedEx or UPS.  If there's no one on the con side you can ship it to, ask the hotel what their options are.

Better to have to pay a little extra than have your hard work damaged, really.  But flying to a con -- even with lots of costumes -- is entirely doable; I've done it for quite a few, most of them without checking (except when I had to for sword props and the like).
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD

Haunterluvcookies

Quote from: Charis on April 30, 2012, 11:26:44 AM
Are you flying an airline that lets you check luggage free?  There are still a few left nowadays.  If you are, then your life is much easier, since technically a box can be checked instead of luggage.

If you're not (welcome to my world XD ), then your best bet is to very carefully read your airline's carry-on luggage regulations.  What I usually do is put everything compressible into ziplock bags, which have the dual purpose of saving space and keeping everything isolated in case you have a spill.  Things like underwear, socks, small pieces of costumes -- those work well in corners and to fill in gaps.  Fold your larger pieces neatly.  Work shoes in around them.  Pick out bigger/heavier pieces and wear them on the plane if you can -- I usually fly with my knee boots, since they're the bulkiest pair of shoes I have for con, and take a jacket or outer layer with me.  Get a suitcase as big as your airline's carry-on guidelines will allow, preferably one with a gusset; pack it with the gusset open and then carefully zip it closed to get more compression.  It's possible to fit a LOT in a suitcase if you pack it carefully, even with cosplay involved.  Give yourself time and fuss things around until you've got the best configuration.

Most airlines do not count jackets, hats, or umbrellas towards carry-on luggage limits.  You can take advantage of this if you've got hats for cosplay, or a bulky outer jacket or something like that.  (I used to travel with a heavy wool cloak -- which wouldn't have been possible without this rule.)  Within reason, food and beverages to be consumed on the flight also does not apply, which frees up a little more space for carry-on, potentially.    If you've got a wig you're worried about damaging spikes or such on, consider wearing it as well (but be aware that might make sitting uncomfortable).  Take a tote bag or a backpack as your second carry-on to maximise space.

The armour's where you're likely to run into problems, depending on the size and how fragile it is.  If it's not too fragile, you may be able to get away with putting it into your suitcase and just padding the hell out of it with everything else you have.  If it is, try putting it into your second carry-on bag so you can control how it's handled.  If neither is an option due to size, then you'll either have to check it or mail it.  Mailing is actually not a bad option if you send it early enough that you don't have to worry about rush charges and if you can pack it to avoid oversize charges; I usually do FedEx or UPS.  If there's no one on the con side you can ship it to, ask the hotel what their options are.

Better to have to pay a little extra than have your hard work damaged, really.  But flying to a con -- even with lots of costumes -- is entirely doable; I've done it for quite a few, most of them without checking (except when I had to for sword props and the like).

Yeah I am flying southwest so I am pretty sure I can get away with two checked luggages for free. I am really worried about the armor but if I can fit it a box than it would be awesome. My big problem is waiting till the night before I leave to pack, I guess I might have to start earlier. :P Thanks for all the advice! I hope I can fit it all.
Cosplay line up 2014:
Poland or hungary- Hetalia
Ace- Alice in the Country of Hearts
Signless- Homestuck
Ellie- The Last of Us
Sinbad- Magi

Charis

Quote from: Haunterluvcookies on April 30, 2012, 11:51:06 AMYeah I am flying southwest so I am pretty sure I can get away with two checked luggages for free. I am really worried about the armor but if I can fit it a box than it would be awesome. My big problem is waiting till the night before I leave to pack, I guess I might have to start earlier. :P Thanks for all the advice! I hope I can fit it all.

According to the Southwest website, you can check things up to 62" linear measurement (combined L + W + H).  In your shoes, I'd probably try to check a good sturdy box with my armour and a suitcase for the rest of my stuff (and bring whatever else I needed as carry-on).  Pad the hell out of your armour, fill in the empty space in the box (those air-pack bags that so many places use nowadays are great for taking care of anything left once you've packed what you want into the box), and label the outside with your name, home address, flight number, and destination address.  The labelling might be overkill, but I've done that on boxes every time I've flown and never had problems with them arriving.  You might also want to mention what it is at check-in, since security may be weirded out.

Honestly, with two checked bags plus carry-on, you'd have to be taking some serious armour to be over your luggage allowances, IMO. XD  Just make sure your box is within the size limits and you'll be fine.
2012 Plans:
  • others TBD