How do you beat the heat during Fanime?

Started by Aliwhatever, April 19, 2010, 03:29:21 PM

Aliwhatever

I remember last year when it was a little on the warm side. My group chugged down plenty of water bottles. but I was still painfully warm in my costume.

I was just wondering how you guys stay cool? The weather here is starting to get warm again for summer D:

Charis

I always wind up getting too warm -- the legacy of multi-layered, fabric-heavy costumes -- but here's what I usually wind up doing to mitigate that.

- staying out of the sun (or at least the direct sun), and ducking back indoors into the nice A/C where possible
- keeping hydrated (don't forget that sugary drinks and caffeine won't really help with that)
- carrying a fan (I use a fold-out hand fan, but know folks who carry little battery-powered portable ones) at all times
- making my cosplays out of breathable materials, and natural fibre wherever possible
- failing all else, putting a cold water bottle or cup of ice on pulse points -- wrists, ankles, neck -- helps if it comes to that
- don't shock your system; if you get too warm, cool off gradually -- you'll feel better for having done so rather than just diving right in front of the A/C at full blast

What you wear does, in my experience, make a tremendous difference; I've worked Renaissance Faires on the Central Coast for years now, and putting my stuff on while it's still cooler and making it out of cottons/linens/silks has allowed me to stay relatively comfortable even in four skirts, chemise, pants, and fully lined bodice.  XD
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

Tsu

Kind of hard to follow up such awesome advice, but you might also consider downing something like a smoothie or frappucino from the con as well.  Those things are usually blended with ice, so they're a lot colder than just a bottle of water, and it'll reduce your core temperature quite a bit, at least for a while.  (Think of how cold you get drinking something like that in cool weather... same principal applies.)
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

xac

For some of my cosplays that have many layers (aka, are not skin tight), I'm sometimes able to incorporate ice packs into them. I also design them so that I can easily take them off if I start to overheat. During the day I try to stick inside, and at night I make trips outside to cool off.

And, as was said before, STAY HYDRATED! Don't forget to drink a lot of water! Not only will it help keep you cool, it'll also help you feel less sore the next day (water helps to dispose of lactic acid).

TC X0 Lt 0X

I am quite resistant to high tempatures for the most part, but if need be I can keep quite cool with water. It is also a reasonable plan to carry around some Tylenol for those who get headaches easy.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Nina Star 9

If you need to, don't be afraid to go back to your room and rest for a bit, or even take a dip in the hotel pool.

Stay hydrated, as well, You don't want to pass out from heat stroke. Try to avoid things that are too physical, especially if you are outside and/or in a really hot costume. I'd avoid things like coffee and soda, which will only make it worse. Plain ol' water is best, unless you are losing a -lot- of sweat, in which case you need a sports drink to replenish all those lost electolytes (but not really needed if you are just walking around and sweating a little).

If you tend to get hot easily, plan your cosplays accordingly. Wear your skimpiest costumes and costumes made out of breathable fabric during the hottest parts of the day, and save that full fursuit or vinyl coat for night.

Also, not about keeping cool but still relates to beating the heat: WEAR DEODORANT. SHOWER. USE SOAP. Con funk is bad enough if it's -not- hot out, but even worse when everyone's sweating like crazy.

I think everything else has been pretty well covered. :D

michiko nakano

find a nice patch of shady grass and lay down, perhaps in the park across the street.  or go swimming in the hotel pools.  as for staying in the convention, sit on some cold linoleum. 

Eboni ninja

Whenever you get a overheated, I suggest going into a viewing room and relax a little bit, they always have the rooms air conditioned. Oh and drink water throughout out the day, although I don't really follow my advice that much.
Cosplays for Fanime 2011:

ichigocorcor

i wear incredibly scanty costumes.

no seriously. xD
Third-Year Fanime Panelist~
Team Lift XMA&Pokemon Cafe
Cosplay Plans

Charis

Quote from: ichigocorcor on April 28, 2010, 12:38:24 PMi wear incredibly scanty costumes.

Which makes surprisingly little difference depending on your material choices. :D  I've had friends in about a yard of PVC total who were warmer than me in my ten-plus yards of cottons and silks.  But if you keep some of the major heatsink areas free in the process (wrists, ankles, back of neck, head), it definitely puts you a step up!
2012 Plans:
  • Gypsy Queen / Kaya Syokka (Trinity Blood)
  • Risai (Juuni Kokki/Twelve Kingdoms)
  • Shusui (Saiunkoku Monogatari)
  • others TBD

ichigocorcor

Quote from: Charis on April 28, 2010, 02:45:09 PM
Quote from: ichigocorcor on April 28, 2010, 12:38:24 PMi wear incredibly scanty costumes.

Which makes surprisingly little difference depending on your material choices. :D  I've had friends in about a yard of PVC total who were warmer than me in my ten-plus yards of cottons and silks.  But if you keep some of the major heatsink areas free in the process (wrists, ankles, back of neck, head), it definitely puts you a step up!

i hear ya there- but i really, really dislike fabrics that aren't cotton for pretty much that exact reason haha.
Cosplay Plans

Wild Dog

I'm curious, does the Convention supply Fanime with water coolers? (Or the equivalent of them) Or are they just pitchers in the individual rooms with ice water and drinking fountains?

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: Wild Dog on May 01, 2010, 10:53:45 PM
I'm curious, does the Convention supply Fanime with water coolers? (Or the equivalent of them) Or are they just pitchers in the individual rooms with ice water and drinking fountains?
They did in '08, not sure about '09 but I believe they did that year as well.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ichigocorcor

Quote from: Wild Dog on May 01, 2010, 10:53:45 PM

the hotels usually do, i know the hilton had one down by the dojo/18+ dance.
Cosplay Plans

Tony

There is limited water cooler service in the convention center.

There are water fountains all over the place, though - usually next to the bathrooms.

It's the same water (except the coolers are not free) so... ^^;
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

michiko nakano

my friends' solution seems pretty agreeable... gather in a hotel room, blast the ac, and have a lingerie party.

ichigocorcor

we had a lingerie party at comic con... but it was at night. i don't think i'd ever hang out in the hotel during the day D: heresy. sounds fun though :D
Cosplay Plans

Jelly Soup

Beat the heat?

How about stay in the highly air conditioned convention center? It was nice and cool all weekend last year (perhaps a bit too cold around midnight).

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: michiko nakano on May 05, 2010, 10:55:19 AM
my friends' solution seems pretty agreeable... gather in a hotel room, blast the ac, and have a lingerie party.

I invited, yes?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

ELDEMONIO

Drink Water that's cold and stay in the shadow.And Gatorade may help. I myself was actually cold liek half of the time.:D

But yeah, Water and gatorade should help.And bring mini fans i guess.