...What is this about hotel... Deposits???

Started by Foxberry, March 06, 2010, 04:17:25 AM

Gwydion

You know, I've never been charged more than what I estimated on my debit card. (Don't own a credit card) Last year it was about $330-350 for the weekend, and that was all I had taken out. One year I was told about a deposit (at Sainte Claire), but it was like 50 bucks a day. The way they explained it, it was just a hold on the money that was released at the end of the stay. And I never lost anymore than what the room cost in the first place after the con was over.

Of course, I always make sure to keep at least $500 in checking to cover any incidentals, and since it's where I pay everything there's often more. But I doubt they're going to charge you more than the rate we're given in the first place.

Foxberry

Quote from: kohana ichibana on March 09, 2010, 07:05:40 AM
I asked the fairmont and this is my reply. (I emailed because my phone had died and I really wanted to know)

Fairmont:
"If a deposit is taken for your reservation, the information on the amount should be provided on the website where it was booked." Meaning Fanime Housing website. I was also told to contact the website which I booked on.

This is what I was told by Fanime Housing:
"If you are referring to the deposit that the hotel request when you check in, that will be $100 per day whether you pay in cash or swipe a credit or debit card. This $100 per day is in addition to the cost of your room."

They also told me the hotels don't usually do this. So I have no idea and I think I'm going to verbally call them this time.

...But Fanime's site never said anything about deposits. -_- I'm really not liking this even more now.

michiko nakano : Ugh see that's what I'm worried about. I honestly don't think it's right that it's 100$ per night and that's charging nearly maxing out our credit card. How is this even legal if hotels don't normally do this? I'm even more frustrated now than I was before.

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Foxberry on March 09, 2010, 03:39:14 PM
Quote from: kohana ichibana on March 09, 2010, 07:05:40 AM
I asked the fairmont and this is my reply. (I emailed because my phone had died and I really wanted to know)

Fairmont:
"If a deposit is taken for your reservation, the information on the amount should be provided on the website where it was booked." Meaning Fanime Housing website. I was also told to contact the website which I booked on.

This is what I was told by Fanime Housing:
"If you are referring to the deposit that the hotel request when you check in, that will be $100 per day whether you pay in cash or swipe a credit or debit card. This $100 per day is in addition to the cost of your room."

They also told me the hotels don't usually do this. So I have no idea and I think I'm going to verbally call them this time.

...But Fanime's site never said anything about deposits. -_- I'm really not liking this even more now.

michiko nakano : Ugh see that's what I'm worried about. I honestly don't think it's right that it's 100$ per night and that's charging nearly maxing out our credit card. How is this even legal if hotels don't normally do this? I'm even more frustrated now than I was before.

Hotels DO normally do this. The amount and method may vary, but security deposits are not rare. Having stayed in hotels all across the country (and internationally) I can attest to this. The fairmont charging $100/night is a bit expensive, as the Marriott and the Hilton both charge $50/night for their deposit, but again, that is the hotel's policy.

This deposit is usually posted as an "authorized" charge. Meaning that you won't see it when the official charge is processed, but it will be pending on your account and tie up these funds for the weekend, especially considering that it's a holiday weekend, which is why attendees need to be particularly attentive if they have a very tight budget. If the room at the Hilton is going to run you $300 for 3 nights, expect the authorizing charge to be ~$450. When the charge finally goes through roughly 1-3 business days following checkout, it will be that original $300, but the security deposit is to cover the hotel in case you thrash the room and take off.

Again, it seems that Moonblossom has had some exceptional service from some of their hotel staff, so perhaps speaking with some of the staff at the hotel in person can help you circumvent this, but I would not hold my breath, nor would I try to "lock in" a no-deposit deal right now, over 8 weeks before Fanime is supposed to happen. Why?

Now:
Fanime attendee: Hey, what's this about a deposit? Is there any way I could just pay my room cost with no deposit fee?
Helpful attendant on the phone: Sure thing. Anything to please the customer!

At Fanime:
Fanime attendee: Right, and I"m not being charged a deposit right?
Check-in attendant: Actually, you are.
Attendee: But...I spoke with someone...uh...Jennifer was her name?
Attendant: Jennifer no longer works here. I'm sorry, we expect deposits from everyone.
Attendee: X_X

In short: plan on the deposit.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Moonblossom

Just in case I was unclear earlier - I was not in any way suggesting anyone ask the hotel staff to circumvent deposits. What I suggested that she ask, and that the hotel would likely be amenable to, was to make a note ahead of time that she would be checking in with one credit card but paying with another. It was in reply to the "see if I can put the hold on another credit card or something" part of the statement.

Dany

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 09, 2010, 04:19:03 PM
Now:
Fanime attendee: Hey, what's this about a deposit? Is there any way I could just pay my room cost with no deposit fee?
Helpful attendant on the phone: Sure thing. Anything to please the customer!

At Fanime:
Fanime attendee: Right, and I"m not being charged a deposit right?
Check-in attendant: Actually, you are.
Attendee: But...I spoke with someone...uh...Jennifer was her name?
Attendant: Jennifer no longer works here. I'm sorry, we expect deposits from everyone.
Attendee: X_X

In short: plan on the deposit.

Or get things in writing and bring it with you to the hotel.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

Foxberry

Quote from: Moonblossom on March 09, 2010, 07:54:08 PM
Just in case I was unclear earlier - I was not in any way suggesting anyone ask the hotel staff to circumvent deposits. What I suggested that she ask, and that the hotel would likely be amenable to, was to make a note ahead of time that she would be checking in with one credit card but paying with another. It was in reply to the "see if I can put the hold on another credit card or something" part of the statement.

Yeah that's about right, using one credit card for deposit, the other for the actual payment. ^^

Moonblossom

The more I think about it, the more that's a really good idea.

I'm exceptionally lucky in that my credit limit is kind of ridonkulous, since I shared a credit card with my folks for nearly a decade. I could pay for an entire car (we're talking like a Honda Civic or something here, not a Bentley or a Lambo) on my card in one shot, were I so inclined. But I know several people who would basically hit or surpass their limits on a $500 hotel bill and $100 a night deposit charges, leaving no room for emergencies.

jAded

I usually reserve with one card and check in with another card and it's never been an issue.

As with what people have been saying, most, if not all hotels, usually put a deposit on your account and that deposit is returned when you stay the days that you are supposed to after you check out, pending there was no damage to your room.

It usually takes a few business days for that transaction to go through.

KyraEnsui

As outdated they are, it is true even on the hotel's website that they do charge security deposits. There are few threads are posted in advance to tell that it is best to add into your budget. It was created so a thread like this won't come up too many times like in the past and it is usually when Fanime is rolling by fast. Plus, each hotel charges differently on deposit like Hilton. I made a budget sample here: http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12631.msg332614.html#msg332614 about it.

Other than that, it is best to have a back up for any situations.