So......how does this work again?

Started by amaya_JDB, March 11, 2010, 10:28:18 AM

amaya_JDB

I booked a room in the Fairmont for 4 nights, and I don't understand how the whole thing works.

Do they take the money out automatically when I booked it, or do the take out the $356 when we check in, or what?

Oh, and also what does "no rollaway" mean?
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist
In other words, I'm one busy mofo!

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:
Kagome (Inuyasha) <all weekend>

tenton

Generally hotels do not officially charge your card until you check out.

They may place a hold on your card when you check in, for deposit purposes. This is typically less than the room fee, but it'll depend on the hotel.

No rollaway means you cannot get a rollaway bed in that room. You probably have a room with two beds in it and their fire codes don't allow for a rollaway bed in that room.

amaya_JDB

So is the deposit part of the whole fee or is it separate?

And also what should I expect in the Fairmont (fee wise)? Like valet, bagging, etc. I read on the site that they don't allow self parking anymore which sucks.
Occupation: Musician/singer/nurse/student/cashier/cosplayer/otaku/poet/writer/cook/lover/gamer/artist/maniac/woman/foodie/DDRist

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Stythys

a deposit is money that they take out for the duration of your stay, in case you ditch them, etc., but is returned to you on check out.
"We should not be less than what we are."

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Stythys on March 11, 2010, 12:10:04 PM
a deposit is money that they take out for the duration of your stay, in case you ditch them, etc., but is returned to you on check out.

Do you (or anyone else) know how much the deposit usually is?

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Kertus

Mario '06. Sven '08. Jared '09. Gai '10. Cobra '11. Kenji '12. Spike '13.
irc.rizon.net #fanime Click here to connect to IRC

FanFicGuru

tl;dr?

$100/night deposit at the fairmont. If you're staying for 3 nights, expect to  be charged your hotel fees+$300 upon check in on whatever method of payment you are using. Their deposit fees are a bit more expensive than Marriot/Hilton which sit at $50/night.

So, in the words of Scar, "BE PREPARED!"
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Kyra_Maverick

amaya_JDB

Quote from: FanFicGuru on March 11, 2010, 04:41:35 PM
tl;dr?

$100/night deposit at the fairmont. If you're staying for 3 nights, expect to  be charged your hotel fees+$300 upon check in on whatever method of payment you are using. Their deposit fees are a bit more expensive than Marriot/Hilton which sit at $50/night.

So, in the words of Scar, "BE PREPARED!"

wait....$100 a night???

so..I'm staying there for 4 nights, so.....it'll be $400 deposit vs. $356 for the whole thing?????

I still don't get it

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

Dany

Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 11, 2010, 05:38:58 PM

I still don't get it

The two threads a few posts up have a lot of info that might help clear up your questions.  Also, check your reservation paperwork too.  To give you an example, here is what is on the email I received from Fanime Housing for my reservation for the Hilton:

IMPORTANT HOTEL POLICIES:
Deposit Policy:   Credit Card Guarantee or Check Deposit of One Night's Room & Tax
Guaranteed By:   -Dany's Credit Card Info-
Cancellation Policy: Last day to cancel is 5/24/2010

Note the deposit policy.  Mine has a credit card on it, as a guarantee, so if I don't show up they can charge me a cancellation fee automatically, which explains the "Guaranteed By" line. If I had a check, it might have a check number and bank info.

I've not used cash/check to reserve before, so I am not as familiar with how that check is handled.

2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

amaya_JDB

Quote from: Dany on March 11, 2010, 05:52:47 PM
Quote from: amaya_JDB on March 11, 2010, 05:38:58 PM

I still don't get it

The two threads a few posts up have a lot of info that might help clear up your questions.  Also, check your reservation paperwork too.  To give you an example, here is what is on the email I received from Fanime Housing for my reservation for the Hilton:

IMPORTANT HOTEL POLICIES:
Deposit Policy:   Credit Card Guarantee or Check Deposit of One Night's Room & Tax
Guaranteed By:   -Dany's Credit Card Info-
Cancellation Policy: Last day to cancel is 5/24/2010

Note the deposit policy.  Mine has a credit card on it, as a guarantee, so if I don't show up they can charge me a cancellation fee automatically, which explains the "Guaranteed By" line. If I had a check, it might have a check number and bank info.

I've not used cash/check to reserve before, so I am not as familiar with how that check is handled.

AH! ok, I see now. I was about to panic -.- silly me

Thank you all very much ^^

Fanime 2012 Cosplays:

BrightHeart76

Do yourself a favor.  Make a list of all of your questions and concerns.  Then call the Fairmont.  Not their customer support line, call the Fairmont you'll be staying at.  Ask them your questions.  You'll have a much more reliable answer that way.  Deposits alone cause a lot of people confusion.  Sometimes they're charged, sometimes thery're not.  You should be prepared for a charge if that is the Fairmont's policy.  Again, best to get an answer about that from them.  We can only tell you our experiences, the Fairmont can tell you what their actual policies are. 

FYI the difference between a deposit and a Guarantee is that a guarantee is to protect the hotel from being stiffed by people reserving a room and not showing up.  If you don't show up and you fail to cancel your reservation in time they will charge you for at least the first nights stay.  A Deposit is to protect the hotel from any charges or damages created by you during your stay.  Like I said, sometimes they charge a deposit sometimes they don't.

Be informed.  Contact the hotel.
Sometimes I'm glad I became a teacher.  Other times I wish I had simply become a ninja.

InsaneChan

As far as parking goes, the Fairmont only offers valet parking, which is a whopping $26 a night. A little ridiculous. If you can, look at other places in the area that offer long-term parking. Most garages offer weekend AND holiday rates, so you might get a good deal.
Love. Life. fANIME.