I am new to fanime, never been there before, but loves anime for my whole life

Started by Zexion, February 22, 2010, 07:39:30 PM

Zexion

I don't know what I would do once I get there
I am a shy person, I cant just go up to people and start talking
>.<
How do I meet new people and make friends here?

michiko nakano

Mint

Are you going to be cosplaying? Or just another otaku out for an awesome adventure? :]
2012 YO.
Friday: Yin (Darker than black)
Saturday: Alibaba (Magi); Sheryl (Macross Frontier); CC (Code Geass)
Sunday: Ikuto Tsukiyomi (Shugo Chara); Peter Pan (Disney)
Monday: Panda Kigurumi

Zexion

No cosplaying for me this year
I just want to make friends
It is hard to make friends where I live, no one is interested in anime
>.<

michiko nakano

well you've come to the right place :) 

the forums are a great place to make friends. 

if you're cosplaying, find out where the gathering is for that anime/manga and go to it, you'll make lots of friends without having to be too outgoing. 

the con is the easiest place to make friends.  you can just wave at someone and there's a 90% chance they'll want to hug you.  actually there's a 90% chance you can just make eye contact with someone and they'll want to hug you.

there is a 100% chance that you'll get as many hugs as you want, just walk past the hug line.  you won't miss it. 

if you see someone you want to hang out with, ask them if you can take their picture and then ask for a hug and then say you like their outfit/costume, and then just start talking to them.

but if you post a lot on the forums, you will have oodles of people to meet by the time con comes around.  there will even be a forum gathering, so you can meet the people from these forums.

Mint

Ooh. Well I'm sure there are a bunch of people who'd be willing to meet up and hang with you. ^^ I'm heading with my friend, possibly you could be with us? (That is if you don't mind cosplaying girls (And possibly another guy or two) who will spazz at unexpected moments.. :x)
2012 YO.

ewu

• go to panels to meet people with similar interests.
  • Go to ball room dance lessons to spend time dancing with people you don't know and get read for B+W ball.
  • Talk to and hang out with staff, they know whats going on and where to be to meet people.
  • Look @ art in the artists alley and meet the artists
  • see if there are any gatherings that intrigue you: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/board,30.0.html
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Zexion

Heh, well thanks for the info.
Like I said, I cant just say hi (yes, even waving is embarrassing for me)
I heard about "groups"?
O.o
And no I do not mind
I don't care who I am with, because obviously, we are all there for the same common interest so we should all get along
It would be better if someone just came up to me and introduced me to everyone, that I do not mind at all, I just dont want to be by  myself when I am being introduced to a crowd.

michiko nakano

if you post a picture of yourself, so i can know what you look like, i will give you a hug if i see you.

Mint

Well I'm pretty sure there will be just two of us.. Maybe one or two more.. But I'm new to Fanime as well, so the more new friends, the better, right? =D Drop me a PM, and we can set up a meeting place/time. ^^
2012 YO.

Zexion

ewu

I'm moving this to gatherings/meetings because you'll prob get more traffic there.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

michiko nakano

i meant what does your face look like... haha yes we've figured out you're a cute emo boy but maybe after a couple months on the forums you'll decide to post a picture in the "happy members pictures thread" or something.  check it out, see some of us: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,11803.0.html

TC X0 Lt 0X

Well like I do for all of you seeking to meet friends at the Con, you are more then Welcome to hang out with me if you wish, assuming you are not to much of a creeper. Don't worry I have high tolerance for that kind of thing most of the time.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

michiko nakano

i don't know if this cheers you up at all, but you'll make friends no matter what.  I went for the first time last year and just kind of shyly went to the swap meet, dealers hall, a ballroom class, etc and made a ton of friends without even trying to.  then throughout the con, people that you meet (no matter how briefly you met them) will come up to you and hug you and talk to you like you've known each other for years. 

Kertus

I've found most of the time that the late night and really early morning crowd is really chill, meeting people in gaming works out pretty well too I think since most people are having fun  ;D
Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

Elimeno

The reason I keep coming back to fanime is to meet people, this con by far has the most friendly environment out of all the cons I've been to, you could be sitting against the glass railing just doing nothing but watching the cosplayers walk by and someone will walk up to you and start talking to you.  Also, as previously stated the gaming/arcade room is an easy place to meet a lot of people.  and yeah late night is awesome; thats usually where i have the most fun :P  And if this is your first con (cant remember if you posted it or not) you'll find its a lot easier to talk at a con, I havent really figured out why; probably something about being with like minded people.
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

Jerry

Hey Welcome Zexion! You're definitely in the right place - the majority of regular post-ters around here are all like minded individuals and we wouldnt be here if we werent wanting to make friends and be social and stuff.

Everyone's given out great advise thus far- and it is literally as simple as saying hello to people - being yourself and honest about making new friends. --- as even Executive staff as has - a huge portion of the circle of friends come and participate in one way or another tied with Fanime... its like one big extended family with all the sub divisions of gamers, anime /manga fans, the meme-sters, cosplayers, jokers, and socialites all the same.

but I agree with Michi you may actually want to put a "face" behind the name instead of a camera- though you got a good look going there- even thou i have no idea the difference visual K, emo, goth, indie, post modern or 80's rocks---

seems like you already have fellow fan girl/boys that are willing to strike up a conversation. might as well roll with it.
just go with Pms or continue the conversation here.

mingle with cosplayers- or join up a meeting/gathering which are posted all over these forums.  
otherwise enjoy the forums and hope to see ya at the Con.  8)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D