Swap Meet Information plus Q&A! FINAL UPDATE *PLEASE LOCK*

Started by angeljibrille, February 22, 2010, 02:13:14 PM

Eurobeat King

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 25, 2010, 12:46:31 AM
You REALLY don't need to wait in line for hours. I'm literally going to post the numbers, and then call them out "Number 10, please step up". We will have them organized by who has a full space, who has a half space. If we see you have a half space worth of stuff, and you asked for a full space (a full space is BIG), we are going to place you in a half space.

I'd suggest getting in line no more than an hour before the event, as we will be walking around checking your forms while you are in line.

Please don't wait in line for 4 hours, there's really no need ^_^;  Even if you are in the overflow line, it's going to be based on your position on the waiting list as we are not taking people who are not on the list this year.

Thanks for clarifying this. :)  I look forward to seeing how the new system will be like this year.  Since it is first-come first served for Thursday, I still plan to wait in-line early (there's not a lot to do on Day Zero.. haha) but for Friday I will still walk-by throughout the afternoon and see who's waiting early (there are people who may not read these forums and be unaware of the new "call out by #'s" system)
"Freedom is the right of all sentient cosplayers."

FanFicGuru

QuoteMost likely.  People will be waiting as early as 4 (or more) hours ahead of time, since even if you are pre-registered, if you're the first in-line and have say, spot #30, you'll still be let-in among the first bunch and put you where spot #30 is.  (that's how it's been the last couple of years.)

You REALLY don't need to wait in line for hours. I'm literally going to post the numbers, and then call them out "Number 10, please step up". We will have them organized by who has a full space, who has a half space. If we see you have a half space worth of stuff, and you asked for a full space (a full space is BIG), we are going to place you in a half space.

I'd suggest getting in line no more than an hour before the event, as we will be walking around checking your forms while you are in line.

Please don't wait in line for 4 hours, there's really no need ^_^;  Even if you are in the overflow line, it's going to be based on your position on the waiting list as we are not taking people who are not on the list this year.

Ok yeah thanks for clarifying this. Name's on "the list" now. We'll see how things go. I signed up for a full space because I'm going to have a lot of wall scrolls and such to sell. Still, I'll go where I'm told lol. Question: If we bring 20 for a full space but get put in a half space, we only pay for a half space, yeah?
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Eurobeat King

QuoteIf we see you have a half space worth of stuff, and you asked for a full space (a full space is BIG), we are going to place you in a half space.

Will this apply for Thursday?  I'm bringing a good amount of stuff, but nowhere close to the amount I brought last year.  I would like to get a full-space for Thursday and don't mind paying for it.  Friday I'm sharing a space with my friend, so hopefully what I have left for Friday will be enough for a half-space to join with hers.  Thanks for the info! :)

angeljibrille

QuoteThanks for clarifying this. :)  I look forward to seeing how the new system will be like this year.  Since it is first-come first served for Thursday, I still plan to wait in-line early (there's not a lot to do on Day Zero.. haha) but for Friday I will still walk-by throughout the afternoon and see who's waiting early (there are people who may not read these forums and be unaware of the new "call out by #'s" system)

It's absolutely not first-come,first-served for Thursday- we have a list, and that's who will get in. Once you are in (it's served by 1, 2 , 3, 4, etc.) you can indicate where you want to be in the room. It's purely by who registered first. There is no at-con registration, and we will be processing the waiting list people in order as well. We suggest everyone get in line no earlier than 6:00pm. There is no advantage to getting in line any earlier on either day.

The final list is here:
http://www.anime-online.com/fanime_swapmeet/list.php

There are instructions on that page as well!

I will send out an e-mail to everyone on the list closer to the convention.

Eurobeat King

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 25, 2010, 11:02:02 PM
It's absolutely not first-come,first-served for Thursday- we have a list, and that's who will get in. Once you are in (it's served by 1, 2 , 3, 4, etc.) you can indicate where you want to be in the room. It's purely by who registered first. There is no at-con registration, and we will be processing the waiting list people in order as well. We suggest everyone get in line no earlier than 6:00pm. There is no advantage to getting in line any earlier on either day.

The final list is here:
http://www.anime-online.com/fanime_swapmeet/list.php

There are instructions on that page as well!

I will send out an e-mail to everyone on the list closer to the convention.

oh, i see it now.  I wasn't aware that there was a list for Thursday, and that you needed to pre-reg. for Thursday, as with previous years you only needed to pre-reg. for Friday.  Thankfully I have a friend who will let me share her spot on Thursday, even though it's not as high-up on the list as on Friday.  Thanks for clarifying this!  :)

angeljibrille

Quote from: Eurobeat King
oh, i see it now.  I wasn't aware that there was a list for Thursday, and that you needed to pre-reg. for Thursday, as with previous years you only needed to pre-reg. for Friday.  Thankfully I have a friend who will let me share her spot on Thursday, even though it's not as high-up on the list as on Friday.  Thanks for clarifying this!  :)

Yeah, the demand is just overwhelming this year >.< so we needed to make reservations on both days. When you registered you had the option of choosing Thursday, Friday, or both.

Many thanks,
Marisa

FanFicGuru

Quote from: angeljibrille on April 26, 2010, 09:20:38 AM

Yeah, the demand is just overwhelming this year >.< so we needed to make reservations on both days. When you registered you had the option of choosing Thursday, Friday, or both.

Many thanks,
Marisa

Could I go back and change my request from a Full spot to a half spot and would that improve my chances of getting a spot?
Swap meet staff - 2014

angeljibrille

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 26, 2010, 10:49:08 AM

Many thanks,
Marisa

Could I go back and change my request from a Full spot to a half spot and would that improve my chances of getting a spot?

At this poin tthe list is fixed. Please try again next year, sorry!

Eurobeat King

Many thanks,
Marisa

I didn't decide to sell stuff until the end of March, and thankfully my friend is kind enough to let me share her spots on both days.  :)  Else, I would've been among the Top 5 when the pre-reg. for the Swap Meet opened. haha

Zelyhon

I have a question on the possibility of more spaces.  I seem to remember making extra spaces last year when we had way more people show up than we thought we'd have room for originally?  Is there any chance something like that will happen again?  It was a bit packed last year, but with so many on the waiting list, I was curious if it was still a possibility.

Also, since I know that there will be people who didn't preregister and will want to show up and just sell, what will be the policy for them?  Will we only admit them once all the preregistered and waitlisted people have been placed if there's spare room?  If so, what order?  Will we just flatly deny them?

Thanks for the info!
Ben Levy
Swap Meet 2023 Head
Staff

Michi

I'm sharing my full space with a friend (I'm on the registered list, not the wait list). The karaoke contest starts at 6, same time we're going to line up. My name is on the spot, but can I at least have my friend save my spot in line? When I'm done with the karaoke contest (hopefully before 7!) I can run over to the swap meet, but...
~ don't dream it, be it ~

Facebook / Twitter / Tumblr

angeljibrille

Quote from: Zelyhon on April 26, 2010, 07:23:21 PM
I have a question on the possibility of more spaces.  I seem to remember making extra spaces last year when we had way more people show up than we thought we'd have room for originally?  Is there any chance something like that will happen again?  It was a bit packed last year, but with so many on the waiting list, I was curious if it was still a possibility.

Also, since I know that there will be people who didn't preregister and will want to show up and just sell, what will be the policy for them?  Will we only admit them once all the preregistered and waitlisted people have been placed if there's spare room?  If so, what order?  Will we just flatly deny them?

Thanks for the info!

Yes, I considered this. It's extremely unlikely that you would be able to get in on Friday, so I am not going to allow any non-pre-regged entries, but on Thursday people are welcome to line up in the pre-reg line for the possibility of open spaces. I will make sure people on the list get in first, but then I will do first-come-first-served for anyone left in line.

As soon as we fill the 75 spaces, that's it though. Thanks :)

animefreak4o8

can i bring a suitcase in swap meet?
can i also bring a small book case there too?
it is okay to sell a wooden cosplay sword?

Hachimitsu

Quote from: animefreak4o8 on May 02, 2010, 12:01:09 AM

i don't know if your allowed to bring a small book case (maybe or maybe not sure..)
but I can tell you this.. Cosplay swords can be sell if they are used! (i already sold my Keyblades for a dollar since they are damaged. and those are made out of foam boards!). I also sold my ichigo bankai sword (lol, that sword has soo many safety bondage proofmarks from all 3 anime conventions back then) but i can't tell if its wodden or plastic so i assume its both!..
Just make sure its used ^ ^! people like used stuff....erh right????

Ecchi ja Nai

Regarding the rules for any adults-only box, everything seems pretty clear and logical... but what qualifies as a "lid?"

So far all of the other boxes I'm planning on bringing that are rated E-for-Everyone are regular brown cardboard shipping boxes.  They all have four flaps that fold over to cover it up - is this sufficient for my ecchi box?  I plan on having it set off to one side of my space, clearly marked, with the flaps closed until someone of legitimate age asks to see the contents.  If that won't fly, I can empty out one of those white file storage boxes with a lift-off lid, but that would be kind of a pain.

With Fanime and the swap meet finally coming into sight, I've been wondering what people are LOOKING for.  It looks like I'll wind up with four or five good sized boxes of anime-related goodness, and I'm hoping I'll be able to sell most of it (if only to then turn around and buy other people's stuff).  I'll have a fair number of monthly manga anthologies like Young Ace and the various Dengenki magazines, but would anyone be interested in buying them?  Not everyone will be able to actually read them, but that didn't stop me from looking at all the awesome illustrations.

angeljibrille

Quote from: animefreak4o8 on May 02, 2010, 12:01:09 AM

I don't see why not.

No.

Yes.

Sora

I have a question: if we're on the list for both days, but can't sell on one of them, can we still get in for the other day?
"Don't give me any orders."

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Edward Elric on May 04, 2010, 04:23:23 PM
I have a question: if we're on the list for both days, but can't sell on one of them, can we still get in for the other day?

I would think so. I think it will be taken day at a time. For example if you can't make it thursday you'll just lose your spot to someone on the waiting list, but Friday night they'll go through the other list and if you're there, you're all set. Same the other way around I'd guess...
Swap meet staff - 2014

angeljibrille

Quote from: Edward Elric on May 04, 2010, 04:23:23 PM

Yes!

angeljibrille

Quote from: Ecchi ja Nai on May 02, 2010, 11:43:23 PM
Regarding the rules for any adults-only box, everything seems pretty clear and logical... but what qualifies as a "lid?"

Basically you must be able to CLOSE the box when people aren't looking in it :)