FanimeCon iPhone/Android/Blackberry/mobile app?

Started by heeroyuy135, April 18, 2010, 07:29:42 PM

heeroyuy135

If we could find someone who could do it, wouldn't it be cool if FanimeCon had its own mobile (like iPhone and/or Android and/or Blackberry) application? It could be used as real-time communication between the con and its attendees. Need to see when a panel is taking place? When's a cosplay gathering? Who exactly is LM.C? You can have different tabs - one for cosplay, panels, events, places to eat, and so fourth - that could answer these questions. I wouldn't mind paying for it either.

Tony

Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

heeroyuy135

ewu

Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

LordKefka

FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

Hachimitsu

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 18, 2010, 07:29:42 PM
If we could find someone who could do it, wouldn't it be cool if FanimeCon had its own mobile (like iPhone and/or Android and/or Blackberry) application? It could be used as real-time communication between the con and its attendees. Need to see when a panel is taking place? When's a cosplay gathering? Who exactly is LM.C? You can have different tabs - one for cosplay, panels, events, places to eat, and so fourth - that could answer these questions. I wouldn't mind paying for it either.

This might be a nice and brightful idea to save paper from Tree cutting and saving space carrying when your trying to hold a coke on one hand and a flyer on the other. The problem is that its very complicated to do. In fact i am very positive that you need months in planning ahead. Coding on xml / css+ is tricky and it could cause some bugs on your phone. lets put it this way, Despite we have the technology to do this, it will rather not work since its too much of a hassle (fanime is kinda busy with other things). The only closest you can do is Load a pdf file on the Fanime site (Do they do those still?) on your (service carrier app).
as for paying the app, i Strongly suggest that your better off getting it for free, so it can be equally effective from a paper!

M

I'll take the time to put an actual reply instead of my boss and former minion up there. >:P

There is definitely plans to come up with a mobile version of our schedule. However, I'm not sure if it'll just be our schedule or possibly the entire fanime.com heirarchy.

NOTE: This is still in the planning stages and might not surface until after FanimeCon 2010. :)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

lyricaldanichan

Hmm I actually suggested this a year ago with sysadmin. It isn't too hard to make, but having the time to program and submit it takes a lot of work. I would imagine the app like the one made for MacWorld which a lot of people loved.

Dany

Quote from: lyricaldanichan on April 27, 2010, 09:37:10 PM
Hmm I actually suggested this a year ago with sysadmin. It isn't too hard to make, but having the time to program and submit it takes a lot of work. I would imagine the app like the one made for MacWorld which a lot of people loved.

Comic Con International has one as well that covers San Diego ComicCon, WonderCon and the Alternate Press Expo (APE). It was first released before SDCC last year, and was kind of "meh" then, but then I redownloaded it before WonderCon and it was a lot better.

It had the programming schedule and dealer's room listing, both of which you could favorite whatever you were planning to attend or looking for. Also had maps of the dealer room and programming areas.

But I do agree...it needs time to be worked on and submitted to Apple, then there's all the time after initial release to work out bugs and add improvements. I'd definitely be fine waiting until at least next year for such a thing so that it's not rushed :)
2012 Costumes (or so we hope!)
Ayukawa, Miime, Oscar, Yuria, D'Eon

boots01

worst case scenario, there is always the twitter feed which gets a fair amount of use during the con.  i've heard rumors that a few new departments might be trying it out this year, but that remains to be seen.
-Eugene
2001 Video Programming Staffer
2002 Acting Video Programming Head
2003-5 Masquerade 2nd.
2006 Special Projects
2007-9 BW Ball Head
2010 Yamaga Party Coordinator
2011 HR Staffer

sigh,

so much anime to watch, so little time

lyricaldanichan

Agreed

For now everybody should use twitter since it is easy to access on any platform and fanimecon has been really good about updating the feeds especially any last minute changes.

Quote from: boots01 on May 02, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
worst case scenario, there is always the twitter feed which gets a fair amount of use during the con.  i've heard rumors that a few new departments might be trying it out this year, but that remains to be seen.

Jerry

that or just make ALOT of friends tied to the awesome underbelly of the Convention---

then just have an app on your phone so that you can e-stalk their every move when it comes to Fanime only---

it would be weird if your started following their personal lives... that would be a little overboard.  >_<
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jerry.pang

Games, Friends & Fanime oh my! :D

M

Quote from: boots01 on May 02, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
worst case scenario, there is always the twitter feed which gets a fair amount of use during the con.  i've heard rumors that a few new departments might be trying it out this year, but that remains to be seen.
We do use our Twitter account during FanimeCon to remind people of our major programming. example -> http://twitter.com/FanimeCon/status/1914462707
But as far as I know, not every department submits stuff to it.
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!