...What is this about hotel... Deposits???

Started by Foxberry, March 06, 2010, 04:17:25 AM

Foxberry

After looking over something I found out on 4chan about hotel nightmares...

I came upon a commenter who said that they were charged 700$ for a deposit for only 3 nights!? I also looked through the forums here and found some old-out-of-date information about deposits.

I'm booked at the fairmont and I've read that they charge 100$+ per night? What is this? Why wasn't it mentioned on the hotel sites or the fanime housing?

I'm booked at 87-89$ per night for Thurs-Monday, I don't have that sort of money to be throwing out another 400$ on my credit card!? To equal nearly 800$ for these dates. Nearly a thousand dollars for the dates??

What is this? (I also read a little more and I do understand that it's an insurance thing I guess but still that means I'm out 400$ or rather my boyfriend is since he's covering the rooms)

Moonblossom

Deposits are returned to you at the end of the stay, assuming you didn't ruin or break anything in the room. It's not a full charge, it's a temporary hold on your credit card. It's not "throwing out" money, it's just to protect the hotel in case of unexpected events, but you will get it back.

Some hotels don't even charge it. I've *never* been charged a hotel deposit, I don't know why, maybe I'm just lucky.

michiko nakano

yeah moonblossom pretty much explained it, kudos!  

to further expound, they (hypothetically) would charge the amount of one extra night.  This is because if you change your mind that evening and decide not to stay, that means that they now have an empty hotel room that they won't make profit on for that first night.  so they make you pay for it.

of course, if you do use the hotel room and everything goes accordingly, they will put the money back on the card and bob's your uncle.

Kyra_Maverick

Last year I paid for my room at the Hilton with my debit card. Paying with debit is a little different so they took a hold for the total up front plus $50 for the whole stay. I got the $50 back a few days later.

Dany

Something else you can do:

If you booked your room through the online system to get the discount, give a call to them and just confirm if there will be any form of holds or deposits on your card before the event and when they will occur. There is usually some way to check that stuff beforehand from the agency itself, and perhaps to even have the terms provided in writing via email or other means. You might also be able to change your payment method if there is a problem.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

M

Moonblossom pretty much has it correct. Although keep in mind that although the deposits are a temporary charge, banks will handle it differently. I've seen some banks that will actually charge the amount and then refund it, while some will still allow you to use that amount (i.e. going over your limit instead of rejecting your card for the amount of the hold).

From talking to various people that have worked at a bank (and without getting too much into it), it seems that more banks will take debit account temporary charges as a hold and won't allow you to use those funds but will let you do this with a credit card.

These threads come up every few months... Maybe we should have a sticky? :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: MPLe on March 07, 2010, 04:23:41 AM
Moonblossom pretty much has it correct. Although keep in mind that although the deposits are a temporary charge, banks will handle it differently. I've seen some banks that will actually charge the amount and then refund it, while some will still allow you to use that amount (i.e. going over your limit instead of rejecting your card for the amount of the hold).

From talking to various people that have worked at a bank (and without getting too much into it), it seems that more banks will take debit account temporary charges as a hold and won't allow you to use those funds but will let you do this with a credit card.

These threads come up every few months... Maybe we should have a sticky? :P

http://forums.fanime.com/index.php/topic,12444.0.html

>_>
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Foxberry

Thanks guys, I'm going to contact the hotel and see if I can put the hold on another credit card or something. I understand that it's returned to me after the convention but even still that's something I'd like to avoid putting on my main credit card.

lyricaldanichan

If you can do it, I would just pay in cash for the room and the deposit on a credit card. Everything is then paid for and no unexpected purchases issues.

Moonblossom

Quote from: Foxberry on March 08, 2010, 12:54:50 AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to contact the hotel and see if I can put the hold on another credit card or something. I understand that it's returned to me after the convention but even still that's something I'd like to avoid putting on my main credit card.

They should be more than willing to do this. Every direct hotel staff I've ever dealt with (not counting morons at 1-800 reservation numbers, but that's a whole other ball of wax) has been pleasant and eager to help me with even the smallest, niggliest details. They're there to make you comfortable and cater to your needs, it's part of their job. Good luck!

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Foxberry on March 08, 2010, 12:54:50 AM

I've been told that checks work as well...you might want to ask about that option. ^_^
Swap meet staff - 2014

Jerry

Quote from: Foxberry on March 06, 2010, 04:17:25 AM

not that everything on the internet is "true" - especially from the internet pages of 4chan  ::)

Hotels are always suppose to tell you upfront verbally and/or have DETAILED description in writing why said charges [deposit & otherwise] are being made.

as others have suggested in this thread- if your paying cash/ debit card - they will ask for a deposit [varies on hotel]
if your are paying by Credit Card - a deposit will be on a "hold" phase - until the stay is complete and again assuming no additional charges are made*

That or whoever stayed in the hotel really messed up the room.

* -> also be weary of those pesky TV remotes, Internet Access ports, and Telephones in the hotel room.

additional charges can easily add up if you use the hotel room phone [any call even local], pressing random buttons on the TV remote [always dangerous], and/or acesss internet [if the hotel doesnt tell you "internet is free"

so theres ALOT of factors for "random" charges on any hotel bill - so be careful and mindful of what the hotel policies are and what goes on in the room if you have lots of people in it.

better safe than sorry!
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

FanFicGuru

Quote from: Jerry on March 08, 2010, 10:17:48 AM
Quote from: Foxberry on March 06, 2010, 04:17:25 AM

not that everything on the internet is "true" - especially from the internet pages of 4chan  ::)

Hotels are always suppose to tell you upfront verbally and/or have DETAILED description in writing why said charges [deposit & otherwise] are being made.

as others have suggested in this thread- if your paying cash/ debit card - they will ask for a deposit [varies on hotel]
if your are paying by Credit Card - a deposit will be on a "hold" phase - until the stay is complete and again assuming no additional charges are made*

That or whoever stayed in the hotel really messed up the room.

* -> also be weary of those pesky TV remotes, Internet Access ports, and Telephones in the hotel room.

additional charges can easily add up if you use the hotel room phone [any call even local], pressing random buttons on the TV remote [always dangerous], and/or acesss internet [if the hotel doesnt tell you "internet is free"

so theres ALOT of factors for "random" charges on any hotel bill - so be careful and mindful of what the hotel policies are and what goes on in the room if you have lots of people in it.

better safe than sorry!

Note: Especially the phone. Good lord, don't ever pick that thing up unless you're calling the front desk. >_<
Swap meet staff - 2014

tenton

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 08, 2010, 12:29:24 PM
Note: Especially the phone. Good lord, don't ever pick that thing up unless you're calling the front desk. >_<

Usually room to room calls are fine, too. At least I've never had a problem with that before (I haven't tried that in any of the Fanime official hotels, but room to room in the same hotel is typically free).

Dany

Quote from: tenton on March 08, 2010, 02:17:30 PM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 08, 2010, 12:29:24 PM

Usually room to room calls are fine, too. At least I've never had a problem with that before (I haven't tried that in any of the Fanime official hotels, but room to room in the same hotel is typically free).

I don't think I've stayed at a hotel yet that does not allow you to call another room free of charge, least of all a chain hotel, which nearly all the main hotels are. Other rooms, room service, the front desk, the spa...it's all interconnected in some way so the hotel itself is covered for it in their monthly business rates. That's why they don't have to charge you for calling in-house services.

If you ever wonder, there is usually a list somewhere in the room, whether it's on the phone, in a little binder on the desk, whatever, that will tell you what calls are charged and what are not, and how much you will be charged per call.  And if anything unusual comes up? Dispute it at the front desk BEFORE checking out. It's much easier to do it then than to try to do it after you've left.

lyricaldanichan

I was actually surprised that the hotels are doing deposits now. I just hope this is not because of the attendees and this is standard practice for anybody who stays.

Foxberry

Quote from: Jerry on March 08, 2010, 10:17:48 AMnot that everything on the internet is "true" - especially from the internet pages of 4chan

I'm not saying that it IS true. I'm saying even checking here people (and quite a few) are saying that it's 100$ extra per night at Fairmont which is STILL putting my bill near a thousand dollars for the stay. Whether or not it's held and returned to me I'd rather not take a chance of maxing out a card or something along those lines, please understand where I am coming from. I have every right to worry over something that I've never heard of. Which is why I've come here to ask, if I believed it completely I'd not mention it here or I'd overreact on the telephone. I just wanted answers before I talk with the hotel staff. Also when we booked the hotel, there was nothing that stated this deposit stuff. I'm just glad that I found out.

As for those suggesting that I pay in cash, we've already used the credit card to book the Fairmont. Also we prefer to use credit card and to leave cash open for our time there, it's easier to gauge our use money that way. I don't go crazy at dealers halls or AA's so the majority of our money will be used for food or little things. So again it's easier just for us to keep money for our food needs and emergancy and use the credit card only for hotel room.

Moonblossom; Thank you, I'm glad to hear that. I've just never did this before. We've never had to get a hotel room ourselves for any convention. Either we've stayed at a friend's room or we were just very close to the con.

kohana ichibana

I asked the fairmont and this is my reply. (I emailed because my phone had died and I really wanted to know)

Fairmont:
"If a deposit is taken for your reservation, the information on the amount should be provided on the website where it was booked." Meaning Fanime Housing website. I was also told to contact the website which I booked on.

This is what I was told by Fanime Housing:
"If you are referring to the deposit that the hotel request when you check in, that will be $100 per day whether you pay in cash or swipe a credit or debit card. This $100 per day is in addition to the cost of your room."

They also told me the hotels don't usually do this. So I have no idea and I think I'm going to verbally call them this time.
FANIME 2013 so far away... ;-;
ibekorra.tumblr.com FOLLOW MEEE

2012 ANIME EXPO COSPLAY LIST:
Misa Amane (Death Note), Korra (LoK), Tohru Honda (Furuba), Yoruichi (BLEACH)

michiko nakano

crap, now i'm starting to get a little worried.  if my room's gonna cost around 352 for the entire weekend, plus 100 for each night, it's gonna be 752 for the whole weekend?  Jesus Christ, and i'm paying with a debit card...

...even if people assure me that won't happen i'll still be super nervous...  maybe i should consider putting it on my parents' credit card D:

Dany

Quote from: Foxberry on March 08, 2010, 11:22:59 PM
As for those suggesting that I pay in cash, we've already used the credit card to book the Fairmont. Also we prefer to use credit card and to leave cash open for our time there, it's easier to gauge our use money that way. I don't go crazy at dealers halls or AA's so the majority of our money will be used for food or little things. So again it's easier just for us to keep money for our food needs and emergancy and use the credit card only for hotel room.

I agree completely with this rationale. In fact, I have one credit card that I now devote exclusively to travel expenses, including flights, hotel, and occasionally incidentals on the road. I just pay it off after the convention is done so that all the holds/deposits/etc resolve and I'm only left with what is required of me. The advantage is that if it's a little more than I expect, or if I miscalculate my budget, it doesn't hit my checking account and risk things like bouncing the rent check :) It also gives me a nice snapshot of nearly every expense on my trip, so I can have a realistic idea of just how much the event cost me.

Quote from: michiko nakano on March 09, 2010, 09:45:42 AM
crap, now i'm starting to get a little worried.  if my room's gonna cost around 352 for the entire weekend, plus 100 for each night, it's gonna be 752 for the whole weekend?  Jesus Christ, and i'm paying with a debit card...
...even if people assure me that won't happen i'll still be super nervous...  maybe i should consider putting it on my parents' credit card D:

You might be able to go that route! Traditionally they ask for the actual card at check-in, but way to get around this is to see if your hotel will accept a third-party authorization form. It's a form that the hotel sends to the cardholder in order to get authorization for use of their card without the cardholder being present.  Your parents would sign it, send it back (maybe with a copy of the front and back of the credit card), and the hotel notes it on your reservation.

This can be really helpful because in some cases your parents can sometimes specify what is allowed to be charged.  For example they can authorize room and taxes only, and you can present your debit card for incidentals such as room service, phone use, etc.  At the end of your stay, you can ask that the rest of the charges be put on your debit card instead. :)