Pre-Reg Closed...

Started by Tsu, April 03, 2010, 04:09:26 AM

Tsu

I'm a little disappointed that the pre-reg closing date wasn't announced anywhere on the front page or the twitter account like in prior years.  There wasn't any warning given unless you went to the registration page itself.  Even the Registration FAQ pinned on the board didn't announce the date.  Normally I put off pre-reg as long as I can because of financial issues, and grab one at the last minute possible when it's noted on the front page... no such luck this year.  Is there any hope for an extension like in some prior years?  I'm seriously bummed, I've never attended (6 years now) without a pre-reg badge.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

KyraEnsui

It was announced on the front page for when the last deadline was announced. I remember since I wrote it down and I do remember being tweet to my phone too.

Zxcz44

What a bummer. I really should have pre-reg'd last month. First time I'm not getting a pre-reg badge too this year. :(

Tsu

On Jan 16th (now the second page) they did post that the prices were going up to $55 until March 31st... but it didn't actually say that it was going to stop being pre-reg.  

QuotePre-registration is now $55 per person until March 31, 2010, 11:59:59 PM Pacific Standard Time. Click here to register now!

http://www.fanime.com/2010/01/16/pre-reg-update/#comments

November 9th, they said almost the exact same thing, just with a different cost and deadline... 
QuoteSingle and group pre-registration is now $50 per membership badge until Thursday, December 31, 2009, 11:59:59 PM Pacific Standard Time. Click here to register now!

And again on Oct 30th...
QuoteRegistration for FanimeCon 2010 is now up! Single and group registrations are currently available at a price of $45 per badge until November 6, 2009. Click here to register now!

The same type of language was always used, which never indicated that pre-reg was actually ending at any given time... just that the prices would rise as of March 31st.

From what I see on the twitter feed, there wasn't any info about the price rising, or the closing time for pre-registration.  :/

KyraEnsui

I know that for past several years since 2004, they always cut off the date for Pre-reg into Early Reg when Fanime is only a month away. Dates changes, but patterns stayed the same every year.

And plus, Pre-registration was opened since October until end of March so we were given several chances to have done it before then.

ewu

Unfortunately you run the risk of paying higher prices and missing pre-registration when you wait. We do announce when the current price break ends, however, that is as a courtesy and not as a policy.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Kyra_Maverick

I would have liked it to be announced on the front page, but I thought it was pretty obvious that this was going to be the last segment for pre-reg.

Tsu

I wouldn't have minded paying the extra 5-10 bucks at the end of the pre-reg segment, had I known it was actually ending.  That's the thing.  I mean, now it says that Early Reg is closing on May 19th- that's it, it's over- but we didn't get any info like that regarding pre-reg.  I used to grab my pre-reg the moment it opened, but nowadays it's easier to pay the $55-$60 when I've actually got the money for it than $45 when I don't, and letting it rack up APR charges.

I'm just bummed, is all.  I would've loved a small grace period to pay the Early Reg price and still get the pre-reg badge.  It's ultimately my mistake that I didn't get one, but I've come to rely on the messages on the front page for years now, and they didn't give any warning this year. :/

Gaki

This is a pretty depressing situation.  I thought it was going to be a situation of the price of the pre-reg going up, not it closing, period.  Guess it was a misunderstanding on my part, but this seriously sucks, especially having it happen two years in a row.

And as for cutting the pre-reg date off when it\\\'s a month away -- it happens on Memorial Day weekend, at the end of the month, which means it should be cut off in late April, not at the end of March, and early reg can be done throughout the months of April and May leading up to the con.  But hell, getting to this point, it just feels like we\\\'re arguing semantics rather than anything else. 
(Not) The Head of FMVs

Fanime FMV Contest Minion 2014
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2015
Fanime FMV Contest Minion Director 2016
Fanime FMV Contest Head 2017
Fanime FMV Contest Second 2018

ewu

The production of the badges are quite time consuming as well as ensuring there are no payment issues that hold over till print time. A month may seem plenty for you, but these people all have substantial responsibilities aside from making sure the badges are created and ready for con. There are reasons for our price breaks and deadlines and unfortunately the con does not stop for any single individual, staff or member.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

LordKefka

Oh come on people... extra $5-$10 for Fanime isn't anything to be depressed about. Money can be made again but memories like this last a life time... like a diamond ring (until you lose it).
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor