fairmont san jose?

Started by gwhsanimeclub, March 07, 2010, 11:57:06 PM

gwhsanimeclub

the only hotel left appears to be the fairmont and my group plans on booking 2 rooms from the 29-31st... however, after checking a couple of threads im kind of concerned. it appears as tho you pay AFTER your stay. however, the only 18+ year old in our group isnt the one who will be paying online even tho she's checking in for us. should i have her book our room online or would we need the person who's booking our room (one of our relatives) to come down to san jose and pay on the day we leave????

also... does anyone have any clearer info on the fairmont (aside from what the fanime website says). like how its rooms are like (the pictures are too tiny), room service hours, elevators i guess, breakfast, beds, bathroom, whats a rollaway bed?, keys reliability (ive heard of really annoyingly faulty and hard-to-use keys/cards), etc.

Kyra_Maverick

When you reserve your room online, the card info you provide is really just to make sure the hotel can charge you late/no show fees. Some hotels need that card to check you in, others don't. If it's possible, I would use the card of the person who is actually going to be with you just to be safe. I've always used the same card to reserve and pay, so maybe someone who has changed cards can give you more info.

Rollaway beds are just what the name entails. A small bed (maybe twin or dorm size) on wheels that sometimes folds up. Only king bedded rooms can request one and some hotels charge for its use, whether per day or one fee for the whole stay.

As for what the Fairmont is like, I've never stayed there myself. The Black and White Ball was hosted there last year and from what I saw heading up to the ballroom it's a really classy place.

Roguethe

I think Kyra summed up all the payment questions.
As for how the fairmont rooms are, I've used the Sea Cliff suite during Fanime, which was very nice.
It has a sitting room with a little bar area and TV, A large bathroom and a vanity mirror and bench, which comes in handy if anyone needs to apply anything for a cosplay, a closet, and the bedroom with very comfy beds, and another TV and drawers, plus a safe for valuables. There was also a full length mirror, another handy thing for cosplays.
The room service never bothered us when we were there. But all you have to do is put the little door hanger on the knob, and they won't enter. I was able to use the elevator every time I needed it. No where near as crowded as Hilton.
Most extra things involved with the room have an extra fee, From internet to breakfast.
I would say it's best for you to go down the alley and find some where else for breakfast.
No sense wasting $10 for a Muffin and fruit.

I'm pretty sure Fairmont is the most expensive of the hotels used for Fanime, which is why it's the one last to be booked.
Since you asked about breakfast, I feel I should just give you this advice, don't bother spending your money on things like breakfast or room service. you could get more for less with a short walk.

I draw sometimessss

michiko nakano

Quote from: Rogue-Ayanami on March 09, 2010, 08:51:58 AM
I'm pretty sure Fairmont is the most expensive of the hotels used for Fanime, which is why it's the one last to be booked.
Also, it's not as popular as the Saint Claire, Marriot and Hilton because of the proximity issue. 

Thanks for the info though, i'm going to be helping my friend book a room there because they're new to this stuff.

Foxberry

Honestly it depends on the room. If you're getting a single bed that you'll be sharing with your significant other or something it's only 2-5$ more than say the Hilton or Marriott. However -_- I'm also dealing with a deposit issue with dealing with the Fairmont, apparently the Hilton and Marriott are cheaper for the deposit. Make sure you look into fees and what not. Fanime's Housing didn't even mention deposits.

gwhsanimeclub

Quote from: Foxberry on March 09, 2010, 03:42:38 PM
Honestly it depends on the room. If you're getting a single bed that you'll be sharing with your significant other or something it's only 2-5$ more than say the Hilton or Marriott. However -_- I'm also dealing with a deposit issue with dealing with the Fairmont, apparently the Hilton and Marriott are cheaper for the deposit. Make sure you look into fees and what not. Fanime's Housing didn't even mention deposits.

oh dear... about that, the person who's staying with us is booking two separate rooms for six people (because there's no more double rooms) and i just need to be sure, when we/she books the second room, does she need to put her name and info again or would she need to put four people this time? which would be problematic because according to it, there's no space for "four" people.  :-[

Lan Moore

Well I just reserved my stay ((Still looking for room mates)) and they told me that if there are two adults and 2 children it's the same price but if it's 3 adults it's an extra $10 or so.

ThatBlueDinosaurGuy

Yeah, the Fairmont's the only one remaining. I'm looking for roommates myself as well. Still have yet to book the room. I'm willing to split the costs with anyone looking for roommates themselves. And if it's one bed only, I'll sleep on the floor, I have no problems with that.
Kono bangumi wa, goran no sponsor teikyou de, o kurishimasu ka

Andy

Wonderful hotel, in my opinion the best out of all the ones available. Very classy and nicer looking than the rest for only a couple more bucks, not as crowded as the Hilton or the Marriot and has a lot more to offer with dining, spas and pools. Overall the best hotel of the bunch and the one I go to every year.
Pro, as in: Accomplished, educated, perservering, passionate, precise, great, heroic, better than the rest, pokemon master. Jank, as in: weak, undernourished, failure, disgrace, uneducated, smellys like fish.

Kirinikins

yeah, I heard you have to pay on the day you leave, and also, there's a website that shows rooms and stuff. My friends and I booked a room there for like 6 ppl....even though I'm not sure the max XDDD

http://www.fairmont.com/SanJose?cm_mmc=icppc-_-Branded-SAJ%20-%20San%20Jose%20-%20US-_-google-_-fairmont+hotel+san+jose&OVMTC=Exact&site=&creative=3514288560&OVKEY=fairmont%20hotel%20san%20jose&gclid=CP6Nk9DNjqECFREEiQodjSChRA
it's the website, and it seems to be a very pretty and elegant hotel P:

Yura Kyo Aures

I stayed there last year and my experiance was really good! :D This year we're staying in the Hilton apparantly, but I dunno if I'm too keen on it...I'd rather stay at the Fairmont >_>

EJAY420

This will be my 1st time staying at the Fairmont. I've done the rest and I am hoping to have a good experience with these guys. I know it sucks to walk a little more but my ass needs it!
Most Impressive.

chibibuie

I stayed at the Fairmont last year. Great room with a view, big flatscreen t.v. huge bathroom. All was well except for the hold they put on your card at the time of check-in. They charge the price of all the nights you're staying plus $100 per night on top of that. You will not have access to those funds. So keep that in mind!!!!
*~_^*

ichigocorcor

You have to be present with the card at checkout. All hotels charge the card after the stay, i'm pretty sure that's the whole point of checkout.

We stayed at the Fairmont last year and i literally had to fight my group to demand we stay there again. it was one of the most accommodating hotels i've ever stayed at, it's really close to the convention, the rooms are beautiful (and huge!), and my personal favorite- our room last year had a walk-in closet and mirror/counter OUTSIDE the bathroom so i could get dressed without hogging up the bathroom.

As for a deposit, they don't actually withdraw that amount- usually people pay for hotels with credit cards that have a limit well above the required "deposit", so they're in the clear. but if you want to pay with a debit card i suggest you don't because things could get messy, and obviously you won't be able to use your debit card for the rest of the weekend (i highly, highly recommend bringing cash anyways for the con and just paying attention to it so it doesn't "disappear")

The hilton was also a nice hotel, but obv it gets booked up in like two minutes. and checkout for us was ten in the morning which was NOT okay.

the marriot was probably the worst hotel i've ever seen- i didn't stay there, but our other group did and we had to hike up three flights of stairs every time we needed to get to the room, the room itself was about half the size of ours, and it seemed like everything was broken.

in other words
FAIRMONT IS THE SHIZZ.
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

mariotheotaku

looking forward to staying in that hotel this year, one question though: since we book the room in the Fanime website, do we have to bring anything else aside from the credit card to check in or do we get something like confirmation code from the hotel itself. I'm just curious since this is my first con and the first time i book a hotel like this.

KyraEnsui

Quote from: mariotheotaku on April 28, 2010, 08:36:59 PM
looking forward to staying in that hotel this year, one question though: since we book the room in the Fanime website, do we have to bring anything else aside from the credit card to check in or do we get something like confirmation code from the hotel itself. I'm just curious since this is my first con and the first time i book a hotel like this.

They will need the card that was used to book and your government issued ID. Plus, you would have to be over 18 to check in also.

The-O

Great place to stay, live music and bar in the lobby area at night, though might be out of place for the kiddies or underaged folks. Yes, as the others have stated, it's a rather classy place, so please at least try to be courteous to the people who are there not attending Fanime, and not be overbearingly loud.  ;)
The-O Network Online Executive Editor
Con Reports, Photos, News, Interviews, Reviews, and more!
www.t-ono.net

BonjourHoney

I don't know if this is the place to post it, but I just called the Fairmont to ask about their deposit policy, and it is as follows:

If you pay with credit/debit card, the deposit is $100/night on top of the room charge.

If you pay with cash, the deposit is $300 flat on top of the room charge, all expected upfront in cash.

...though it would be helpful since there seemed to be some confusion over it. ^^;

Oh, and in regards to using the same card to check in/pay that you used to reserve via Fanime housing, last year I reserved via Fanime housing with my own debit card, and at check in, my g/f used her credit card to pay. There were no problems there. They didn't even ask for my card that I used to reserve. =D
2015 Cosplays:
Libra - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Arno Dorian (default) - Assassin's Creed: Unity
------
http://spazzy-azi.tumblr.com