Press, taking video at main events, and theatre Union concerns

Started by kthardin, April 20, 2010, 04:47:34 PM

kthardin

I read something very strange on a discussion of this convention over on Facebook; figured I'd come here for confirmation.  There was some concern that the taking of any sort of video (much less the setting up of tripods for cameras and video) was being shutdown by the union that runs the theatre we typically have main events in...unless one were to pay some astronomical fee for the privilege.

The first question, from which all others would follow, is this truly the case?  Sounds pretty far fetched, all things considered since they've never had an issue with it before, but I figured it'd be better to find out now and see what courses of action would be available if indeed this turned out to be true.

PyronIkari

Quote from: kthardin on April 20, 2010, 04:47:34 PM
I read something very strange on a discussion of this convention over on Facebook; figured I'd come here for confirmation.  There was some concern that the taking of any sort of video (much less the setting up of tripods for cameras and video) was being shutdown by the union that runs the theatre we typically have main events in...unless one were to pay some astronomical fee for the privilege.

The first question, from which all others would follow, is this truly the case?  Sounds pretty far fetched, all things considered since they've never had an issue with it before, but I figured it'd be better to find out now and see what courses of action would be available if indeed this turned out to be true.

This isn't official but...

Unless the policy has changed last year this isn't the case. HOWEVER... video taping the events is up to the discretion of the performing artist. I.E. 2 years ago when AnCafe performed, no video/photography of any kind was allowed, whether you are press or not. However, Momoi encouraged video and photos and even allowed the concert to be streamed on NicoNicoDouga.

I'm sure as the con gets closer and this matter is actually brought up within negotiations the convention will put out something about whether or not photography/video is allowed.

ewu

I can tell you that any kind of photography at the LM.C concert is not permitted. Any live stream is not permitted and comes with heavy fines. Union issues may also arise if any equipment beyond a camcorder is used as it could imply broadcasting. Recording in the concert venues is also strictly limited, mainly due to union issues.

More importantly why are you taping anything? Taping for youtube is not cool. Personal use is futile too because the quality is bad, no stable shot, no direct audio feed, and a likely bad vantage point.

Just go to the events to enjoy them; taping them leads to a mediocre experience for you and a useless piece of junk for memories.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman
FanimeCon Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Tony

Quote from: kthardin on April 20, 2010, 04:47:34 PM

This is correct. Most of the facilities that FanimeCon use require Union labor for just about everything. Dealers, for example, cannot carry their own merchandise from the loading docks to their booths. The ushers, the people running the sound and lights and video at the masquerade - all union.

I'll point out that the public lies in something of a gray area here; it's why sometimes people get away with it. But there are complications that keep us cautious about letting our members do those things openly during our events. The four- to five-figure fees are one of them. ;D

As Eric and Pyron mentioned, though, FanimeCon does occasionally impose rules regardless of our own constraints - such as when an artist requests that no photography or video be taken. In those cases, even if photo/video were permissible, we'd still honor our guests' wishes.

And to echo Eric's sentiments... it's rare that the video comes out well. Trust me, I know.
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Head of MusicFest, which has the best damn staff out there, 2005-2008
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

tenton

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 20, 2010, 07:41:42 PM
However, Momoi encouraged video and photos and even allowed the concert to be streamed on NicoNicoDouga.

While she was okay with the concert being streamed, this might the source of the discussion; the stream was disallowed by the union workers (and the fee for doing that came about; it was a complicated matter). That was specifically for the live stream, though; they were okay with video recording and photo taking (that one is up to the artist and their management).

kthardin

Quote from: PyronIkari on April 20, 2010, 07:41:42 PM
Unless the policy has changed last year this isn't the case. HOWEVER... video taping the events is up to the discretion of the performing artist. I.E. 2 years ago when AnCafe performed, no video/photography of any kind was allowed, whether you are press or not. However, Momoi encouraged video and photos and even allowed the concert to be streamed on NicoNicoDouga.

I'm sure as the con gets closer and this matter is actually brought up within negotiations the convention will put out something about whether or not photography/video is allowed.

Thank you.  I'll keep an ear open then for further confirmation either way.

Quote from: ewu on April 20, 2010, 08:19:47 PM
I can tell you that any kind of photography at the LM.C concert is not permitted. Any live stream is not permitted and comes with heavy fines. Union issues may also arise if any equipment beyond a camcorder is used as it could imply broadcasting. Recording in the concert venues is also strictly limited, mainly due to union issues.

Well, I don't expect concerts to allow such things, which is why I was pleasantly surprised that Momoi allowed what she did.  Back in '02 I think it was, Yuki Kajiura allowed it at an Anime Expo event.  Both of which I have recordings of, and since it was allowed, I have given the general public access to them.  The ban on concert recordings is understood at all levels, and not really what I was asking about.  The next part on the other hand...

QuoteMore importantly why are you taping anything? Taping for youtube is not cool. Personal use is futile too because the quality is bad, no stable shot, no direct audio feed, and a likely bad vantage point.

Why you ask?  It's very simple.  Why do people take pictures?  Why do people have publicly accessible websites to showcase them?  Why do people write articles about what went down and share them with everyone?  Why has the internet grown up to allow such easy transmission of such articles?  Why do phones now have the capability of recording those fleeting moments and are then showcased on sites which have grown up to support such endeavors...Youtube for example whose use for such that you seem not to have much respect for judging by your casual dismissal in this context?  Why does American Cosplay Paradise exist?  Why do they film the masquerades at nearly every convention imaginable?  Why do they share it?

Same reason I do a lot of that.  Same reason so many, both amateur and professional, do that.  It does not matter if it's the best recording in the universe.  In all cases it's nowhere near as good as the full blown production that conventions have for their camera work...not that they ever share their recordings, and camcorder tech has come a long way from what it was, so even the 'not as good' excuse has little weight anymore (not that it truly ever did).  All that matters is that it WAS recorded and shared, that memories were captured, that the story can be told and experienced in a far more engaging way by both those that were there, those that were not there, and perhaps even more importantly, by those who put on the Masquerade who want to see what they did from the audience's perspective and without whose participation you'd NOT HAVE a Masquerade...or other event like a Battle of the Bands or an Idol contest (these guys REALLY starve to see how they did).

We do it because we're fans.  And we wish to share it with the world.  It doesn't hurt anyone at all, and brings joy to many.  FANime not sit-down-and-be-quiet-in-your-seat-like-a-good-little-boy-we-will-tell-you-where-how-and-what-to-enjoyime...right?

QuoteJust go to the events to enjoy them; taping them leads to a mediocre experience for you and a useless piece of junk for memories.

You're welcome to your opinion, though thankfully I'm absolutely certain that the vast majority of the congoers and staff do not share it.

Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2010, 09:28:10 PM
This is correct. Most of the facilities that FanimeCon use require Union labor for just about everything. Dealers, for example, cannot carry their own merchandise from the loading docks to their booths. The ushers, the people running the sound and lights and video at the masquerade - all union.

I'm aware of some of the strange constraints concerning union rules at convention centers.  The entire can't sell food for example always cracked me up.

QuoteI'll point out that the public lies in something of a gray area here; it's why sometimes people get away with it. But there are complications that keep us cautious about letting our members do those things openly during our events. The four- to five-figure fees are one of them. ;D

I can imagine.  However, I've never had a real issue with the main events manager letting me set up a tripod and film the Masquerade, for example.  It sounded from what I'd read (and I'll be damned if I can find the discussion again) that there was going to be some sort of crack down this year.  If so, I'd kinda like to know what that entails...as I'm sure most who do what I do would.  I suppose it would be a way to cut down on press membership requests if that's the case, but then you'd be getting into Anime Expo territory there, and many of their departments are openly hostile to both press and their own press department.  Fanime has always had an exceedingly higher track record as far treatment of convention attendees and press goes.

QuoteAs Eric and Pyron mentioned, though, FanimeCon does occasionally impose rules regardless of our own constraints - such as when an artist requests that no photography or video be taken. In those cases, even if photo/video were permissible, we'd still honor our guests' wishes.

I have no objections to this.  At the end of the day, I have no wish to force anyone to do anything they'd find objectionable in this context.  I would expect the same so I give the same.

QuoteAnd to echo Eric's sentiments... it's rare that the video comes out well. Trust me, I know.

Again, not the point.

Thank you all for your responses.  I'll be sure to keep checking as the convention rolls in closer.

Hikaru Kazushime

@kthardin:

Sounds like me and you are on the same level. I like what you did there. Looks like someone finally had the guts to stand up to talk about the photography issues.

I'd love to know why paying attendees wouldn't be allowed to bring their memories home with them.
The only thing I could understand, is if the guest/dealer/artist/person/event peoples/etc... asked for their pic to not be taken- otherwise it's pretty sad for the staff to just "decide" our freedoms of recording/sharing our memories/moments. I also think it's low for staff of all people to openly state how they feel about it, as one already has.

Love FanimeCon so much- I attend every single meeting and whatnot, faithfully pre-register every year...like so many others. Just eats me alive about the "crackdown" on media/bloggers/photography/etc this year.
Fanime is already beginning to get more commercial...just hoping and praying it doesn't evolve into another AX in the future.

jemz

Quote from: kthardin on April 21, 2010, 07:59:46 PM
I can imagine.  However, I've never had a real issue with the main events manager letting me set up a tripod and film the Masquerade, for example.  It sounded from what I'd read (and I'll be damned if I can find the discussion again) that there was going to be some sort of crack down this year.  If so, I'd kinda like to know what that entails...as I'm sure most who do what I do would.  I suppose it would be a way to cut down on press membership requests if that's the case, but then you'd be getting into Anime Expo territory there, and many of their departments are openly hostile to both press and their own press department.  Fanime has always had an exceedingly higher track record as far treatment of convention attendees and press goes.

QuoteAs Eric and Pyron mentioned, though, FanimeCon does occasionally impose rules regardless of our own constraints - such as when an artist requests that no photography or video be taken. In those cases, even if photo/video were permissible, we'd still honor our guests' wishes.

I have no objections to this.  At the end of the day, I have no wish to force anyone to do anything they'd find objectionable in this context.  I would expect the same so I give the same.
closer.

Usually, for the Cosplay Spectacular, Marisa doesn't have any objections but the Union does. We normally bow to the Union because they WILL impose really big fees that will impact who we get (GoHs) the following year. Union will not allow anything that looks like a camcorder (since that implies broadcasting). Cameras are okay because we allow pictures. But if you have a camcorder and filming, Union will tell us about it and then fine us. Which would lead us to be stricter on the policy and that will affect press.

As for the concerts, this is up to the discretion of the artist. Momoi allowed photography/filming but there were a few who tried to do a live stream and this is not allowed by the Union. LM.C and their label asked for photography and filming not to be allowed.

The staff does not "just 'decide' our freedoms of recording/sharing our memories/moments." We do take our attendees into consideration but will always ask our Musical Guests permission for photography/filming at their performances.
HR Staff
FanimeCon 2014 - 2018

Director of Extravaganzas
FanimeCon 2008 - 2012

Hey you are my PINKY // never cheat on me // 赤い糸で縛って

M

This shouldn't be a debate. Regardless of what our members want to do, we don't allow video in the Civic because it is union rule. As of right now, the only way we would be able to allow video release is to pay for it (and we're not talking about some small amount) and we have heard almost every suggestion/argument such as "FanimeCon should sell DVDs!" to "Just pay it!" and in the end, it's better that we focus our time and money on bringing better guests and making the FanimeCon experience better. I would not want to see any event lower their programming standard just to grant our members access to shooting videos of said programming.

In regards to why you would want to take pictures/video, this is definitely not up to debate as it is for whatever you want to do. Lets not dwell on this sub-topic for the entire conversation regardless of if you want to capture your memories with a Nokia camera phone or a three thousand dollar DSLR.

Quote from: Hikaru Kazushime on May 04, 2010, 04:34:26 AM
@kthardin: Sounds like me and you are on the same level. I like what you did there. Looks like someone finally had the guts to stand up to talk about the photography issues.

I'd love to know why paying attendees wouldn't be allowed to bring their memories home with them.
The only thing I could understand, is if the guest/dealer/artist/person/event peoples/etc... asked for their pic to not be taken- otherwise it's pretty sad for the staff to just "decide" our freedoms of recording/sharing our memories/moments. I also think it's low for staff of all people to openly state how they feel about it, as one already has.

Love FanimeCon so much- I attend every single meeting and whatnot, faithfully pre-register every year...like so many others. Just eats me alive about the "crackdown" on media/bloggers/photography/etc this year.
Fanime is already beginning to get more commercial...just hoping and praying it doesn't evolve into another AX in the future.
Hikaru, please read previous threads (or this post, even) about why we don't allow our members to take pictures/shoot videos at certain events. Stating opinion is hardly deciding freedoms and it's not like we're ever going to have any of our staff running around telling you that you are unable to shoot pictures / unable to record movies for no reason.

I would also like to see what you mean by this supposed "crackdown", but that's best over a e-mail or PM as this thread is no place for it.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean when you say that we're getting more "commercial", but we do have several ways for our members/fans to get in contact with us to express your opinion ("Gripe Session" during the convention, e-mail, staff PMs, etc.).

In the end, our motto stays true and you can ask the thousands of members that do bring up some pretty crazy ideas that end up becoming staple events at FanimeCon. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
(Former Fan Services Director, Registration Staff, & Volunteer)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

Hikaru Kazushime

@jemz and MPLe:

Glad to see that my fears were false, and that FanimeCon hasn't become corrupt. I don't have a single thing against you guys, and have volunteered countlessly to promote FanimeCon- I just don't want to see the convention become a money making machine that doesn't care about it's fans- and it hasn't.

My only concerns which I've stated in this thread and the LM.C thread, stands on the fact that I cannot see why a "ban or "crackdown" on journalists" make any sense at all. Footage and Pictures taken by fans/press will only promote the con.

However, I can completely understand the rules regarding LM.C, since they are the guests and they have asked nicely to not be recorded or photographed. I also now understand something I've never even heard of before- and that's the whole "UNION" talk. Didn't know there was an evil entity looming over the staff. The staff deserves a TON of respect for having to work under conditions where freedom is controlled in such a fun environment, especially when you have to make sure it doesn't effect the next year. I had no knowledge of this, so I thank you for the enlightenment.

As for a gripe session- I have no gripes now that I know the truth. Staff may not be aware but somebody that was probably confused as I was, started some kind of rumor about FanimeCon "cracking down" on journalists or anyone who either has a camera or camcorder. As far as my statement about FanimeCon becoming more commercial- this was intended to stand with my previous feelings that FanimeCon was becoming another AX.

It is still my belief that this is just for LM.C's events and the Masquerade. If not please tell me, because I want to know if I'm going to be allowed to carry my camcorder around the rest of the con such as convention hallways, cosplay photoshoots outside, dealer's hall and swap meet, and other areas- like many other people, it's a hobby of mine to the shoot conventions I've been to. I will obey any rules that state that certain areas disallow cameras/camcorders, but if I'm walking around with my camcorder in an open area that had no previous warnings against photography- I don't want someone to confiscate it and kick me out of the con. Sorry if I sound a little dense, but I want to be sure of everything I need to know.

Myself and other's understandings have been clouded due to the rumor- please clarify which events are currently known to disallow photography/recording? Forgive me for making this seem like a debate, but I believe this conversation still falls under this thread's topic, and I feel this is quite an important subject.

Thank you,

-Kazu

Tony

Quote from: Hikaru Kazushime on May 04, 2010, 05:49:59 PM...I don't want someone to confiscate it and kick me out of the con.
That wouldn't happen, unless you were filming something illegally, or were being hostile.  ;D

The most likely scenario is either a) you wouldn't be let into such events with your camera, or b) if you were flagrantly taking pictures in spite of a policy, you'd be asked to leave the particular event.

QuoteMyself and other's understandings have been clouded due to the rumor- please clarify which events are currently known to disallow photography/recording? Forgive me for making this seem like a debate, but I believe this conversation still falls under this thread's topic, and I feel this is quite an important subject.
LM.C and perhaps other bands may disallow photo/video at their event at the bands' request.

The facilities and union may have more stringent rules, which they are imposing. Generally we ask that no video recording take place in the Civic across the street - for example, during the Masquerade - because of their rules.

FanimeCon generally likes the exposure - I would personally LOVE if thousands of photos and hours of video came out, showing everyone how fun FanimeCon is, and getting people excited for next year.  ;D

Trust me, it's not really us.  :-\
Retired.
Tyrannical Board Admin, 2003-2015
Webmaster, 2003-2007
Convention Chair, 2009-2011
Director of Guest Relations, 2012
Something with Guest Relations, 2013
Father, 2014

LordKefka

Quote from: Tony on May 04, 2010, 07:03:10 PM

FanimeCon generally likes the exposure - I would personally LOVE if thousands of photos and hours of video came out, showing everyone how fun FanimeCon is, and getting people excited for next year.  ;D

It's a mutual feeling on my end as well Tony =)
FanimeCon Press, 2007-2012
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010-2012
AOD Press, 2011
Otakon Press, 2012
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2012
Anime Central Press, 2008
THEManime.org, Staff
Animesou.com, Editor

M

Quote from: Hikaru Kazushime on May 04, 2010, 05:49:59 PM
@jemz and MPLe:

Glad to see that my fears were false, and that FanimeCon hasn't become corrupt. I don't have a single thing against you guys, and have volunteered countlessly to promote FanimeCon- I just don't want to see the convention become a money making machine that doesn't care about it's fans- and it hasn't.

My only concerns which I've stated in this thread and the LM.C thread, stands on the fact that I cannot see why a "ban or "crackdown" on journalists" make any sense at all. Footage and Pictures taken by fans/press will only promote the con.

However, I can completely understand the rules regarding LM.C, since they are the guests and they have asked nicely to not be recorded or photographed. I also now understand something I've never even heard of before- and that's the whole "UNION" talk. Didn't know there was an evil entity looming over the staff. The staff deserves a TON of respect for having to work under conditions where freedom is controlled in such a fun environment, especially when you have to make sure it doesn't effect the next year. I had no knowledge of this, so I thank you for the enlightenment.

As for a gripe session- I have no gripes now that I know the truth. Staff may not be aware but somebody that was probably confused as I was, started some kind of rumor about FanimeCon "cracking down" on journalists or anyone who either has a camera or camcorder. As far as my statement about FanimeCon becoming more commercial- this was intended to stand with my previous feelings that FanimeCon was becoming another AX.

It is still my belief that this is just for LM.C's events and the Masquerade. If not please tell me, because I want to know if I'm going to be allowed to carry my camcorder around the rest of the con such as convention hallways, cosplay photoshoots outside, dealer's hall and swap meet, and other areas- like many other people, it's a hobby of mine to the shoot conventions I've been to. I will obey any rules that state that certain areas disallow cameras/camcorders, but if I'm walking around with my camcorder in an open area that had no previous warnings against photography- I don't want someone to confiscate it and kick me out of the con. Sorry if I sound a little dense, but I want to be sure of everything I need to know.

Myself and other's understandings have been clouded due to the rumor- please clarify which events are currently known to disallow photography/recording? Forgive me for making this seem like a debate, but I believe this conversation still falls under this thread's topic, and I feel this is quite an important subject.

Thank you,

-Kazu
Please do not consider the union rules "evil." The rules are set for a reason and although some may not agree, it is not our place to bash or bad talk them.

Events where photography/videography are not allowed will be marked on the schedule and (most likely) announced, but I can definitely say that you will at least receive a warning before anyone takes your camera and/or kicks your out of the convention.

Can I just ask for you and whoever else reads this, to just ask staff about rumors (feel COMPLETELY FREE to PM me if you want to keep it private) and get them verified? I have squashed many ridiculous rumors in the past, but they will keep coming up as long as people feel that staff has some crazy evil agenda to take over the world. Too many anime or something, I think. ;)
FanimeCon Head of Marketing & Director of Communications (2008-Current)
Have questions (about almost anything)? Message me!

kanauru

The Civic issue has been discussed but I was wondering if the same rules would apply if we went around the convention building halls to film and interviewing con-goers. I've seen some youtube video of this one guy that did this for the previous Fanimes so I was wondering if the same rules still applied. Halls meaning outside the dealer, artist halls etc but not outside the building itself. He stopped the videos so I wanted to continue from that, going around the con and talking with con-goers. Thank you.

ewu

Currently the only places that video and photo are not allowed are the two musicfest concerts. However, be prepared to either put away your cameras or return them to your car or room at the request of staff.

But basically, except the two concerts, the default is that photo and video are permissible.

oh, video rooms are kinda obvious too.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Diablatron

*whistle* The things you find trollin' some boards well past the time ya should be in bed.  Was a bit curious about some of this myslef this year, fortunately it wasn't a problem for no one that I can tell.  Hell most people were filming with whatever they had, and a few dozen people up front, press guys I think, had some tripods set up in the masquerade, and there's footage on youtube...so all is good as far as that goes.

Somethin' to really note though; not really somethin' I'm thinkin' needs addressed.  Let me quote and comment.

QuoteUsually, for the Cosplay Spectacular, Marisa doesn't have any objections but the Union does. We normally bow to the Union because they WILL impose really big fees that will impact who we get (GoHs) the following year. Union will not allow anything that looks like a camcorder (since that implies broadcasting). Cameras are okay because we allow pictures. But if you have a camcorder and filming, Union will tell us about it and then fine us. Which would lead us to be stricter on the policy and that will affect press.

Not really seen anything or anyone complain at all this year during the masquerade, which is the event I think yer referrin' to, in refernce to camcorders and such.  Same with the tripods.  I'd like to point out the title of this girl.

QuoteDirector of Extravaganzas
Fanime 2008 - 2010

And from this girl...

QuoteThis shouldn't be a debate. Regardless of what our members want to do, we don't allow video in the Civic because it is union rule. As of right now, the only way we would be able to allow video release is to pay for it (and we're not talking about some small amount) and we have heard almost every suggestion/argument such as "FanimeCon should sell DVDs!" to "Just pay it!" and in the end, it's better that we focus our time and money on bringing better guests and making the FanimeCon experience better. I would not want to see any event lower their programming standard just to grant our members access to shooting videos of said programming.

I'd like to point out again, didn't see anyone of any prominince, comin' down on anyone like a ton o' bricks in reference to people filimin'.  If there was gonna be that; I'd have expected a big o' warning on the main Fanime FAQ or somethin'.  Also, title:

QuoteFanimeCon 2008-2010 Marketing Director
http://www.blameebner.com
Have questions (about almost anything)? I'm a PM away.
"FanimeCon" not "Fanime" Tongue

Then we got this little number...

QuoteThe facilities and union may have more stringent rules, which they are imposing. Generally we ask that no video recording take place in the Civic across the street - for example, during the Masquerade - because of their rules.

FanimeCon generally likes the exposure - I would personally LOVE if thousands of photos and hours of video came out, showing everyone how fun FanimeCon is, and getting people excited for next year.  Grin

Trust me, it's not really us.  Undecided

Now I'm startin' to repeat myself, so I'll just post the title...

QuoteConvention Chair, 2009-2010
Tyrannical Board Admin
FanimeCon webmaster, 2003-2007

And this is from the convention chair folks.  Next up...

QuoteIt's a mutual feeling on my end as well Tony =)

from this guy...

QuoteFanimeCon Press, 2007-2010 (The best damn con there is!)
FanimeCon Registration Staff, 2007
Fanime Forums Moderator
Anime Boston Press, 2010
Anime Expo Press, 2008-2010
Anime Central Press, 2008

So far we got the convention chair and the big press guy saying it'd be cool to have tons a video and pictures (Best damn con is right).  Then we get to this little baby which is gonna need some further commentary...

QuotePlease do not consider the union rules "evil." The rules are set for a reason and although some may not agree, it is not our place to bash or bad talk them.

I would call that somewhat...oh...word...word...disengenuous maybe?  Basically we all know how screwed up some unions can get, so saying its not our place when we're the only ones that can do so (as there's no one else who can do it for us) when there's a legit issue is not being all that good for anyone involved.  On the other hand, sayin' we shouldn't be doin' it here makes more sense; causin' issues with Fanime that may need to be handled differently and all.

QuoteEvents where photography/videography are not allowed will be marked on the schedule and (most likely) announced, but I can definitely say that you will at least receive a warning before anyone takes your camera and/or kicks your out of the convention.

And tha'ts fine too.  Looks like the orginal question was tryin' to stave off the whole warnin' thing so he didn't have to be dissapointed about what he was plannin' on when he got there.  I'm pretty sure we all know things can change, but lookin' for answers before hand should be legit too.

QuoteCan I just ask for you and whoever else reads this, to just ask staff about rumors (feel COMPLETELY FREE to PM me if you want to keep it private) and get them verified? I have squashed many ridiculous rumors in the past, but they will keep coming up as long as people feel that staff has some crazy evil agenda to take over the world. Too many anime or something, I think.

Hey, wasn't that what was goin' on here?  :D  People asked some questions and people got their answers.  Looks like a workin' system overall.  Oh, and this guy's title...

QuoteFanimeCon 2008-2010 Marketing Director
http://www.blameebner.com
Have questions (about almost anything)? I'm a PM away.
"FanimeCon" not "Fanime" Tongue

Then we come to our final offerin'...

QuoteCurrently the only places that video and photo are not allowed are the two musicfest concerts. However, be prepared to either put away your cameras or return them to your car or room at the request of staff.

But basically, except the two concerts, the default is that photo and video are permissible.

oh, video rooms are kinda obvious too.

whose title is...

QuoteEric Wu
Assistant Director, Fanime Fan Services 2011
Fanime Forums Moderator

ericATfanimeDOTcom

Eric here had a quote before, but this one says about the same thing, so I didn't include that one.

Now, I don't mean to start something, but it really looks like you guys, given what you're individually sayin' and what actually happened, have a HUGE disconnect in yer comms between people and departments.  Nothin' major since it didn't really impact the people at the masquerade or in the con any, but it's been my experience when you see somethin' like this, there may be some tickin' time bombs waitin' later.  You guys may want to look into this, see where the breakdown is before someone not in the know starts something with a fan or another staff member in the know and it takes time at best to straighten and who knows what for worst case.

Other than that...helluva con guys, lookin' forward to anther.

ewu

Thanks for the heads up, but we are all very clear as the limits of photography and video recording. Please note the application to different events before noting differing stances on this topic.

There are two issues that contribute to the use of video. 1) artist's requests and 2) union rules. The artists requested no photo and video. The union charges Fanime a broadcast fee for certain video recording and broadcast. If such recording is done, the bricks will come down and come down hard.

Photography was limited at artist's request.

There may be other reasons, but these are the big ones.

Now b/c con is over and this thread is a month old, it is now locked.
Eric Wu
FanimeCon Chairman

ericATfanimeDOTcom