what happened to Apollo Smile?

Started by jinnai_animexcalibur, January 30, 2004, 05:56:30 PM

jinnai_animexcalibur

she was popular in the late 90's, but kinda phased out of the fandom ring now...where is she now?
Official Katsuhiko Jinnai Myspace Page

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

AnimE'xcalibur/Shinoda Sound Recordings

www.shinodasound.com

ChenCzen

good question... i had some of her music a long time ago, and i remember her introing anime on the sci-fi network way back when... but now that you mention it where did she go to?

Her music wasnt any good, but who cared right?

gonna have to google this one...

EDIT: it appears she just completed a movie, in which she plays a night club dancer... its called Raising Helen (pg-13) which is a drama/comedy. I guess shes still getting work.
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

KinFreon

I was thinking she would have been acting in cinema of the "Bow-Chicka-Wow-Wow" persuasion. XD *LOL*

EDIT AFTER CONSULTING IMDb...

It seems she did have a lead role in an obscure 2002 crime movie called "Division Trade". It looks like this movie didn't make any noise, though, and it sure didn't register a blip in multiplex radar. Heck, I never heard of it.

She was also a photo double for Britney Murphy in promotional work for the movie "Uptown Girls".

All else that's listed, if anything, are her obvious voice works in anime and video games. Otherwise, this site doesn't list anything that preceding posts haven't already mentioned, nor do they go into any other details (ie: her career as the self-proclaimed "Live-Action Anime Girl" or as a struggling pop singer).

ChenCzen

yeah, that was my thoughts exactly. Give it time, the way her career is headed... not to be mean or anything, but shes gone from b-list celeb to b-movies. its kinda sad.
Except for ending communism, slavery, nazism, and fascism, WAR HAS NEVER SOLVED ANYTHING!!

jinnai_animexcalibur

yea i brought this up because, i was reading an ancient issue of animerica, and it had Apollo Smile in it, and i was like..."hmm she had songs?" then i realized..."wait, where the hell is she now?!"

Katsuhiko Jinnai "The Anime Convention Experience" - NEW ORIGINAL CD - COMING SUMMER 2009.

www.shinodasound.com

KinFreon

I remember one of her earliest songs was actually on the soundtrack to the Tom Cruise stock car racing movie, "Days of Thunder". I don't know if she was into anime back then, though.

0t4k00

Poor Apollo Smile :cry: she faded into the crowd. I just wonder will there be any girls or boys that will follow in her foot steps to become the next live action anime girl or boy and success farther than before. I mean like "sssuuupppeeerrr staaaarrrr"  8) . Then when that super star reaches the golden globes they will cosplay and raise the popularity of anime.

I wonder is this just a dream or a prophecy? *looks at the chobits girls from cosplay.com on his desk top and wonders* only time will tell.
Time heals all wounds, but the scars remain.

Censor ship sucks.

KinFreon

I thought I would be like that, between my talents and my personality. I actually had a good fan following for a long time. But then there were people who felt threatened, and a lot of those people were in positions of power and/or influence.

I won't go into details of the rock star-esque fun nor the crappy controversy I went through between my first con in 98 and now. But I will say it pretty much was a good preparation for when I do actually become a tad bit more famous. I guess you could say I was..."almost famous". XD

As I always say at the start of every con..."you may not know me now...but you will by the end of the weekend." ^_~

jinnai_animexcalibur

hmm i think i am on the start of something big...but i wont let it get to my head. i still keep in close contact to my fandom ways.

www.shinodasound.com

ChenCzen

Quote from: "0t4k00"Poor Apollo Smile :cry: she faded into the crowd. I just wonder will there be any girls or boys that will follow in her foot steps to become the next live action anime girl or boy and success farther than before. I mean like "sssuuupppeeerrr staaaarrrr"  8) . Then when that super star reaches the golden globes they will cosplay and raise the popularity of anime.

I wonder is this just a dream or a prophecy? *looks at the chobits girls from cosplay.com on his desk top and wonders* only time will tell.

I think we are a long way away from that happening again. The main reason being that it isnt that marketable. Apollo smile did music, acting, and guest appearances on tv and so on and she still disapeared. What would the next anime spokesperson do to keep a hold of that title?

What would he/she sell? people put financial support behind apollo because they thought she could make them money. thats how people become bonafide celebrities. record execs, movie companies, etc. all promote and pay celebrities to do things they think will make them more money. but what would the cosplay it person sell? i wouldnt buy anime because apollo smile recommended it, and i doubt id do it now for anyone else.

There are however several ways to become a cosplay celebrity that come to mind...

KinFreon

Two words, y'all (especially for a guy like me, who's got the talent and personality, but not the looks)...

"Virtual Idol"!

Although it doesn't have to be as elaborate as Sharon Apple, nor as disastrous and tragic, nor even as weirded out as all those other Virtual Idol stories in anime and movies (anyone remember the Al Pacino movie "S1M0NE"?), it can be done. And not just with creating women, either. Men can be created into virtual idols as well.

I may sound like some crazed genius when I say this...but we have the technology! This can be accomplished! We might be able to make anyone, at all, into the next Apollo Smile! We could even make her look EXACTLY LIKE Apollo Smile, because it will only be Apollo Smile's image on that screen while someone else performs it. We can make her faster, stronger, sexier, genkier...and better!

ChenCzen

hey, i was just watching macross plus!

well im talking about a tangible flesh and blood cosplay idol.

the first step would most likely be a cosplay pegeant, like 'miss fanime'. it also requires other cons to follow suit and have their own contests.