Swap Meet Information plus Q&A! FINAL UPDATE *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, February 22, 2010, 02:13:14 PM

Swizzlstik Cosplay

I'm already pre-registered for the swap meet. Is there any order that people must line up in (in accordance to the pre-reg listings, ect.) or is it who ever gets in line first and is pre-registered for the swap meet is checked in first?
The only thing constant in life is that life is constantly changing.

Kyra_Maverick

Last year there was a pre-reg line and a wait-list line. First in the pre-reg line will be first in the door, regardless of their spot on the list.

FanFicGuru

Last year I don't recall their being a sign up for Thursday and I did the at-the-door registration. Does this mean that chances of at the door registration for Thusrday's swap meet will be much slimmer this year?
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Eurobeat King

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 25, 2010, 04:05:15 PM
Last year I don't recall their being a sign up for Thursday and I did the at-the-door registration. Does this mean that chances of at the door registration for Thursday's swap meet will be much slimmer this year?

you should still get there early to get in-line, as people (like myself) will go stand in-line after they finish pre-reg. to at-least save a spot.  Then later if you have someone helping you, he/she will wait as you go get your boxes/suitcases, etc.  The longer you wait before getting in-line, the longer the line will eventually get, and as it gets closer to the time when the Swap Meet opens, you might still be in-line while the staffers are checking people-in.  And that's when the attendees are already inside, buying stuff from those already set-up (once they are allowed to start selling.)

On Pre-Reg. evening the main event (to me) is the Swap Meet, so that's where most people will be hanging-around that night.  Attendees who don't want to wait until Friday to buy stuff from the Dealers' Room might be interested in what you have to offer, so try to get there early!  :)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

animefreak4o8

will there be alot of people in line if i come 2 hrs earlier before swap meet starts on friday??

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Eurobeat King on March 25, 2010, 05:04:03 PM
Last year I don't recall their being a sign up for Thursday and I did the at-the-door registration. Does this mean that chances of at the door registration for Thursday's swap meet will be much slimmer this year?

you should still get there early to get in-line, as people (like myself) will go stand in-line after they finish pre-reg. to at-least save a spot.  Then later if you have someone helping you, he/she will wait as you go get your boxes/suitcases, etc.  The longer you wait before getting in-line, the longer the line will eventually get, and as it gets closer to the time when the Swap Meet opens, you might still be in-line while the staffers are checking people-in.  And that's when the attendees are already inside, buying stuff from those already set-up (once they are allowed to start selling.)

On Pre-Reg. evening the main event (to me) is the Swap Meet, so that's where most people will be hanging-around that night.  Attendees who don't want to wait until Friday to buy stuff from the Dealers' Room might be interested in what you have to offer, so try to get there early!  :)

Yeah I'll just be getting there super early again, hopefully they'll have room for me! :-)

btw Eurobeat King, looking forward to buying some of your goods! I always find something to buy from you hehe.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Persona

What are the measurements of a full/half space?

I couldn't find this on the Fanime swap meet website, and I would like to kindly suggest posting it on the website for others to reference.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Persona on March 31, 2010, 09:04:12 PM

I couldn't find this on the Fanime swap meet website, and I would like to kindly suggest posting it on the website for others to reference.

I THINK a full space is 10' by 10', and a half is 5' by 5'.

I could be wrong on this, but I'm fairly sure those were the measurements from last year.
Swap meet staff - 2014

Kyra_Maverick

Not sure about the measurements, but the half space would be bigger then 5' x 5'. If the full space is 10' x 10' a half space would be 5' x 10'.

5' x 5' would be a quarter space.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: animefreak4o8 on March 26, 2010, 07:37:08 PM
will there be alot of people in line if i come 2 hrs earlier before swap meet starts on friday??

Most likely.  People will be waiting as early as 4 (or more) hours ahead of time, since even if you are pre-registered, if you're the first in-line and have say, spot #30, you'll still be let-in among the first bunch and put you where spot #30 is.  (that's how it's been the last couple of years.)

I'm probably going to wait in-line around 4:00pm, or ask my friend to wait in-line for me sooner.  I like to walk-by that area in the afternoon to see when people start lining-up.

Quote from: FanFicGurubtw Eurobeat King, looking forward to buying some of your goods! I always find something to buy from you hehe.

thanks!  hopefully I'll have stuff that will interest you this year as well! :)

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on April 02, 2010, 03:38:15 PM
Not sure about the measurements, but the half space would be bigger then 5' x 5'. If the full space is 10' x 10' a half space would be 5' x 10'.

5' x 5' would be a quarter space.

Dur, you're right. Fail math...
Swap meet staff - 2014

Monokuru

Any chance that we can haggle in the swap meet?

LordKefka

^ of course. Just don't piss people off and offer $5 for something they are asking $20 for, lol.
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Hachimitsu

Quote from: Monokuru on April 19, 2010, 12:58:32 PM
Sometimes they can lower the price for you if the  item has'nt been sold within 30 minutes - 1 hour! but everyone knows that within the last hour of swap meet thats when the items became more cheaper ^ ^!, except theres a huge chance that you might miss the good items from the start!

Eurobeat King

Quote from: Monokuru on April 19, 2010, 12:58:32 PM

Most of my stuff is anywhere between $5-10 (sometimes more) off the retail price you would find it in-stores.  Example:  I'm selling Borderlands for the Xbox360, and you can buy it new for $39.99+tax but I'm selling it for $30 at the Swap Meet.  You save about $15 and don't have to go to the store to get it.  So I can't really go any cheaper with the merchandise I have priced. 

angeljibrille

Quote from: *Sesshie's* Nina on March 17, 2010, 11:52:13 AM
I'm already pre-registered for the swap meet. Is there any order that people must line up in (in accordance to the pre-reg listings, ect.) or is it who ever gets in line first and is pre-registered for the swap meet is checked in first?

People will get in according to their place in line. People on the "final" list (which will be posted soon) will be in one line, and people on the "waiting" list will be in the second line.

Thanks!

angeljibrille

Last year I don't recall their being a sign up for Thursday and I did the at-the-door registration. Does this mean that chances of at the door registration for Thusrday's swap meet will be much slimmer this year?

There is no at-the-door registration this year due to the overwhelming pre-reg demand. Sorry :(

angeljibrille

Quote from: animefreak4o8 on March 26, 2010, 07:37:08 PM

We don't have a specific time for the registration to start, but we will call the reserved people by number from the final list. You WILL be seated by number if you are on the final list (the fnal numbers will be ordered by who registered first). If you are in the overflow line ("the waiting list"), we will also call you in based on who registered first. 

angeljibrille

Quote from: Persona on March 31, 2010, 09:04:12 PM

A full space is 10 feet wide, a half space is 5 feet wide. The other dimension is a bit flexible and we don't have precise measurements yet; we should have that after May 1st's meeting.

angeljibrille

QuoteMost likely.  People will be waiting as early as 4 (or more) hours ahead of time, since even if you are pre-registered, if you're the first in-line and have say, spot #30, you'll still be let-in among the first bunch and put you where spot #30 is.  (that's how it's been the last couple of years.)

You REALLY don't need to wait in line for hours. I'm literally going to post the numbers, and then call them out "Number 10, please step up". We will have them organized by who has a full space, who has a half space. If we see you have a half space worth of stuff, and you asked for a full space (a full space is BIG), we are going to place you in a half space.

I'd suggest getting in line at 6:00pm (updated), as we will be walking around checking your forms while you are in line.

Please don't wait in line for 4 hours, there's really no need ^_^;  Even if you are in the overflow line, it's going to be based on your position on the waiting list as we are not taking people who are not on the list this year.