Hetalia Fans - How does "Ask A Nation" Sound?

Started by Cosplay Cyborg, February 19, 2010, 11:33:29 PM

Cosplay Cyborg

Hi there! I'm currently reworking the idea for a Hetalia panel I want to put on at Fanime this year (I applied with a different idea, but then realized I needed to fix a few kinks here and there) but I was hoping to get some feedback from Fanime Attendees who are fans of, or are familiar with, Axis Powers Hetalia.

The general idea of "Ask A Nation" is that a panel of cosplayers host something like a talk show in which members of the audience can ask any nation present a question. It can be related to the fandom, the canon of the series, pairings, actual history or anything that you guys might find interesting to hear from the anthropomorphic representation of various countries of the world -- as long as it doesn't make the cosplayer acting as the character uncomfortable.

I also think because of the audience participation we'll be handing out prizes. My committee and I discussed how we would go about it and it was decided that each audience member who asks a question will receive a miniature flag from whichever country answered their question. The flags will all have a number on them, and the number will determine the order in which the winners come up to receive prizes.

As for the prizes themselves, we're thinking about giving away cheap Hetalia merch, like papercrafts and character bookmarks. Cosplayers in attendance will also receive a door-prize, and everyone who attends the panel, cosplayer or otherwise, will receive a raffle ticket at the door (like the Gaia panel raffle). The raffle prize will be artwork of the panel "cast" and will be autographed by the actors and actresses of the panel. We'll probably throw candy into the audience at random intervals as well, so nobody gets left out. :3

What I'd like to hear from the fans in terms of feedback is how you'd like us to go about asking/answering questions, how you'd like us to set up the "cast" itself, and any other ideas or suggestions you may have in mind. The idea is to have lots of fun, after all, so we'd really love to hear from the fans who will be attending Fanime.

Thanks very much to anyone who can offer some feedback!

- Cy

kachiechan

I'm on the panel. :P I helped with a lot of the suggestions.

Heres some more suggestions....

I think that questions should definitely be limited, and I don't think actual history should be good. I say that as a general rule, the questions should be vague and without specific details. I mean, they should be able to ask about a time-period and how they felt about it, but 'quizzing' the cast should be discouraged, since I know some fans will definitely try to test the historical knowledge of the cast and I know most of us won't be comfortable with that.

Cosplay Cyborg

Oh hey there~

Yeah, those are some great suggestions. Have I mentioned how much I love your ideas enough times yet? You've definitely saved the panel, my friend. Thank you, yet again. :3

I also think maybe we'd need some stage ninjas to screen questions, just in case. Kinda like how the Voice Actor panels weed out the questions that are kinda awkward in some cases.

- Cy

Roguethe

I agree about the actual history. I'd say leave it out completely unless the cosplayers really know a lot about their nation. It just takes a couple History buffs in the audience to really run things down hill.

I would say study your nation before the panel in general though. Even just questions like relationships and favorite color, food, holiday etc. need some knowledge.

I'm looking forward to it either way, see you there! 8,D

I draw sometimessss

Touya no Miko

Sounds very interesting! I do agree that the history questions should be left out. I plan to cosplay Poland, but I don't have an ounce of Polish blood or knowledge within me. Imagine the disappointed fangirls. x_x

You'll probably need to give the characters some time to get into their roles. It would also be wise to meet up a day before the panel, in order to get the idea how it will be run.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

VanessaAyukawa

I am looking forward to a Hetalia panel, since I am new to the series, it would be interesting to see a gathering of fans in cosplay and sharing their info on the series.

DinoSoarz

This sounds a lot like Nation Ask (http://community.livejournal.com/nation_ask/profile) - A community on LiveJournal for people to ask Hetalia Nations questions. I think this is a good idea, although it may not be a success unless the cosplays are really good- the people really look like the character. But I'll come check it out if you make it. :] By the way, please choose someone adorable to play Hong Kong.

HetaliaK

Quote from: DinoSoarz on March 12, 2010, 09:37:14 PM
This sounds a lot like Nation Ask (http://community.livejournal.com/nation_ask/profile) - A community on LiveJournal for people to ask Hetalia Nations questions. I think this is a good idea, although it may not be a success unless the cosplays are really good- the people really look like the character. But I'll come check it out if you make it. :] By the way, please choose someone adorable to play Hong Kong.
I absolutely love hetalia at the moment, and it would be so so so so AWESOME to have a hetalia panel. Maybe I can be the cute Hong Kong.....idk >w> ill bring some cat ears. It'll just have to be on a Sunday and not during the hetalia gathering :/
"We stand above the crowd..."

Mi Feng

A Hetalia panel sounds fun! I would attend. :)
I also agree with history out of the question and like rogue said some people could take it offensively. >.<

@HetaliaK I'll be China almost all of Sunday, yay! Say Hi! :D

Somebody

I really don't know how this would work, but I'm all for it!
It'd be kind of cool if you could get the panel on Sunday before or after the gathering, so we could all attend eh? (But it totally makes sense if it's not possible.) I've got other cosplays filling my other days and switching over to Hetalia on the other days would be difficult (but I'd really want to do it if I could! But I'd still hope Sunday was an option. xP)

But yes I'll be watching this thread *laughs* and I'll suggest something if I think of anything good.  :D
Cosplay 2013
Friday night: RWBY (incomplete)
Saturday morning: Arrietty
Sunday afternoon: Ruby w/ Adam (RWBY, no scythe)
Monday: Arrietty

HetaliaK

Quote from: Mi Feng on April 15, 2010, 04:34:06 PM
A Hetalia panel sounds fun! I would attend. :)
I also agree with history out of the question and like rogue said some people could take it offensively. >.<

@HetaliaK I'll be China almost all of Sunday, yay! Say Hi! :D
Alrighty~ :3 I'll be the Hong Kong with the cat ears (hopefully) and a fan. :3
"We stand above the crowd..."

unifrog

Quote from: Touya no Miko on February 20, 2010, 04:24:07 PM
Sounds very interesting! I do agree that the history questions should be left out. I plan to cosplay Poland, but I don't have an ounce of Polish blood or knowledge within me. Imagine the disappointed fangirls. x_x

You'll probably need to give the characters some time to get into their roles. It would also be wise to meet up a day before the panel, in order to get the idea how it will be run.
Also Cosplaying Poland! Any Idea When This Panel Will Be? (My Friends And I Want To Attend)

Hakoshi

I'd love to be apart of this. I'll be America, I know my country's history quite well and have roleplayed and been the character the character for a couple of years. I've also taken 2 years of U.S. history and presently am enrolled in U.S History college class. Please consider me for the role of America.