CEO: Bang Zoom to Cease Anime Dubbing in 2011 Without Fan Support

Started by heeroyuy135, April 26, 2010, 09:35:57 PM

heeroyuy135

From Eric P. Sherman, President and CEO of the anime dubbing company Bang Zoom! Entertainment:

You must have noticed by now that many of the publishers that brought anime to the West have been shut down or substantially down-sized. There are only a few places left still able to bring titles to our shores. This is a critical year for anime. There's no other way to say it. And I realized this morning that it was time for me to sound an urgent alarm.

If people don't resist the urge to get their fix illegally, the entire industry is about to fizzle out. It won't be a big dramatic change at this point. Last year we saw Bandai fire 90% of their staff on one Monday in January, and two years ago we saw Geneon (neé Pioneer) shut their doors and auction off their wares to the highest bidder. CPM died a slow, painful death. And ADV fell hard and fast, the way mighty giants will. But from here on, it won't be so exciting. Japan is already suffering and struggling to bring out quality titles. They can't rely on everything being picked up by US distributors anymore. And little by little, it just won't be here anymore.

You can't find much anime at Best Buy now. In fact, where can you find it for sale? Think about that.  There are fewer new titles coming out, and less and less stuff will be in English, because it's just not worth the cost of dubbing it. It's true that entertainment distribution models are going to be changing dramatically. DVD may be on the way out forever, and online TV is becoming a reality very quickly. But so far, there are no successful ways to monetize online entertainment. Not so that creators can afford to produce and distribute quality content.

Anime is going to die.

Unless YOU change. Right now. Stop stealing. If you have committed theft, robbery, shop-lifting, or just "downloading some stuff through torrent reactor,"  then just stop doing it — now.  You probably wouldn't go into a supermarket and put a package of swiss cheese under your shirt and walk out without paying. Nor would you walk into Best Buy and try to walk out with Guitar Hero, bypassing the cash register. Why? Is it because you might get caught? Or are there other issues, such as standards of morality, that dictate how you live your life.

The net, for all it's charms, is also a dark and dangerous place. When you're navigating it, you need to ask yourself this question:  Is this right, just because it is so easy? You need to understand that quality entertainment costs a lot to create. And if there is no one paying for this content, it just won't be made anymore. If no one bought tickets to a Lady Ga Ga show, she would not do the tour. That's just how it works. For some reason, people don't mind stealing their anime. I'm here to tell you flat out: This is wrong. You are doing something bad. And you need to stop it.

I'm sure that some of you reading this will laugh, close this window, and go download some more torrents. Why not? Who's going to know? Who's going to catch you?

I think this bears repetition, so I'll say it again: Not getting caught does not make what you are doing right. And I am pretty sure it doesn't make you feel good about yourself.  What you are doing is not only illegal, it is actually hurting many people. From the artists and creators, to the voice actors in the studios — all working to put food on their tables for their families. You can't see them, and you can't see the immediate results of your actions. But believe me, you are hurting people.

If what I'm saying resonates with you, then consider this a wake up call. A call to immediate and profound action. It's very easy to do.  You should support anime if you love it, by paying for it. Do the right thing. Plain and simple. Because if you don't, I can guarantee you that this time next year, Bang Zoom won't be bringing you anymore English language versions of it.

To all of those who support anime: a heartfelt thank you from all of us at the studio.

Eric P. Sherman, President & CEO, Bang Zoom! Entertainment / April 24, 2010

What do you guys think? Honestly, if American licensors like FUNimation and Bandai & American dubbers like Bang Zoom got anime over here quicker to the States, there wouldn't be that time lag to the point where we have to resort to illegal means. I'll use Durarara!! as an example - if I see it my way, there would already be a dub of the first 12 episodes airing on US TV and a DVD release coming soon while Japan is starting the 2nd part of the series.

PyronIkari

Quote from: HeeroYuy135 on April 26, 2010, 09:35:57 PM
From Eric P. Sherman, President and CEO of the anime dubbing company Bang Zoom! Entertainment:
What do you guys think? Honestly, if American licensors like FUNimation and Bandai & American dubbers like Bang Zoom got anime over here quicker to the States, there wouldn't be that time lag to the point where we have to resort to illegal means. I'll use Durarara!! as an example - if I see it my way, there would already be a dub of the first 12 episodes airing on US TV and a DVD release coming soon while Japan is starting the 2nd part of the series.

This is kinda impossible actually. Even big named things like blockbuster movies and Disney animated films who do their own international marketing and deals take upwards to months to properly release in other companies. Games take the same amount of time.

So while we would be getting it faster (6 months instead of 2 years) your average person will not be willing to wait that long if they know they can get it sooner.

Let's take something similar... but totally different. Doctor Who is a British show done by the BBC. Despite it... being in English and the BBC USA releasing it here in the states, the fact that it airs days apart is enough for a LOT of American fans to download the British broadcast instead of waiting to watch the US aired version. Keep in mind that this is a show that is broadcast on easily accessed television, let alone something that the consumer *MUST* purchase.

If we go that route. Legally this isn't justified at all, but the fact that something is aired on television elsewhere in the world(free), then put up on the internet within days(generally 2) shows the fact that... people believe they're entitled to at least what other people are able to freely access. The comparative is that, they have to wait for a US company to license it, for translation/dubbing to take place(which is an incredibly long process if you want it done right) and for a company to go through the proper channels to release it on DVD/BD what for a release date, then go and purchase it. Even then, the quality is questionable. Fansubbers translation skills are questionable, but most people don't care because, hey, it's free and fast. But when companies are licensing and officially releasing things and people are paying money for it... quality absolutely matters.

:::PERSONAL OPINION:::
I think Bang-Zooms quality as both dubs and translators suck. I have watched a lot of their shows, and even I can notice badly translated things. Their dubs are generally of poor quality. The reason for this is up in the air, it's not necessarily the VA's fault, as it could be the director, or the translation in the first place causing bad pacing.

As a side note, I worked in translation, and I have directed for a VA for a major production. I KNOW it's not an easy job, everything from beginning to start is difficult. Translating properly, pacing it correctly, editing... then choosing a suitable VA, to directing them, and spending time to make it as accurate as possible to match the production.
::::end of opinion:::

As consumers have to pay for anime and manga in Japan, a lot of people are turned off by localization. One Piece for example. One of the biggest series in Japan EVER, failed miserably in the US due to bad localization.

Dubs are the number one source of sales in terms of the US market. Most people that buy anime dvds are watching it dubbed. They're the ones that are at BestBuy or Wal-Mart buying anime DVDs, the ones that love dubs, as they are the majority of the market in the US. So I don't see the point of, claiming that "piraters of anime are the ones that are causing us to fail".

This reflex back to, "anime fans that are d/ling anime, the bigger anime fans, actually care about quality." So telling people like that to just buy anime and "are the reason why anime is failing in the US" is actually extremely off base, and that if they gave incentive to do so, people probably would. Most fans that are willing to buy DVD's are already buying DVDs despite also pirating anime beforehand. Those that pirate, most likely wouldn't have bought DVDs in the first place, whether or not it existed on the internet. This was the same basis of how pirating music is destroying the music industry, when it's not. So when anime companies start releasing better quality stuff and more incentive to consumers, they might get more customers, attacking pirates isn't going to increase their sales at all.

Dragon Ninja

(Clutches chest and starts hyperventiliating) No! NO! I won't allow it!! I must get more DVDs to support this cause!

Fanime 2013:
Naruto Uzumaki (Naruto Shippuden)
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)
The 9th Doctor (Doctor Who)

Downloads & Fansubs are evil. Support the Anime industry. Buy DVDs NOW

G.I.R

If it wern't for fan subs, and some of the import DVD's I buy (yes legal copies), I wouldn't know of a lot of the series that I do end up buying when they do come out eventually  on DVD.   Also, how many "Specialty" video companies have gone out of business in the last few years?  The economy isn't all that great right now remember.  And Geneon didn't go out of business, they closed up their U.S. division, and licensed out Most of their stuff to Funimation.  Probably to cut costs and overhead.

Devereaux

lol, what if we put just the fansubs up for free without the episodes and then have everyone by imports and kill off the market once and for all?
I 'ctrl' through Visual Novels to collect CG's so I can trick people into thinking I actually played the game.

TC X0 Lt 0X

I might support it if we actually had competent dubs in english. Past a few acceptable dubs most are terrible. Which is why I prefer Subs. I might not understand what they are saying but at least it sounds better then some of the garbage dubs out there.

That and I can care less to buy anime DVDs. If I can get something free easily with little risk, then I will. I have no moral objection to stealing something. All I care about is weather or not I will be caught. Though I find it hilarious what he compares stealing anime to. Stealing a Guitar Hero would be extremely difficult to do do to it's size. Cheese would be easy, but I can't say I would want to eat that cheese. Though both carry more danger then downloading a random file online for the most part. But if someone wanted to steal something and believe they can get away with it, they will attempt it.

Though bottom line if I start getting quality Dubs then I may buy them, assuming I like the Anime enough, otherwise Bang Zoom is out of luck.

"Never beg. You earn. By Winning.
Or else you won't get anything..."

Pro-Pocky Movement

GOT HYPE.

Dragon Ninja

Well I'm going to show my support and get the Haruhi Suzumiya box set later this week.

Fanime 2013:
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)

Dragon Ninja

Hitler here is very displeased by the news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icnDtUIIWvI

Support the Anime industry, people. Buy DVDs NOW!!

Fanime 2013:
Ichigo Kurosaki (Bleach)

Glitch

I don't feel like reposting my comments on this subject that I have posted on the animeTV forums, but here's a link to Sherman explaining what he said.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2010-05-06
Personally I think he's trying to cover his ass over the negative response his post got. Which he should have thought about before writing up something that sounded so one dimensional.

Tsu

I'm more than happy to buy DVDs for a series I really enjoy and watch more than once.  But that's probably 1 series every 2 years or so.  I mean, I watch American live-action TV shows and movies, but I don't buy the vast majority of them.  I know some people never buy the discs, but maybe they should start looking at what anime DVDs sell the best and what they're doing right in those series.. Not every anime is gold, after all.
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Second 2016-17
Fanimecon Music Video Contest Department Head 2014-15, 2018-2019

Eri Kagami

Marzgurl posted this video back in April. I agree with this video 100%.
http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videolinks/ir/marzgurl/ane/20909-ep-25-bang-zoom-over

If older titles that I grew up with were released and pimped out, I would buy. I'm looking forward to the X/1999 re-release. My old box set went MIA when I lent it out to someone. I'd like to pick up the original Fushigi Yuugi, and lots of out titles that went out of print. Now that I'm out of college and now that I'm making money, I can afford the dvds.