The COSPLAY HELP ME! Who? Sewing? Buy/Where? Construction? Support thread

Started by BSaphire, February 19, 2010, 03:30:23 PM

amaya_JDB

Quote from: spycker on June 02, 2012, 10:40:06 PM
Quote from: amaya_JDB on June 02, 2012, 10:36:11 PM
I need a pistol for my cosplay, but I have no clue how to get one that peace-bond friendly. How do I make one like that??? Obviously taking a air soft gun and pour glue down the barrel isn't the best idea xD

im thinking of paintball / airsoft weapons, look on ebay, they are very cheap and should be no problem with fanime as long as the orange point is shown and has no ammo or loaded

I thought so too until I saw this: "projectile weapons (such as airsoft, or bb guns, bows, crossbows, and firearms)" not allowed
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

spycker

spycker

ive seen pictures of people cosplaying with weapons that had orange tip!

Charis

Quote from: spycker on June 06, 2012, 07:09:31 PM
ive seen pictures of people cosplaying with weapons that had orange tip!

Yes, but per this past year's rules, none of them should have had the ability to fire anything at any point in their lives.  If they did, the odds are good that they either (a) didn't get them peace bonded, or (b) someone made a mistake

There are a number of ways people get prop guns by circumventing the "no airsoft, etc." rule -- making their own, repurposing water guns (which I believe were permitted as long as they remained empty), finding solid ones without the moving bits.  I've known people to take airsoft guns and create resin copies of them.  Point is, there are still other ways to get the props you need.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

spycker

I dont want to fire anything  ;D what about skull patches? its part of the cosplay..and is this mask acceptable?

amaya_JDB

Can anyone help me out? I'm trying to make dual pistols out of water guns, but I don't know what the limitations are for the peace bond. Thank you!
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

koolcalcat1

So i have a question how would one make face-stiches with out latex? (I'm allergic)

Zirphex

Quote from: koolcalcat1 on June 10, 2012, 12:42:07 PM
So i have a question how would one make face-stiches with out latex? (I'm allergic)

Try using Elmers School Glue.
Just be careful and give it plenty of time to dry, possibly more than one layer.
MANHO!

Rikun

Hi guys,

I'm considering a Persona 4 cosplay for the next convention so I've been shopping all over the place for the uniforms.  What I've found is that some places sell them almost dirt cheap while others would cost about as much as a fully custom suit would be (i.e. anywhere between $60 to $400).  I've even considered commissioning local cosplayers to build the jacket, but prices range for them too.  So, I wanted your guys' thoughts on two things:

1) How much would you pay online for a good quality Persona 4 cosplay?  What sites would be trustworthy for this purpose?

2) How much is reasonable for cosplayers to commission to make the cosplay?

Please let me know what you guys think.  Thanks!

geemrpeabody

Hi Guys.  I have a technical question.  For my next costume I'm wanting to have an LED that is triggered by small remote control.  I don't have the tech background to build it myself, but I'd imagine the technology already exists in some form.  Any Suggestions?

Thanks, in advance.

aurifera

Quote from: Rikun on June 12, 2012, 10:41:14 AM
Hi guys,

I'm considering a Persona 4 cosplay for the next convention so I've been shopping all over the place for the uniforms.  What I've found is that some places sell them almost dirt cheap while others would cost about as much as a fully custom suit would be (i.e. anywhere between $60 to $400).  I've even considered commissioning local cosplayers to build the jacket, but prices range for them too.  So, I wanted your guys' thoughts on two things:

1) How much would you pay online for a good quality Persona 4 cosplay?  What sites would be trustworthy for this purpose?

2) How much is reasonable for cosplayers to commission to make the cosplay?

Please let me know what you guys think.  Thanks!
The official Atlus/Cospatio jacket for the Persona 4 uniform is like... $350 ($300 for the girls'). That's taking licensing fees and designer quality (custom school crest buttons + pin, embroidery, fully lined, functional pockets etc) into the equation.

So I would never pay anything more than that. For pricing it really depends how picky you are when it comes to quality and accuracy. If you're going through a commissioner you need to be as detailed as you can be so they can give you the most accurate quote. Ebay can be a crapshoot, but it tends to range from "oh my god what is that" to budget/factory-produced costumes that may not be 100% accurate but look fine and aren't horrendously expensive.

The only commissioners I've tried are
http://cosplay1.com/ -- good quality for the price (cost me $150 for a jacket-shirt-skirt uniform), can do embroidery
http://www.costume-shop.jp/ -- price can vary depending on the "course" (standard or premium) and what you ask for, but they can probably do custom buttons or a pin if you really want the extra level of accuracy. I got a premium course costume from them and it's amazing. Considering what I got (complex 14-piece costume for $600) I think it was a reasonable price.

the obvious advantage of working with a local commissioner is more convenient and collaborative communication, though. And no shipping fees. D:

jingko

Rikun: for the wig and costume i wouldn't pay 100$ for all of it, if you go to the thrift stores you can possible find stuff that will be cheaper and then alter it to look like your character.

geemrpeabody: check etsy and other How to through google and such engines. also (i'm not technically minded either) but post on cosplay.com and again etsy and see who's out there.  I received my hidden blades thou a guy named john storms in etsy and he might know of someone or can make them.

for PEACE BONDING---------
THEY ARE CHANGING THE RULES! YOU HAVE TO READ THEM WHEN FAMINE COMES AROUND AGAIN.
as it is- IF it's an air soft gun, or regular plastic gun or rifle-
*The tip has to be plugged!-as well as bright orange that you can see from at least 20 feet- so you might have to make the tape go down more of the barrel. (or just use a bright neon colored gun) ((i know it sucks but it's the rules so everyone is safe))
*The Trigger CAN NOT work! (if it has a slide on it-block it or glue it shut)
*NO AMMO-either in the clip, on the gun, or on your person!
*if you have a clip in your gun-EVEN IF IT"S EMPTY- you have to make sure that nothing can get in it(so if it has a bottom take it off!)
*basically it can not fire anything, look like it can, or even look like it might be able to fire.
WEAPONS:
*NOTHING REAL!!! that includes bows, with stings (if some one cause sting it and use it-it's a no go!)
*live steel-NOTHING LIVE STEEL!!! even if it's paper thin-it can possible hurt someone.
*wood-Has to be light weight!
for foam guns-still needs to have a bright orange tip! and it's up to the fanime peace bonder(as each gun is different) - as some of the stormtroopers were fine, but there are a few things that were not form other cosplayers- check with them and please don't yell at them.

for anything else read this
http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,16577.0.html

again they are changing the rules!! keep up on them!

where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

Charis

Quote from: jingko on June 13, 2012, 12:26:01 PMfor PEACE BONDING---------
THEY ARE CHANGING THE RULES! YOU HAVE TO READ THEM WHEN FAMINE COMES AROUND AGAIN.
*snip*

Um ... if you look at the timestamp on that first post, it was last edited in January.  There's been clarification in the thread, and there's a certain amount of fluidity to be expected in the rules from year to year, but Aelia has always been very good about answering questions and keeping the cosplaying populace up to date, even if it's just "we're not sure about _____" yet.

That said -- did you read the rules before posting this?  Airsoft is explicitly prohibited according to the 2012 peacebonding rules.  Better to just point people to that thread and leave it at that, especially since it's best to have the people doing peacebonding commenting on what's okay and what's not okay with weapons, since they'll actually be the ones approving it at con.
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

spycker

is my mask ok to wear? no one has answered the question and what about my skull patches?

jingko

Quote from: spycker on June 13, 2012, 08:56:25 PM
is my mask ok to wear? no one has answered the question and what about my skull patches?

it's a patch? or a mask? cause most patches are fine but i would post it to the con-ops or peace bonders, as from what I've been told as long as they do not have "NYPD" "RCP" and do not look like they are part of the fire, police, or any other fratcion that is in law/safety that they are fine ( as well as anything racist)
where the Death Scythes kept?
see me at DA as well. ><

Dagger-6

Quote from: Nina Star 9 on April 09, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

I need a bit of advice on a prop gun.
I was planning on carving it out of probably a block of styrofoam, then sealing the foam with something and painting it. Since the gun is fairly flat, I was going to just use a sheet of foam so i just have to worry about an outline istead of carving the sides, as well, like I would if I used something like expanding insulation foam. I also need a rather large single sheet, since I don't want to have to somehow join together two pieces to create the entire length of the gun.

Would this even work? I'm not sure what to seal the foam with, or even if the rather porous foam I was looking at would be a good option. I was thinking of using gesso to seal the foam, but I'm afraid it will just sink into all the little holes and I'd need a -lot- to get a smooth coat. If that wouldn't work, what would? I was hoping that I could seal it (sand it, seal it again, etc.), apply my decorations (which will be a combination of cut pieces of craft foam glued on and hot glue directly applied to create the raised designs), and paint it, without having to cover it in something between the sealant and the decorations/paint. Would that work, and how sturdy would it be?

Also, I was planning on using a length of PVC pipe for the barrel (which goes all the way back, so I would just need to glue it into a channel on the top of the gun), but I don't know what kind of glue to use to attatch it (I guess that partly depends on how I seal the gun?) or if that will be too heavy, especially considering how lightweight the body of the gun could potentially be. Any tips there?

I was planning on doing something like this, where piece 1 is the styrofoam body, piece 2 is the PVC pipe, piece 3 is an extra, decorative piece (though it might be good to make it structural somehow... any ideas?), and piece 4 is shaped craft foam that hides the junction (thank you, Atlus character designers, for giving her a decorative piece right there!).

Thank you!

If you did want to do foam, you can seal it with diluted school glue/modge podge or spray on plastidip.

One of the prop designers for our Halo film works almost exclusively with foam, and they look great.

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaFrontlineTrooper

My advice is to check out his "How to make a halo magnum"  series.  He tracks the construction of a Halo Magnum fairly thoroughly from start to finish, which should be pretty helpful.

Foam props can be fairly fragile, so you have to take care when handling them.  But they are also ridiculously cheap.  

If you have any specific questions, if you're local I'm happy to help.  You can also follow him on FB

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DaFrontlineTrooper-Andrew-Cook/177039162321111

Examples of things made out of foam:

amaya_JDB

I know the weapons policy might be changing, but in the past has plugged up water guns been allowed?

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

kookiekween99

My boyfriend is enlisting my help in trying to cosplay Cross Fusion Megaman (other reference pic here).

We're trying to think of different ways to create the helmet. I thought of possibly carving it out of styrofoam to give it form, covering that with a layer of air-dry clay to shape the details, and painting that. He searched online and found a possible method of finding a cosplay police helmet or a football helmet and doing paper mache over that.

Does anyone know from experience if either of these are viable methods? We're also totally open to better suggestions, since we haven't purchased any of the helmet materials yet.
ASAHiCon Registration Head - '10-'12
ASAHiCon Web Head - '11-'13
FanimeCon Attendee - '10-Forever
FanimeCon Info Desk Minion - '14

sael

Quote from: kookiekween99 on July 02, 2012, 12:00:21 AMWe're trying to think of different ways to create the helmet. I thought of possibly carving it out of styrofoam to give it form, covering that with a layer of air-dry clay to shape the details, and painting that. He searched online and found a possible method of finding a cosplay police helmet or a football helmet and doing paper mache over that.

From my experience with foam and having talked to my friends about theirs: Use masking tape on the foam (any type) before applying clay to it. If you don't, the foam will not hold the clay - the little balls that make up the foam like to stick to the clay more than each other so they just break away with the clay instead. Tape in bands/rings about the prop and the styrofoam will be held in place; then apply the air-dry clay.

dajoo

For the fins you might also look at styrene it's a modeling plastic used in model train diorama construction and requires little knowledge to work with. Just make certain you use a cohesive glue(model glue) to bond it to itself and an adhesive glue(joanne's tacky glue.) to bond it to foam. If you are going to bond it to a football or some such helmet you may need to sand the area it is to be applied too to get past whatever paint is already on the plastic.
Quote from: kookiekween99 on July 02, 2012, 12:00:21 AM

My boyfriend is enlisting my help in trying to cosplay Cross Fusion Megaman (other reference pic here).

We're trying to think of different ways to create the helmet. I thought of possibly carving it out of styrofoam to give it form, covering that with a layer of air-dry clay to shape the details, and painting that. He searched online and found a possible method of finding a cosplay police helmet or a football helmet and doing paper mache over that.

Does anyone know from experience if either of these are viable methods? We're also totally open to better suggestions, since we haven't purchased any of the helmet materials yet.