Fine Dining (2010 edition)

Started by Glitch, February 27, 2010, 10:35:21 PM

Glitch

This fanime will be my tenth fanime (pauses for audience applause) thank you, anyway I want to celebrate by going to a nearbye restraunt with my friends.(not sure where, but I wanna try some of the thai places) Thus I thought of bringing this topic from past fanime years back so we could all share our plans, share past experiences,or give advice about eating out.(obviously not fast food places)

N.E.R.V.agent220

First off I declare that Mc Donalds should be closed throughout Fanime weekend and like I said before *Have Your Happy Meal Elswhere* Next I don't know of any Thai restaurants around the area but if you want an amazing brick oven pizza I reccomend Amici's Pizzeria on 225 West Santa Clara st. A bit of a ways to walk but just to loosen yourself up from the crowds of the con.

heeroyuy135

Original Joes is definitely the spot to hit during Fanime.
I remember the first time I was there - it was right after the 2007 Masquerade, and mostly everything in that area was closed except for Original Joes. I went back there in 2009 with a friend of mine who was rooming with me and for the price that I paid for the pasta (and their portions are XBOX HUGE, enough to feed two) it was a good dinner on a Saturday night instead of the Masquerade; also caught some of the Lakers/Nuggets playoff game that night there too.

Peggy Sue's is another nice place.

Kyra_Maverick

Not really considered 'fine dining', but Kukar's House of Pizza on Almaden Blvd. was delicious. It's in the complete opposite direction from most other restaurants in the area, so I'm not sure how many con goers check it out.

Knightfire

As a student of SJSU, I am familiar with a number of the establishment's available. Personally, one of my favorites is Iguana's for mexican food., especially if you are a fan of burrito's. I have yet to tackle it's famed "Burritozilla (5 pounds, 17.5" long), but I have had a number of their menu items. Personal favorite is the fish burrito.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

Glitch

You guys sure seem to love the pizza places. XD But that's cool to know there are other places besides pizza my heart.(with pretty bad, almost uncooked dough)

Quote from: Knightfire on February 28, 2010, 10:31:07 AM
As a student of SJSU, I am familiar with a number of the establishment's available. Personally, one of my favorites is Iguana's for mexican food., especially if you are a fan of burrito's. I have yet to tackle it's famed "Burritozilla (5 pounds, 17.5" long), but I have had a number of their menu items. Personal favorite is the fish burrito.
Some friends of mine plan to tackle that burrito for fanime. That's the one they reffer to "as big as your head" right?

Knightfire

Quote from: Glitch on February 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM
You guys sure seem to love the pizza places. XD But that's cool to know there are other places besides pizza my heart.(with pretty bad, almost uncooked dough)

Some friends of mine plan to tackle that burrito for fanime. That's the one they reffer to "as big as your head" right?

I believe it is. I have seen it in person, it is massive.
Starting work for Fanime 2011

PyronIkari

Quote from: Glitch on February 28, 2010, 12:39:07 PM

Already done Burritozilla. Did it like 5 years ago.

Anyways, Original Joe's has terrible pasta. Their non pasta items are fine, but overcooked pasta, and overly priced for what it was. It's not super expensive, but definitely not worth the price. I've eaten here a number of times, and it's nice that it's opened kinda late, but that's about it.

Really, nothing around the convention is that good unless you're willing to drive, or willing to pay like 30$ a meal. Pizza my Heart, the Pita Pit, Iguana's, etc. are your best bet though. Cheap good food. All the restaurants around the area are mediocre at best... unless you're going to Morton's or a different really nice establishment. So stick with the cheap good food then try to pretend that one of the restaurants are good.

Kyra_Maverick

+ 1 Pita Pit
Sometimes they give you a con goers discount as well.

BrightHeart76

It's a bit farther than I usually like to walk in a city I don't know.  However, I really do like Sonoma Chicken Coop. 
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

Sen

If you're in the mood to spend a bit more for higher quality and slightly smaller portions I suggest you try Arcadia at the Marriott. I love the food there and it's relaxing. (Lobster corn dogs!)

But if you want cheap and tons of quantity go somewhere else.
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

DentyneIce408

If your looking for Thai food, try House of Siam. I love their Seafood Pad Thai. The only problem I got from here are their business hours. -_-
- Shall I leave my mark whether it's good or bad?
- As long as people remember me famous or infamous,
- I  will remain and roam in this world Alive or Dead.

Touya no Miko

I can't exactly remember the name, but it was a little Asian food place that sold bento sets, such as chicken and pork cutlet, with rice, and some kind of tofu. Because of Fanime, they were able to stay open till midnight. I believe it was close to Jack n the Box. Pretty good and not ridiculously expensive.
OMG! What the Fugnuggets is going on?!

michiko nakano

Arcadia is very very nice, and a nice atmosphere to celebrate in.  very classy.  last year i got fish and chips (the chips/fries were fried in goose fat and they were soooo flavorful and even somewhat healthier than normal fries!) and it was a medium sized meal for under nine dollars.  I enjoyed it immensely, not too much food but not too little.  plus you get delicious bread and some sort of seasoned/flavored butter spread as a complimentary appetizer.  waiters are suuuper nice and helpful.  there is a neato-looking bar as well! 

PickleBunny

There's a House of Siam on Second St. (151 S 2nd St, San Jose, CA 95113).  It's between the San Jose Art Museum and San Jose State's campus.  I went there a few years ago and I remember it being pretty good.  As far as I know, that's the only Thai in the area and it is within walking distance of the convention center (probably 15 minutes).
MusicFest Staff 2005
MusicFest Second 2006-2011

heeroyuy135

Anyone been to Rokko (55 S. Market St, San Jose, CA 95113)?

Glitch

I was planning to go to House of Siam in 2008 but had to be really careful with my money that year. I may try again this year.
Anybody eaten at E&O trading Company?

Sen

Quote from: Glitch on March 01, 2010, 11:35:12 PM
I was planning to go to House of Siam in 2008 but had to be really careful with my money that year. I may try again this year.
Anybody eaten at E&O trading Company?

I haven't personally eaten there but I know people who have eaten at the San Francisco one. I haven't heard anything good about it.

Il Fornaio is good too!
Claudia

Chair Radio '15
Fan Services Division メンバーサービス共同本部長
   Member '15
   Director '10-'13
   Assistant Director '08-'09
Registration Staff '05-'07

Menchi

The only places I could recommend for eating are fifteen minutes away by car.  If you enjoy a good cheese steak then you must go to Amato's.  Better than the stuff you get from the source, though any Philly-natives would probably disagree. 

N.E.R.V.agent220

Quote from: Menchi on March 03, 2010, 02:07:48 PM
The only places I could recommend for eating are fifteen minutes away by car.  If you enjoy a good cheese steak then you must go to Amato's.  Better than the stuff you get from the source, though any Philly-natives would probably disagree. 
There is actually a cheesesteak shop nearby in Downtown San Jose(76 East Santa Clara St.) I love their steak fries