Lanyards??

Started by Online, April 06, 2010, 09:18:10 AM

Jerry

Quote from: michiko nakano on April 17, 2010, 06:21:59 PM
so basically, if you want a lanyard... either get someone's from 2008, bring your own, or just get a piece of string or pretty ribbon (even one that matches your costume perhaps) and you're all set.

or have a friend get you a landyard from 2008 ;)
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

heeroyuy135

Since the lanyard from '08 (which I also used in '09) has some valuable merchandise, I'll be bringing one that my local college uses (I go to Sac State)

michiko nakano

Quote from: Jerry on April 19, 2010, 12:25:57 AM
so basically, if you want a lanyard... either get someone's from 2008, bring your own, or just get a piece of string or pretty ribbon (even one that matches your costume perhaps) and you're all set.

hence i said "get someone's from 2008"

FanFicGuru

Quote from: michiko nakano on April 20, 2010, 09:20:45 AM

He says Tomato, you say Ketchup. Same difference. :-)

Anyways, you would think more companies would leap at the chance to get extensive publicity out there by supplying lanyards at least to the Pre-reg'd people. Maybe we should all write letters...
Fanime attendee since 2004
Swap meet staff - 2014
Swap meet co-chair - 2015

Tony

Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 20, 2010, 02:00:56 PM

Anyways, you would think more companies would leap at the chance to get extensive publicity out there by supplying lanyards at least to the Pre-reg'd people. Maybe we should all write letters...
Nah. Companies don't care about marketing to 15,000+ people of a key age and financial demographic during a four-day period in which these people are in a state of high excitability and are actively looking to spend money. There's just no business case for that.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

ewu

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2010, 09:03:10 PM
Nah. Companies don't care about marketing to 15,000+ people of a key age and financial demographic during a four-day period in which these people are in a state of high excitability and are actively looking to spend money. There's just no business case for that.

If I may translate as I did here, TonyChair is being sarcastic...
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Steve.Young

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2010, 09:03:10 PM
Quote from: FanFicGuru on April 20, 2010, 02:00:56 PM

Hey leave business analytics to those of us with business degrees ok? thanks <3 :) ;)
Director of Marketing
Staff Moderator - Fanime Forums.

Please PM me with any questions, comments, or concerns.

Steve[AT]Fanime[DOT]Com

GokuMew2

Hmm...

How about giving attendees the option? Like have it as an option when pre-registering. If they check the box to get a lanyard, they pay $2 (or whatever) extra to cover the cost of that lanyard. You can also make lanyards a pre-reg only incentive in addition to the spiffy laminated badge.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Dany

SiliCon (a small sci-fi convention for those who aren't local to the Bay Area) one year got a ton of Bad Boys Bail Bonds lanyards. I think they have been using them for the last several years because they had such a huge supply. I am not sure whether the con paid for them or if B4 provided them, but that supply has provided for at least the last two conventions they've held, and I think they have some still for 2011 (they are taking this year off).

I've gotten several, but only actually kept one...and that was because it was the first one I ever saw in black and red (two of my favorite colors).

Probably not the "best" lanyard ever, or one sponsored by someone big-time, but most people at that con just thought it was a good laugh more than anything else. Bonus: If you find yourself in a situation where you need bail... XD

As for myself..I have a TON of lanyards from various events events (several SDCCs, RSA, MacWorld, the aforementioned black and red B4, and a couple of Badtz Maru ones I've purchased), but as someone else has said, I tend to use clips for when I'm in costume. I usually end up using the lanyards for when I'm in civvies.
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

ewu

Quote from: GokuMew2 on April 28, 2010, 07:00:00 AM

How about giving attendees the option? Like have it as an option when pre-registering. If they check the box to get a lanyard, they pay $2 (or whatever) extra to cover the cost of that lanyard. You can also make lanyards a pre-reg only incentive in addition to the spiffy laminated badge.

The optional plan probably will not happen. If we get lanyards, it will be all or nothing. Inventory is something that we would not want especially when we do not know the demand.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

GokuMew2

Quote from: ewu on April 28, 2010, 08:44:50 AM
Quote from: GokuMew2 on April 28, 2010, 07:00:00 AM

The optional plan probably will not happen. If we get lanyards, it will be all or nothing. Inventory is something that we would not want especially when we do not know the demand.

That's why I thought of having them as pre-reg only options so you know ahead of time how many people want them (and they've already paid) and can order accordingly after pre-reg has closed. But well, if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Hopefully we can get a sponsor or something because lanyards really are a nice extra.
< Mew >
FanimeCon Guest Relations (2009 - Present)
Person who gets Japanese guests

Kyra_Maverick

I was really happy to see lanyards back again this year! Also, not including the year was a good idea, just use them again and again. The red text on staff lanyards was a quick way to identify them, very useful.

chifunii

Quote from: Kyra_Maverick on June 01, 2010, 01:41:38 PM
The red text on staff lanyards was a quick way to identify them, very useful.

I agree completely--It was SUPER easy to spot the staff just by looking at the lanyard! (even though I was about 20 feet away~)
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

Akito_starwind

Quote from: chifunii on June 01, 2010, 04:53:37 PM

I agree completely--It was SUPER easy to spot the staff just by looking at the lanyard! (even though I was about 20 feet away~)

I hope that's not a "I see a cop, act cool" kinda easy to spot. he he j/k .
but ya Great job on the red text. now i just want all under age members to have there own color badge :)  "Your 19....... RIGHT................" walks away....... uh I mean to help keeping those under age out of the wrong rooms  ;D    

chifunii

Quote from: Akito_starwind on June 02, 2010, 08:59:06 PM
Quote from: chifunii on June 01, 2010, 04:53:37 PM

I hope that's not a "I see a cop, act cool" kinda easy to spot. he he j/k .
but ya Great job on the red text. now i just want all under age members to have there own color badge :)  "Your 19....... RIGHT................" walks away....... uh I mean to help keeping those under age out of the wrong rooms  ;D    

More like a "That person is helping make this con tick. Awesome." kind of easy to spot.
Fanime isn't the place to take chances with cops. If you're out, you could be out foreverrrrr. Not worth it. (Not worth it anywhere, but yeah).

As a revision to your suggestion for underage lanyards, wouldn't just having a separate marker on their badge [pre-lamination] notifying their under-age-ness be better than making a special color lanyard and whatnot? Lanyards aren't exactly the most cost-effective thing in the world...and plus, people could change lanyards.

Actually, let's just keep it at staff = red, con-goers = white. legiittt
FanimeCon attendee: 2008-

M

Quote from: chifunii on June 02, 2010, 10:19:59 PMMore like a "That person is helping make this con tick. Awesome." kind of easy to spot.
Fanime isn't the place to take chances with cops. If you're out, you could be out foreverrrrr. Not worth it. (Not worth it anywhere, but yeah).

As a revision to your suggestion for underage lanyards, wouldn't just having a separate marker on their badge [pre-lamination] notifying their under-age-ness be better than making a special color lanyard and whatnot? Lanyards aren't exactly the most cost-effective thing in the world...and plus, people could change lanyards.

Actually, let's just keep it at staff = red, con-goers = white. legiittt
Please remember that although we do check ID, we don't require that members give us their age in the database. Besides, changing lanyards is really easy and we would still need to check ID for various events regardless of lanyard color. :P
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

michiko nakano

bravo with the lanyards, fanime people.  i really appreciated it  :)

Rhornez

Quote from: Online on April 06, 2010, 09:18:10 AM
Fanime '08 i heard had lanyards for people. '09 didnt give out any so i was wondering if there would be some this year???
I still have my lanyard from 08 :3 u jelly

Been going to Fanime Since 2008

Rin_chan

I just bought my own lanyard last year from the hello kitty store in my city. i didn't know that we got them when we picked up our badges but i still liked having my own personal one. plus the ID sleeve it came with was perfect to hold my hotel room key in so i didn't have to dig threw my bag to find it every time.