Lanyards??

Started by Online, April 06, 2010, 09:18:10 AM

Fanime '08 i heard had lanyards for people. '09 didnt give out any so i was wondering if there would be some this year???

Avairrianna

I second this question because I'd like to be more prepared this year and bring my own if we aren't getting lanyards.
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

ewu

so far its negativo, but if you can find a sponsor u might just get them:)
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Quote from: ewu on April 06, 2010, 08:46:30 PM
so far its negativo, but if you can find a sponsor u might just get them:)

sucks but atleast i know to just bring my own.  Thanks alot =D

michiko nakano

lanyards are too expensive i guess.  but at least there were cool pocket guides and programs!

my friend gave me hers from 2008, and i'm going to use it next year. 

but hey, the badge clips were pretty convenient at times.  i enjoyed them  :)

Tsuchimi Rin-chan

Lanyards are very expensive.  Back in 2008 Nvidia Sponsored Fanime con by giving these lanyards to us so we can go to their con.  Fanime does not have a resources to do so as it costs extra money.

I know its convenient unless you have a huge budget like Anime Expo for instance that has tons of Sponsors to go with their budget, Fanime has a very limited budget.  They go only so far as to give all pre registrants a nice laminated badge.

Just bring your old Fanime 2008 Lanyard.  Unless a huge company can sponsor Fanime, there is no way unless we are really lucky again to strike gold that we will get new Lanyards to accomodate 15,000 plus attendee during the 4-5 day convention weekend.
Jason Nagal Estioko
Fanime Con Attendee from 1998 to current 2011. (12 years and counting!) Fanime Con 2006 E-Gaming Department Staffer
Animation on Display (San Francisco's Animation Convention) Video Game Staffer since 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011.

ewu

we can get lanyards, but would much rather spend that on programing, more guest, and bigger musical guests.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Elimeno

Quote from: ewu on April 08, 2010, 10:25:52 AM
we can get lanyards, but would much rather spend that on programing, more guest, and bigger musical guests.

I say you keep rolling with that one
Know much about purgatory? It's the world we live in now, and Halloween is the day a damned soul in purgatory can be released into heaven, if he prays hard enough. Say your prayers. - Vincent Volaju

Tony

I don't want to get *too* much into the pricing details, but we pretty much have to budget about $1 per lanyard. (Yeah, I know production costs are way less than that, but there are complications that bring the price-per-lanyard to about $1.)

Like Eric said, we'd rather spend that ~$16,000 on events. But maybe a sponsorship will come through.

Otherwise, I guess we could charge for it. Anyone want to pay $1 for a lanyard?
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

Sorry guys, that's $2 per lanyard....as forum mob boss, I need my cut too, unless you want threads to mysteriously disappear and need to wade through 30 stickies from 2007  before the real posts...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Avairrianna

I'd be fine with buying a lanyard at $2. I'd probably shell out $5 for one they are that useful. If they were sold at the table like the Fanime shirts are would there be a possibility in years to come or even this year?
Cosplays in work:
?

Gatherings in charge of in 2017:
Steven Universe

Jerry

Quote from: Tony on April 09, 2010, 08:22:02 AM
Like Eric said, we'd rather spend that ~$16,000 on events. But maybe a sponsorship will come through.

Funny how something as simple as landyards could easily rack up a bill like that. But I'd say definitely a good call using it towards Events the fans would appreciate!

In this economy, every penny counts. :D
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

Moonblossom

Quote from: Avairrianna on April 09, 2010, 12:06:33 PM
I'd be fine with buying a lanyard at $2. I'd probably shell out $5 for one they are that useful. If they were sold at the table like the Fanime shirts are would there be a possibility in years to come or even this year?

I think the problem with this is there's still an initial investment required. Say they buy 10,000 lanyards at $2 each, but only sell 2000, even at $5 each. That's still an investment of $20 grand for a return of only $10 grand.

Kyra_Maverick

If you don't put the year on them, you can sell lanyards forever. Whatever is left over goes in the pile for next year.

I think selling lanyards is a good idea. Especially if they have the alligator style clips. The clip used for the 2008 lanyard would rip through the plastic sleeve after the second or third day.

If the same company that prints the Fanime shirts can print on lanyards too, they could be sold at the same table. 

Gwydion

I always use the lanyard I got at Otakon 05 for all my badges. Just clip the new one on and move the old one to the back. Someday I'll have a huge pile of them. ^^

LOVE.SAE

The lanyards are convenient, but I prefer the clips because of my cosplay. I rather un-clip and clip on my badge when getting photographed instead of taking off the lanyard and putting it back on repetitively. Photographers usually ask to remove your badge so it's more convenient for me as clips.

FanFicGuru

Just curious: is there anyone on the staff who has made such "pitches" to Bay Area businesses to get lanyards? I agree that the lanyards are pretty cool to have, but also agree that paying 16-20k on them is a bit silly when we could bring out some awesome guests or bands instead.

Still, asking Adobe, Nvidia, etc. wouldn't hurt.
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

ewu

we have a marketing department that has been doing just that to no avail.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

billgoku

I still have my 08 one, used it last year, but its fallen apart so I need to resow it.
Fanime 10 2 weeks away...
Member of Bleach Gathering 2009
Cosplays plans in 10: Ichigo , few possibles...
: Onizuka (GTO) (Yes, this year I will do him no matter what.)

michiko nakano

so basically, if you want a lanyard... either get someone's from 2008, bring your own, or just get a piece of string or pretty ribbon (even one that matches your costume perhaps) and you're all set.