GET HYPE! General fighting game chat thread

Started by abcbadcat, April 20, 2010, 01:07:16 AM

LordKefka

xD

I dunno, I don't play some of the team I used to play anymore. I like a mix of like Strider/Cable/Doom or Hulk/Iron Man/BB

Stuff like Sent/Cable/Storm and Sent/Cable/Commando just aren't fun anymore.. was also never into the whole Santhrax crap either.. ~_~. Fingers are too dumb :V

EDIT: Oh a patch? They released like 3 new characters: Mu, Valk and Makoto. You gotta buy them though... -_-;.

I don't have any :V
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

I have my ways around buying things on LIVE so it's all good...

EDIT:
Did they make Racheal good Again?

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

Oh god no... she's like.. just as bad as Noel in CS... and that's pretty bad.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

Damn. I thought they would use the patch to actually attempt to balance the characters. Then I remembered that Game Developers don't know how to make Video Games anymore and sure as hell don't care about game balance.

Did any of the characters get rebalanced?

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

lol at people talking about fighting games and balance when they don't know anything... again.

-_-

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 09, 2011, 04:53:13 PM
lol at people talking about fighting games and balance when they don't know anything... again.

-_-

Well it's true you know.
Though I assume the community knows what they are talking about, and my opinions are based on what I read from them. You know, when I was attempting to learn all those months ago...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

LordKefka

Characters are fine and I like the challenge. Beating top tier chars is actually really satisfying and I get compliments and pats on the back at SF State, Fanime, MGL, SVGL and on PSN quite a bit even if I do lose sometimes 4-5 games in a row. People know a good player when they see one and losing doesn't mean you suck. It's giving someone the challenge what makes the game fun regardless of the outcome. It doesn't really matter who gets "rebalanced" or what not. All it matters is that you enjoy the char(s) you main and use. I've talked to many people who wish RA and BA would get nerfed but honestly, "bring it".

EDIT: And oh, I've gotten spanked by amazing Rachel players. Just means I got a little gap to fill in though =P
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

abcbadcat

I'm gonna be going back to MGL this Thursday for the $12 unlimited play thing since they got SSFIV:AE! :D

TC X0 Lt 0X

I am forgetful of the differences between the Fighting Communities and FPS Communities. If it was Halo there would be a lot of screaming and people talking about the size of each others genitals for no apparent reason. Except for maybe MLG playlist in Halo 3. That was a good environment.

As for balance, it just bothers me, no matter how slight the difference...

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Mizuki

Balance in fighting games is hard to get right. If everything was perfectly balanced on a 50/50 fighting field, gameplay would be boring, mediocre, and boring. It would just be Street Fighter 1. Every character would have the same moves, there would be no advantages nor disadvantages. What makes a fighting game good? Is it the imbalance that is present, but yet the imbalance does not hinder the characters ability to win and perform even if it is difficult for the character to win?.

Games that have imbalance, that aren't lopsided too hard, such as Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting, many of the characters in the game are playable, and can win, some characters just have a harder time; but while in a fighting game like Marvel vs Capcom 2, not every character is playable, and each character tier is obviously better than the tier below them. While Marvel vs Capcom 2 has a roster that has tier of characters that are almost unbeatable by the ones below them (exception would be like Top/high mid can fight each other) the "playable" tier is a quite big choice of characters.

I've pondered deep about imbalance, and it's really really hard to get right without constant testing and thinking, and if done wrong, you can end up with Super Street Fighter 2 HD Remix.

Even in First Person Shooters there are imbalances. I'll use Quake Team Fortress for an example, since it was one of the first games I took kind of seriously and thought a lot about. There are different classes, and each have their own unique abilities. Some classes just perform better against certain others. Even in deathmatch type games such as Doom where every player has the same amount of things the other players can do, it's imbalanced by where you spawn, what weapon is near you, what part of the map you are on, etc.

Games need imbalance to be enjoyable, and good, it's what makes games different. Would a fight between two people same size, same build, same technique be fun? Lets say they can only throw right jabs, and are only able to punch the other person in the stomach, and can only move back or forth. I wouldn't want to watch that fight.

TC X0 Lt 0X

Very Aware.
It is impossible to balance a fighting game perfectly without there being a no variety. But it can be balance it to insignificant levels. Problem being that at least as far as I know, almost no fighting games actually have balance patches, from my understanding to keep it true to the Arcade game. A main reason I wanted to get into Blazblue sense it was apparently going to be set up for balance patches to my understanding.
I don't think imbalance is what makes fighting games fun. It is variety. It is just that variety leads to imbalances in this case.

Some shooters can be unbalanced. Pending on game design, map design, and other factors. Though they can certainly be extremely balanced, at least for team games on Symmetrical or well designed Asymmetrical maps. Though this assumes that the game was designed in a fashion to allow balance, and that it's mechanics are not broken. FPS are all about map control, and as long as it well designed, players have all the same options available, and the game mechanics are not broken then there is balance. Talking in terms of Team Games of course. FFAs cannot really be balanced.

But that is a different topic entirely.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 10, 2011, 10:47:13 PM
Very Aware.
It is impossible to balance a fighting game perfectly without there being a no variety. But it can be balance it to insignificant levels. Problem being that at least as far as I know, almost no fighting games actually have balance patches, from my understanding to keep it true to the Arcade game. A main reason I wanted to get into Blazblue sense it was apparently going to be set up for balance patches to my understanding.
I don't think imbalance is what makes fighting games fun. It is variety. It is just that variety leads to imbalances in this case.

Impossible to realistically balance a game. Balance patches... hahahaha... balance patches tend to create new unbalances. Let's do the Viscant example since it's so easy to understand.

MvC2. Storm/Mags/Sent/Cable easily the top 4 chars in the game. Ok. let's change those chars. So that they're no so over powered. Or maybe, let's ban them. Ok... now that is done... Blackheart, Strider, Doom, Iron Man are super broken. Ok... rebalance them, then Cammy and other pixies become broken.

Rebalancing is near impossible, and almost every "rebalance" ever done has just created a different role of unbalance. A3 Upper, STHD, EVERY Guilty Gear, etc. etc. etc.

So what are you asking for? Even in "balanced" games, there's still imbalances. ST is considered one of the most balanced games ever. But there are super horrible matchups in the game. Ryu vs. Honda? Ryu just dominates. Blanka vs. Honda? Blanka has almost no chance. O.Sagat vs. Gief? Yeah, not even a match.

LordKefka

Very Aware.

Some shooters can be unbalanced. Pending on game design, map design, and other factors. Though they can certainly be extremely balanced, at least for team games on Symmetrical or well designed Asymmetrical maps. Though this assumes that the game was designed in a fashion to allow balance, and that it's mechanics are not broken. FPS are all about map control, and as long as it well designed, players have all the same options available, and the game mechanics are not broken then there is balance. Talking in terms of Team Games of course. FFAs cannot really be balanced.

But that is a different topic entirely.

Pretty much just enjoy the game for what it is is moral of the story. You can either pick characters you like, pick characters that have good matchups against other chars, both or don't play the game at all. It's really up to the individual to decide if they want to keep playing and not the responsibility of the game to change things until the person is happy with what they have to work with. That's just too much of a cop out. And honestly if you're going to play a character you like, win or lose, tier and all that bull crap doesn't really matter in the end. People know what a good and bad match up in CS is already by now. Two players can be equally skilled and in fact one can be more skilled overall as a player of that char than the other person and still can end up losing because well... a bad match up is still a bad match up. Truth be told after playing Noel in CS for a few days, I really wanted to quit. But then I thought back to when I "fell in love" with her character back in 09 at Fanime, I knew I wanted to learn and main her when I saw her in action. Everyone wants to win sure. You can go ahead and pick a sub char with a better match up sure, but people who quit using a character completely or even playing the game for that matter because they can't win more than they want I really don't take too much liking to.

Anyways on the subject of all this talk about balance and tiers and what not, I went to SF State again today and a pretty decent Litchi player showed up but picked Haz instead of Litchi saying it would be a bad match up for Noel. After a few games vs Haz, I had to literally tell him to play Litchi cause I don't mind a challenge and I'm fine playing against any char. For the next hour we pretty much exchanged wins and losses evenly. He had some damn good B&B with Litchi as well with 4K+ combos and corner traps consistently. Both left with hand shakes and names exchanged. Fun times in the past few visits to Rack and Cue that's for sure.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

TC X0 Lt 0X

Quote from: PyronIkari on January 10, 2011, 11:46:11 PM
Very Aware.

Impossible to realistically balance a game. Balance patches... hahahaha... balance patches tend to create new unbalances. Let's do the Viscant example since it's so easy to understand.

MvC2. Storm/Mags/Sent/Cable easily the top 4 chars in the game. Ok. let's change those chars. So that they're no so over powered. Or maybe, let's ban them. Ok... now that is done... Blackheart, Strider, Doom, Iron Man are super broken. Ok... rebalance them, then Cammy and other pixies become broken.

Rebalancing is near impossible, and almost every "rebalance" ever done has just created a different role of unbalance. A3 Upper, STHD, EVERY Guilty Gear, etc. etc. etc.

So what are you asking for? Even in "balanced" games, there's still imbalances. ST is considered one of the most balanced games ever. But there are super horrible matchups in the game. Ryu vs. Honda? Ryu just dominates. Blanka vs. Honda? Blanka has almost no chance. O.Sagat vs. Gief? Yeah, not even a match.

It is true that balance patches can lead to other unbalances, but you can't expect a game to be balanced in just one attempt. It is a constant process of patches coming thru that begins to effect the game as a whole. While you will never balance the game completely of course, you can potentially leave it in a better state then what it was.

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

PyronIkari

Quote from: TC_X0_Lt_0X on January 11, 2011, 08:27:49 PM
Quote from: PyronIkari on January 10, 2011, 11:46:11 PM
Very Aware.

It is true that balance patches can lead to other unbalances, but you can't expect a game to be balanced in just one attempt. It is a constant process of patches coming thru that begins to effect the game as a whole. While you will never balance the game completely of course, you can potentially leave it in a better state then what it was.

And you can potentially leave it at a state that is WORSE off than it was. See ST:HD, SFZ3: Upper, Super Street Fighter, A2 Gold, MvC2 Dreamcast version, MvC2 PS2/Xbox, 3S Dreamcast version, Soul Calibur II post ver 2.1, etc.

Especially when things take years to actually figure out realistically, "balance patches" are basically an excuse for companies to release subpar products with the notion of "well we can just fix it later".

Balance *IS* important, but most games are released in a way that they're not so unbalanced that characters are useless, and maybe only 1 or 2 are really useless... but most importantly the top tier are not so godly that they completely dominate(this is the most important thing). Blazblue's upgrade shifted tiers... but realistically, it was just as unbalanced(or balanced) as it was in CS, there was just a change in how the game played and diff chars were top. Well except Arakune who is still top.

More important than "tiers" is matchups. Because even if a character is top tier, if 1 character beats them badly, then who cares? Learn the game for what it is. If they "rebalance" or "upgrade" or "make it worse" then you learn that game and how it works. The games are static, it's up to the player to be dynamic.

LordKefka

Ok so out of pure randomness I happen to come across a PS3, LCD TV a MvC2 stick and Blazblue:CS (>_>;;)

Can't wait to see who plays this on the West Coast on PSN =P
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

LordKefka

A good amount of players here on the West Coast compared to back in Boston.

anyone up for a match add me on PSN: lenftw

Usually the room is called 'bay area'... though technically anyone who doesn't lag can join and play..>_>
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi)

Now that the launch party is over...

...who's all getting Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? :D
eGaming Head / FanimeCon, SacAnime, Y-Con, Kintoki-Con, Deceptikon
Tournament Director / AOD
Anime + Gaming Article Lead / GreenTeaGraffiti
Cosplays: Wii Remote, Pink DS Lite

L0Lpants

Quote from: xxxplizit (pogi1kenobi) on February 11, 2011, 05:35:03 PM
Now that the launch party is over...

...who's all getting Marvel Vs. Capcom 3? :D

*points to himself* ;D
~Swap Meet staffer: '10, '11, '12, '14

LordKefka

Meh... I don't know if I plan to pay a bunch of money to unlock chars... probably will cost me $100-$200.
Fanime Forums Moderator
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor