Norcal spring 2010 gathering (sacamento/Yolo/solano county)

Started by OGIGA, March 02, 2010, 05:19:00 PM

OGIGA

I found out about this gathering at UC Davis from the cosplay.com forum and thought you guys would be interested too. I'm very excited about this gathering since I graduated from here and know the place well. Hope posting this here is appropriate.

Date: TBA (likely late March or some time April)

Since the event is outdoors at a public place, the first thing that comes to my mind is a LACK OF WEAPONS POLICY! You get to be respected like an adult and be responsible for your own actions, assuming that you are an adult. Bring your "LIVE" steel and cool-looking weapons and don't do anything stupid.  ;) Pray that it won't rain (it's raining right now).

Mirai Noah

Hi! Another UCD grad here. I'm also Mirai Noah on Cos.com.  :)

The date has been set for March 27th, actually, from 10am to about 3 or 4pm.

I'd actually suggest against bringing any type of weapons, because it is a public place, but most importantly, it is part of the UCD campus. A few years back, a grad student got in a lot of trouble for bringing a replica rifle on campus. So... I'd suggest great caution in bringing any.

OGIGA

It seems like people are still debating about the date. Is there a person "in charge" that has the final decision?

The thing about weapons is that everybody is responsible for themselves. The only rules that I can think of are federal, state, county, and campus laws, which are a lot less restrictive than Fanime "laws". Please be aware that the UCD Police Department are kind of bored so they might entertain themselves by harassing us so consider that in choice of props. Gun-like props certainly will attract attention. I would suggest putting away the weapon-like props before entering City of Davis because Davis Police Department are just money-hungry and will do anything to take your money (perhaps ticket you for having a weapon-like object). Other than that, I think it'll great!

OGIGA

Oh, I just realized that the person who started the topic (Bohe) edited the first post on Feb 28, after all the debate, and the first post says March 27. So I guess Bohe is in charge. :P

Mirai Noah

Yeah, Bohe's the one in charge, since he started the thread over at Cos.com.

I'd still be weary about bringing weapons, but I guess that's not my decision to make...

Kaori

Mirai, I'm still kind of a maybe on that. :/ So.......yeah, I hope I can go but I may be home that weekend to see my sister since she has a different spring break than me.
Current Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Watanabe Kanako- Star Driver
Ayuzawa Misaki- Kaichou wa Maid-sama

Mirai Noah

^ Oh hey there again. XD

I'm still not exactly sure what's up with gathering, since I haven't hear from Bohe in awhile...

sael

A little note on the weapons at this gathering:

I'd be careful about any sort of weapon being carried on campus currently, what with the current police activity due to student protests. Live steal is a risk, I'm sure that the police will take it as a threat. Gun-type props are a likely a no-no, for reasons mentioned above. We have people practicing kendo in front of the Craft Center most nights, though, so I'm inclined to believe that wood props would be fine (as long as you aren't wacking each other with them).

Once you're in the Arboretum (not the part near Mrak), there tends to be very little surveillance. Aside from a few joggers, a student or two sitting by the water, there's generally no one about. The walk down to the gazebo is fairly long and few people bother to go out that far.

Not to mention that the 27th is the end of Spring Break, Davis tends to be pretty quiet when we're not in session.